Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Stephen Hawking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I was lucky to meet him once.
    The world was lucky to have him. A great man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

He was truly an amazing man. His mind will be greatly missed.RIP.

"I’m not afraid of death, but I’m in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first." -- Stephen Hawking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Give us a few names of the peers you say are more intelligent.

Just one or two will do. Does not have to be a list.

i can address this question more appropriately if you state your true motives, im not in the mood for futility

What a massive loss for mankind.

Not his greatest achievement by any means, but I love the time traveller party he threw in 2009:

https://vinepair.com/articles/stephen-hawking-time-travel-party/

Something does not have to be complicated to be ingenius.

As simple as it may have been, it has raised a very important question: why did no one turn up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

i can address this question more appropriately if you state your true motives, im not in the mood for futility

Unless im mistaken, you've waited for a hagiograohic/ RIP thread on the man to criticise him, rather than starting a thread comparing him with his peers, in the several years you've had since youve had achieved this insight, and appear now unable to back up your claims.
    I could be wrong of course.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

Born in Kent but spoke with an American accent ..........pretentious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We are in the gutter, but some of us can see the stars.

RIP Stephen Hawking, the world's IQ has dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

There weren't other physicists of this generation more intelligent than him to the poster saying otherwise. Only people with more talent were from previous generations.

I worked through some of his papers in graduate school. There was one he wrote with Hartle on Quantum Gravity that took me a week to understand, he could do it in his head in minutes.

It's difficult to grasp how smart he actually was unless you know Theoretical Physics.

Unless im mistaken, you've waited for a hagiograohic/ RIP thread on the man to criticise him, rather than starting a thread comparing him with his peers, in the several years you've had since youve had achieved this insight, and appear now unable to back up your claims.
    I could be wrong of course.

he was not the smartest man alive, that doesn't take anything away from his achievements. he marketed himself very well. there are many people who share a similar opinion about him, youre welcome to use your favourite search engine to discover this

Neil deGrasse Tyson is this generations Steven Hawking. altho they are intellectually on separate levels, fame amongst the general public can elevate a persons professional reputation above their peers

the guy was a genius, im just a guy on the internet with an opinion, regrettably it has been misunderstood as disrespectful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

I really liked that dance song he did
    "Push me and then just touch me,
    til i can get my, satisfaction...satisfaction"
    He wasn't in the video though, just women using tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Neil deGrasse Tyson is this generations Steven Hawking.

Not even close...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

he was not the smartest man alive, that doesn't take anything away from his achievements. he marketed himself very well. there are many people who share a similar opinion about him, youre welcome to use your favourite search engine to discover this

Neil deGrasse Tyson is this generations Steven Hawking. altho they are intellectually on separate levels, fame amongst the general public can elevate a persons professional reputation above their peers

I have asked you to name the peers you consider more intelligent.

Please do so.

If I had to name someone I would consider more intellectually capable I could name one - Carl Sagan.

Now i'm asking you to name these peers you consider superior intellects.

I'll accept a couple of names.

Not even close...
    agreed, but hes the most famous at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

I always wonder how much more he could have achieved if he hadn't had his illness. RIP Stephen. You'll be shining down on us from the stars tonight. One of the all time great minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Ah heor, youre around this place to know if you make a statement, you're expected to back it up, a "go google it" wont wash.

the guy was a genius, im just a guy on the internet with an opinion, regrettably it has been misunderstood as disrespectful

Im not sure did i/we misunderstand you, as much as you might not have articulated yourself properly and presented as disrespectful, but i take your point.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Feck. Can we skip to the bargaining part of grief? I can think of one or three people the world would happily trade (and be infinitely better for it!).

A great mind (possibly made more so in part because of his struggle with the physical) with a cruel disease.

I cannot find a time of death anywhere but in the US format today just happens to be 3.14 2018 . ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

Creator of the Daleks. Who will ever forgot his fitst appearance in 1975 in the episode Genesis of the Daleks.

The Time Lords will sleep soundly tonight.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.

RIP Sir.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Ah poor oul' Stephen. A great man. We'll never know what he would have contributed if he had had his full health.

AH answer:
    A terrible disease what with the slowly wasting away. My friend had told me that he wasn't too bad until he got his first wheelchair. The brakes weren't very good on it.....Doctors said he went downhill very quickly after that

Too soon?

Awful effort, get back to primary school with that craic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Just heard. RIP to a great mind.
    His initial prognosis was not good when he was young and look at what he achieved.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

And recorded forever in Simpsons fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Rochelle

Please do so.

If I had to name someone I would consider more intellectually capable I could name one - Carl Sagan.

Who the fcuk are you? His parent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

Before they bury him have they tried switching him on and off again?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

most importantly, he had a good sense of humour...

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Fourier wrote: »
    There weren't other physicists of this generation more intelligent than him to the poster saying otherwise. Only people with more talent were from previous generations.

I worked through some of his papers in graduate school. There was one he wrote with Hartle on Quantum Gravity that took me a week to understand, he could do it in his head in minutes.

It's difficult to grasp how smart he actually was unless you know Theoretical Physics.

is theoretical physics dumbing down?

I remember a picture from 1930 of a conference with Einstein, Schrodinger, Heisenberg and many more. None to rival them now.

RIP mr Hawkings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I think most people know Tyson is a science populiser, not top of his game in theoretical physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Ah poor oul' Stephen. A great man. We'll never know what he would have contributed if he had had his full health.

AH answer:
    A terrible disease what with the slowly wasting away. My friend had told me that he wasn't too bad until he got his first wheelchair. The brakes weren't very good on it.....Doctors said he went downhill very quickly after that

Too soon?

Get out, you idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.”
    ~ Stephen Hawking 1942 - 2018

I must dust off A Brief History of Time and re-read.

Truly an amazing man - RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Please do so.

Weren't a lot of his theories disproven in the last few years??

Advertisement