Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 2*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

Are those four pips on the front of the space suit rank? Burnham has four, so does Pike and I didn't see anyone else's clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well.. Pike is using the old Sleeve rank on his Gold Uniform and his is Captain.

I'm guessing the space suit pips are just a space suit design thing and not a rank thing. Maybe they change colour is something isn't working in the suit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CBS also said there'd be 4 mini episodes released online, 10-15 minutes each. They'll cover Tilly, Harry Mudd and others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Quite liked what I saw and notwithstanding the slightly navel gazing voiceover from Burnham, there was a distinct uptick in ... fun? Frivolity in the various scenes.

Slydice wrote: »
    Well.. Pike is using the old Sleeve rank on his Gold Uniform and his is Captain.

I'm guessing the space suit pips are just a space suit design thing and not a rank thing. Maybe they change colour is something isn't working in the suit.
    The Discovery comm badges use TNG style pips for rank and it just looks odd if that's not what the are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,251 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well that trailer has just got me super excited for season 2!

Loving the retro throwback with the uniforms

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

This is looking great, can’t wait

• Registered Users Posts: 15,566 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So when will season 2 be available to watch?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

AMKC wrote: »
    So when will season 2 be available to watch?

January 2019.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's a few other details emerged, that aren't in the video.
    Rebecca Romjin plays the Enterprise first officer, referred to as Number One, which seems to be a throwback to the TOS first pilot.

And Wilson Cruz is back as Dr Culber.

While we seem to see the initial setup for season 2, the first started off in one direction and pivotted fairly massively, so it may not amount to much ultimately.

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    The Discovery comm badges use TNG style pips for rank and it just looks odd if that's not what the are.

I dunno. We've seen lights on space suits before.

I didn't know about the comm badge pips. Cool!
    Confirmed here: https://trekmovie.com/2017/06/22/a-close-up-look-at-star-trek-discovery-uniforms-infographic/

Later in the trailer, we see Burnham has 3 pips:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Cd7NKKvDc (2m03s)
    456290.jpg

Slydice wrote: »
    I dunno. We've seen lights on space suits before.
    It's not just that they're lights it's the specific shape and distance. It would be the same level of odd if the sleeves had a design that had two solid lines with a broken line in between around the cuff area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hmmm.. OK.

On the plus side,

- Pike is good... very good even. Far better than Georgiou. Looks like a good choice!

- The overall tone seems more in keeping with TOS and thankfully not a "Klingon" in sight!

- Production values are obviously still very high

Now the negatives...

- the humor is like someone read all the comments about the Orville, watched it and copy/pasted it ("we got this don't we ladies?", "power of math", and the sneeze at the end) - works there, but just strikes me as trying too hard here.

- The hidden/mysterious message plot seems lifted from Stargate Universe. I would have rather see that crew chase it TBH. There was a similar one in TNG too.

- Pre-TOS sensors can scan 30,000LY? They're going to explore 30,000LY? I'm sure Voyager could have used that tech. This is the problem with prequels supposedly set in the same universe. You either reset or screw up all you've established before.

- Not a fan of the soft-rock track in the trailer... it's not a bad song, but it reminds me too much of the Beyond trailer.

Who's the "I thought we were gonna die" (more Orville-style comic relief) actor? She looks familiar.

Overall I'd say it looks BETTER yes, and that line about "space and time" with the mysterious figure appearing sets it up for a full reset if deemed necessary (depending on how far they've shot), but it still feels "off" and unsure of what it's trying to be.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    - Pre-TOS sensors can scan 30,000LY? They're going to explore 30,000LY? I'm sure Voyager could have used that tech. This is the problem with prequels supposedly set in the same universe. You either reset or screw up all you've established before.
    I'm not usually one to defend STD but they could have detected a signal and traced it's origin to those stars. The DASH drive's ludicrous speed is still dumb and are they forgetting that using it incorrectly can destroy the multiverse?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Not a fan of the soft-rock track in the trailer... it's not a bad song, but it reminds me too much of the Beyond trailer.

My thoughts exactly. I feel Star Trek and contemporary music don't generally gel well together, and the combination of both tends to have a cheapening effect overall.

The humour also reminds me of 'cinema humour', ie, you crack a smile the first time, but has absolute zero rewatchability in terms of ever being funny again.

Overall though, I'm hyped for it...it looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Trailer looks great.

I wouldn't worry about the music. I remember Voyager and Enterprise having modern music in some of their trailers. Look how they turned out. :P

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Hmmm.. OK.

On the plus side,

- Pike is good... very good even. Far better than Georgiou. Looks like a good choice!
    Took a liking to Pike; it'll be an interesting situation to be in, because ignoring the Kelvinverse, he has only been in 2 episodes of Trek - and only one of those in any characterful way. So long as it doesn't step too much on the person we saw in The Cage, there's good scope to expand the character out.
    - The overall tone seems more in keeping with TOS and thankfully not a "Klingon" in sight!
    I'm not 100%, but I think the talking heads at Comic Con said that we will check in on the Klingons during season 2, but like I said I'm not sure and too lazy to dig out the article I thought I read it mentioned.
    - Production values are obviously still very high
    I think that's something worth mentioning actually; for all the issues with Season 1, the FX throughout were pretty fantastic, particularly loved the many exterior action shots of ships. The trailer looks to be keeping the quality level pretty high.

Discovery and The Expanse are setting the bar for TV-budget spaceship FX.

Who's the "I thought we were gonna die" (more Orville-style comic relief) actor? She looks familiar.

Overall I'd say it looks BETTER yes, and that line about "space and time" with the mysterious figure appearing sets it up for a full reset if deemed necessary (depending on how far they've shot), but it still feels "off" and unsure of what it's trying to be.

The actor is a stand-up comedian called Tig Notaro; tbh know nothing of her, though her routines have popped up on Netflix from time to time.

As for the mysterious figure: I mean, it's Spock, right? The convenient leave he has taken, we're told during the trailer, makes sure not too much Enterprise canon strays into Discovery, but if the trailer's insinuating Spock has some link with this phenomenon I suspect that's going to be the 'big shock!' moment of season 2. Zachary Quinto picking up a paycheque for a couple of episodes :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The casting of Spock would generate some noise, but there's nothing so far. I'm curious as to what that implies.

Quinto is certainly happy to play Spock and be involved with Star Trek, he's doing a documentary about it, as well as the next Kelvinverse movie. It'd seem easy enough to cast him, and he'd seem willing, but there's nothing being said. But then again they've played games with casting info in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,251 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

He's doing 2 movies more and that's it, he's doing a tv documentary series that's got nothing to do with star trek tho he wasn't really great in it, bit wooden

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

fritzelly wrote: »
    [Zachary Quinto] wasn't really great in it, bit wooden

I think that's him in everything tbh, including Star Trek :(. While it would be cool to see him play the role in Discovery, just for continuity's sake, I wouldn't be upset if they recast it.

Is it just me, or are Vulcan's very rarely portrayed convincingly outside of Leonard Nimoy and Mark Lenard?

Those guys have an effortless zen that almost nobody else seems to emulate correctly. Instead, outside of them, usually it's just slightly robotic affectations and furrowed brows, contemplating a thousand thoughts at a time.

Nimoy was stern but he was never robotic. Emotionless, but not grumpy or annoyed all the time. Just... stoic and zen. I'm not sure anyone else, including Quinto or Tim Russ, ever quite got that right.

The new Sarek too, who's fine and good enough, just seems a bit stoned maybe, with heavy eyelids and relaxed demeanour. None of the gravitas of, the quintessentially Vulcan, Mark Lenard.

Edit:: actually, Kirstie Alley in Wrath of Khan did a good Vulcan too. Her replacement in ST3 was rubbish though, and Kim Cattrall wasn't too much better (at being a Vulcan, specifically) in 6.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »
    Is it just me, or are Vulcan's very rarely portrayed convincingly outside of Leonard Nimoy and Mark Lenard?

Tim Russ did a great job with Tuvok. The two you mention and himself are the stalwarts imo, most others hadn't got the effortless zen as you say, and other Vulcans were just plain scripted/acted wrongly (they slowly became emotional racists, instead of the logical zen masters we had come to know and love)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think it's a performance problem so much as the Vulcans were just re-conceived by Kurtzman et al as having more suppressed emotions/anger. All previous Vulcan actors based their performance on Nimoy and were working off scripts that stayed true to his interpretation, where as all the post-ST2009 ones were based on Quinto who was working off a script that required him to be more emotionally volatile. This has continued with Discovery.

All previous Vulcan actors based their performance on Nimoy and were working off scripts that stayed true to his interpretation...

Can't say I see the evidence for that. The Vulcans in Enterprise, arguably T'Pol aside, were way more emotional than they should have been, and this was long before the '09 reimagining. They were portrayed as angry, racist, and volatile...waaaay more so than we had previously seen with Spock et al. As a result, they were downright unlikable as a people, instead of being inspiring, admirable, and perhaps annoyingly 'right all the time', as we can had to know them to be.
    ...where as all the post-ST2009 ones were based on Quinto who was working off a script that required him to be more emotionally volatile. This has continued with Discovery.

Funnily enough, I think Quinto is quite good at portraying a young half blooded Spock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I agree that Quinto's portrayal still fits with the character but not as Nimoy played him. In fact, I don't think Nimoy would be cast as Spock today. That stoic thing that he excelled at is not how Vulcans are portrayed anymore.

I didn't really watch Enterprise past the first few episode, so maybe you're right that they were re-imagined earlier. However, I still think Nimoy was the template for all previous casting/performances.

In fact, I don't think Nimoy would be cast as Spock today. That stoic thing that he excelled at is not how Vulcans are portrayed anymore.

Without a doubt. It's sad really, I much preferred Vulcans as the sage-like 'big brother' of humanity. In a way, they reflected some of the best parts of humanity, and gave us something to aspire towards (embracing peace, using logic instead of greed, critical thinking, brains over brawn etc). Now though, they're just slightly different humans...emotional, volatile, and, well, crap :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I thought the Vulans in Enterprise were on there way to becoming the Spock type Vulcan after the discovering the Kir'Shara

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I thought the Vulans in Enterprise were on there way to becoming the Spock type Vulcan after the discovering the Kir'Shara

There's just over a hundred years between ENT & TOS, and with Vulcans living well into their hundreds, that level of change just isn't believable. They tried to make the Vulcans annoying and interesting by making them hostile, racist, xenophobic, and so forth. Imo, it helped make the show a chore to watch early on, and ultimately backfired.

Wasn't the Vulcan attitude in Enterprise mostly down to the influence of the high Command which was disbanded during season four? The Party putting the few right thinking true believers in positions of power seems like pretty plausible scenario with the vast majority of the population just going along with the status quo.

I wondered who yer wan was..
    456365.jpg

She's Tig Notaro
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tig_Notaro
    an American stand-up comic, writer, radio contributor, and actress.[2] She is known for her deadpan comedy.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tig_Notaro#Career
    https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/tig-notaro-star-trek-discovery-1202750016/
    guest-star as Chief Engineer Denise Reno of the U.S.S. Hiawatha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Hiawatha
    USS Hiawatha has been the name of more than one United States Navy ship, and may refer to:

USS Hiawatha (SP-183), a patrol vessel in commission from 1917 to 1920
    USS Hiawatha (ID-2892), a tug in commission in 1918
    USS Hiawatha (YT-265), later YTB-265 and YTM-265, a tug placed in service in 1942 and sold for scrapping in 1987

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiawatha
    a pre-colonial Native American leader and co-founder of the Iroquois Confederacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Overall I liked the trailer. I though anson mount makes a really good choice for Pike. I do like the humour but yeah it does tip over into 'trying too hard'. I did groan loudly at the statement that Spock is connected with this new anomaly. Could they not have used the character without having to crowbar him into the season arc?

Advertisement