Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - BusConnects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

MJohnston wrote: »
    This is one of big problems with manual enforcement - especially when it’s done so sparsely like the Guards do. I reckon this form of enforcement actually *increases* violations, because once you’ve passed a checkpoint, you know you’re extremely unlikely to encounter another guard.

It would be better to just have cameras at all bus lanes who will issue a fine when a car enters the bus lane and make a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Another useful function for bus lanes (aside from taxis, bikes, maybe electric vehicles and of course anyone that feels like using them) is keeping the important road users moving freely when some of them have an accident

https://twitter.com/DCCTraffic/status/1194974735714656256

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

sharper wrote: »
    Another useful function for bus lanes (aside from taxis, bikes, maybe electric vehicles and of course anyone that feels like using them) is keeping the important road users moving freely when some of them have an accident

https://twitter.com/DCCTraffic/status/1194974735714656256
    EVs are no different to any other type of car that does not belong in the bus lane.
    (Taxis should not be there either IMO!)
    As for them allowing "the important road users" move freely, are you being serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

As for them allowing "the important road users" move freely, are you being serious?

Sarcastic. I'm annoyed they moved the crash into the bus lane and then deemed traffic to be moving freely. This evening there was an incident in the bus lane Usher's Island which added 30 minutes to my commute home, I guess I'm not a sufficiently important road user to have it moved to the other lane and block cars.

There was recently a proposal around giving electric cars access to bus lanes which the government appears to have considered far more seriously than they should have.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dublin Commuter Coalition was at an Engineers Ireland presentation on the Core Corridors projects, so here's the thread on twitter.

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1197243350073643008

Not loads of new details here, but some.

Fully electric buses that could cope with Dublin routes are at least 3 to 5 years away.
    The 16 corridors are to be treated as twelve schemes
    Still aiming to go to ABP in 2020
    Aim to build 3 corridors at a time; 1-2 years per corridor
    Design for Orbital Bus Corridors to start in a nebulous "2021 to 2027"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hi guys. I have a question about using the feedback form.

When I make up the reply to the latest network redesign plans. Am I allowed to use my name & other contact details in the form?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Does anyone know if the new H Spine will be a core bus corridor too? It would just be from Fairview to St. Annes (via Howth Road) that needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

CatInABox wrote: »
    Design for Orbital Bus Corridors to start in a nebulous "2021 to 2027"

still think they should start up the O route as soon as buses are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Khuitlio wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the new H Spine will be a core bus corridor too? It would just be from Fairview to St. Annes (via Howth Road) that needs to be done.

The H won't be on a core bus corridor. There will still only be 16 core bus corridors

I've noticed a number of automatic traffic counters around town: Merrion road, Inchicore road, queen street, blackhall place. I assume this is for the environmental impact assessment currently being undertaken by Jacobs and systra.

This project seems to be actually progressing and I can see a planning application going in next year for the core bus corridors.

There will be 12 applications in total with some corridors combined for the purpose of an application e.g. Finglas and Ballymun.

Can't see any serious progress on the metrolink or dart expansion projects at the moment but it is possible that it's being kept under tighter control because of the comparatively greater media interest in rail, loose lips and all that, somehow I doubt it though.

Back to bus connects. Physical work is likely to be split into 2 or 3 corridors per year in different parts of the city e.g. Tallaght and Malahide rd would be done at the same time to spread out disruption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

cgcsb wrote: »
    I've noticed a number of automatic traffic counters around town: Merrion road, Inchicore road, queen street, blackhall place. I assume this is for the environmental impact assessment currently being undertaken by Jacobs and systra.

This project seems to be actually progressing and I can see a planning application going in next year for the core bus corridors.

There will be 12 applications in total with some corridors combined for the purpose of an application e.g. Finglas and Ballymun.

Can't see any serious progress on the metrolink or dart expansion projects at the moment but it is possible that it's being kept under tighter control because of the comparatively greater media interest in rail, loose lips and all that, somehow I doubt it though.

Back to bus connects. Physical work is likely to be split into 2 or 3 corridors per year in different parts of the city e.g. Tallaght and Malahide rd would be done at the same time to spread out disruption.

Seems correct, except for EIA being done anytime soon if traffic counters are only in now seems very ambitious, I've noticed them around too!

On MetroLink, Hugh Creegan said that those small consultations on things like the Albert college park evacuation tunnel thingy whatever it's called would start "within two weeks". That's over two weeks ago now, don't think NTA have ever kept a deadline

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am sorry if I sound defeatist here, but honestly Bus Connects will never work without camera induced fines for car/van incursion into the bus lanes.

I suppose that could happen today too, but it hasn't either has it?

The NTA are adamant that camera enforcement is essential to the project. However the current minister for transport is a huge set back. He needs to be unseated for it to happen which will likely happen in a few months anyway. If the current bus lanes were enforced to a point of 95% compliance, journey times and capacity would improve by about 20% on most routes.

I don't think anything will be happening with metrolink until next year and it may be officially scrapped around 2021, 2022 in favour of rural broadband and more road projects.

I noticed more traffic counters on Prussia st and old cabra road.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Traffic Counters on Mobhi Road and Ballymun Road this evening I noted.

There's also been a lad at the Westbound Bridgewater House Stop on Conyngham Road all last week counting bus passengers alighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

If the current bus lanes were enforced to a point of 95% compliance, journey times and capacity would improve by about 20% on most routes.

Can you provide a source for these figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭thomasj

Traffic Counters on Mobhi Road and Ballymun Road this evening I noted.

There's also been a lad at the Westbound Bridgewater House Stop on Conyngham Road all last week counting bus passengers alighting.

Is that not the usual November count that is done each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

thomasj wrote: »
    Is that not the usual November count that is done each year?

Could be. First time I noticed the poor fecker though.

Counters on church street this morning also.

Last Stop wrote: »
    Can you provide a source for these figures?

No, my own estimate based on timing the delay caused by full bus lanes.

No, my own estimate based on timing the delay caused by full bus lanes.

So anecdotal evidence disguised as fact.

How would removing cars from bus lanes increase capacity? The frequency of the buses isn’t going to change.

20% is a significant decrease on journey times with no evidence to back it up. Busconnects is suggesting 40% journey time savings aren’t they, but need to spend €2bn to do that? The cost benefit ratio would not be great if it could be shown that this would only reduce journey times 20% more than just enforcement which would surely have to be assessed as an alternative in the EIA given the impact the CBCs will have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

At peak times on many routes, 20% doesn't sound unrealistic. Last time I got a bus in the morning, we sat in traffic in one of the bus lanes behind a tailback of private cars for 15 mins. I didn't count delays on the quays. Total journey time was 45 mins.

Ah you're right, 20% is wrong. It was more like 33%.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

How would removing cars from bus lanes increase capacity? The frequency of the buses isn’t going to change.

This is such doublethink bullshït - you absolutely know the answer to your question is that removing cars would let buses increase frequency, but you're unwilling to let something completely practical and sensible like that ruin your bizarre stances in favour of car congestion.

So anecdotal evidence disguised as fact.

I'm sorry??? Where did I say that it was a fact? It's a message board, people give their opinions. This is mine, based on observation and that I know this city very very well.

The less delay to buses, the faster they reach the end of the route and turn around which effectively boosts capacity. Current frequencies and timetables are a work of fiction at present.
    20% is a significant decrease on journey times with no evidence to back it up. Busconnects is suggesting 40% journey time savings aren’t they, but need to spend €2bn to do that? The cost benefit ratio would not be great if it could be shown that this would only reduce journey times 20% more than just enforcement which would surely have to be assessed as an alternative in the EIA given the impact the CBCs will have?

Correct but it won't be because the minister took enforcement off the table for now. Also to reach 95% enforcement, this would require money and continuous effort and later cultural change.

MJohnston wrote: »
    This is such doublethink bullshït - you absolutely know the answer to your question is that removing cars would let buses increase frequency, but you're unwilling to let something completely practical and sensible like that ruin your bizarre stances in favour of car congestion.

How? Cars in bus lanes leads to buses bunching. Yes it’s a benefit and also benefits journey times but it doesn’t affect Dublin bus frequencies. If you’re suggesting that we increase frequencies that’s a different issue and not a direct result of bus lane enforcement as was suggested.

Stark wrote: »
    At peak times on many routes, 20% doesn't sound unrealistic. Last time I got a bus in the morning, we sat in traffic in one of the bus lanes behind a tailback of private cars for 15 mins. I didn't count delays on the quays. Total journey time was 45 mins.

Ah you're right, 20% is wrong. It was more like 33%.

Anecdotal evidence of a single journey. The suggestion was 20% on most routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Perhaps explain to us why you think cars should be allowed to clog up bus lanes without penalty? Aside from this "bunching" carry-on, where people have successfully argued against you over and over on this thread but you keep persisting.

I'm sorry??? Where did I say that it was a fact? It's a message board, people give their opinions. This is mine, based on observation and that I know this city very very well.

Where did you state it was your opinion?
    You stated facts either side of this so when I (and I assume others) read it, it looked like it was fact
    The less delay to buses, the faster they reach the end of the route and turn around which effectively boosts capacity. Current frequencies and timetables are a work of fiction at present.

That simply isn’t true. Frequencies aren’t going to change as a direct result of bus lane enforcement.
    If after enforcement has kicked in Dublin Bus or the NTA decide to utilise the quicker turn around time to increase route frequencies then that may change but saying that bus lane enforcement will automatically increase capacity is jumping to conclusions and not correct.

Correct but it won't be because the minister took enforcement off the table for now. Also to reach 95% enforcement, this would require money and continuous effort and later cultural change.

He didn’t take enforcement off the table. He took NTA enforcement off the table.
    The NTA still have the option of subsidising Garda resources to cover bus lane enforcement like concert promoters etc do with their policing requirements. While I appreciate that they should be doing it as a part of their remit, given their resources and the issues they are facing it’s a long down the priority list

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

How? Cars in bus lanes leads to buses bunching. Yes it’s a benefit and also benefits journey times but it doesn’t affect Dublin bus frequencies. If you’re suggesting that we increase frequencies that’s a different issue and not a direct result of bus lane enforcement as was suggested.

The total capacity of any road lane, also bus lanes, is limited. The entire point of a bus lane is that it allocates the capacity of a single lane entirely to buses (and to a lesser extent emergency vehicles), meaning that you can have more buses per hour on the bus lane thus more passengers per hour transported. It follows by sheer logic, then, that once you allow cars on the bus lane (or do not enforce rules of the road causing cars to enter in the bus lane), the total capacity on the bus lane is greatly reduced.

Stark wrote: »
    Perhaps explain to us why you think cars should be allowed to clog up bus lanes without penalty? Aside from this "bunching" carry-on, where people have successfully argued against you over and over on this thread but you keep persisting.

Where did I say they should be allowed? I didn’t!!
    If you bothered to read my posts you would have seen that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Are you actually as stupid as your posts? Or just intentionally trolling? I mean, I can't even begin to understand how someone with a brain could type the above in seriousness.

Advertisement