Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• 17-11-2017 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like a few of us have recently bought these & to save clogging the Chinese Thread, let's discuss it here :)

I love the battery life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭dedaw

What's the verdict on the camera? Is miui much different from stock android?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

How much of an improvement is it over the redmi note 3? I have that and love it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

dedaw wrote: »
    What's the verdict on the camera? Is miui much different from stock android?

I haven't used the camera yet. I came from a Nexus (pure android). I downloaded adw launcher. Where there are differences, that can cause problems, are the different settings. Some of my apps weren't working properly until I made some changes like enabling autostart, permissions & turning power saving off. Now it seem to be fine & amazing for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Anyone recommend a decent case?

Looking at something like this (I fear broken screens)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-AICEK-Degree-Transparent-Silicone/dp/B074T78LLN

Would like something like the following one (for a Samsung) but can't find similar armoured type case

https://www.i-blason.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4-armorbox-dual-layer-full-protective-case-2447.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a decent case?

Looking at something like this (I fear broken screens)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-AICEK-Degree-Transparent-Silicone/dp/B074T78LLN

Would like something like the following one (for a Samsung) but can't find similar armoured type case

https://www.i-blason.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4-armorbox-dual-layer-full-protective-case-2447.html

the top 1 is crap .

i had similar and the dots mentioned are very annoying, very bad in daylight ,

might not be an issue to you but i (being a farmer) found dirt and dust got under the covers very easy

I got a tempered glass and back case from gearbest, took 6 weeks to arrive but like chalk and cheese to the top 1 mentioned

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    I got a tempered glass and back case from gearbest, took 6 weeks to arrive but like chalk and cheese to the top 1 mentioned

Any chance of a link? Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Could do with a case myself. Its only a matter of time!

Had that case myself. Binned it. Piece of annoying junk

Autochange wrote: »
    Could do with a case myself. Its only a matter of time!

I've smashed far too many phone screens

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

Great phone. Battery life great. Last whole weekend for me. Camera ok, good in good lighting, crap in anything other than ideal light. Had a few shut down randomly issues, but had that with my S5 and most other phones I have had. Just clear cache usually does the trick. Will never spend more than 200 for a phone again or go back into 24 month contracts. Got wife one as well for 150 queens head. Generic flip top case from Amazon. Cheap n cheerful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paddy_murphy

I bought Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X. Best phone ever, specially for the price!

eoinzy2000 wrote: »
    Great phone. Battery life great. Last whole weekend for me. Camera ok, good in good lighting, crap in anything other than ideal light. Had a few shut down randomly issues, but had that with my S5 and most other phones I have had. Just clear cache usually does the trick. Will never spend more than 200 for a phone again or go back into 24 month contracts. Got wife one as well for 150 queens head. Generic flip top case from Amazon. Cheap n cheerful.

Paying 1k euro plus for a phone is madness

I have this case & it's good. But it's a shame that Spigen don't make cases for this phone as the edge of the screen is vulnerable. The "rugged" cases make the phone too big.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOONCASE-Note-Anti-Scratch-Xiaomi-Redmi-Black/dp/B01MCRV4EN/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1511082587&sr=8-4&keywords=redmi+note+4+case

I am using this screen protector & it's ok. There is a liquid bubble in the centre but you can't see it unless the screen is off & at a certain angle.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382231573736?_trksid=p2380057.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI382231573736.N36.S1.R1.TR2

Is Geek Buying the best option (assuming you want a short delivery time) for this phone at the minute (sister wants one after I showed her mine). $204.74 including DHL from Italy (so I assume no customs)

Is Geek Buying the best option (assuming you want a short delivery time) for this phone at the minute (sister wants one after I showed her mine). $204.74 including DHL from Italy (so I assume no customs)

I used them & I was very pleased. Only 24 hours shipping & even better only €4 extra. Make sure that you get the Global version.

This case looks good for those needing a lot of protection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcxCLNU0AvU

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jaycornyn

Would it be worth waiting for black Friday before purchasing this phone?

Jaycornyn wrote: »
    Would it be worth waiting for black Friday before purchasing this phone?

Who knows ? It depends when you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jaycornyn

Christmas present. Was looking at thesolutionshop unless it's on a good offer elsewhere. No harm in waiting.

Any other thoughts on the camera. I not a snap happy person but if it's poor I might have a look at other phones.

Jaycornyn wrote: »
    Christmas present. Was looking at thesolutionshop unless it's on a good offer elsewhere. No harm in waiting.

Any other thoughts on the camera. I not a snap happy person but if it's poor I might have a look at other phones.

Geekbuying Italy was cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Was it ever officially updated to Android 7?
    I mean like when you start it up does it automatically update to Android 7?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Looking recommendations for the following:
    A good screen protector?
    Worthwhile customisations?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Could someone maybe post a link to correct version to get it shipped from italy? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Got this case:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Armor-Case-for-Xiaomi-Redmi-note-4-note-4-pro-case-with-Stand-Hard-Rugged-Impact/1502775_32757051497.html?spm=14c0ed0am4UJqO&aff_platform=aaf&cpt=1511173556741&sk=6mia6uv&aff_trace_key=4bd7c45765684d39af0cbfd4e59c1473-1511173556741-06831-6mia6uv&terminal_id=da300f3a43a3431aa02da187883b9ba5

Nothing wrong with it for 2.5 Euro. Helped the phone to survive the occasional toddler tantrums.
    Overall great phone and a lot of phone for little money. Camera is meh, that's why for my next phone (when this one dies) I will invest more in a better camera but stick with Xiaomi.
    Also got the latest MIUI now, and Xiaomi seems committed for a long support for their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Raoul

Discodog wrote: »
    I have this case & it's good. But it's a shame that Spigen don't make cases for this phone as the edge of the screen is vulnerable. The "rugged" cases make the phone too big.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOONCASE-Note-Anti-Scratch-Xiaomi-Redmi-Black/dp/B01MCRV4EN/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1511082587&sr=8-4&keywords=redmi+note+4+case

I am using this screen protector & it's ok. There is a liquid bubble in the centre but you can't see it unless the screen is off & at a certain angle.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382231573736?_trksid=p2380057.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI382231573736.N36.S1.R1.TR2

I have the same case as the first one here. Seems quite good so far.

Anyone started messing around with the ROMs? Couple of things I miss when I am not rooted:
    not having ads (adaway is soo good)
    being able to long press the volume buttons to change songs or skip ahead 30 seconds in a podcast when the screen is off.
    Using Tasker to control various things.

I do like MIUI though with the NOVA launcher.

gmisk wrote: »
    Could someone maybe post a link to correct version to get it shipped from italy? Thanks

https://www.geekbuying.com/search?keyword=xiaomi&c=1872

Check that its right as I am using a phone

Raoul wrote: »
    I have the same case as the first one here. Seems quite good so far.

Anyone started messing around with the ROMs? Couple of things I miss when I am not rooted:
    not having ads (adaway is soo good)
    being able to long press the volume buttons to change songs or skip ahead 30 seconds in a podcast when the screen is off.
    Using Tasker to control various things.

I do like MIUI though with the NOVA launcher.

Adguard works

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Raoul

Adguard only works in the browser though. Adaway gets rid of ads in apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭corkie

Harika wrote: »

Also got the latest MIUI now, and Xiaomi seems committed for a long support for their phones.

Sorry to burst your bubble!

Although xiaomi are good at providing MIUI rom updates (with security patches etc).

The Redmi series of phones only get one android version upgrade.

As the RN4 was release with Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), and has been upgraded to Nougat! Chance of it getting an Oreo upgrade are slim to none.

The RN3 got an update to MIUI 9 (Marshmallow Based) and won't officially get the Nougat version.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You in Politics

• Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps
    • Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Discodog wrote: »
    https://www.geekbuying.com/search?keyword=xiaomi&c=1872

Check that its right as I am using a phone

nope, I don't think so. I'd like to order one for myself but I'm not sure which one to pick :mad: what about DE or ES (germany, spain?) warehouses? Does it have to be Italy?

GIvTfULaSq2oOSHZO3vKWn1nu2Z4wI0poZNyStcbQRG7HJAZylGNtr6QwyccqCeYZmnBPkOlWE_YmFmwFZ3o2ZuKmJcPY7hqbi13trVKmfDu3A3YEBpxM1heF6aIymOThgP_Xf-Atb72aTW67kO6I3M2wf40aqNnp9_tT_XIPN7QPx27Y89IztsB0pnLNL2wypQzaJg2AUPh2ix7mmUCm_oaE71R4BTtHGZKMg7PbcupAhMtQGgiTee82B2UJMPLGgfHzUCqgAXkVSGdhGaf01PBIXkQt4FUYrRz4FAX1fW0J3lZOrO543FwNza4zP8DKULcb7n8ZxOJEjOJDBnL1g9wJNGHS1co4lY2W2DaU6NbHTWNLikohYZl89z-WI2rLiAtlCJolREGPioVb7cXjwRwVahVuiuNvGjnJvbl0dOqRoKhLYQ3og7BXycnVR-FeJwQXTVD2VK0WsahBFhRWQOjO6RU9pHLtDSjCk0ljDuK8dB60SnBJAaDTa1mP33Mc4GJW70Az3Z_CdOcXmbp-MR_YG4nP4G-gIY2AcyorGmF5j_RF223lvQus75gwF4K1sfnQSnChEzFJYxDnTHzPdYsyf5mvGXldun7Ui_a=w1015-h394-no

• Advertisement

j@utis wrote: »
    nope, I don't think so. I'd like to order one for myself but I'm not sure which one to pick :mad: what about DE or ES (germany, spain?) warehouses? Does it have to be Italy?

GIvTfULaSq2oOSHZO3vKWn1nu2Z4wI0poZNyStcbQRG7HJAZylGNtr6QwyccqCeYZmnBPkOlWE_YmFmwFZ3o2ZuKmJcPY7hqbi13trVKmfDu3A3YEBpxM1heF6aIymOThgP_Xf-Atb72aTW67kO6I3M2wf40aqNnp9_tT_XIPN7QPx27Y89IztsB0pnLNL2wypQzaJg2AUPh2ix7mmUCm_oaE71R4BTtHGZKMg7PbcupAhMtQGgiTee82B2UJMPLGgfHzUCqgAXkVSGdhGaf01PBIXkQt4FUYrRz4FAX1fW0J3lZOrO543FwNza4zP8DKULcb7n8ZxOJEjOJDBnL1g9wJNGHS1co4lY2W2DaU6NbHTWNLikohYZl89z-WI2rLiAtlCJolREGPioVb7cXjwRwVahVuiuNvGjnJvbl0dOqRoKhLYQ3og7BXycnVR-FeJwQXTVD2VK0WsahBFhRWQOjO6RU9pHLtDSjCk0ljDuK8dB60SnBJAaDTa1mP33Mc4GJW70Az3Z_CdOcXmbp-MR_YG4nP4G-gIY2AcyorGmF5j_RF223lvQus75gwF4K1sfnQSnChEzFJYxDnTHzPdYsyf5mvGXldun7Ui_a=w1015-h394-no

Looks like the right phone but you are aware it's gold coloured? The one on the bottom far right is grey and from Italy. It doesn't matter where it's coming from as long as it's in Europe, Global version and you have the colour you want. Plus go for the 4gb 64gb version which is the one you have picked. Do you want Grey or Gold?

Advertisement