Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uncomfortable relationship with in-laws

Options
  • 04-04-2018 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice regarding my situation.

In a nutshell, I just feel so uncomfortable around my in-laws. I feel tense, anxious and never at ease when they are around. They aren't good for me.

It's pretty serious because it's not just a little discomfort I feel miserable for a couple of days after having to spend any time with them at all.

I can't put my finger on it and it's abstract but it's just how I feel when I'm around them. BLAH. I don't feel that way around anyone else such as my coworkers or some new people I meet. It's just literally his family.

I've had a couple of massive arguments with them in the past.

My husband and I relocated to the area close to them. I was only new there I didn't know my way around or anything.

1. My husband and I were staying with his dad for a couple of months (big mistake - we are gone now but we were waiting to rent a house). His dad got really drunk and shouted at us about clean dishes at midnight and scared the ****ing **** out of his own granddaughter. He also scared me and didn't apologize. I didn't know him very well and for all I knew he could have been violent. They made their loyalty known and were on the same page.

His sister was upset so she burst into the house at 11 PM (the next day) and scared the **** out of her niece. She also scared me. I really hated her for that.

Those arguments were over a year ago and nothing since but I feel no connection to them, they never make any effort into contacting me or talking to me (but they never really did), and when I attend the family events his family never tries to strike up a conversation with me even just about their niece. In the 5 years that I have been married to my husband, I have never had a conversation longer than a few sentences with them. I feel like an outsider and get bored. I don't know there is no common ground or anything in common. They are never at ease with me and never relaxed and happy.

I haven't seen any of them at all since Christmas and I've been so much happier.

I was able to get through 4 hours of Christmas dinner with them but then the next day I felt angry. Some stupid sexist comments were made like: "oh, does your husband give you any pocket money" "are you feeding that man" etc. My husband said that it's a 'joke' and he turned against me because I can't take a 'joke'.

While I likely won't have to see them again for a long time, I am pregnant (I didn't tell them yet) and the baby is due in October.
    Most likely they will want to come around to see the baby and I dread it.

I also dread having to go to another Christmas dinner next time. I don't want to see them again.

I told my husband this and he said he will take our kids to the dinner and I can stay home by myself.

I don't think it's fair of him to think like that. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

To be honest OP I don't think you have handled some situations well.

Your FIL coming in drunk, shouting at you and scaring your daughter is of course not on. An appropriate response however would be to speak to him or have your husband speak to him or simply move out. Taking to Facebook to vent; I cannot get my head around this at all I'm afraid. you were off to a bad start there with the sister. I would be furious if my SIL did anything like that.

Likewise the conversation your SIL had about the paedophile priests. Just because something would not be your approach does not mean it is BS. I grew up in the 80s and the topic of homosexual relationships was always talked as freely as heterosexual ones. Other parents were shocked we knew about gays at such a young age. As far as we were concerned there was nothing to know.

You had a number of options here that would be more appropriate; address it that you were not comfortable, say nothing, excuse yourselves from the room and phone later to explain, simply make a decision not to have your daughter around her again. You chose to sulk and be rude in her house.

You are making life too difficult for your husband and embarrassing him I would imagine. You should try to accept them as they are instead of demanding they behave exactly like your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

sinead99 wrote: »

I told my husband this and he said he will take our kids to the dinner and I can stay home by myself.

So what's your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Ionised

sinead99 wrote:
    so I posted the incident on Facebook.

I stopped reading after this statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sinead99

Ionised wrote: »
    I stopped reading after this statement.

Well I had nowhere else to go or stay and I didn't know anyone in the area. What was I supposed to do call the Garda? I could not afford a hotel for months on end while I found a house. How dare he treat us like that. We didn't even have to move. I thought he'd be greatful for seeing his granddaughter again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Crazy amount of new accounts here lately......

• Advertisement

Katgurl wrote: »

Your FIL coming in drunk, shouting at you and scaring your daughter is of course not on. An appropriate response however would be to speak to him or have your husband speak to him or simply move out. Taking to Facebook to vent; I cannot get my head around this at all I'm afraid. you were off to a bad start there with the sister. I would be furious if my SIL did anything like that.

Likewise the conversation your SIL had about the paedophile priests. Just because something would not be your approach does not mean it is BS. I grew up in the 80s and the topic of homosexual relationships was always talked as freely as heterosexual ones. Other parents were shocked we knew about gays at such a young age. As far as we were concerned there was nothing to know.

You had a number of options here that would be more appropriate; address it that you were not comfortable, say nothing, excuse yourselves from the room and phone later to explain, simply make a decision not to have your daughter around her again. You chose to sulk and be rude in her house.

You are making life too difficult for your husband and embarrassing him I would imagine. You should try to accept them as they are instead of demanding they behave exactly like your family.

You are probably right but did you read the last bit after the arguments? I just don't want to have anything to do with them. I'm happier without them in my life.

My husband won't allow me to have any say over who sees our daughter. I don't want to see them again and my husband won't even support me on that and I'm not allowed to say who comes into the house that I pay for or not.

Katgurl wrote: »

So what's your problem?

The problem is that there is no solidarity with me. No loyalty to me. I seem to have no say in my own family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

You are probably right but did you read the last bit after the arguments? I just don't want to have anything to do with them. I'm happier without them in my life.

My husband won't allow me to have any say over who sees our daughter. I don't want to see them again and my husband won't even support me on that and I'm not allowed to say who comes into the house that I pay for or not.

Eh, you're talking about preventing your daughter seeing her grandparents. You'd seriously want to get a dose of reality and cop on.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Eh, you're talking about preventing your daughter seeing her grandparents. You'd seriously want to get a dose of reality and cop on.

OK... that grandparent got drunk and shouted at us at midnight and scared the living daylights out of his granddaughter over clean dishes. So did her aunt.

And I never said that he could not take her to see them. I just don't want to be involved. I don't want them the house that I pay for.

OK... that grandparent got drunk and shouted at us at midnight and scared the living daylights out of his granddaughter over clean dishes. So did her aunt.

And I never said that he could not take her to see them. I just don't want to be involved. I don't want them the house that I pay for.

Have you edited the OP? I can't see any reference to that.

• Advertisement

Have you edited the OP? I can't see any reference to that.

Yes, I did. It was too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The problem is that there is no solidarity with me. No loyalty to me. I seem to have no say in my own family.

So your problem really is with your husband. You feel he doesn’t support you and you can’t agree with how to raise your children. Maybe some marriage counselling is needed?

Yes, I did. It was too long.

You took out the most important aspects of it though??

You took out the most important aspects of it though??

Well, another argument was left out because it was too long to explain. People were not reading the last bit about the sexist comments during Christmas dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP your in laws aren't the only ones causing issues here. I feel sorry for you husband and daughter. For their sakes you need to take a more adult approach to things.

I'm finding it hard to believe that you're old enough to be married 5 years yet still think it appropriate to post family drama on Facebook. Then you edit it out because it was "too long".

Ignore the sexist comments. Laugh them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Well, another argument was left out because it was too long to explain. People were not reading the last bit about the sexist comments during Christmas dinner.

Yes they were, they were just (understandably) focussing on the much bigger issue that was you posting family drama on Facebook, amongst other things. But it's very clear to me from your edit and your subsequent replies that you don't *actually* don't want to hear constructive advice from people, you only want replies that take your side.

Good luck with that.

Whispered wrote: »
    OP your in laws aren't the only ones causing issues here. I feel sorry for you husband and daughter. For their sakes you need to take a more adult approach to things.

I'm finding it hard to believe that you're old enough to be married 5 years yet still think it appropriate to post family drama on Facebook. Then you edit it out because it was "too long".

Ignore the sexist comments. Laugh them off.

Well, I'd rather just not go to the dinner in the first place. I don't want to spend time with these people. I don't like them.

Why does an adult need to spend time with people who drain her? Why does an adult need to answer to a bunch of in-laws or a husband?

If you were gay, would you tell a gay person to just 'laugh off' homophobic comments? I doubt it.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Yes they were, they were just (understandably) focussing on the much bigger issue that was you posting family drama on Facebook, amongst other things. But it's very clear to me from your edit and your subsequent replies that you don't *actually* don't want to hear constructive advice from people, you only want replies that take your side.

Good luck with that.

As I said, what would you have done? Called the Garda? He clearly didn't care that he scared me or is granddaughter. I could not sleep that night. Did he care? I'm not sure. So I felt powerless. I got it back by exposing his horrible self to everyone.

To me, it was not just drama. He was almost a stranger to me. I only met him once before that. For all I know, he could have thrown things at me or hit me in his drunken rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

OP, what were the 'sexist' comments?

You sound like you want an issue and are at least half the issue here.

Also when you're staying in someone's house you should clean up after yourselves, was that the reason you were given out to?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

You consider making an effort with your husbands family as "answering to" him?

You're right, you don't have to spend time with them. He offered to bring the kids without you and you're still not happy. I'd have some ground rules after the drunk incident but you can't be upset that he wants his children to know his family. He's offered you a way out.

You've posted on Facebook something that you knew would embarrass and upset your husband and cause future embarrassment for your child.

You've bigger issues here than your inlaws.

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »

Also when you're staying in someone's house you should clean up after yourselves, was that the reason you were given out to?

Some of the sexist comments are in the OP. If you don't understand why they are sexist I can explain it to you.

We did clean up after ourselves. It's just that we let the clean dishes drip dry because all the good towels were in the wash. He seen some clean dishes and went nuts and scared his granddaughter. He would not even let us explain.

Did you ever thank them for staying in their house a few months while you were saving money?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

GingerLily wrote: »

Some of the sexist comments are in the OP. If you don't understand why they are sexist I can explain it to you.

We did clean up after ourselves. It's just that we let the clean dishes drip dry because all the good towels were in the wash. He seen some clean dishes and went nuts and scared his granddaughter. He would not even let us explain.

I didn't find the comments you referenced sexist - but they could be seen as condescending. Maybe it's because I come from a home where both men and women can be stay at home parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well, I'd rather just not go to the dinner in the first place. I don't want to spend time with these people. I don't like them.

Why does an adult need to spend time with people who drain her? Why does an adult need to answer to a bunch of in-laws or a husband?

If you were gay, would you tell a gay person to just 'laugh off' homophobic comments? I doubt it.

You don't have to answer to anyone but your husband wants to spend time with his family. I don't know what the original incident was but if you want to go nuclear because they asked you if you are feeding your husband or if he is giving you pocket money then grow up. It's a bit old-fashioned attitude that can be deflected with sarcastic or jokey reply. Or you can sulk indefinitely and cause tension in your own relationship. You see your in-laws few times per year and you are behaving like a delicate princess. We suffer people we don't particularly like because it's more beneficial than constant squabbles. It's up to you but don't blame your husband for wanting have a relationship with his parents.

Did you ever thank them for staying in their house a few months while you were saving money?

No I didn't because I didn't even want to move. My husband made me move. I didn't want to get into a custody battle with him so I complied. It wasn't because we were saving money. He wanted to move so I partially blame my husband for this.

Whispered wrote: »
    You consider making an effort with your husbands family as "answering to" him?

You're right, you don't have to spend time with them. He offered to bring the kids without you and you're still not happy. I'd have some ground rules after the drunk incident but you can't be upset that he wants his children to know his family. He's offered you a way out.

You've posted on Facebook something that you knew would embarrass and upset your husband and cause future embarrassment for your child.

You've bigger issues here than your inlaws.

I don't mind if he takes her to see them. But I do mind if I have no say in who comes into my house. I pay for the house. It's my house. My husband doesn't pay for the house. I should have a say in my own house but he will not allow me to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

No I didn't because I didn't even want to move. My husband made me move. I didn't want to get into a custody battle with him so I complied. It wasn't because we were saving money. He wanted to move so I partially blame my husband for this.
    I don't mind if he takes her to see them. But I do mind if I have no say in who comes into my house. I pay for the house. It's my house. My husband doesn't pay for the house. I should have a say in my own house but he will not allow me to do so.

You have much bigger issues in your relationship than your in-laws if all this is true.

meeeeh wrote: »
    You don't have to answer to anyone but your husband wants to spend time with his family. I don't know what the original incident was but if you want to go nuclear because they asked you if you are feeding your husband or if he is giving you pocket money then grow up. It's a bit old-fashioned attitude that can be deflected with sarcastic or jokey reply. Or you can sulk indefinitely and cause tension in your own relationship. You see your in-laws few times per year and you are behaving like a delicate princess. We suffer people we don't particularly like because it's more beneficial than constant squabbles. It's up to you but don't blame your husband for wanting have a relationship with his parents.

It's fine for him to have a relationship with them but I don't want to.

I don't think a simple 'grow up' is good advice. I genuinely cannot handle these inlaws. I cannot cope with them. I am not capable of deflecting their comments. I am also greatly outnumbered. I am only one and they are 25. My family does not live nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Ok I do understand this horrible feeling of being disregarded but it's just not practical OP. They sound unsavoury but not dangerous to be around your daughter or anything like that. I think life would be an awful lot easier for you if you just avoided them instead of barring them from the house or stopping your husband visiting.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You have much bigger issues in your relationship than your in-laws if all this is true.

Yeah you are probably right.

Advertisement