Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Hi all I'm thinking of get rn5 to replace my rn4x is it a worth upgrading. Is there a big difference from the 3gb and 4gb . I don't really need the extra storage but if it's if the performance is alot better I'll go with the 4gb one. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭corkie

nigwerwig wrote: »
    Hi all I'm thinking of get rn5 to replace my rn4x is it a worth upgrading. Is there a big difference from the 3gb and 4gb . I don't really need the extra storage but if it's if the performance is alot better I'll go with the 4gb one. Thanks

For difference in price, it is worthwhile getting the extra storage and ram.

It is better to have it, and not actually use it, than to at some stage in the further regret not getting it.

As for extra ram, it depends on what kind of usage your going to put the phone under. Gaming or resource intensive apps will appreciate more ram.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

For multitasking you have more apps closing in the background with 3gb. So when you switch back to them they need to open up all over again.

I have a 3gb phone (Moto) which is very close to stock. Background apps are regularly closed when I switch back to them.

To me 4g makes more sense to avoid this situation. Although 4gb won't eliminate it completely, it'll be a better experience than the 3gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Going to pull the trigger on one today. Were is the best deal at the moment And witch screen protector to go for. I don't want to pay vat just and I read in the thread somewhere that you can prepay vat. Thanks for any help in advance

nigwerwig wrote: »
    Going to pull the trigger on one today. Were is the best deal at the moment And witch screen protector to go for. I don't want to pay vat just and I read in the thread somewhere that you can prepay vat. Thanks for any help in advance
    corkie wrote: »

Goldway: - 4/64gb Standard with case including €22.54 shipping ~~~ In Euro = €201.84

HonorBuy: - €195.49 + €22 Shipping ~~~ €217.49

^^^ With honorbuy possible €5 euro of with KIMOVIL Code, if still valid.

Prices may have altered since posting the above.

If you want the device within a week, honorbuy, but if you can wait for over a week Goldway (Pay for DHL shipping to avoid having to pay VAT).

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement

I bought a numbers of cheap cases and glass screen protectors from a website I'm not supposed to mention on boards.

Will post picks when I get them (haven't even received delivery of the phone yet!)

If anyone else has pics to share post them up! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

biebiebie wrote: »
    I bought a numbers of cheap cases and glass screen protectors from a website I'm not supposed to mention on boards.

Will post picks when I get them (haven't even received delivery of the phone yet!)

If anyone else has pics to share post them up! :-)

Gearbest? Sure they are have a sponsored forum on boards now https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1757

Yeah you said it.
    Got my nuckels smacked for mentioning one of those previously...maybe that was the other one?!

Anyhow prices and selection there quite good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Is there anyone around Dublin city centre who is ordering from honorbuy and could pick me up a couple of screen protectors? the one i had cracked!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Anyone know how to access notification history on miui ?

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Anyone know how to access notification history on miui ?

Does the notification log widget work on MIUI?

https://www.howtogeek.com/242073/how-to-view-notifications-youve-dismissed-on-android/

It's supposed to but when I try it notification history isn't one of the options even though I have dev options enabled

It's supposed to but when I try it notification history isn't one of the options even though I have dev options enabled

Add a settings widget to your home-screen (maybe dependent on Launcher in use).
    Select Notification Log and not notifications itself.

Developer Options should not matter to the widget.

Add a settings widget to your home-screen (maybe dependent on Launcher in use).
    Select Notification Log and not notifications itself.

Developer Options should not matter to the widget.

All works fine but there is not notification log option

All works fine but there is not notification log option
    Does the notification log widget work on MIUI?

Answers my question, not available with MIUI.

Maybe you could install some app that would show them?
    https://play.google.com/store/search?q=notification%20log&c=apps

Answers my question, not available with MIUI.

Maybe you could install some app that would show them?
    https://play.google.com/store/search?q=notification%20log&c=apps

Strange as there are posts in the miui forums showing it working

Strange as there are posts in the miui forums showing it working

http://en.miui.com/thread-1010276-1-1.html

Maybe reboot your phone after enabling Developer Options.

Strange that Xiaomi removed it in Oreo, maybe there is some alternative method to access it.

Try: - http://en.miui.com/thread-2941600-1-1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Having occasional problem of missing audio on WhatsApp /YouTube, went into settings but can't see an answer. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Easy part done thanks to Honorbuy

Now have to face into setting the thing up. No experience of MIUI. Have some experience with Gingerbread era:) Android .

Would love some suggestions for tutorials on MIUI & recent Android.

Also, can the Reddit debloat thread be trusted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Probably been covered already but what do I need for (as quick as possible) quick charging?
    I have a quick charger cable (usb c) and wall charger (no idea if the quick charging lies with the cable or the charger or both).

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Advertisement

@dinneenp WHYRED Does NOT have USB Type C port. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭dinneenp

@dinneenp WHYRED Does NOT have USB Type C port. :(

Thanks. I know that, was just saying that I have a quick charger already so maybe just connecting the existing/default cable might work.

It seems pretty quick so far, unboxed, was at 44%, now at 84, probably 30 mins or so later.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Thanks. I know that, was just saying that I have a quick charger already so maybe just connecting the existing/default cable might work.

It seems pretty quick so far, unboxed, was at 44%, now at 84, probably 30 mins or so later.

Be Careful with that you use a recommend voltage charger with the device.

Although the device supports fast charges, I'm unsure which exactly.
    https://c.mi.com/thread-800802-1-0.html
    http://www.nirmaltv.com/2018/02/20/xiaomi-redmi-note-5-pro-fast-charging-quick-charging/

The device should fully charge in 3 Hours on a standard charger and Battery should get at least 36 Hours of Moderate to heavy use.

0lddog wrote: »

Also, can the Reddit debloat thread be trusted ?

Think I answered most questions about debloating here.

Have not seen any complaints about using the debloater tool provided on reddit.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/roms/debloat

And the tool was created by the main moderator of that sub reddit.

Be Careful with that you use a recommend voltage charger with the device.

Although the device supports fast charges, I'm unsure which exactly.
    https://c.mi.com/thread-800802-1-0.html
    http://www.nirmaltv.com/2018/02/20/xiaomi-redmi-note-5-pro-fast-charging-quick-charging/

The device should fully charge in 3 Hours on a standard charger and Battery should get at least 36 Hours of Moderate to heavy use.

That's interesting.
    I have a few QC 3 chargers and a QC 2 charger.
    Will conduct my own tests over the next week or so (phone in UK!).

BTW the QC 3 chargers are backwards compatible with QC 2

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Hi folks,
    Just got a Redmi note 5 a few days ago & still tinkering with it.
    I am having some connectivity issues with my car ( 181 Civic).
    It will connect via Bluetooth but when I connect via usb it only charges. Car has a specific port for smartphones but it does not recognise the phone as such. I have tried various cables inc. the original but nothing works.
    My previous phone Huawei p10 would only work with its original cable.
    Not sure if it's the car or something not enabled on the phone.
    Appreciate any advice.

@bodonnell Check developer options, for "Disable USB audio routing"

And that it is not active.

^^^ Not on MIUI, so unsure if you will find that option.

Edit you may need to also use "Select USB Configuration" when device is attached to your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

Phone coming this afternoon. Will it work straight out of the box or do i need to do anything with it?

robie5 wrote: »
    Phone coming this afternoon. Will it work straight out of the box or do i need to do anything with it?
    You need to switch it on. That's it :-)

Got mine also.
    Charged to 100% first.
    Will debloat and configure it later once I'm on WiFi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

Thanks. Debloating is just getting rid of apps you dont need right? Not necessary

Advertisement