Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Scotty Kilmer....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I like Bob he's a sound lad also a member here so don't be slating him too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Truckermal wrote: »
    I like Bob he's a sound lad also a member here so don't be slating him too much!
    Honest constructive comments are not slating, if you're putting yourself in the public domain you should be prepared for much worse tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Scotty Kilmer....

The way he pronounces Celica makes me uncomfortable..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Speaking of YouTube people, I've had a bit of time the last few days, I think I've nearly clocked YouTube now, it's got me wondering though why so many people like Bob Flavin? He is shocking, I can't understand how manufacturers lend him cars.

I tried to find some good youtube channels on cars, but there is such amount of crap amd they are making a fortune of it.

I have to admit, that I do love VinWiki. They have so many different people who are petrolheads and they have a lot of good stories. Sometimes I just play Forza Horizon 4 on xbox and have Vinwiki on autoplay. Some cool stuff there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I tried to find some good youtube channels on cars, but there is such amount of crap amd they are making a fortune of it.

I have to admit, that I do love VinWiki. They have so many different people who are petrolheads and they have a lot of good stories. Sometimes I just play Forza Horizon 4 on xbox and have Vinwiki on autoplay. Some cool stuff there.

For me it’s
    VinWiki
    ROVR
    Project Binky
    Arthur Tussick
    Doug DeMuro
    Regular Car Reviews

I’ve gotten rid of Tavarish and Samcrac because it’s gotten so unrealistic and there comes a point where you wonder where the money is coming from.
    I’ve unsubscribe Mighty Car Mods too because as their budget went up it became less interesting. The product placement is annoying too (I fully understand when you get content for free you can’t not expect this)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, Matt Watson on CarWow is very good imo. Very watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Truckermal wrote: »

Bob was with us many years ago on a memorial run from Dublin to rosslare , in memory of another boards user who sadly passed away

But on that trip, a few of us stuck together including Bob and I have to say he's a very decent guy, we had good talks and good laughs on the journey

I wouldn't have anything bad to say about him

Also if you're reading, hi Bob ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Bob was at the motors meet that was organised last September, I spent quite a bit of time talking to him at that and found him to be very knowledgeable about cars and the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The way he pronounces Celica makes me uncomfortable..

My Toyota Sillika has over 250,000 miles still going strong. You can't beat Toyota or Honda for reliability, you just can't.

It's time for Scotty Kilmer.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Rev up your engines!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Listened to Bobs Mondeo Hybrid review again.

1) it's not perfect but I think calling it shameful is OTT.

2) I feel I got a reasonable feel for what a Mondeo Hybrid is.

Some key points I took away from the review.....

Bob likes the Mk 5 Mondeo as a wider product but sees it as falling short against Passat and Mazda 6*.

The hybrid side of the Mondeo falls down in two key areas - Bob sees the way Ford have packaged the Hybrid battery as ruining the practicality of the boot. He sees the Mondeo as a car that should be very practical and the Hybrid loses some of this.

The other issue is that Bob feels a Hybrid should do much better on fuel then he achieved from the Mondeo. His comparison with a Polo was a bit silly though - although he did accept the Mondeo is a much bigger car.

He feels in Hybrid he would prefer a car designed to be a hybrid on day 1 like the Prius.

Sounded a reasonably factual review to me.

Even if the delivery wasnt perfect.

Edit *ALL reviews over rate the Mazda as they don't look at diesel reliability

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I'l second Harry's Garage. Excellent presentation and likable guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Sinead Mcann on Cars Ireland does very good reviews for the Irish market.
    The problem is none of them can be overly critical or they won’t get access to the press fleet.
    I am sure Bob Flavin is a nice guy and he certainly comes across as so but his reviews can sometimes meander around and tell you little enough about the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I think the whole idea of having to not say anything bad about a car is a terrible thing. When that happens every car becomes "brilliant in its class".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think the whole idea of having to not say anything bad about a car is a terrible thing. When that happens every car becomes "brilliant in its class".

Agreed. I know he's in a different league to YouTubers but I think that's why so many people loved (and hated) Clarkson on Top Gear because he could so politely and eloquently say that a car was ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

New Supra looks good. But my god it's going to be like a scene from deliverance to tax it.

Also. - I don't particularly pay attention to youtubers because most of them are the exact ****ing same. Hyper-energetic introduction, gaudy smile, quick graphic, sponsor plug, subscriber plug, sponsor plug, content, sponsor plug, subscriber plug, next video plug.... hypernergetic departure.

Although the carthrottle stuff on the rotary has been interesting - I've an ignition kit from Rotary Revs and it's good. I've never heard of s spun rotor bearing before - it's the least stressed part of the engine. Looks more like it was rebuilt by a moron with no idea what they were doing, than failed on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Your mans stupid put-on accent in a Car Throttle does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Dartz wrote: »
    New Supra looks good. But my god it's going to be like a scene from deliverance to tax it.

Also. - I don't particularly pay attention to youtubers because most of them are the exact ****ing same. Hyper-energetic introduction, gaudy smile, quick graphic, sponsor plug, subscriber plug, sponsor plug, content, sponsor plug, subscriber plug, next video plug.... hypernergetic departure.

Although the carthrottle stuff on the rotary has been interesting - I've an ignition kit from Rotary Revs and it's good. I've never heard of s spun rotor bearing before - it's the least stressed part of the engine. Looks more like it was rebuilt by a moron with no idea what they were doing, than failed on its own.

It isnt that uncommon for then to spin a bearing but because it mostly happens on uncared for engines they often fail for other reasons before getting to the point of spinning the bearing itself.

But if rebuilt badly they can spin a bearing in seconds

I've heard of the stationary gears going alright - that's a known fault. When mine got torn down, it was down to the copper and had begun to seep oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

What's the highest mileage anyone has ever got out of an RX8 engine?????.

Old diesel wrote: »
    What's the highest mileage anyone has ever got out of an RX8 engine?????.

Mine was at 157k when it ate a sparkplug. It was otherwise healthy, if worn.

Ones in the US can and do go over 200k.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

In New Zealand at the minute, driving a long wheelbase Merc Sprinter van/caravan around the place. Big, heavy and slow as foook. But I've been lashing it around the country roads all the same. Covered 2000km in it so far, some difference from the 325!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

In New Zealand at the minute, driving a long wheelbase Merc Sprinter van/caravan around the place. Big, heavy and slow as foook. But I've been lashing it around the country roads all the same. Covered 2000km in it so far, some difference from the 325!

Judging by your IG you arrived just after I had left!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Is the engine in a Merc C200d 1.6 a renault engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Is the engine in a Merc C200d 1.6 a renault engine?

Yeah, the 1.5 and 1.6 engines are Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I knew the A class 1.5 were, wasn't too sure about the C class 1.6.
    Perfect, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Finally some good news regarding my 325, it's been off the road since before Christmas but at last it's finished and ready to be collected.

It's coming back with
    - two rear springs and four new Bilstein shocks
    - front top mounts
    - rear top mounts
    - front anti roll bar drop links
    - front nearside hub
    - genuine BMW rear window seals
    - M3 alloy billet steering coupler
    - rebuilt diff

I'm not in a position to collect it until Saturday but you could say I'm just a little excited:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Let me know how you find the new steering coupler after a few drives. It's one thing I've been considering changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Its a real shame more manufactures don't spend some resources developing them. They really do have very few moving parts. Maybe with Hydrogen fuels going forward we will see more use for them

Mazda were/are the only manufacturer to develop them. They have 3 moving parts - 2 rotors and 1 eccentric shaft, that's it!

IMO it has a LONG way to go before it becomes good consumption-wise, let alone reliable. Until then we won't see another car with it.

What gave it a total and utter kick in the stones was the sub-par starter motors they originally came with which caused all the flooding issues. I had awful trouble with mine until I fitted a new battery, ignition coils, RE7C-L leading plugs and a new, beefier starter motor. After that it was 100% perfect each and every time. I tested it quite a lot in situations where it would have flooded and not once did it even give the slightest sign of not starting hot and cold. It was like a normal engine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement