Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish who are more famous/acclaimed abroad than here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Dots1982 wrote: »
    The Kelly family were massive in Germany and Poland and other places, not sure if the whole family were Irish citizens

I don't know if its the same Kelly family, but I think one of them teaches Percussion at Cork School of Music.

They definitely used to have a massive yacht moored in crosshaven. They must have been making obscene amounts of money but few people know who they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I can’t remember their name but there’s an Irish band that are huge in Europe and totally unknown here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Kellys had a house in Cork, possibly East Ferry. I think they grew up in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Craig Doyle - he seemed to be on everything when I lived in the UK.

Since moving to Ireland I can't recall seeing or hearing him on Irish media. Have seen him doing rugby presenting on ITV though. I was surprised to read that he has shows on RTE and lives in Wicklow, took him to be an adopted Brit. Then again I hardly ever watch or listen to RTE.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The Script?
    Absolutely massive abroad but don't seem to get much coverage here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Birneybau wrote: »
    Are you just throwing out random Irish things?

Seriously it’s ridiculous. Conor McGregor, Saoirse Ronan, Jedward, Fr Ted. All basically household names in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Omackeral wrote: »
    Birneybau wrote: »
    Are you just throwing out random Irish things?

Seriously it’s ridiculous. Conor McGregor, Saoirse Ronan, Jedward, Fr Ted. All basically household names in Ireland.

Defended herself above, bizarrely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

david75 wrote: »
    I can’t remember their name but there’s an Irish band that are huge in Europe and totally unknown here.

Raglans? I saw them open for the Strypes once.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Yeah but more famous abroad. We are only a small country with a small population. Really this shouldn't be taken so seriously. You need to get a life.

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    Yeah but more famous abroad.

Everyone in Ireland knows them. I bet barely anyone in the USA knows Jedward or Fr Ted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Pat McGlade

Robert O’Connell

Frank Higgins

Shaun McMorrow

Everyone in Ireland knows them. I bet barely anyone in the USA knows Jedward or Fr Ted

Jedward's fanbase was in Asia

Father Ted was huge across Europe.

Like Bono, Johnny Logan, Cranberries . Enya . .All had huge fanbases OUTSIDE Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

One prime example would be Enya, she has a big following on the Continent, Germany , Italy etc yet here shes largely known as that strange lady who lives alone in a castle and makes celtic new age-y music (famously mocked in the film Intermission)

They'd soon soon shut up if they knew how much money she was earning.

Jedward's fanbase was in Asia

Like Bono, Johnny Logan, Cranberries . Enya . .All had huge fanbases OUTSIDE Ireland :D

And IN Ireland. The thread says people that were bigger outside Ireland.

And IN Ireland. The thread says people that were bigger outside Ireland.

They are all bigger OUTSIDE Ireland.

Omackeral .. you need to get a life.. splitting hairs on boards. ie. . Really is it worth checking back on my posts for?

Take up knitting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Del2005 wrote: »
    Johny Logan.

I was surprised to see him on a 'Nationwide'-esque programme on Flemish television a couple of years ago at Christmas time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

No it wasn't.

Father Ted was arguably the biggest cultural touchstone in Irish popular culture in the past 30 years; you will still see eejits at protests, no matter how serious the issue, with a 'Down with this sort of thing' poster.

There is no way it was/is more famous outside Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Heroditas wrote: »
    The Script?
    no one heard of them outside Ireland, thats daft .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Barack Obama would be one that comes to mind. Johnny Logan is a big cheese in the fatherland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

fatknacker wrote: »
    Leprechauns. Irish Americans made them what they are today. That's why they're always dressed like 19th C bumpkins.

Think in recent years more 'native' Irish are aping the Yanks with leprechaun related outfits, hats and decorations. Doesn't seem to have the same cringy factor as 15-20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Think in recent years more 'native' Irish are aping the Yanks with leprechaun related outfits, hats and decorations. Doesn't seem to have the same cringy factor as 15-20 years ago.

I think leperachauns(real ones) look quite snappy and well turned out. I often ponder why they all seem to have beards in the style of a man who identifies himself as a subscriber of the Mennonite faith, or to a lesser extent an Amish man. Long wispy beard yet cleanly shaven upper lips. I'm starting to think that the whole leperachaun spiel is a bit of a scam to be honest, I'm on the wrong side of 35 and I've lived in Ireland all my life and I've yet to spot one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Did you ever see Foster and Allen on TOTP. CRINGE.
    I think the modern use of paddywhackery is done in a selfdeprecating manner, a la Paddywagon Tourism.

They are all bigger OUTSIDE Ireland.

Omackeral .. you need to get a life.. splitting hairs on boards. ie. . Really is it worth checking back on my posts for?

Take up knitting. :D

Your posts were literally a page ago. I remembered them because a) I don't have the attention span of a turnip and b) they were nonsense. Also, putting stuff in CAPITAL LETTERS doesn't make your sh*tty point any more correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Heroditas wrote: »
    The Script?

Well they definitely got the top billings I recall when Oxegen Festival was on the go and plenty of airplay on Irish radio, although I wouldn't be a fan.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I think leperachauns(real ones) look quite snappy and well turned out. I often ponder why they all seem to have beards in the style of a man who identifies himself as a subscriber of the Mennonite faith, or to a lesser extent an Amish man. Long wispy beard yet cleanly shaven upper lips. I'm starting to think that the whole leperachaun spiel is a bit of a scam to be honest, I'm on the wrong side of 35 and I've lived in Ireland all my life and I've yet to spot one.

Probably borrowed from the image of the 19th cent/early 20th century 'Stage Irishman' and satirical cartoons...fashions and wearing clothes comically out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Daniel Day Lewis. He's rated as one of the greatest actors on the planet but doesn't seem to get the same recognition here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Bray's own Fergal Devitt is a huge star in the USA,UK and Japan. He's better known as WWE wrestler Finn Balor and formerly as Prince Devitt. A good looking, talented, popular and humble chap and in great nick too

He’s in good nick because he’s after getting badly involved in juicing the last two years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Household names, but not always in a good way. There is a very high level of dislike and/or embarrassment of both Jedward and McGregor in Ireland whereas abroad they are probably held in higher regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Daniel Day Lewis. He's rated as one of the greatest actors on the planet but doesn't seem to get the same recognition here in Ireland

Because he’s a dick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Because he’s a dick.

An English dick

Advertisement