Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nheav

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this one......

I had a Nest Hello installed by an electrician last August/September and has worked perfectly up until recently.

My Wife heard a high pitched noise from the hall way (where the chime box is) and then from that evening we had lost all power to the unit (no video etc) and the bell didn't ring internally or on our phones. It was completely dead.

I got the multimeter out and it turned out there was no power coming out of the transformer, so it appeared that was the issue. Today I replaced the transformer and now the unit itself is working (we have video, sound and ringing of the bell coming through to my phone) but have no chime in the hallway.

I don't know much about the Chime box, but from looking at it while ringing the bell it appears that nothing at all is even trying to happen.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience/ideas around this? Would the chime be gone too? Or might it need resetting or something?

There seems to be 4 terminals within the chime box so I'm not sure where I should even be seeing power on the meter?

Here's a picture of the chime box if it's of any help to anyone!!

Any help/ideas much appreciated.

Regards,

N

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have a three pin plug power supply suitable for a ring doorbwll if any use to anyone.

Bought it for my eufy but I didn't realise my cheaper 1080 version doesn't have connections for a power supply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Transformer has three settings, it depends on which one is being used. I have the same traffo and it was setup as standard to be either 8 or 12V I cant remember and it sort of worked, the ringer wasnt working and kept giving me a low power warning. I then set it up as 24V and that worked.

If the bell was working for a few years though I would suggest it had been fine its more likely something like a corroded wire from water ingress or similar? Its intermittently making connection and sometimes not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sounds like a dodgy cable to me as well, check the connections to see if there's corrosion on the connections at the back for the Nest maybe. If you want to discount the nest you could take it and plug it directly to a USB charger for a while but that would mean that you didn't have a doorbell for a while. I had a problem with my Hello and I got onto Google over their online chat, they were excellent and sent me on a replacement in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Liviu_kit

Any tips on how to install Google nest with Garo BIM85 ? I am trying to install it but the chime has too many wires. I have no clue. Thank you !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

Have a nest hello that's gone dead and won't power on..Google are saying only one year warranty?

Is that right?

Telling me I have to buy a new one.

Thanks

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

For any weary travellers that wandered yonder.

My nest doorbell would only light yellow and then disconnect. Turns out my Bell transformer was 12V but only 4VA. Upgrading to 8VA sorted it.

Inside chime still not ringing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭micks_address

in the end google replaced it free of charge due to the 'weathering' on the bell -plastic pealing..

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ive been having nothing but trouble for 6 months, basically doorbell would never work reliably, would say it has power but not ring and not complete setup. Original electrician useless on it, finally got around to it myself and after replacing the hello, then the transformer, tried disconnecting the chime altogether and working fine again. Google since shows a lot of similar problems and a lot of electricians refusing to install normal chimes with them, should have known we had an issue as originally why you rang the hello it was tripping then nearest breaker, electrician ‘fixed’ that by moving them apart with a edge of plastic, obviously it was some issue around the chime

going to stick to no chime and rely on the somewhat erratic google mini/hubs alerts. Still very annoying they don’t have a specific chime or a way to selectively alert different speakers but just happy to have it working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Hello All, My Next wired doorbell is connected up to my existing doorbell wiring. Its wired up to 12V from the traffo. I'm having major connecgion issues. I think it might be because i may need to upgrade the transformer to 24V ? Can someone link a suitable one online please? Most of the time when i try to connect to see live video from my phone it takes 3 or 4 trys before it actually connects. I don't have a chime just a simple transformer outputting to to the doorbell and i'm using my google home displays to notify me , which currently is very inconsistent. thanks

• Advertisement

You need 24V unit, I think they work down to 18V or so but not 12V. If you don’t have another output for 24V on your current one, then something like this will work:

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/garo-8-12-24v-8va-bell-transformer/716HK?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtaOtBhCwARIsAN_x-3KFvDIGj26SZKUKlNyim2x119Hx46LrSUAh1qisTtICfu1Y3KvED3MaAoMxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Traffo installed and have it fed off 24v ... have to say its been rock solid. No disconnects at all now in live video. :) happy out

Advertisement