Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 2*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Doesnt Captain Pike go on to suffer horrible injuries?

Watch "The Cage" and follow up in TOS "The Menagerie, Part I & II"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

BrookieD wrote: »
    Watch "The Cage" and follow up in TOS "The Menagerie, Part I & II"

Seen them, just trying to jog my memory

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

Doesnt Captain Pike go on to suffer horrible injuries?
    Mostly because it was a different actor and they didn't really look alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Very disappointed with that trailer. Its just more of the same silly magic nonsense. I do not see what everyone is getting so hyped up about it over. Sure the is a k7 Klingon cruiser there but also all the other klingnot ships as well. Don't think it looks that great myself. Thinks its getting over hyped and ye will be in for a big disappointment when it does eventually air.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

fritzelly wrote: »
    There is a reason they don't really care about the piracy of it - creates buzz, people still buy the blu-rays and most shows would never continue without the initial freebie viewing. When something is hard to get it becomes more of a commodity (isn't that how Apple works?)
    Nothing is hard to get anymore, it doesn't make it more of a commodity. You either want to pay for it or you don't and as always, US TV firms haven't thought it through and lost out.
    Evade wrote: »
    Mostly because it was a different actor and they didn't really look alike.

Well this one seems to be trying to make him look like JJs Pike

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Well this one seems to be trying to make him look like JJs Pike
    I didn't mean recast actors have to look exactly like the originals but in the case of the Menagerie having one Pike on screen in the footage from the Cage and another in the courtroom and them looking nothing alike would be an issue hence the disfigurement make up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I didn't mean recast actors have to look exactly like the originals but in the case of the Menagerie having one Pike on screen in the footage from the Cage and another in the courtroom and them looking nothing alike would be an issue hence the disfigurement make up.

I got that, I was making the point i seen no one else making in that this guy seems to have been cast for no other reason than he looks like a younger version of Pike from JJ Abrahms movies.

Now maybe they picked the best actor and decided it was easier to go that route but I just thought it stank of a room of casters who'd never even seen TOS and/or the pilot

CramCycle wrote: »
    Now maybe they picked the best actor and decided it was easier to go that route but I just thought it stank of a room of casters who'd never even seen TOS and/or the pilot
    People working on STD who don't know much about Star Trek? I'm shocked.

Just a thought so don't shoot - winged object and last Season 2 poster some mentioned Romulan design, soooooo could it be then the D7 cruiser is not Klingon but Romulan as there was an exchange of tech between the two factions with Romulan getting battlecruisers and Klingons gettings cloaking tech...... and as i type that i recall T'Kuvma having already used a cloak in Battle of binary stars..... hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

You know what?

I think they got this.

w/r/t Discovery's Klingons having shaved off their hair in time of war:

https://twitter.com/marythechief/status/1049381663522709504

https://twitter.com/marythechief/status/1049441015998730240

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's a better look at Number 1 via Rebecca Romijn's instagram: I quite like those new takes on the old uniforms (am wondering if the script will note them, some passing "oh, are those the new uniforms?" kinda dialogue)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BorUw0DhHpT/

Ms

BrookieD wrote: »
    Just a thought so don't shoot - winged object and last Season 2 poster some mentioned Romulan design, soooooo could it be then the D7 cruiser is not Klingon but Romulan as there was an exchange of tech between the two factions with Romulan getting battlecruisers and Klingons gettings cloaking tech...... and as i type that i recall T'Kuvma having already used a cloak in Battle of binary stars..... hmmmm

I doubt it. That happens much later on during Kirks five year run on the Enterprise. If you recall in ''The Original Series'' the Romulans still have the big winged Warbirds and Klingons have K7 and K9 cruisers but do not have cloaking tech yet.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Goodshape wrote: »
    You know what?

I think they got this.

Can they make the weird skin colours warpaint while they're at it?

AMKC wrote: »
    I doubt it. That happens much later on during Kirks five year run on the Enterprise. If you recall in ''The Original Series'' the Romulans still have the big winged Warbirds and Klingons have K7 and K9 cruisers but do not have cloaking tech yet.

Good point - i do doubt myself but would be an interesting take on it....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but Netflix confirmed that they'll be streaming the show the next day after CBS broadcast, starting on 18th January 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Goodshape wrote: »
    You know what?

I think they got this.

Mary Chieffo is one of the show's greatest assets. She's immersed herself in the mythology and seems to really enjoy talking about it.

Chieffo shared her new, hairier look as L'Rell, confirming that indeed the baldness was a fashion / religious choice:

https://twitter.com/marythechief/status/1054032284221722624

pixelburp wrote: »
    Chieffo shared her new, hairier look as L'Rell, confirming that indeed the baldness was a fashion / religious choice:
    And that the skin colour was warpaint? She looks a lot paler in that photo than she was in season 1.

Looks about the same to me; probably just the lighting. I wonder if they've also tweaked the teeth, a lot of the Klingons did sound quite obstructed by the prosthetics last year...

Colour could be mostly down to lighting alright.

Whole thing looks softer though. The scarring is removed, for one thing, and even that aside – there's a lot less going on in the face.

That's fine I guess. The first season makeup seemed to be a struggle to act through, so hopefully this is an improvement on that.

DqHUR9vXcAAl0Ss.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how you can call it the same, she was almost purple in season 1.

latest?cb=20180224045156&path-prefix=en
    I'm not complaining, all these roll backs seem like steps in the right direction to me. I hope next on the list is a crew that's not almost completely unlikable.

I'm not sure how you can call it the same, she was almost purple in season 1.

Looks sky-blue in the season one picture I posted.

Not saying it hasn't changed, just that it could be lighting.
    I'm not complaining, all these roll backs seem like steps in the right direction to me. I hope next on the list is a crew that's not almost completely unlikable.

Yeah. I enjoyed season one just fine – probably the strongest season one of a Trek series since TOS – but these changes are welcome. Hope it's not all window dressing and they've got the good stories to go with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭corkie

'Star Trek: Short Treks': "Calypso" Trailer Teases 1,000-Year Time Jump

^^^ Not sure if this is the correct thread for these, as there is no way to watch them legally here, as netflix did not get the rights to them as part of the discovery deal.
    Star Trek: Short Treks, "Calypso" debuts November 8th on CBS All Access.

Star Trek: Discovery Season Two is now filming in Toronto and will premiere on CBS All Access on January 17, 2019

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Ms

corkie wrote: »
    'Star Trek: Short Treks': "Calypso" Trailer Teases 1,000-Year Time Jump

^^^ Not sure if this is the correct thread for these, as there is no way to watch them legally here, as netflix did not get the rights to them as part of the discovery deal.

There is no tread for them. I don't think there is even a way to watch them illegally here. I never found them anyway. A pity as I would watch them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

AMKC wrote: »
    There is no tread for them. I don't think there is even a way to watch them illegally here. I never found them anyway. A pity as I would watch them.

There is, the first one is out there. Second one hasn't been released yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was just reading this article
    https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-budget-netflix-cbs/amp/

Seems the cost of Discovery was covered by what netflix paid for it with a bit left over

Wow, that's some downpayment lol: makes sense I guess, Netflix come across as eager to throw cash around in order to chase that latest viral / hyped IP. Their own 'genre' work has generally failed to find a wide audience such as Altered Carbon or Lost in Space (though the latter was highly enjoyable once it got going, with a Trek esque heart to it in many respects)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

pixelburp wrote: »
    Lost in Space

Thoroughly enjoyed that show, and eagerly await Season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So the next short is it tomorrow? Enjoyed the last one so looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Written by Michael Chabon no less, so a decent pedigree of writing for a short web-episode.

Advertisement