Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hostage/Siege in French Supermarket - Islamic State angle

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I agree, he was probably saying, my brakes don't work, quickly move out of the way.

Or possibly "keep going chaps, good work, may allah smile upon your exercise"

Gravelly wrote: »
    No, doesn't necessarily mean it's terrorism, but probably rules out an accident, or the French far-right (which apparently is THE REAL DANGER). Arabic-shouting men deliberately driving vehicles at people in France does lead one to suspect a certain angle, but perhaps that's due to racism, or toxic masculinity, or islamophobia or something.

More likely common sense, but then that's not terribly fashionable these days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Seems judging a situation based on the offender being Arabic may not be totally reliable.
    The pair were initially reported to have yelled death threats in Arabic - but Grenoble Prosecutor Jean-Yves Coquillat told that 'there was no religious talk, no Allahu Akbar pronounced'.

'This is quite clearly not a case of terrorism,' he said
    Army spokesman Colonel Benoit Brulon, said: 'At around 8:15am today, a man verbally threatened six or seven soldiers who were out jogging. Then he did the same thing to a second group of runners.

'When they returned to speak to him, he tried to ram them them. The soldiers managed to get on to the pavement without being crushed.

Coquillat said the 25-year-old man was known to authorities for petty crime and had spent some time in prison. He was found drunk, passed out at the wheel of the car.

I suppose it comes down to what you consider an act of terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Seems judging a situation based on the offender being Arabic may not be totally reliable.

I suppose it comes down to what you consider an act of terrorism.

Well, he was drunk so clearly a moderate Muslim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

That's true. You reckon that means it was terrorism? I wonder why they didn't print what he actually said.

I agree, he was probably saying, my brakes don't work, quickly move out of the way.
    Ahh
    Must be galling that this was just a drunk driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

baylah17 wrote: »
    Ahh
    Must be galling that this was just a drunk driver

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of there being some deep seeded hatred of France or authority figures based on IS propaganda or Middle East activity but it's difficult to see this as a terrorist incident rather than a road rage incident.

Advertisement