Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

whilst your in developer mode turn all the animations to 'off' - you will find you have a much more snappier phone ....

done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What covers, cases are people using. Bought a few of them, thus far not loving the ones I got. In particular they make the side buttons hard to press.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I'm pretty sure this happened around the time after my redmi note 5 updated to android PIE .

Now when I pull down the notification bar from the top of the screen all I get now is just the word 'facebook' and a profile pic of the person on the right hand side. No summary of the facebook message any more.

am pretty sure i haven't changed anything in the facebook settings or privacy settings and my tablet that runs on android Lollipop and works as it should, pull down the menu and you get notification with a summary of the notification.

any ideas?

484373.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I don't use facebook at all, so not sure if this is going to help, but assuming it is an issue with the app...

First, try going to settings -> Apps -> Facebook -> Force Stop + Clear Data.
    Go back to the app and login again.

If that doesn't work try this app (many people prefer it) - https://github.com/AllanWang/Frost-for-Facebook/releases
    Download this version and install it.

TVEcUD8.jpg

Suckit wrote: »
    I don't use facebook at all, so not sure if this is going to help, but assuming it is an issue with the app...

First, try going to settings -> Apps -> Facebook -> Force Stop + Clear Data.
    Go back to the app and login again.

If that doesn't work try this app (many people prefer it) - https://github.com/AllanWang/Frost-for-Facebook/releases
    Download this version and install it.

TVEcUD8.jpg

thanks I will give it a whirl ....

or should that be Suckit and see :D

• Advertisement

OK , so I cleared all data for facebook and that didnt work , so then I un-installed facebook totally from my RN5 and then re-installed from the play store. Still the problem there , no indication of what the facebook message is when I pull down the notification bar. Very strange. And I am almost sure it is because of the redmi note 5 update to Pie or an update to MIUI ... shame there isnt a rollback feature on the update so i can go back to previous version so I can be certain.

Would it be an adblocker? Do you have anything like that running?
    Why not try Frost?
    Many people seem to think it is better than the FB app, which wouldn't be that surprising as it would have all the crap removed and only keep what people use.

What is Frost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Will the 3 store bought phone work in America?

• Advertisement

wilser wrote: »
    Will the 3 store bought phone work in America?

no expert on it but I think US uses a different band or something.

We use GSM and I think they use CDMA in america I think it is , i read about it once.

Mind you saying that a lot of phones in the last 5-10 years must have multi-bands now and automatically switch surely?

Best to have a google on it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Can you slowly drag one notification to the right about 1/5 of the way across the screen? A settings cog should appear.

Maybe something changed the privacy settings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

no expert on it but I think US uses a different band or something.

We use GSM and I think they use CDMA in america I think it is , i read about it once.

Mind you saying that a lot of phones in the last 5-10 years must have multi-bands now and automatically switch surely?

Best to have a google on it ...

Probably will work albeit over 3g and not 4g.
    Again check bands for specs of the phone model you have and compare against the USA bands on their various networks.

Or get a Three UK prepaid card (check bargain alerts forum for more info)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

biebiebie wrote: »
    Probably will work albeit over 3g and not 4g.
    Again check bands for specs of the phone model you have and compare against the USA bands on their various networks.

Or get a Three UK prepaid card (check bargain alerts forum for more info)

Am with eir, they said to latch onto at&t. Google says that they use 850mhz.
    Loads of different variants of the redmi on gsmarena, can't find it on the 3 shop to see exactly which variant they sold

• Registered Users Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭corkie

wilser wrote: »
    Am with eir, they said to latch onto at&t. Google says that they use 850mhz.
    Loads of different variants of the redmi on gsmarena, can't find it on the 3 shop to see exactly which variant they sold

Global Version
    Network Bands
    FDD-LTE B1/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B20
    TD-LTE B38/B40
    WCDMA B1/B2/B5/B8
    GSM B2/B3/B5/B8

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/redminote5#wiki_connectivity
    https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_ai_dual_camera-9120.php

Edit: - [kimovil.com] Will Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 [Global] work in US ?

gsmarena can be a minefield with extra specific models info.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Is anyone itching to change from the RN5 yet?
    Or has anyone done so already?

Think I'll hang in till next year.
    Possibly go for something like Xiaomi Mi 10... rumoured to have forthcoming Snapdragon 856 with 5G, more ram and storage space, 4000/5000 mah battery, and new cameras. Also I've read it could be Xiaomi's first certified waterproof phone. Might even have that hidden front camera under the screen (my guess!)

Is anyone itching to change from the RN5 yet?
    Or has anyone done so already?

Think I'll hang in till next year.
    Possibly go for something like Xiaomi Mi 10... rumoured to have forthcoming Snapdragon 856 with 5G, more ram and storage space, 4000/5000 mah battery, and new cameras. Also I've read it could be Xiaomi's first certified waterproof phone. Might even have that hidden front camera under the screen (my guess!)

Happy with nearly everything with my RN5 .. only thing sometimes is a bit poor on macro pictures, I have used other phones that have got closer to the subject while still staying focussed. The wife's phone is a huawei (P20 I think) has a great macro.

A friend of mine was talking once of getting a Xiaomi pocophone - 250euro I think snapdragon 845 , 6gb ram 802.11ac and 4000mah battery 6.18" screen size

I'd say theres a lot of new owners of RN5 recently with 3 sale of them, then Argos selling them off cheap.

I've just swtiched my sim from a Moto G7 Power to the 4GB RN5.

Happy with nearly everything with my RN5 .. only thing sometimes is a bit poor on macro pictures...

The front selfie camera seems quite poor on the RN5. Everything is washed out and over bright. Both of the ones in our house do that. The rear camera seems decent in good light.

beauf wrote: »
    The front selfie camera seems quite poor on the RN5. Everything is washed out and over bright. Both of the ones in our house do that. The rear camera seems decent in good light.

Try downloading the 'Bacon Camera' app for your RN5 and see how you get on with it. for front camera you can adjust exposure and ISO and white balance .. even shutter as well I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I'm happy with mine my only gripe is the camera could be better. It's not awful but coming from a Samsung note 4 which is a old phone at this stage there is no comparison. So we find ourselves bringing that with us for pics the camera in it is outstanding

So when I do make a move from this phone it'll definitely be to one with a better camera even if I have to spend an extra few quid.

Samsung Note 4 might be old but it was top end phone. The camera has ois which makes a huge difference. With top end phones the camera is a large part of what you're paying for. Samsung generally make great cameras even on their lesser models.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am still on my Redmi Note 4 & as it's still running perfectly, I see no need to change it. Phones have reached the point where there are no new big features & less incentive to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

beauf wrote: »
    I'd say theres a lot of new owners of RN5 recently with 3 sale of them, then Argos selling them off cheap.

I've just swtiched my sim from a Moto G7 Power to the 4GB RN5.

I'm one of them. Got mine in Argos for €120 and switched from an iPhone. Think an iPhone upgrade would have been marginally better but couldn't justify the price. The RN5 was a fifth of the cost of a lower-end iPhone and the switch from iOS to Android hasn't been as traumatic as I thought it might be. I'd definitely recommend and my next phone will be a Xiaomi, assuming I get at least two years out of this one. Don't have issues with the camera by the way. Think it's better than the one on my iPhone 6 Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Selling one of these if anyone is interested. €85. Have used it for the guts of a year but there not a mark on it. Always had a case and protector on it. Original box and two cases included. Will post no problem!

488694.png

488695.png

I've been on 10.3.4.0 since last month :-)

In a serious note though, looking forward to the miui 11 release, possibly in a few months time.
    The ultimate stamina power mode (black and white similar to Samsung) will come in useful at some stage! (I believe it's already available in the xiaomi.eu weekly build, but I moved to stable last month)

I've been on 10.3.4.0 since last month :-)

cant find 10.3.4.0 global - can find china version but I dont fancy loading that onto my global redmi note 5 - shall wait/stick with the OTA's I think

Yes I'm using Xiaomi.eu ROM which is based in the China ROM so that's why.
    To be honest there probably isn't any difference to the naked eye i.e. under the hood fixes.

• Advertisement

From this week's xiaomi.eu weekly release...

"Next MIUI 10.5 9.8.29 will be last weekly MIUI 10.5... After that will start release weekly MIUI 11.."

So in 2 weeks time Xiaomi.eu will start rolling out MIUI 11 weekly (not stable).

Now I'm tempted to leave stable once more....!!

Anyhow a sure sign MIUI 11 is just around the proverbial corner.

Advertisement