Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish who are more famous/acclaimed abroad than here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Brian Carney was considered a major name in Rugby League circles and represented the Great Britain side. Played on a serious Wigan team and was unfortunate to lose two Super League Grand Finals.

Played Union professionally in Ireland also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Annie Mac. Well known in radio in UK, probably mostly known here for Other Voices which doesn't get huge viewing figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Kelly Family, still somewhat of a big deal in Germany... Or are least some of their members that now live there and live the life of a C-celeb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

LirW wrote: »
    Kelly Family, still somewhat of a big deal in Germany... Or are least some of their members that now live there and live the life of a C-celeb.

Well they are German. Their Irish links are tenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

darkdubh wrote: »
    Well they are German. Their Irish links are tenuous.

Spanish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bikubesong

Supervet Noel Fitzpatrick.

Highly accomplished in his field, and has a Channel 4 show. Yet no-one in Ireland seems to have heard of him. Not saying he's an A-lister in the UK but definitely more successful/well known.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

A Man is never a prophet in his own country.

Rory Gallagher was more appeciated on the continent than he was at home .

Was a name in Europe. Even has a street named after him in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

Ruth Negga has had quite a few U.S. roles since Love/Hate.

Had a stint on Agents of Shield and is currently starring in Preacher which is a great series. Also has a movie coming out next year with Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Daniel day Lewis isn’t irish really. He lives here. Has no public profile here so it’s unlikely he’s significantly any less or more popular than anywhere else in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

It’s possible van Morrison’s genius is more recognized in the US than here, but that might also be because he was in his pomp in the 60s and 70s so just a time gap thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Ed Byrne, the comedian..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Eileen Gray, architect and furniture designer. She is dead now but was one of the leaders of the modernist movement and her influence on design has carried through to many modern homes today. One of her chairs sold for over 25 million a few years back. There is a permanent display of her work in the National Museum but most Irish people would not know who she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Eileen Gray, architect and furniture designer. She is dead now but was one of the leaders of the modernist movement and her influence on design has carried through to many modern homes today. One of her chairs sold for over 25 million a few years back. There is a permanent display of her work in the National Museum but most Irish people would not know who she was.

To be honest, how many furniture designers can anyone name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Lucky Charms , they are massive in the states but hardly known here.
    they are an american product, i believe they were available for a brief period on the Irish market in the late 80s. today you can buy a single serving in Dealz for 1.50

I wonder, do leprechauns have both male and female sexual organs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Rory Gallagher was more appeciated on the continent than he was at home .

Was a name in Europe. Even has a street named after him in Paris.

Have you never heard of the Rory Gallagher festival in Ballyshannon County Donegal happening on 31st May to 3rd June. Wishbone Ash is one of the headliners.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Have you never heard of the Rory Gallagher festival in Ballyshannon County Donegal happening on 31st May to 3rd June. Wishbone Ash is one of the headliners.
    I was there myself back in 2012 when the Horslips and Mick Taylor headlined it.

The festival came about after Rory's death.

He had a higher profile on the continent than he did in Ireland during his prime after Taste as a solo artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I was there myself back in 2012 when the Horslips and Mick Taylor headlined it.

The festival came about after Rory's death.

He had a higher profile on the continent than he did in Ireland during his prime after Taste as a solo artist.

Most Irish people under 35 won't know he was, but he did play Rockpalast in Germany, which wasn't exactly a show for small up and coming acts. ( as far as I can tell anyway by the list of previous performers)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Eoin Morgan the turncoat

Eoin Morgan for sure. The England Cricket captain, a regular in the Indian Premier League, Pakistan Premier League, Australian Big Bash, Caribbean Premier League. He's arguably the most famous Irish Born sports person right now (probably excluding Conor McGregor). Yet the chap could easily walk down Grafton Street 10 times and not get recognized

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 War ensemble

The original boyzone lad who didn't make it to the final lineup. He's one of the judges on Vietnam X factor

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The original boyzone lad who didn't make it to the final lineup. He's one of the judges on Vietnam X factor

I want to believe this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Eoin Morgan for sure. The England Cricket captain, a regular in the Indian Premier League, Pakistan Premier League, Australian Big Bash, Caribbean Premier League. He's arguably the most famous Irish Born sports person right now (probably excluding Conor McGregor). Yet the chap could easily walk down Grafton Street 10 times and not get recognized

You jest surely, Rory McIlroy would be far more famous than Morgan, as indeed would many others!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can't think of her name of the top of my head so probably right for this thread.

She starred in Touched by an Angel and is now one of the most powerful women behind the scenes in Hollywood along with her husband they makes reality tv shows like Survivor and lots of religious shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I can't think of her name of the top of my head so probably right for this thread.

She starred in Touched by an Angel and is now one of the most powerful women behind the scenes in Hollywood along with her husband they makes reality tv shows like Survivor and lots of religious shows.

Roma Downey I think you are talking about, mentioned in the first few pages.

But she is a perfect example.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Roma Downey I think you are talking about, mentioned in the first few pages.

But she is a perfect example.

That's her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Caitriona Balfe of Outlander fame. She’s been nominated for awards such as Golden Globes on a regular basis but still not a very big star over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Sean Kelly. In the Top 5 best professional cyclists of all time, has godlike status in Belgium and would be very well known in many parts of Europe. I’d say 50% of people here wouldn’t recognise him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Collinson brothers from Limerick. They're still quite young and have only been in silicon valley a few years and they already have a company worth over $100m and are having dinner meetings with Zuckerburg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

greencap wrote: »
    :confused:

Bloody predictive text, that should have said Dara!

Advertisement