Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Interslice wrote: »
    About 4.7° here. Grand and crisp :P

Excellent turbo weather :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Interslice wrote: »
    About 4.7° here. Grand and crisp :P
    Excellent turbo weather :D

SBM* weather - Nature's supercharger. :cool:

*Small Blue Mickey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Does anyone know an insurer in Ireland that would possibly take NCB from Switzerland. I had 5 years NCB before leaving for Switzerland where its mandatory to change your license to Swiss one. I am trying to avoid having no NCB and not having my license recognised due to it not being EU even though I have 10 years claim/point free driving.

In the UK Aviva were accepting my license and NCB no problem, but Aviva dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does anyone know an insurer in Ireland that would possibly take NCB from Switzerland. I had 5 years NCB before leaving for Switzerland where its mandatory to change your license to Swiss one. I am trying to avoid having no NCB and not having my license recognised due to it not being EU even though I have 10 years claim/point free driving.

In the UK Aviva were accepting my license and NCB no problem, but Aviva dont.

Zurich has to be worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Zurich has to be worth a try!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Driving home on the M11 this evening, happy out. Chap in the right lane in an Eventless pottering along at 90kmh or so. I was in the left lane doing 120, nothing in my way. Kept steady prepared to undertake as there wasn't many other cars around and as soon as I was alongside the other car, Garda car shoots up behind him, lights and sirens, pulled him in.

D-lighted for them...

... and I got lucky, technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭M S E

Dates for car shows beginning to be advertised again:

6th/7th April Dubshed
    11th/12th May Midlands VW
    26th May Limerick Classic Car Show
    28th July VAGE Show and Shine

https://www.facebook.com/vage.eire/photos/a.287413704724085/1511917525607024/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

M S E wrote: »
    Dates for car shows beginning to be advertised again:

6th/7th April Dubshed
    11th/12th May Midlands VW
    26th May Limerick Classic Car Show
    28th July VAGE Show and Shine

https://www.facebook.com/vage.eire/photos/a.287413704724085/1511917525607024/?type=3&theater

VAG meets and owners forum is here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Had a bad day yesterday driving into work in the morning day 12 last day as I am off this weekend. Then absolutely made sh!t of a front alloy and scratched the side skirt as well. Rang Audi to price a new alloy that really didn’t help my mood when they quoted a cost (for the alloy) that a lot of people would consider a good weeks salary.

I reckon it’s too bad to try spray would just end up looking crap. So I’ll either try get a good secondhand one or just buy the new one. Not sure what I’ll do on the skirt yet. Ah well could of been way worse I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Unless you made a dogs dinner of the alloy it’ll be easily refurbished for less than a hundred quid.

No need to upgrade the whole car ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Dug out the old iron X and tar X from the garage today. After a normal wash, the white still really shows how much tar and grime doesn't get lifted, car is nearly yellow after a wash. Not sure if these two products are still regarded as the best fall out and tar removers but they work great.

This was taken after I washed the car....
    IMG-20190119-145141.jpg

IMG-20190119-145512.jpg

IMG-20190119-155836.jpg

IMG-20190119-155847.jpg

IMG-20190119-155906.jpg

OSI wrote: »
    And so begins CIP4s marathon of man maths :pac: I'll go with red for the new A4.

Well like it needs an alloy repaired or replaced and then the skirt sprayed thats a lot of work would be better to just cut my loses and move it on at this stage. This is a sign :pac: S3 you mean ;)
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    Unless you made a dogs dinner of the alloy it’ll be easily refurbished for less than a hundred quid.

No need to upgrade the whole car ;)

Handier from a time perspective to just try get a secondhand one as I don't have a 5th wheel to be able to drive around on for a week while the other is gone. AFAIK there is no one decent to do it in kilkenny either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

CIP4 wrote: »
    Well like it needs an alloy repaired or replaced and then the skirt sprayed thats a lot of work would be better to just cut my loses and move it on at this stage. This is a sign :pac: S3 you mean ;)

Handier from a time perspective to just try get a secondhand one as I don't have a 5th wheel to be able to drive around on for a week while the other is gone. AFAIK there is no one decent to do it in kilkenny either.

There's a good place in Carlow I believe, recommended by a bodyshop, which isn't too far. They might have a spare they can lend you.

I can get the details next week.

.....Rang Audi to price a new alloy that really didn’t help my mood when they quoted a cost (for the alloy) that a lot of people would consider a good weeks salary.

So less than a week's salary for you so is the subtle message :pac:

Augeo wrote: »
    So less than a week's salary for you so is the subtle message :pac:

Ah well I didn't intend it to sound like that not exactly something to brag about anyway that you can afford to buy one Audi Alloy with a weeks salary :pac:

I found a fairly decent looking genuine OE one secondhand in Germany for ok money so bought it that should do me plus I will have a spare now that I can keep as a spare or get refurbed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Ah well I didn't intend it to sound like that not exactly something to brag about anyway that you can afford to buy one Audi Alloy with a weeks salary :pac:

I found a fairly decent looking genuine OE one secondhand in Germany for ok money so bought it that should do me plus I will have a spare now that I can keep as a spare or get refurbed etc.

What website? I am looking for a particular oem Honda alloy and I can't find another one anywhere online.

job seeker wrote: »
    What website? I am looking for a particular oem Honda alloy and I can't find another one anywhere online.

eBay if you get the part number and just type that in you should get something. I bought one of it before for my B8 and it turned out to be in good condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

What happened on the M50 today that was big enough to close it in both directions?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Patww79 wrote: »
    What happened on the M50 today that was big enough to close it in both directions?

Girl on the bridge between junctions 12 & 13. Reopened now so looks like they got her down safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Girl on the bridge between junctions 12 & 13. Reopened now so looks like they got her down safe.

Ah. I was wondering why details were so sketchy initially. Makes sense, thanks.

• Advertisement

Just remembered have the A4 a year today. The joint record holders are still the Megane and Leon which both lasted 14 months so the A4 will surely beat that.

Got it cleaned yesterday and almost looks odd now clean as I had kind of got used to it looking dirty over last 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

I can't imagine changing a car every year.

Engines maybe.... but the car remains the same.

Dartz wrote: »

Yes I never plan it just works out that way would love to keep a car for 5 years as it would be far cheaper than constantly changing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

At last, my 325 is back on the road.

It was definitely worth the wait, it drives the way I imagine these cars drove when they were brand new - which is to say very well indeed.

With its new window seals and its type 188k diff rebuild kit, it's so much quieter than before (although there is a worn driver's door seal that needs to be addressed and then it will be properly quiet :o:rolleyes:).

The carrier bearings were the source of all my problems with the diff, there were some burn marks on them (don't ask me how) and this is why it was making strange noises under acceleration in 5th from about 60 to 80 or trying to hold 115-120 up a hill on the motorway, there was also a wheel bearing like sound for good measure above about 30 km/h. As you can imagine, the noises from the diff were really spoiling the way the car drove, especially at higher speeds when the diff was under load. Thankfully, it's all gone now. The rebuild kit includes pinion bearings (head and tail), a pinion bearing preload crush spacer (whatever that is), as well as the aforementioned carrier bearings.

The Bilstein shocks and suspension refresh have transformed the ride, no wonder Bilstein have such a good reputation, and it handles and steers a bit sweeter for good measure (although I'm sure the new steering coupler helps as well). It also got a new propshaft bearing so it's even smoother than it used to be under load.

Obviously none of this came cheap but it's worth it every cent:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

And just like that, that's the Avensis retired as my daily driver. 378k kms, having put up 57k kms since October 2017. A fairly anonymous bland car that's had one very interesting life with me, serving me well and beyond. From charging up snow infested hills to tramping across fields and towing cars, being regularly fully loaded with coal, building equipment and once s full set of floors for a house. Where did the time go!

In dire need of a battery, clutch and a bit of tidying up, I'll be putting it through it's NCT sometime soon enough. Confident it needs naff all work to pass the test again. It deserves a well earned rest :D

Onto bigger, hideously complex, floppier, cheese eating, beret wearing cars that cost buttons... Have addressed the limp gearbox, wherein I whacked in a replacement ecu I pulled out of thin air. Car now has a working lockup that didn't work before and changes gears far smoother, hopefully that was the problem all along. I do conveniently have a valve body to replace should the gearbox require it in future. There are a few other niggly little bits to address in due time too such as a maggoty drivers door rubber, mouldy seatbelts, change the mfd (it is the wrong screen and I can't set the time so it flashes constantly :p) and disable the tyre pressure monitors along with various other scuttery little bits I can't remember!

Vive la France, for now :cool: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Dartz wrote: »

That's a problem unique to RX8 owners

The new yoke passed the NCT at lunchtime there - good 'til April 2021. Yurt! :cool:

...Vive la France, for now :cool: :p

Le grande Roquefort, l'odeur des pieds de Dieu. Bien! Is it be any chance a large, flobbery old Citroën?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

jimgoose wrote: »
    Le grande Roquefort, l'odeur des pieds de Dieu. Bien! Is it be any chance a large, flobbery old Citroën?

I'd have loved a floppy Citroen! Alas, tis the next best thing, a floppy 607... Which if my various snippets of procrastinating serve me well, it's bui8lt on the 605 chassis, which in itself shares the platform with the XM... Roundabout Citroën?! :D

The smell of leather is intoxicating and rather alluring :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Browsing through aliexpress... Searching bonnet strut supports - will probably never understand what sort of artificial intelligence they use for "suggested items", because this one appeared:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32948722345.html

And I have to admit number 6 (scroll down for the list) made my day. :D

Think I'll buy one and install it just for the craic. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement