Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

00:04 is when I heard the first thunder clap off in the distance in the city. 2:57 it's still going. This is going in my history books anyway.

getting cooler now and the breeze is coming opposite the lightning. Some fork flashes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Can see new tower going up the back of it

Wind is very strong now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,554 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Lightning very bright now. Constant - once every 1 - 2 seconds.

• Advertisement

Friend in Bunclody said lightning has hit his neighbours house and blew everything off the walls

North Wicklow now and North Kildare in firing line from new cells. Flashing away here - spectacular really.

Hearing deep rumbles now

Short while ago over Cork. I saw the strike that produced the huge bang other posters were mentioning (had just stopped videoing, typical!) direct cloud to ground strike somewhere around the docks.

Haven't seen a storm like this in Ireland since I was a child!

451750.png

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It seems to getting further away in cork city. I can still hear it but it's not right on top of me.

• Advertisement

Short while ago over Cork. I saw the strike that produced the huge bang other posters were mentioning (had just stopped videoing, typical!) direct cloud to ground strike somewhere around the docks.

Haven't seen a storm like this in Ireland since I was a child!

its incredible really how the city didn't lose power.

Needless this is the best storm i've experienced in my nearly 18 years here, and I got a lot of it on camera. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Epic flashes here in North cork. Power out on my road and alarms going off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I've a friend out on Sherkin how bad is out out on the sea can anyone tell me? :/

I think it's because there weren't many ground strikes, most of it seemed to be cloud to cloud, thus no strikes on the power lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Needless this is the best storm i've experienced in my nearly 18 years here, and I got a lot of it on camera. Delighted.

Generally, power loss during lightening storms tends to be more of a long-run rural medium voltage distribution line issue.

Cork City wouldn't have any medium voltage distribution overhead at all. Everything's underground. What you see over head in some older suburban areas is just low voltage 230V / 400V lines feeding houses.

You could get an issue if you had a direct strike on a substation, but they're typically well protected with lightening conductors.

Getting closer and feel drips of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Would watch again. It's a 5 out of 5 from me.

★★★★★

Thanks for the explanations on power loss, appreciate it. Thank god we didn't then :)

I think its safe to go to bed now anyway

Dubs, look southeast. Spectacular. :D Thunderstorms developing and moving north could yet effect us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Footage got corrupted :( you'll all have to take my word for it that the sky it lit up like a Christmas tree.
    sunbabe08 wrote: »
    what i captured earlier.

Sounds like you needed a stiff drink after that one!

Greystones and Bray in line in the next hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

S2sS4hb.jpg?1

Lightning has ceased a good bit now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,846 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I don't know if I was imaging it , but thought I saw a flash here , Laois ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Greystones and Bray in line in the next hour or so.

Feck!! I sleep in an Attic Conversion! Am I going to die?? If you don't see any more Costa Del Bray posts from me this Summer you'll know what happened to me! :D

Wood Roof joists don't act as a Faraday Cage do they? ;);) :D

Expensive PC, 34" Ultrawide Monitor and VR Headset unplugged from power sockets and Network Cable!! However the 10 year old Plasma TV's around the house need replacing anyway so they're staying plugged in!! :D

Work at 7:30am tomorrow. I have a feeling I ain't getting any sleep tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Lightning in Dublin 11 no thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

sdanseo wrote: »
    Footage got corrupted :( you'll all have to take my word for it that the sky it lit up like a Christmas tree.

Sounds like you needed a stiff drink after that one!

literally stunned for a few minutes. nothing else i taped after that lived up to that one. i've never seen fork lightening live before, so that was an absolute treat

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Very heavy downpours with regular flashes and rumbles now. Spectacular.

South Carlow.

• Advertisement

Storms developing now heading toward Dublin (probably). Huge flashes now, can see the anvils.

o-CORBYN-TWEETS-570.jpg?5

Advertisement