Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Duff wrote: »
    Anyone ever refurbish a set of alloys before? Picked up a set of wheels dirt cheap with the intention of refurbing them over the coming weeks.

From what I can gather, an overview of the steps are - clean/degrease wheels - apply paint stripper - clean wheels again - sand down from heavy to light grit sandpaper - fill in scuffs with filler - sand down again until even and smooth - primer layers x 3 - paint x 3 and then finish with clear coat.

Does that seem correct? Going to start ordering what I need online.

Thanks.

Unless you’ve lots of patience and a warm, dry garage (and somewhere to kind of heat them dry) you’ll spent probably half the cost of getting them done properly on materials.

Other easy, cheap option is to just plasti dip them. It’s a spray on rubbery type paint. Much easier

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I refurbed a set of audi alloys years ago and did a good job, if i was doing it again i'd bring them to a place to get them stripped/blasted and cut out all the elbow grease. I think i did it for 50e (4 x 17'' Audi A4 sport wheels)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Did anyone else have their car fcuking destroyed by the rain yesterday?

Must have been sand from the Sahara desert up in the atmosphere, and it came down with the rain and left a lovely coat of sh1te all over the car!!

Your definition for "destroyed by precipitation" and the definition around these parts is definitely different. I think it's the main cause for the relatively high insurance costs.
    hail-damage.jpg

Looks like Father Ted got at it with the hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Weird question ive always had in my head if you filled a car with petrol or diesel and just left it idling would the car break down before the fuel ran out.

• Advertisement

No reason why it would break down..... As long as the coolant system was tip top & the fan came on as it should.

Long-term it wouldn't do an engine any good but on a single tank of fuel it'd idle away grand.

Using approx 1l / hour ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ofcork wrote: »
    Weird question ive always had in my head if you filled a car with petrol or diesel and just left it idling would the car break down before the fuel ran out.

If this was the case how would a generator not die.....

JCB digger or similar or train ticking over all night and so on....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Augeo wrote: »
    No reason why it would break down..... As long as the coolant system was tip top & the fan came on as it should.

Long-term it wouldn't do an engine any good but on a single tank of fuel it'd idle away grand.

Using approx 1l / hour ish.

Depends on the engine.

If the sparkplugs are too cold they might foul up - but that's an easy fix.

A diesel will idle away for hours, but might not generate enough heat to get properly warm.

A 60 litre tank will give you about 120 hours with a diesel, or 30 hours with a petrol. Which if you've an inverter is a lot of phone charging and fridge time using your car as a generator when the apocalypse comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I am not the biggest Jap fanboi. But always liked the R35. This one is nice Litchfield mods as well 650bhp. They are seriously rare in Ireland which just adds to the appeal.

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Nissan/GT-R-GTR
    R35-02DR-A/201911184492940

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Savage motor. Some hefty price tag for an 11 yr old car though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

CIP4 wrote: »
    I am not the biggest Jap fanboi. But always liked the R35. This one is nice Litchfield mods as well 650bhp. They are seriously rare in Ireland which just adds to the appeal.

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Nissan/GT-R-GTR
    R35-02DR-A/201911184492940

I remember many years ago delivering to an apartment block in glasnevin and there was one of them in the car park

The car park was over ground and around the blocks. And as I was delivering to the guy I asked him what the story was with it and he says to me

"Yeah it's a nice car, only thing is the guy has to come out in the morning to start it and leave it running for a few minutes before being able to drive it. Makes a lot of noise doing that it can wake us up"

Of course at the time I just thought "brilliant"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Fella that turbo'd the girlfriends car built a good few high powered GTR's, including a red 1000hp one.
    Great car but God they are fugly, and huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Wailin wrote: »

Yes but probably won’t lose a whole lot more though as there are so few it’s never going to be a 10k euro car. I would imagine the Litchfield upgrades were big money seen a few videos on the place and doubt they do anything cheap.

I would say if you owned that it would draw serious attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Wailin wrote: »

If I had that kind of money to drop on a car I'd..........ah no who am I kidding, yes I'd buy that GTR :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

If I had that kind of money to drop on a car I'd..........ah no who am I kidding, yes I'd buy that GTR :D

In a heart beat,pretty sure that particular GTR along with another NI one were on a pistonheads run through Wicklow years ago - serious road presence and well able to shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I drove a GT-R in Nutts Corner a few years back and it was an epic machine. Acceleration was on a different level compared to the other cars I drove that day which consisted of 996 GT3, Gallardo and F430. If I could afford it, I would love to own one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm not a fan of the jdm/jap car culture (despite owning a jdm corona) but I do love the r35 gtr. They had power gains most MY so I'd prefer a newer one.
    They, along with the c8 corvette, are one of the few cars you can buy for reasonable money that are as fast or faster 0-60 than a Tesla Model S performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I skipped the GTR that day, queue was a bit long for it. The manual GT3 was the pick of them for me, so took it out twice. Based on the queues it seemed the least popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I skipped the GTR that day, queue was a bit long for it. The manual GT3 was the pick of them for me, so took it out twice. Based on the queues it seemed the least popular.
    I did a similar thing over in Dunsfold with herself.
    She opted for the GTR while I went for a DBS. Seemingly it was awesome, DBS wasn't great.
    Also drove a Gallardo, 458 and Atom. Gallardo was a bit ****, 458 was class, Atom was great craic, probably actually my favourite.

Got brought out for a lap in a supercharged Atom then, driven by a psycho, ****ing nippy little go kart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Yeah the passenger lap in the atom just shows you what a proper driver can do, forgot about that actually.

I drove the Ferrari and Lambo too, and was really unimpressed with them. I think it was because they had covers on the seats etc that the interior didn't feel very special at all. I can't even really remember what models they were, think it was 430. I just realised the USB stick with the videos from the day is sitting on my desk here. Just watched some of it :)

• Advertisement

Just got a sponsored advert on Facebook.

Not something I'd pay attention to but hace a look at the images

Links:

https://www.otomoto.pl/oferta/opel-mokka-navi-kamera-klimatronic-zarejestrowany-ID6D0eRH.html

https://www.autodna.com/lp/W0LJD7E86G4230305/auto/dbc8c652a79713766a3c202b36d1fa06c3224d0b

Either the crash repair guy is very good at his job or it's cloned , either way there's an eye opener

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have a look at Arthur Tussicks YouTube channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

He's some man, very impressive but a lot of that stuff should never seen the road again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd love to see one that is brought back crash tested and put up to show how dangerous they are....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

100%! agree. He’s got massive skill but stuff like cutting sections out of chassis legs and stretching back out metal that’s clearly compromised makes me cringe. Nevermind the cut and shut stuff he does.

That 7 series was the worst I’ve seen bar some other crowd Garage Kaxobka doing a Daewoo Lanos that had huge damage.

I just watched the BMW 7 repair in full

No I wouldn't at all be happy about driving it, even as a last resort. Pulling at supports and pulling metal back out.

Like above, I'd hate to see any of those cars crashed again

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Yeah the passenger lap in the atom just shows you what a proper driver can do, forgot about that actually.

I drove the Ferrari and Lambo too, and was really unimpressed with them. I think it was because they had covers on the seats etc that the interior didn't feel very special at all. I can't even really remember what models they were, think it was 430. I just realised the USB stick with the videos from the day is sitting on my desk here. Just watched some of it :)

I drove a Ferrari 430 convertible in Spain. Bar the fact I was in Spain, in a convertible and it was sunny it was terrible. Horrible car to drive. Maybe because it was a rental and I’m sure had seen plenty of abuse, but It really was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Just got a sponsored advert on Facebook.

Not something I'd pay attention to but hace a look at the images

Links:

https://www.otomoto.pl/oferta/opel-mokka-navi-kamera-klimatronic-zarejestrowany-ID6D0eRH.html

https://www.autodna.com/lp/W0LJD7E86G4230305/auto/dbc8c652a79713766a3c202b36d1fa06c3224d0b

Either the crash repair guy is very good at his job or it's cloned , either way there's an eye opener
    Happens very frequently in Poland, as well as other Central/Eastern European countries. There's even strong market selling "quarters" or "halves" of cars.

https://www.otomoto.pl/czesci/q-ćwiartka/?search%5Bnew_used%5D=all

"Ćwiartka" means "quarter". :)

Pity there are many buyers totally unaware what sort of deathtrap they bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

L-M wrote: »
    Looks like Father Ted got at it with the hammer.

I heard Ed China in an interview on the late late that he did the original damage on the Rover 213 for Father Ted

24.2.jpg

• Advertisement

Bigus wrote: »

I heard Ed China in an interview on the late late that he did the original damage on the Rover 213 for Father Ted

I'm fairly sure Ed China did that kind of stuff when he was younger.

Even on Top Gear a long time ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC7f1OKQ78M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement