Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - BusConnects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Qrt

elmoslats wrote: »
    Kilkenny are getting free interchange before Dublin.

"For the first three months of operation, a promotional TFI Leap fare of €1 will be in place. TFI Leap fares will then be €1.40 for adults and €0.84 for children. Cash fares are €2.00 for adults and €1.20 for children. All fares include a transfer function, allowing passengers to interchange between KK1 and KK2 free of charge."

https://www.transportforireland.ie/news/new-kilkenny-city-bus-services-to-commence-on-18-december/

I genuinely can’t fathom how a place the size of Kilkenny hasn’t had a proper bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Qrt wrote: »
    I genuinely can’t fathom how a place the size of Kilkenny hasn’t had a proper bus service.

Or how it will function with 0 bus priority.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Not sure if it was posted before, but here's an Engineers Ireland presentation on BusConnects infrastructure plan.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dublin Commuter Coalition has put out their manifesto for the 2020 General Election, and it's pretty good.

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1218104865852985344

It's even gotten good praise from Dan Constantino, one of the HumanTransit guys that helped the first draft of BusConnects

https://twitter.com/dan_costantino/status/1218304338294034432

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FFs Jim OCallahan apparently made these comments on RTÉ Radio Saturday regarding BusConnects.
    He and John Lahart have previous called for the metro alignment to be altered and this weekend Cllr Conroy reaffirmed that wish.

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1219188968689893376

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

FFs Jim OCallahan apparently made these comments on RTÉ Radio Saturday regarding BusConnects.
    He and John Lahart have previous called for the metro alignment to be altered and this weekend Cllr Conroy reaffirmed that wish.

Precisely why ff can’t be trusted. A vote for ff is a vote against pt.

Just to be clear, a vote for fg is also a vote against pt.
    it’s the greens and social democrats for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Being from the Netherlands and obviously not having voter rights here, the fact that Irish people KEEP voting for FF/FG frustrates me to no end. I've never met anyone unironically stating that they endorse their awful policies, yet they seem to manage to win every single election. Why on earth is this? Why on earth would you vote for a party that does not want to improve public transportation EVEN IF most dubliners I met are also dependent on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

tom1ie wrote: »
    Precisely why ff can’t be trusted. A vote for ff is a vote against pt.

Just to be clear, a vote for fg is also a vote against pt.
    it’s the greens and social democrats for me.

The green party is also opposed to public transport where it conflicts with their nimby voter wants. The social democrats do seem pretty solid on the issue in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

cgcsb wrote: »
    The green party is also opposed to public transport where it conflicts with their nimby voter wants. The social democrats do seem pretty solid on the issue in fairness.

Balls. I was going to vote Greens in the hopes of some possibility of PT/cycling provision.

In the market to buy a house in Dublin at the moment but I'm honestly wondering if with a FF government coming in, the place is going to turn into a total ****hole over the next few years.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

machaseh wrote: »
    Being from the Netherlands and obviously not having voter rights here, the fact that Irish people KEEP voting for FF/FG frustrates me to no end. I've never met anyone unironically stating that they endorse their awful policies, yet they seem to manage to win every single election. Why on earth is this? Why on earth would you vote for a party that does not want to improve public transportation EVEN IF most dubliners I met are also dependent on it?

It's a tribal thing. People vote for whatever party was aligned with their family history in the civil war.

FF could murder all of us, take away her pension and leave her homeless and my grandmother would still vote for FF.

And it's that "grey vote" who would have memories of that era that are the dominating vote.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    It's a tribal thing. People vote for whatever party was aligned with their family history in the civil war.

FF could murder all of us, take away her pension and leave her homeless and my grandmother would still vote for FF.

And it's that "grey vote" who would have memories of that era that are the dominating vote.

So basically if all the boomers die then we'll be rid of this problem? Or do people of the current generation (say late 20s early 30s of age right now) still do this?

cgcsb wrote: »

Where have they opposed pt?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Where have they opposed pt?

The southern section of the Metrolink through Ranelagh.

Probably because most of their voters live in those affluent neighbourhoods and they already have the luas anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

machaseh wrote: »
    Probably because most of their voters live in those affluent neighbourhoods and they already have the luas anyway.

Luas completely jammed there every morning really needs the upgrade. It was Eamon Ryan giving in about dunville avenue. Can't imagine his fellow green candidates will forgive him about it if it costs them votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It's not just that the Greens are opposed to public transport but there are inconsistencies in their support for it. Opposing the southern section of Metrolink because a few people didn't like it is an issue, as is their "send it elsewhere" alternative (good as a long term goal but an a realistic plan for now). Ryan also recently talked a load of nonsense about the M20, excellent bus services could be provided on the motorway (as well as many other benefits). Promoting PT is great but the approach Ryan is taking is more harmful than beneficial to it.

caff wrote:
    Luas completely jammed there every morning really needs the upgrade. It was Eamon Ryan giving in about dunville avenue. Can't imagine his fellow green candidates will forgive him about it if it costs them votes.

He really knows how to shoot himself and the party in the foot doesn't he. That and the wolves.

Which members of the gp opposed metrolink in ranelagh?

Didn’t Ryan say that a metro should be built in other areas that are not already serviced with light rail?
    That’s hardly opposing metrolink?
    I know the argument makes more sense to upgrade the gl, but I think the point he was making was there are other areas absolutely jam packed with traffic, that have no access to rail, that would benefit from a metro, if the money can be raised.
    That’s a valid argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Didn’t Ryan say that a metro should be built in other areas that are not already serviced with light rail?
    That’s hardly opposing metrolink?
    I know the argument makes more sense to upgrade the gl, but I think the point he was making was there are other areas absolutely jam packed with traffic, that have no access to rail, that would benefit from a metro, if the money can be raised.
    That’s a valid argument.

He wants Metrolink re-routed to the SW which basically sh!ts all over the current plan so it may as well be considered opposing it.

• Advertisement

He wants Metrolink re-routed to the SW which basically sh!ts all over the current plan so it may as well be considered opposing it.

Yeah but that’s not opposing it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yeah but that’s not opposing it!!

If he got his way it would kill the current MetroLink plans.

He [Ryan] knows that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

A few examples emerging on Twitter of FF candidates promising to kill BusConnects and Metrolink

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If he got his way it would kill the current MetroLink plans.

He [Ryan] knows that too.

No it wouldn't kill it.
    The gl upgrade has been shelved for the time being but metrolink will go ahead up to charlemount.
    There's alot of negotiating that can be done in the time before trains carry passengers from swords to charlemount, so there's hope the gl will be upgraded and other metro lines can be planned.
    This isn't opposing PT!!!

A few examples emerging on Twitter of FF candidates promising to kill BusConnects and Metrolink

Disgrace. Can you post links? I'm not on Twitter for my sanity!😂

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

is_that_so wrote: »

If this happens I'm packing up and moving to Holland!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's the blunt dismissal of it that is more galling. It may not be perfect but it needs to be done and can get started pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'll reserve judgement until I see what their manifesto says about transport but it doesn't bode well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The answer to this will be typical FF They will assign more money to Dublin Bus and more vehicles without any real meaningful network or infrastructure changes. FF don't do efficency.

This is the FF way. Throw money at something to make the problem go away rather than tackling the heart of the issue. The money NEVER runs out. They haven't changed one bit but neither have electorate.

The days of blank cheques being handed out to state companies and bodies rather than targeted funding on the basis of something being delivered will soon return.

It's typically Ireland I'm afraid.

Advertisement