Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Luas/Metro lines we might like.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The luas to continue from broombridge passed blanchardstown hospital then to blanchardstown centre.

Would make more sense to electrify the Maynooth railway line, much higher capacity, and maybe a SPUR off it to the Shopping Centre

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Would make more sense to electrify the Maynooth railway line, much higher capacity, and maybe a SPUR off it to the Shopping Centre

That is in the plan already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

That is in the plan already.

Is it, where can we see plans for that ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The plans haven't been shown yet, but it's in the Ireland 2040 plan. You can see more here on the NTA's site, but as there's no plans yet it's pretty sparse on the detail.

Here's the NTA's map of what the transport network will look like afterwards.

Screen_Shot_2018-03-22_at_13.25.56-1024x723.png

There's also a thread on it here, where you can post about it.

I wish they would just get on with these big construction plans , even if it means giving the building and revenue generated for 20 /30 years to a foreign company as Ireland just doesn't have the political will to push . With projects like this I love communism .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I wish they would just get on with these big construction plans , even if it means giving the building and revenue generated for 20 /30 years to a foreign company as Ireland just doesn't have the political will to push . With projects like this I love communism .

You mean like the system that gave us Chernobyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭prunudo

There must be a happy medium because its swung too far the opposite way. Too much time is lost to consultation by giving people and so called experts the chance to air their crayon plans on both print, broadcast and social media.

jvan wrote: »
    There must be a happy medium because its swung too far the opposite way. Too much time is lost to consultation by giving people and so called experts the chance to air their crayon plans on both print, broadcast and social media.

Well, the first change to the planning rules should be that once a plan gets An Bord Pleanala, any subsequent legal action can only be by parties that have a financial interest that can be satisfied by appropriate compensation. For example, affecting the value of a home is not sufficient, but a farmer having his farm cut in two would be. This would mean that once ABP gives approval, the project goes ahead.

Also, the 'cut and paste' objections are usually collated and counted as one submission. Having campaigns should be ineffective with ABP because they are not political and are generally professional in their approach.

Some reform is needed to speed up these projects. The current system is being destroyed by the NIMBY objections.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is an engineering team working on the planning application now - depot, substations and overbridges/level crossing closures. Tender for rolling stock is meant to be out "soon" but I suspect will be late; they were saying Q4 '18 in mid '18.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

our transport options at the airport are comical.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

L1011 wrote: »
    There is an engineering team working on the planning application now - depot, substations and overbridges/level crossing closures. Tender for rolling stock is meant to be out "soon" but I suspect will be late; they were saying Q4 '18 in mid '18.

Thanks for the update, I hadn't been following it that closely.

The NTA really are totally slammed with major projects these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    our transport options at the airport are comical.

I'm always so embarrassed arriving to, 'shure you can walk out to area 16 (no signs) and there might be a quaint double decker 16 in 40 mins, €3.00 please.
    The existing transport system is better suited to an airport like Knock. Dublin is in the EU's biggest 10 airports ffs.

Was thinking more like china. have you looked at their rail network recently ?

I seen on the link provided earlier we are looking at 2020 or 2021 before they start doing any work. I dont see any mention of a link to blanch centre.

I seen on the link provided earlier we are looking at 2020 or 2021 before they start doing any work. I dont see any mention of a link to blanch centre.

That's because there isn't one. It's a straight upgrade of the current system, allowing for more frequent, faster trains.

CatInABox wrote: »

That's because there isn't one. It's a straight upgrade of the current system, allowing for more frequent, faster trains.

Im sure blackstone the owners of the blanchards town centre would contribute heavily if not totally to a spur line would increase their value considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Im sure blackstone the owners of the blanchards town centre would contribute heavily if not totally to a spur line would increase their value considerably.

Doubt it - large business owners have been known to completely disregard the benefits of public transport (see: Luas Cross City) in favour of car customers.

In fairness to the owners of Blanch, this might actually be accurate for them, their land mostly being occupied by large goods retailers and geared towards people who would only shop via car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The sort-of planned alignment for the Blanchardstown spur has been built on in part. Once the plans were contracted in the early 80s it was never going to happen

The Square and the Blanchardstown Centre (neither of which were built at the time) were both planned to have heavy rail.
      CatInABox wrote: »
      Thanks for the update, I hadn't been following it that closely.

The NTA really are totally slammed with major projects these days.

This is being designed by Irish Rail. Had to hire extra staff for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

I really don’t think the two are related, considering the very same situation nearly happened at Three Mile Island & Fukushima

Qrt wrote: »
      I really don’t think the two are related, considering the very same situation nearly happened at Three Mile Island & Fukushima

Well there was a difference. Chernobyl was kept secret and denied until the Swedes announced it following the increase in radiation. That was a direct consequence of the Soviet attitude to bad publicity - a Communist trait. That did not happen in the other two examples.

Of course, there was Windscale (in the UK) accident that was so bad, they had to rename the site - Sellafield.

However - back on topic.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The sort-of planned alignment for the Blanchardstown spur has been built on in part. Once the plans were contracted in the early 80s it was never going to happen

The Square and the Blanchardstown Centre (neither of which were built at the time) were both planned to have heavy rail.

This is being designed by Irish Rail. Had to hire extra staff for it!

Given that DART is planned on a two track railway to Maynooth and the spur to M3 Parkway, the notion of another spur is just not going to happen. From an operational perspective it’s a non-starter unless it would be a connecting shuttle due to the lack of paths on the mainline.

LXFlyer wrote: »
      Given that DART is planned on a two track railway to Maynooth and the spur to M3 Parkway, the notion of another spur is just not going to happen. From an operational perspective it’s a non-starter unless it would be a connecting shuttle due to the lack of paths on the mainline.

if a private company paid for same that would change the perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

A DART service every 20 mins from Docklands to Maynooth and every 20 mins from Docklands to M3 is the way to go, giving a 10 minute frequency from Clonsilla. Make sure Blanch gets covered in frequent local buses and cycle lanes connecting to the train stations. Make sure there's a world class interchange at Whitworth and forget about adding loads of spurs.

cgcsb wrote: »
      A DART service every 20 mins from Docklands to Maynooth and every 20 mins from Docklands to M3 is the way to go, giving a 10 minute frequency from Clonsilla. Make sure Blanch gets covered in frequent local buses and cycle lanes connecting to the train stations. Make sure there's a world class interchange at Whitworth and forget about adding loads of spurs.

Whitworth should become a major interchange, including if Metrolink II gets built, If say Metrolink goes from Dublin SW, Harolds Cross, Christchurch, Whitworth, and then onto Clongriffin (or somewhere near - Clongriffin connects to Dart), it would allow the two metros to interchange routes such that Sandyford Swords, Sandyford Clongriffin, Dublin SW Swords, and Dublin SW Clongiffin would all be possible.

Whitworth is only 2 km from O'Connell Bridge. Well within walking distance, but quite quick by metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Really?

It has nothing to do with finance and everything to do with the physical infrastructure and the space for additional tracks to allow higher frequencies and for overtaking.

I’m not sure they’re going to be able to fit additional tracks in between Blanchardstown and Connolly any more so than IE - there is no room for extra tracks.

As posted above you’re looking at a 10 minute DART split between M3 and Maynooth plus Sligo/Longfords. Adding a Blanchardstown service to that isn’t going to happen.

They aren't going to pay for it. And there's nowhere to add capacity closer in anyway

No disrespect to the poster but talks of spurs is the very reason why Metrolink is in the chaos its in at the moment. Experts do studies, figure out the best and most economical route, design a plan that involves the best frequencies and ability to move large numbers of passengers all to have politicians and crayon plans being suggested left right and centre.
      Ps. I know it wasnt in reference to Metrolink but the same principle applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

jvan wrote: »
      No disrespect to the poster but talks of spurs is the very reason why Metrolink is in the chaos its in at the moment. Experts do studies, figure out the best and most economical route, design a plan that involves the best frequencies and ability to move large numbers of passengers all to have politicians and crayon plans being suggested left right and centre.
      Ps. I know it wasnt in reference to Metrolink but the same principle applies.

In fairness this particular thread is for things we would like.

salmocab wrote: »
      In fairness this particular thread is for things we would like.

True, but suggestions of 'ah sure a private company can pay for/run it' is the same kind of texts and comments that you hear being read out on the radio of late.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

LXFlyer wrote: »

I think it might be possible to find slots on a route from Blanchardstown to Docklands, provided there were a fully grade-separated junction at Lohunda. The 'Glasnevin' station would then be a good spot to change from this line to Metrolink or to other Irish Rail services. This would serve a highly populated corridor and would be very useful with the Metro connection. And the cost would be pretty low.

Advertisement