Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don’t think BIK for car salesmen is actually linked to a vehicle. They used to do it that there was a nominal value put on a demo (think it was €20 or €25k) regardless of what you drove. That’s a while ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Even when all this lockdown is over I could see new car sales being slow to pick up to the level they were at. What is currently happening will surely make a few rethink their finances and make them maybe buy a secondhand car as opposed to new. Maybe I am wrong hard to know I suppose it all depends on how well the Irish economy holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I don’t think BIK for car salesmen is actually linked to a vehicle. They used to do it that there was a nominal value put on a demo (think it was €20 or €25k) regardless of what you drove. That’s a while ago now.

The rates vary now, they are all relative to the value of the car where the value for motor trade BIK purposes is roughly half the market value.

BIC on a car for a normal Joe Soap doing no business miles (or very little) is 30% of the new price of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Low 20's basic in most places. Probably the same again for commission OTE I'd say.

Any salesman you ask says with commission has doing 70-80k gross p/a, so divide that by 2 for the actual number and he's making 40k a year on a good year.

Maybe some lads in big dealers are doing big numbers like that but a middle of the road lad in a middle of the road dealer I cant see doing wicked money.

You could probably tell by their demo too and the BIK amount, some lads driving a loaded Touareg, others in a middling Golf.

So is that grossing 80k before tax and 40k after tax or 40k gross?
    If the lower figures than I am surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

carsfan2 wrote: »
    So is that grossing 80k before tax and 40k after tax or 40k gross?
    If the lower figures than I am surprised.

Most would say they are doing 80k ish gross and are actually (IMO) doing around 40k gross

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Ironically in a few months time in the middle of a recession is probably the best time to buy a new car. Lack of supply of cars registered during the last recession meant they held their values a little better once out the other end.

Anyone remember all the huge discounting manufacturers were doing?
    Clio for €9k, Megane for €14k, Fluence €15k? I30 €17k?
    Look at the list price of those models now.
    Clio €17k, Megane €23k, Megane saloon €27k, i30 €22k

Next thing is this comes back again for a year or so then goes - and that’s how you do well on depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

CIP4 wrote: »
    Even when all this lockdown is over I could see new car sales being slow to pick up to the level they were at. What is currently happening will surely make a few rethink their finances and make them maybe buy a secondhand car as opposed to new. Maybe I am wrong hard to know I suppose it all depends on how well the Irish economy holds up.

Yes exactly.

The problem that caused it will be over - ie Coronavirus.

But economically youve got a 2008 style crash - and it will take time to come back.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Yes exactly.

The problem that caused it will be over - ie Coronavirus.

But economically youve got a 2008 style crash - and it will take time to come back.

Wouldn't be very nice if you had been living on the edge week to week financially for the last while and are now suddenly on 350 euro a week. It is tough for a lot people at least those with savings have some kind of buffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Anyone remember all the huge discounting manufacturers were doing?
    Clio for €9k, Megane for €14k, Fluence €15k? I30 €17k?
    Look at the list price of those models now.
    Clio €17k, Megane €23k, Megane saloon €27k, i30 €22k

Next thing is this comes back again for a year or so then goes - and that’s how you do well on depreciation.

In 2011 bog standard Fluence was 12k,Megane was 11k and Clio was 8k. They shifted a lot of stock that way. Horrible depressing cars though

PsychoPete wrote: »
    In 2011 bog standard Fluence was 12k,Megane was 11k and Clio was 8k. They shifted a lot of stock that way. Horrible depressing cars though

Fluence was deffo €4500 off €20800 or €15800.
    Clio was 100% €8990, I remember that number!

You couldn’t actually get an €8990 at the time though as there were no 3 door red ones around.

Fluence was deffo €4500 off €20800 or €15800.
    Clio was 100% €8990, I remember that number!

You couldn’t actually get an €8990 at the time though as there were no 3 door red ones around.

Infairness 16K for a Fluence was good going plenty of people kept them for 5 plus years and they gave no trouble. Would of been a good buy really at that time really fuel efficient as well.

I bought my Leon FR in 2016 for 21,950 and I thought it was cheap at the time and at that it was a demo granted only 2k km on it. They were like 26,500 new at the time IIRC.

I remember having 6 month hire cars coming back costing us more than new cars.

The margin the distributors can throw at customers to gain market share is considerable.
    Amazingly customers will go back and pay way more for the same thing later.

Did you have to scrap a car back then to get them deals of Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Jaysus I remember the Fluence coming out and I thought it was only gorgeous! Don’t know what I was at

Yes. That made up €1250 of the discount in 2011.
    You could still get deals, but to get the really cheap ones you’d have to scrap. There were all sorts of creative ways to get around that too..

Nope

Oops
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65811224&postcount=1

Yes now that I think back my parents bought an Octavia in 2011 brand new granted was pre reg but with 0 km for 20k euro and that was the elegance spec with metallic paint and upgraded media system with sat nav. That was a truly great car I thought they spent nothing on it, cheap to run and really had the extras you would want it didn’t feel cheap. They traded it 6 years latter and got 13k for it on a trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I see the government has suspended the NCT , but the CVRT is out on the Range Rover and thus can't re-tax it which is out since yesterday, essential worker so no chance of leaving it at home, anything online saying they've stopped testing I can print out and bring with me incase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yes now that I think back my parents bought an Octavia in 2011 brand new granted was pre reg but with 0 km for 20k euro and that was the elegance spec with metallic paint and upgraded media system with sat nav. That was a truly great car I thought they spent nothing on it, cheap to run and really had the extras you would want it didn’t feel cheap. They traded it 6 years latter and got 13k for it on a trade in.

those times were marvellous, I got a brand new Isuzu d-max in 2010, every option in the book, leather, auto, illuminated cills, wood trim, sports grille etc... for 22k plus vat, sold the thing in 2015 with 110k miles on it for 15

I see the government has suspended the NCT , but the CVRT is out on the Range Rover and thus can't re-tax it which is out since yesterday, essential worker so no chance of leaving it at home, anything online saying they've stopped testing I can print out and bring with me incase.

Yes but it was the government that stopped CVRT and NCT testing surly the guards will know that without you having to bring proof. Not sure under the circumstances would they just let you tax it without a CVRT.

those times were marvellous,..........

Ignoring the high taxes, emmigration and high unemployment etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Fuel prices are quite low at the mo, compared to recent years, we're just not supposed to drive anywhere.

No doubt they'll be right back to normal as soon as we survive the apocalypse.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Thankfully thats all fixed now along with healthcare, sky high insurance, fuel prices, housing

Yes, there's no wonderful time but cheap new cars in recessionary times don't really rock loads of peoples boats to be fair.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Fuel prices are quite low at the mo, compared to recent years, we're just not supposed to drive anywhere.

No doubt they'll be right back to normal as soon as we survive the apocalypse.

Petrol was €1.15 ish in 2009 ....... prior to Covid 19 it was €1.40 ish ........ not a mad increase over 10 years to be realistic, all considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes but it was the government that stopped CVRT and NCT testing surly the guards will know that without you having to bring proof. Not sure under the circumstances would they just let you tax it without a CVRT.
    Its an automated system, you can't tax a commercial online without a CVRT on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Husband:
    My wife is missing.
    She went out yesterday and has not come home...

Sergeant at Police Station:
    What is her height?

Husband:
    Gee, I'm not sure. A little over five-feet tall.

Sergeant:
    Weight?

Husband:
    Don't know. Not slim, not really fat.

Sergeant:
    Colour of eyes?

Husband:
    Sort of brown I think. Never really noticed.

Sergeant:
    Colour of hair?

Husband:
    Changes a couple times a year.
    Maybe dark brown now.
    I can’t remember.

Sergeant:
    What was she wearing?

Husband:
    Could have been pants, or maybe a skirt or shorts. I don't know exactly.

Sergeant:
    What kind of car did she go in?

Husband:
    She went in my Audi

Sergeant:
    What kind of Audi was it?

Husband: (sobbing)
    Audi A6 Avant Black Edition,
    Ambient Lighting pack - A6, Front and outer rear heated seats, Valcona leather - Lunar silver + super sport seats, 3 spoke heated sports leather multifunction steering wheel with paddle shift, LED Matrix headlights with high beam assist, Pearlescent paint, Audi drive select, Audi parking system plus with front and rear sensors, Audible and visual fasten seat belt warning - front and rear, Cruise control, Driver's information system, MMI SD card Navigation, Mobile telephone preparation, PAS, Service interval indicator, 3 point seatbelts on all seats, ABS-EBD, ASR traction control, Curtain airbags, Driver and passenger airbags, Driver-front passenger side airbags, Electromechanical parking brake, Electronic stability control, Front passenger airbag deactivation, Hill hold assist, Tyre pressure monitoring system, Warning triangle and first aid kit, Anti theft alarm, Anti-theft wheel bolts, Immobiliser, Keyless Start, Remote central locking, Audi music interface, Auxiliary input socket, DAB digital radio module, MMI Radio plus with CD player and bluetooth interface, SD card slot, USB connection, 12V power in rear centre console, 4 way electric lumbar support, 4 zone climate control, Aluminium door sill trims, Black cloth headlining, Double cargo floor, Electric front seats + driver memory, Front centre armrest, Front head restraints, Front-rear floor mats, Height adjustable front seats, Isofix front passenger and rear seat preparation, Jack and tool kit, Load lashing points, Luggage compartment cover, Luggage rails, Perforated leather gearknob, Rear headrests, Split folding rear seat, Auto dimming rear view mirror, Automatic headlights + automatic windscreen wipers, Body coloured bumpers, Body coloured door mirrors and handles, Body coloured roof spoiler, Door sill trims with S line logo, Electric front-rear windows, Headlight washers, High gloss black door mirrors, High gloss black finish B pillar, High gloss black triangular aperture at rear door, LED daytime running lights, LED rear lights, Light sensor, Platinum grey front lip spoiler, Privacy glass (to rear of B post), Rain sensor, Rear wiper, Alcantara door trim, Piano black finish inlay, Space saver spare wheel, Black Styling pack - A6 Avant, Non smoking pack - A6, Diesel particulate filter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I'm a bit worried considering that's the exact spec of my Car...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Truckermal wrote: »
    I'm a bit worried considering that's the exact spec of my Car...:confused:

*X-Files Theme*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement