Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭boccy23

Boras knows he needs to pitch well, a trip to the minors might help. Also Boras has one real contract year candidate and he's wearing a Nationals uniform! ;)

Arrieta was far better than Harvey last year and barely got any interest.

Harvey has a huge ego himself, never mind Boras and his 2 cents worth.

They need to find some mystery ailment and put him on the DL while he works on the physical issues in Florida.

I really think that he would veto going on any minor league assignment.

Starting pitching will always get paid but he will probably have to take a 1 year and prove it deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

boccy23 wrote: »
    Harvey has a huge ego himself, never mind Boras and his 2 cents worth.

They need to find some mystery ailment and put him on the DL while he works on the physical issues in Florida.

I really think that he would veto going on any minor league assignment.

Starting pitching will always get paid but he will probably have to take a 1 year and prove it deal.

Starting pitching is always needed, that is true. And usually they get a decent pay and play , even on a 1 year deal but I doubt Boras would go for that.

But, right now no one in the league would sign Harvey. No one not named Harvey or Boras thinks he is a starting pitcher. His ERA is over 6 on the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,974 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Starting pitching is always needed, that is true. And usually they get a decent pay and play , even on a 1 year deal but I doubt Boras would go for that.

But, right now no one in the league would sign Harvey. No one not named Harvey or Boras thinks he is a starting pitcher. His ERA is over 6 on the season.

It's been 5+ for quite awhile, going into last season.

I like the phantom injury thing, but he's such a primadonna I think that'd backfire on him like it did every time Billy Martin wouldn't play Reggie Jackson back in the day due to 'elbow tendinitis,' and Reggie'd pitch a fit in the media.

Jason Vargas is near returning, maybe 1 more rehab start and he can then just slide into the rotation, as long as there's a spot. I don't see Callaway and Eiland going for a 6 man rotation. I'd say the plan was to offer Harvey a minor-league assignment (especially if Wheeler pitches well in his next start - he's not been terrible, but I don't trust Wheeler's stuff at all, trouble is, Harvey's not as good as Wheeler at the present time.) If Harvey won't take it, I wouldn't be surprised if they DFA him and he gets snapped up by some other team, there's plenty that could use a spot starter/guy trying to prove himself again for a payday.

Igotadose wrote: »
    It's been 5+ for quite awhile, going into last season.

I like the phantom injury thing, but he's such a primadonna I think that'd backfire on him like it did every time Billy Martin wouldn't play Reggie Jackson back in the day due to 'elbow tendinitis,' and Reggie'd pitch a fit in the media.

Jason Vargas is near returning, maybe 1 more rehab start and he can then just slide into the rotation, as long as there's a spot. I don't see Callaway and Eiland going for a 6 man rotation. I'd say the plan was to offer Harvey a minor-league assignment (especially if Wheeler pitches well in his next start - he's not been terrible, but I don't trust Wheeler's stuff at all, trouble is, Harvey's not as good as Wheeler at the present time.) If Harvey won't take it, I wouldn't be surprised if they DFA him and he gets snapped up by some other team, there's plenty that could use a spot starter/guy trying to prove himself again for a payday.

The primmadonna thing isnt nearly as true as New Yorkers would like to make out. He pitched really well the year the mets made the WS and pitched beyond the supposed innings cap. That is actually possibly what hurt him long term.

I think Harvey at the very least would take an assignment to see how it goes. He improves and comes back stronger then the Mets have the pitcher they want and Harvey has a chance at that big contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Mookie Betts is batting .538 this week with 4 homers, .391 for the season so far.

16-2 to start the season for the Sox, good April so far. Long way to go but really enjoying this start, some great offensive performances against some good teams and pitchers.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Mookie Betts is batting .538 this week with 4 homers, .391 for the season so far.

16-2 to start the season for the Sox, good April so far. Long way to go but really enjoying this start, some great offensive performances against some good teams and pitchers.

11 wins against the 5 win Marlins, Orioles and Rays.

It's been an impressive start, but the opposition have been very poor.

Betts though, seriously impressive as has the rest of the line up. Hitting over .340 as a team is some going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

11 wins against the 5 win Marlins, Orioles and Rays. .

That’s why people shouldn’t be reading too much into records (good or bad) or individual’s stats in April.

That’s why people shouldn’t be reading too much into records (good or bad) or individual’s stats in April.

That's absolutely true.

Of all the records in the standings at the moment I have been most impressed by the Diamondbacks. I'd take them every night at the moment.

To be fair though I've been on Boston too. Mets/Angels and even the Astro's starts are deceptive along with the Pirates.

The primmadonna thing isnt nearly as true as New Yorkers would like to make out. He pitched really well the year the mets made the WS and pitched beyond the supposed innings cap. That is actually possibly what hurt him long term.

I think Harvey at the very least would take an assignment to see how it goes. He improves and comes back stronger then the Mets have the pitcher they want and Harvey has a chance at that big contract.

His (and the Mets options)

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Resnick/status/987357991472156672

I didn’t hear anything about this until now.

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/987777785656676352?s=21

• Advertisement

Well we have our answer on Harvey - going to the pen. And he’s not happy about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Sean Manaea and the A’s no hit the Red Sox. Baseball is a funny sport sometimes.

Sean Manaea and the A’s no hit the Red Sox. Baseball is a funny sport sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Well we have our answer on Harvey - going to the pen. And he’s not happy about it

Very interesting to see how he handles this. You get the sense that Harvey's time with the Mets won't end too well

21 pitch at-bat in the Angels/Giants game today. Ended kind of lamely with Brandon Belt flying out. At least he wore the pitcher down a bit!

https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/988152051195461632

Good weekend for the Dodgers. Took 2 from 3 from the Nats, and back to .500 for the first time all season.
    Next up is the Marlins at home. Could do with a sweep

Ronnie Acuna called up by the Braves today. No. 1 prospect in the league apparently.

Rough debut for Jason Vargas. Gave up nine earned run in a 12-2 loss to the Padres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Pablo Sandoval pitched a 1-2-3 inning last night. 11 pitch inning. Ace

ShyMets wrote: »
    Rough debut for Jason Vargas. Gave up nine earned run in a 12-2 loss to the Padres

Yoenis did manage to deposit a home run into a bin though.

Mariners have suddenly clicked, winning 7 of the last 10 on the road including a series win against the Indians and scoring a lot of runs in the proces. Angels have slumped a bit too since their hot start.

Did ok yesterday although pitching in the ninth with a 10 run lead or whatever it was probably isnt taxing.

While he hasnt talked to the media he's obviously been professional enough to go out there and do his job.

Did ok yesterday although pitching in the ninth with a 10 run lead or whatever it was probably isnt taxing.

While he hasnt talked to the media he's obviously been professional enough to go out there and do his job.

He’s come out of the pen 3 times now since his demotion I think. Gave up a run the first 2 times and put a double yesterday so not quite in the groove yet.

He hasn’t been in any high leverage situations yet I don’t think so he’s easing into being a reliever.

He’s come out of the pen 3 times now since his demotion I think. Gave up a run the first 2 times and put a double yesterday so not quite in the groove yet.

He hasn’t been in any high leverage situations yet I don’t think so he’s easing into being a reliever.

I doubt very much given his poor performance's their going to give him high leverage situations , until such time as he shows an ability to avoid contact. The problem he's had this season is hard contact. He's had some stretches where he retire 9-12 batters in a row but it's usually been after the damage has been done.

It is interesting to see if this experiment works though. As he has some filthy pitches and if he can find a groove he could be a really effective middle relief guy.

Sad to see Harvey's decline. There was a time when his stuff was untouchable. Looks like he'll end up at best a decent mid innings releaver and I'm not convinced he'll even be that

ShyMets wrote: »
    Sad to see Harvey's decline. There was a time when his stuff was untouchable. Looks like he'll end up at best a decent mid innings releaver and I'm not convinced he'll even be that

I wouldnt be as pessimistic as that.

Harvey shows flashes of the stuff he had. Only a couple of years removed too. Every chance he comes back in some form as a starter in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

8-10 wrote: »
    Pablo Sandoval pitched a 1-2-3 inning last night. 11 pitch inning. Ace

Had to go check it out! The 70mph curve at 42 seconds is brilliant!!

https://www.mlb.com/video/must-c-pandas-perfect-9th/c-1986299383?tid=11493214

• Advertisement

Corey Seager is out for the season due to needing TJ surgery. Big loss for the Dodgers

Advertisement