Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Luas/Metro lines we might like.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

jvan wrote: »
    True, but suggestions of 'ah sure a private company can pay for/run it' is the same kind of texts and comments that you hear being read out on the radio of late.

There was I think a Japanese company a few years back that would have builth the metro line f.o.c but they wanted some land rights along side it. you dont get anything for nothing. Been able to see what best fits all is not a bad way to look at rail projects. There can be private investors in rail you just have to make it attractive. In the long term it benefits the population of a service that would other wise never be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Whitworth should become a major interchange, including if Metrolink II gets built, If say Metrolink goes from Dublin SW, Harolds Cross, Christchurch, Whitworth, and then onto Clongriffin (or somewhere near - Clongriffin connects to Dart), it would allow the two metros to interchange routes such that Sandyford Swords, Sandyford Clongriffin, Dublin SW Swords, and Dublin SW Clongiffin would all be possible.

Whitworth is only 2 km from O'Connell Bridge. Well within walking distance, but quite quick by metro.

I'd say you can over-link hubs like this(never happened in Ireland before), it'll be quite a small geographic area, I'd prefer a metro1-metro2 interchange at OConnell Upper and a new DART/metro2 interchange at Croke Park

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

cgcsb wrote: »
    I'd say you can over-link hubs like this(never happened in Ireland before), it'll be quite a small geographic area, I'd prefer a metro1-metro2 interchange at OConnell Upper and a new DART/metro2 interchange at Croke Park

Well, if Whitworth becomes an interchange for Metro I and Metro II and the Maynooth/Sligo and the PPT line, it is hardly Oxford Circus.

If DU is built, that will also interchange with the two metro lines but not at the same point. I would expect Metro I at SSG, while Metro II would be at Chistchurch.

The idea is to interlink lines and provide a network that allows radid travel from anywhere in Dublin to anywhere else with easy transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭citizen6

Any ideas for James' Hospital/NCH? Traffic and staff/visitor parking there will be a nightmare. Luas runs there already but it will need much better public transport.

The proposed Luas spur from Fatima to College Green might help (and also allow more Luas' to be run from Tallaght, if the Lucan bit doesn't go ahead), but presumably a Luas line down High St and Dame St would cause major problems for a lot of bus routes.

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4505993468_832dbe21a2_o.jpg

They should also build staff accomodation within walking distance of the site or along the Luas line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I would say it’s unlikely we ever get a new luas line, there will probably be a couple of extensions to the existing but I can’t see any on street running too near the city being given the go-ahead, too much chaos during building and no tidy routes that won’t put too much pressure on the roads.

• Advertisement

citizen6 wrote: »
    Any ideas for James' Hospital/NCH? Traffic and staff/visitor parking there will be a nightmare. Luas runs there already but it will need much better public transport.

The proposed Luas spur from Fatima to College Green might help (and also allow more Luas' to be run from Tallaght, if the Lucan bit doesn't go ahead), but presumably a Luas line down High St and Dame St would cause major problems for a lot of bus routes.

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4505993468_832dbe21a2_o.jpg

They should also build staff accomodation within walking distance of the site or along the Luas line.

Bus Connects has already solved this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

If the Markievicz building is been demolished and seen as the area around Poolbeg street is due for redevelopment and other buildings are to be eventually demolished and both Luas lines within walking distance is there not an opportunity here to develop a transport hub.

Firstly I think it would be worthwhile building a Dart station here as well, above or below the metro station and alter DU plans to serve Tara instead of Pearse. Considering how much it cost so far just to dig a hole at St. James this should potentially save 100s of millions on the DU project.

Secondly I think they should look at building a new coach station here as Busaras is a very limited site and in disrepair. This would be to serve both BE and private companies and Georges quay can allow for additional passing stops. New office and apartment blocks could be built above and around this leaving the central ground level accessible for buses underneath and new retail units also. Closing and selling off Busaras site would contribute greatly to the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭LongboardPro

Is Busaras not a protected structure though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

This is the only country I know where the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many.

And yet its such a hypocrisy. The new runway at Dublin Airport is being built and there is an ongoing battle to remove the onerous planning conditions that limit its use. Despite many local objections, all indications are that this will be successful Dublin Airport will be able to use the new runway (regarded as critical infrastructure) and grow and increase jobs, tourism and the economy. As it should.

And yet, MetroLink - also badly needed critical infrastructure - seems like it will be stalled or the southside seciton of it entirely dropped because of objections from residents in the leafy suburbs of south Dublin.

What is the difference?

Why can critical infrastructure not be forced through for the betterment of the whole?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I’d imagine there would be a lot less objectors to airport runway due to its geography and the runway has to be built , end of. You can’t argue “build several light railways lines instead” “go with this route, that route “ endless procrastination...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It is, but it can be converted into other uses. Renovated offices upstairs with a market on the ground floor, with a plaza outside where the bus park currently is? That'd be a much better use of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

It could be. I remember watching something about it before, I think its ceiling was something unique at the time of its construction. Its something unique alright these days imo but not for the right reasons.

I'm sure the office block part could be renovated and modernised and extended on the bus site and become part of the IFSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Got sent the attached from someone who received the newsletter.

Got sent the attached from someone who received the newsletter.

Luas to blessington he must be off his rocker. It’s very easy for a politician to support things that have zero chance of happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Whatever about the tram that used to go to Blessington, but imagine the hell of a journey on a luas that length.

Heavy rail anybody...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It always struck me that Coynagham road from Chapelizod to Parkgate street seemed wide enough for a tram?

Geuze wrote: »
    It always struck me that Coynagham road from Chapelizod to Parkgate street seemed wide enough for a tram?

It was a tram line. To Lucan. Conyngham road bus garage is the old tram depot.

Geuze wrote: »

Would perhaps be a better option than the previous iteration of lucan Luas, but I think the sliver of land between the Phoenix park and the Liffey is quite sparsely populated, with few employment generators, it'd be more less an express between Lucan and Parkgate st and no doubt attract ire from Strawberrybeds types.

Absolutely wouldn't be a better option than the N4/Ballyfermot especially seeing as the team will have to cross traffic after getting up the Kylemore Hill.

Best hope is that the lucan Luas dies a death and they open up kishoge.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

Apart from the obvious ones we´d benefit from, radiating from the city centre, I think we would also be well served with a circular line calling at Glasnevin (Metro Link), N1/Church Avenue, Marino/Fairview, Alfie Byrne Road/East Road, The Point (Luas), Irish Town (Future Luas), Ballsbridge (Future Metro/Luas South East?), Ranelagh (Luas), Rathmines (Future Metro SW?), Harolds Cross (Future Metro SW Route 2?), Dolphins Barn, St. James, Heuston (Irish Rail and Future Dart), Stoneybatter, and Cabra.

Feel free to critique the circle line, or my theoretical interchanges.

• Advertisement

ncounties wrote: »
    Apart from the obvious ones we´d benefit from, radiating from the city centre, I think we would also be well served with a circular line calling at Glasnevin (Metro Link), N1/Church Avenue, Marino/Fairview, Alfie Byrne Road/East Road, The Point (Luas), Irish Town (Future Luas), Ballsbridge (Future Metro/Luas South East?), Ranelagh (Luas), Rathmines (Future Metro SW?), Harolds Cross (Future Metro SW Route 2?), Dolphins Barn, St. James, Heuston (Irish Rail and Future Dart), Stoneybatter, and Cabra.

Feel free to critique the circle line, or my theoretical interchanges.

Far too close to the city it would need to be further out to be of real value.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

salmocab wrote: »
    Far too close to the city it would need to be further out to be of real value.

It´s a five km diameter though - that´s wider that similar lines in comparable cities. Any wider, and it would only serve to facilitate urban sprawl no?

ncounties wrote: »
    It´s a five km diameter though - that´s wider that similar lines in comparable cities. Any wider, and it would only serve to facilitate urban sprawl no?

But that close to the city serves no real purpose, all the transport lines linked that close to the city is pointless as they all link 2,5 kms in anyway. Outside aping the m50 could be very useable. Something like blackrock, sandyford dundrum Rathfarnham Tallaght clondalkin blanchardstown finglas coolock and out to the dart would be great (put no thought into actual route and don’t really know NS well enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Kellyconor1982

I really like it. Would mean that the areas in zone 1 and zone 2 would be very accessible to each other.

I would love to see an orbital line akin to metro west in the future also but going on to knocklyon, rathfarnham and through to possibly sandyford. Such a line could nicely feed in to your circular line.

Once we get metro 1 built, i hope and believe it will lead to a real drive for more lines at a much quicker pace. The worry would be the impact on the economy of brexit, but if politicians are forced to meet environmental targets, a massive increase in transport spending makes sense even to them. The population of greater dublin will massively increase in the next 20 years so the demand will be there, as will a hunger from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

France has been allowed to borrow at minus rate from ecb. Now long now the government will be paid to build some decent rail structure in.Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

salmocab wrote: »
    Luas to blessington he must be off his rocker. It’s very easy for a politician to support things that have zero chance of happening.

just looked at this on the map, 15km through empty countryside to get to a town of ~5000 people. It's a ludicrous idea.

lets see how the hourly 244 Belssington to Tallaght gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

France has been allowed to borrow at minus rate from ecb. Now long now the government will be paid to build some decent rail structure in.Dublin.

No country borrows from the ECB, that is illegal.

Banks borrow from the ECB.

Govts may issue bonds at negative rates, including us, but that is not borrowing from the ECB.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think they are borrowing from the EIB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Kellyconor1982

Just back from Porto and their metro shows what can be done. Really good and efficient network with six lines. If Dublin had half of what they have by 2040, I would be a happy man.

I do understand that it doesn't operate a profit, which isn't a surprise given I barely saw a ticket inspector. Having said that I think good transport is a quality of life (and environmental) issue so governments need to pump the money in to it. Hopefully our governments eventually follow the example of our european neighbours and metro 1 will be the roaring success that I expect it to be leading to lines being built quicker.

Advertisement