Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 2*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Evade wrote: »
    Not to get too far into this topic but the solution to this is so obvious, there are other 00 agents that are as just capable as Bond. Introduce them in a cameo scene the next film and have Bond be missing or presumed dead at the end so they can take over the franchise for a while.

i assumed they were all supposed to be different people all the time anyway and it was just a title/codename

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

bluewolf wrote: »
    i assumed they were all supposed to be different people all the time anyway and it was just a title/codename
    The 00 part definitely but the name is doubtful unless there's some stipulation that whoever gets the 007 James Bond title must have been a commander in the Royal Navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

It was suggested by some group and Alex had commented on it. The argument was that The Doctor (Doctor Who) could change, why not Spock

Except Burnham reffered to Spock as her adoptive half brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Sigh, wish they just left them alone at this stage. It just reeks of a lack of direction

Inviere wrote: »
    Sigh, wish they just left them alone at this stage. It just reeks of a lack of direction

They might be changing them into the TNG/DS9 versions, slowly over time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've got the impression from the quotes it's going to be less a redesign than a retcon, that their baldness will become a religious choice and we'll see Klingons with flowing hair once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Don't mean to be a news-snob or anything, but... why are we linking to or referencing Metro.co.uk for Star Trek news any news at all, ever?

The Klingons are not, according to other sources, getting "another make-over". We will be seeing new Klingon houses and factions which will have variations and previously unseen looks.
    In season two, you are going to see much different designs. You are going to see different houses you haven’t seen before. One of the most important things to us was that at this point in canon, as we head towards the current version of unification, the houses really each grow up on different planets. It is an Empire, it is not just Qo’noS… We have seen six of the great houses in close up in season one. As we move forward into the next season, I promise that we will continue exploring and unpacking and unfolding that infinitely interesting story of what the Klingon culture looks like on a wider level.

The TrekMovie.com article also suggests, based on a quote from the lead designer, the hairless look may be in-part due to the spiritual / ritualistic nature of the Klingons we saw in Season 1:
    [Kahless] did it by cutting off his hair, and dipping it into a volcano and forging the first bat’leth and tempering in the ocean of Qo’noS.
    There is this whole thing with hair and ritual and unification that was very much in the forefront of our mind when we designing.

And really, I think when add some hair to the Season 1 Kligons (there's a mockup on the TrekMovie article for example), they're not that different to TNGs.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/08/06/stlv18-designer-promises-new-klingon-look-for-star-trek-discovery-season-2-hints-at-hair/

More info here for newssnobs :D

Comicbook also saying they will be revamped as stated by above posters.

http://comicbook.com/startrek/2018/08/07/star-trek-discovery-season-2-klingon-redesign/

Could also explain General Changs bald look and deep Klingon conservativism.

• Advertisement

More info here for newssnobs :D

Comicbook also saying they will be revamped as stated by above posters.

http://comicbook.com/startrek/2018/08/07/star-trek-discovery-season-2-klingon-redesign/

Could also explain General Changs bald look and deep Klingon conservativism.

Again though, they're quoting the TrekMovie.com article and drawing conclusions ("Klingons Will Have 'Completely New Look' in Season 2") which make a good headline but I don't think are accurate.

We'll see new Klingons in Season 2. I doubt very much that the Klingon's we've seen so far will change appearance.

I could be wrong! But I'm seeing one source article which seems to make it clear that we'll see additional Klingon styles (which has been said or hinted at from the very beginning of Discovery), and two reactionary articles with "OMG They're All Changing!" click-bait headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Goodshape wrote: »
    Again though, they're quoting the TrekMovie.com article and drawing conclusions ("Klingons Will Have 'Completely New Look' in Season 2") which make a good headline but I don't think are accurate.

We'll see new Klingons in Season 2. I doubt very much that the Klingon's we've seen so far will change appearance.

This is the most sensible interpretation and it makes more sense that the show runners would handle it this way.

Most fans would likely prefer to see Klingons from previously unseen houses and from other regions of the empire introduced to help smooth the more superficial canon issues.

Hairy Klingons, but also ones still dealing with the augment virus to various degrees.

While they're at it, maybe they can have L'Rell reorganize the Imperial Fleet and the many House Fleets into the KDF we recognize.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, just retconning the baldness as a religious choice is the easiest path back to more traditional continuity, but it does look like some outlets have overblown the news into suggestions they're going to redesign the Klingons again. I'd say we'll just see some mullets is all, perhaps with clothing that echoes the TNG form.

Reason could be for the upcoming Picard Trek show. They might want a mix of Klingons, primal, augment virus and traditional.

Bit like how they had the Remans in Enterprise even though they werent created until that horrible Nemesis film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Grandson of Gregory Peck no less; Kurtzman's comments in the article at least give some hope that Spock won't be played as an automaton - something not always remembered when it comes to the Vulcans.

I can see the spock look in him alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Never heard of him. What else has he been in? What is he like as an actor?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Starting to look like Discovery Season 2 is a testing ground for "Enterprise: The Pike Years". They've already got the main cast and the updated Enterprise model.

gloobag wrote: »
    Starting to look like Discovery Season 2 is a testing ground for "Enterprise: The Pike Years". They've already got the main cast and the updated Enterprise model.

Or that the days of one ship, one crew, monster of the week are dead and gone...

Discovery is sitting somewhere between the old formula and the anthology show Bryan Fuller wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

CBS will begin releasing 4 shorts from October 4th in the build up to season 2.
    Each of the four stories will center on a key character, including familiar faces from Star Trek: Discovery: Mary Wiseman (Tilly), Doug Jones (Saru) and Rainn Wilson (Harry Mudd), in a short he will also direct, as well as a new character unfamiliar to fans, Craft, played by Aldis Hodge.

Runaway – Thursday, Oct. 4
    Onboard the U.S.S. Discovery, Ensign Tilly (Mary Wiseman) encounters an unexpected visitor in need of help. However, this unlikely pair may have more in common than meets the eye.

Written by Jenny Lumet & Alex Kurtzman. Directed by Maja Vrvilo.

Calypso – Thursday, Nov. 8
    After waking up in an unfamiliar sickbay, Craft (Aldis Hodge) finds himself on board a deserted ship, and his only companion and hope for survival is an A.I. computer interface.

Teleplay by Michael Chabon. Story by Sean Cochran and Michael Chabon. Directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi.

The Brightest Star – Thursday, Dec. 6
    Before he was the first Kelpien to join Starfleet, Saru (Doug Jones) lived a simple life on his home planet of Kaminar with his father and sister. Young Saru, full of ingenuity and a level of curiosity uncommon among his people, yearns to find out what lies beyond his village, leading him on an unexpected path.

Written by Bo Yeon Kim & Erika Lippoldt. Directed by Douglas Aarniokoski.

The Escape Artist – Thursday, Jan. 3
    Harry Mudd (Rainn Wilson), back to his old tricks of stealing and double-dealing, finds himself in a precarious position aboard a hostile ship – just in time to try out his latest con.

Written by Michael McMahan. Directed by Rainn Wilson.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/star-trek-short-treks-cbs-all-access-star-trek-discovery-1202468411/

Anyone got a link to the teaser that isn't region blocked?

Anyone got a link to the teaser that isn't region blocked?

A quick google and not much to see
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O59Qf2g7gXs

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Short Treks...ugh.

Digital Spy reporting no plans at the moment to air these on Netflix :-/
    DigitalSpy wrote:
    Unfortunately, it looks like this may be a US only thing right now, as Netflix has confirmed to Digital Spy that there are currently no plans to air the Short Treks on Netflix.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/star-trek-discovery/news/a866697/star-trek-discovery-short-trek-mini-episodes-first-look-premiere-date/

I imagine they'll "appear" quick enough via the usual routes. The two featuring new characters is an odd choice, wonder if either of them will later appear in Season 2 proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

pixelburp wrote: »
    I imagine they'll "appear" quick enough via the usual routes.

Of course they will. Piracy will as usual be incentivized because the alternative doesn’t exist.

Inviere wrote: »
    Of course they will. Piracy will as usual be incentivized because the alternative doesn’t exist.

You think the big wigs would have copped this by now.....make the content available or it will just get pirated.

You think the big wigs would have copped this by now.....make the content available or it will just get pirated.

There is a reason they don't really care about the piracy of it - creates buzz, people still buy the blu-rays and most shows would never continue without the initial freebie viewing. When something is hard to get it becomes more of a commodity (isn't that how Apple works?)

• Advertisement

There's also the element that ostensibly this is a US show, with only Netflix ensuring international broadcast. Probably doesn't occur to CBS that non US folk might want to watch those miniepisodes. Heck if it wasn't for Netflix I doubt this thread would have been any quieter.

Advertisement