Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Stephen Hawking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Here is a man who was dealt a horrible hand at life. Despite that, he refused to let it control him and made the absolute most of his life. As someone with a disability, he inspired me. As a nerd, his writings intrigued me.

A brilliant mind who lasted longer than anyone could have imagined. A great loss. Rest well.

Can't top that.

Nice tribute

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Duncan Thickett's take on things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p_w0D4ByKg

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Ironic thing is that if he died at the time suggested by his prognosis nobody would know his name, he wouldn't even be a footnote in history - merely a researcher who may have shown promise.

It is sad that he has died; a pity that he couldn't have lasted another 20 years or more, but he was a man who was profoundly successful by anybody's measure, who lived to see the fruits of much of his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Didn't he also come out with a lot of bat**** crazy stuff over the years, esp towards the end.

E.g.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2017/11/07/stephen-hawking-earth-could-become-ball-fire-within-600-years/839698001/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2017/06/21/stephen-hawking-earth-peril-its-time-get-out-dodge/415152001/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5463503/Professor-Stephen-Hawking-explains-happened-Big-Bang.html

Although it must be stated - that doesn't separate him as such from fine company. Didn't your man Newton spend a huge amount of time looking at alchemy and codes hidden in the bible etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

The fact is he really wasn't a great intellectual unless you are a fan of Have I Got News for You or the "Stephen Fry is a genius" type.

Mainly he spouted globalization cliches and some of his comments were Flat Earther level retarded. Like the one about space aliens coming to atrack us of we did not stop global warming.

The superficial grief tourism this morning is rather nauseating. You never gave a toss about him yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

is theoretical physics dumbing down?

I remember a picture from 1930 of a conference with Einstein, Schrodinger, Heisenberg and many more. None to rival them now.

RIP mr Hawkings
    Many people today are as good or better than Heisenberg or Schrodinger. Einstein though there are none. Not dumbing down, just very rare for a person of that intelligence to be born.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ironwalk

Here is a man who was dealt a horrible hand at life. Despite that, he refused to let it control him and made the absolute most of his life. As someone with a disability, he inspired me. As a nerd, his writings intrigued me.

A brilliant mind who lasted longer than anyone could have imagined. A great loss. Rest well.

Ah, very well said.
    RIP

The fact is he really wasn't a great intellectual unless you are a fan of Have I Got News for You or the "Stephen Fry is a genius" type.
    In his black hole radiation papers he was the first person to combine general relativity and quantum field theory. Not only that but he got specific predictions from it.

If that doesn't make somebody a great intellectual, you have a pretty high bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,575 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Such a sad loss. Such a brilliant man with a brilliant mind and a great sense of humour too despite the horrible hand he had been dealt in life. He could always see the funny side in things and always loved to be funny and laugh. He should be an inspiration to us all and his death is a great loss to humanity and everyone who looked up to or was inspired by him.

R.I.P Stephen Hawking. You are a part of the Universe that you loved now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Rest in peace. A real treasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Inspirational man to anyone suffering a long term illness. What a fighter. Sadly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

For anyone having difficulty understanding his theories, he sang a song in 2014 that explained them in simpler terms...

It was a cover of the Monty Python 'Galaxy Song' and Hawking released it as a single in 2015 to mark International Record Store Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

One of the all-time superstars. Sayonara, Professor. :cool:

topper75 wrote: »
    Didn't he also come out with a lot of bat**** crazy stuff over the years, esp towards the end.

E.g.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2017/11/07/stephen-hawking-earth-could-become-ball-fire-within-600-years/839698001/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2017/06/21/stephen-hawking-earth-peril-its-time-get-out-dodge/415152001/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5463503/Professor-Stephen-Hawking-explains-happened-Big-Bang.html

Although it must be statedw - that doesn't separate him as such from fine company. Didn't your man Newton spend a huge amount of time looking at alchemy and codes hidden in the bible etc?

In Newton's defence Alchemy was a serious topic back thenthem, and it paved the way for Chemistry and even Psychology. Alchemy was a very important stepping stone.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    For anyone having difficulty understanding his theories, he sang a song in 2014 that explained them in simpler terms...

It was a cover of the Monty Python 'Galaxy Song' and Hawking released it as a single in 2015 to mark International Record Store Day.

Did you also get you history lessons from Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire?

Have you considered becoming a presenter for the Discovery Channel? You're a natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I might watch The Theory of Everything tonight in tribute.

RIP to a brilliant mind.

Fourier wrote: »
    In his black hole radiation papers he was the first person to combine general relativity and quantum field theory. Not only that but he got specific predictions from it.

If that doesn't make somebody a great intellectual, you have a pretty high bar.

Even though almost every cosmologist today accepts that Black Holes don't exist. An outdated concept rooted in Christian Big Bang Theory kept going by Hawking and his groupies.

You'll have to do better that Wiki me me oul China.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

LoLth wrote: »
    Feck. Can we skip to the bargaining part of grief? I can think of one or three people the world would happily trade (and be infinitely better for it!).

A great mind (possibly made more so in part because of his struggle with the physical) with a cruel disease.

I cannot find a time of death anywhere but in the US format today just happens to be 3.14 2018 . ..

Also Einsteins birthday today...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Even though almost every cosmologist today accepts that Black Holes don't exist. An outdated concept rooted in Christian Big Bang Theory kept going by Hawking and his groupies.

Best you get on to nasa quick then and get them to employ a cosmologist!

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/stories/nasa-knows/what-is-a-black-hole-k4.html

The universal consensus is that they do exist, as papers from every continent appear on the arxiv everyday about them. Hawking's "groupies" are essentially the entire physics community in this regard.
    Didn't Wiki it, note that what I said is not on Wikipedia. I have read Hawking's papers.

Even ignoring this, if I had Wiki-ed it how does that matter? If he was factually the first to combine them, Wikipedia recording that fact doesn't diminish it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Some say he died decades ago…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He was also the only person on Star Trek to play himself

• Registered Users Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

nope

just making an observation, no ego involved

i wonder if it was an elaborate hoax, his physical condition gave him a lot of fame compared to his peers and many of them could be considered more intelligent, some people have been known to fake a different ethnicity in order to progress in their careers

that was a joke

How the fcuk would you know who's more intelligent than him or what it even means to be more intelligent than him? Are you a cosmologist with a similar IQ and understanding of theoretical physics? Don't embarrass yourself any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

If he's so smart how come he's dead? - homer j Simpson

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mad muffin wrote: »
    Some say he died decades ago…

his body did, not his mind

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Within the physics community he was regarded as just another theoretical phycisist albeit a quite brilliant one. For me his legacy will be in transcending that community through his passion of helping us the public becoming interested in and hopefully as awed by the universe we live in as Hawking himself was and personally his books succeeded in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

fryup wrote: »
    his body did, not his mind

What he means is that the real hawking died back in the 80's, plenty photos of the two men with striking differences in appearances.

valoren wrote: »
    Within the physics community he was regarded as just another theoretical phycisist albeit a quite brilliant one.
    Hawking was considered the best of his generation in the community. He single handedly changed the study of General Relativity.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

branie2 wrote: »
    I might watch The Theory of Everything tonight in tribute.

What a powerful gesture of solidarity.

Advertisement