Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Stephen Hawking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Fourier wrote: »
    Hawking was more intelligent than the public conception of him. He advanced General Relativity and Quantum Field Theory by decades. I can demonstrate this if you wish.

/r/iamverysmart

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

people parrot that crap because they are TOLD HE IS. That intense repetition of this over the decades does sink in. Countless better scientists than him
    Greatest mind ever?. Not even close.
    And is parroting the reverse because it's "against the mainstream" any better?

His work is not twaddle.

Singularity theorems
    Black Hole Thermodynamics
    Information Problem
    Gravitational Statistical Mechanics

All of these have had a major effect on theoretical physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

/r/iamverysmart

Even smarter from a user named Fourier.

/iamsosmrt

/r/iamverysmart
    :rolleyes:
    Yes everybody who knows a subject is boasting, very clever.

I mean I can talk him through what he did. But then sharing knowledge is probably boasting too.

I wonder what is acceptable to know, send me the list.

So is any date.

The 11th April 1954 is only interesting because nothing of interest happened on that day.

• Advertisement

Even smarter from a user named Fourier.

/iamsosmrt
    Wow seriously, can people not just know a subject. What's "smart" about it? Think about it, there have to be some people who know a subject. Does this mean they're automatically show offs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Hawking was more intelligent than the public conception of him. He advanced General Relativity and Quantum Field Theory by decades. I can demonstrate this if you wish.
    no need, i dont dispute that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Wow seriously, can people not just know a subject. What's "smart" about it? Think about it, there have to be some people who a subject. Does this mean they're automatically show offs?

Take it easy, I'm taking the piss.

I've also a similar background to you (I'm guessing) as do a few others on here, but lets be honest, some of this shìte can be really really boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Very sad to hear this, a brilliant man. As has been said previously he was a inspiration to all. He didn't just walk, he ran through his war with disability and shone brightly for all to see. He educated us in many, many ways and lived for just over three quarters of a century which is incredible for someone with his disabilities, but he just kept beating expectations.

RIP Stephen.

I mean I can talk him through what he did. But then sharing knowledge is probably boasting too.

Ah, ****ing relax. I popped in to read the thread, yours was the first post I saw, and reading it from a cold open, without context, it came across that way.

RIP Stephen, good ole brain on ye, thanks for using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

maxresdefault.jpg

"Hello. My name is Stephen Hawking. Physicist, cosmologist and something of a dreamer. Although I cannot move and I have to speak through a computer, in my mind I am free"

RIP ya legend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

people believe a son is his own father, and his mother is a virgin, and those people eat his flesh every sunday

I'm always surprised with people who want to poo poo Christianity literally know nothing about it.

A. In Christianity God is a trinity, father son and spirit. The 'son' of God Christ is God in the flesh. But this flesh(son) is not his own father,
    Bible is clear on this.
    Think of it like 3 flames, Father son and Holy Spirit, put the flames together, you get one.

B. No Christian churches symbolically eat's Christs flesh on Sundays. You are thinking of Roman Catholicism. Different thing.

Frankly I'm amazed people on this forum often don't know the difference between Christianity and Roman Catholicism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I'm always surprised with people who want to poo poo Christianity.

but im not, its not directed at you, youre Christian and feel your beliefs are threatened by my words?

it was directed at peoples lack of logical thinking, do you dispute my claim of what some people believe? you shifted the goal posts by adding various sects, but i did not even mention Catholicism or Christianity, just what some people believe

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Uranium

Not usaully affected by celbrity deaths but quite shocked by Stephen`s death

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

This sh*t's got to be Stephen-f*cking Hawkings.....Hawkins.....which is it?

If you know then you know.

Don't mind that nonsense. I found your posts on the 'I Bet You Didn't Know That' thread very interesting. Some people like learning new things, others can't be bothered. It's their problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭muckbrien

is theoretical physics dumbing down?

I remember a picture from 1930 of a conference with Einstein, Schrodinger, Heisenberg and many more. None to rival them now.

RIP mr Hawkings

I read a good bit about the amazing Dirac

I'm guessing he wasn't near as smart as Dirac or made a comparable contribution to physics,not that I'm a physicist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

He got away with a lot of old twaddle, greatest minds etc, people parrot that crap because they are TOLD HE IS. That intense repetition of this over the decades does sink in. Countless better scientists than him
    Greatest mind ever?. Not even close. Anyway how would you define "Greatest mind?" so subjective.

I don't think so. Each to their own.

Good luck Stephen, you codded them all for a long time. R.I.P. ;)

He fooled all the great physicists but not you, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

muckbrien wrote: »

I'm guessing he wasn't near as smart as Dirac or made a comparable contribution to physics,not that I'm a physicist.

Fourier, who seems to know his stuff, rates hawkings very highly. Enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I'm always surprised with people who want to poo poo Christianity literally know nothing about it.

A. In Christianity God is a trinity, father son and spirit. The 'son' of God Christ is God in the flesh. But this flesh(son) is not his own father,
    Bible is clear on this.
    Think of it like 3 flames, Father son and Holy Spirit, put the flames together, you get one.

B. No Christian churches symbolically eat's Christs flesh on Sundays. You are thinking of Roman Catholicism. Different thing.

Frankly I'm amazed people on this forum often don't know the difference between Christianity and Roman Catholicism.

No one cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

joey1111 wrote: »
    Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I never followed the man and only know of him from articles in the news over the years and noticing his physical disability.

Did he ever come up with any solutions that have been proven and carried out and if so what are they?

I'm looking for laymans terms not an equation. thanks.

The oul physics is rusty but from what I remember he proposed Hawking radiation as an explanation of why particles were seemingly able to escape an inescapable black hole.

Basically energy would be converted into a particle-antiparticle pair out of empty space close to the Schwartzschild radius (energy and matter being equivalent and the particle-antiparticle cancelling out each other to preserve the various symmetries and conservation numbers). If one got sucked across the event horizon and the other escaped, it would appear that particles were coming out of the Black hole - which as you all know, is impossible. This mechanism would allow Black holes to essentially appear to "evaporate"

Oh, and I think he invented the TV show robot wars

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

the greatest mind of my generation.

an inspiration to millions, if not billions

RIP

muckbrien wrote: »

I wouldn't think he'd be in the same category as Dirac

Someone else asked about more contemporary physicists who were "better". I'd have to go with someone like Feynman as being far ahead of Hawkings.

Not to say he wasn't talented, but he wasn't quite on the same level as those fellas. Although he was spasitcated. When you allow for that he probably outperformed all the above. But on an absolute scale, not really.

people believe a son is his own father, and his mother is a virgin, and those people eat his flesh every sunday

But I'm my own grandpa. What say you about that Kimosabe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Documentary on Hawking on Channel 4 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

I've had "a brief history of time" of time for ages but I just picked it off the shelf and started reading it yesterday. Then I heard he had died. Mad. I've always admired him for his sense of humour. I do have sense of wonder so I hope I will gain from reading his book (though I hear it is not an easy read). R.I.P. feels wrong somehow, there can be no peace when so many questions are unanswered.

"My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

One of the most remarkable human beings in the entire history of our race. His work and legacy alone was amazing, but considering that most of that was done despite his condition... It's nothing short of superhuman. The world seems a little less bright without him. RIP Stephen.

Everything he achieved, as a fully able bodied person it makes me feel extremely guilty and ashamed. I've done a lot less with my life than I had the potential to actually do. And yet despite his motor neurone disease, look at his contribution to the world. Again, superhuman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I can demonstrate this if you wish.

Through the medium of interpretive dance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

People with mega minds & intelligence make themselves complete legends. Stephen Hawking was one of those people who gave us theories that were both fascinating & enduring to learn about the purpose of relativity & the making our own cosmos. R.I.P. Stephen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Documentary on Hawking on Channel 4 now.

Watched that earlier.....what an incredible human being he was, R.I.P Stephen.

Advertisement