Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Stephen Hawking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Fourier wrote: »
    Hawking was considered the best of his generation in the community. He single handedly changed the study of General Relativity.
    I should say this is not to dispute valoren's main point.

Anyone else think he was wrong about the expansion of the universe and the big bang and stuff?

It would depend, the expansion of the universe and the big bang weren't his ideas (they date to before he was born) most of his work was about black holes and how they interact with matter, or about matter in high gravity in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 macbanana

R.i.p.Mr Hawkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Very sad to hear RIP to an absolute genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Zirconia wrote: »
    Just because that stuff sounds a bit wierd, it doesn't make them "bat**** crazy" , I believe he is on the right line on all of these!

Prove it :pac:

only kidding.. is there a Hawkins protege taking up his work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭joey1111

Such an incredible man, may he rest in peace.

Always found it so crazy that the guy who had probably the most brilliant brain in the world ended up with the rest of his body being basically useless. It's like God saying, no one can have it all, there's a trade-off for everything. or something. It's just way too much of a coincidence to not be significant IMO.

I probably wouldn't understand most of his work, but enjoyed his Bang Theory cameos and also think we should give serious consideration to his warnings about AI and technology taking over.

didnt stop him from getting married twice and producing 3 children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

You want a physicist to speak at your funeral. You want the physicist to talk to your grieving family about the conservation of energy, so they will understand that your energy has not died. You want the physicist to remind your sobbing mother about the first law of thermodynamics; that no energy gets created in the universe, and none is destroyed.

You want your mother to know that all your energy, every vibration, every Btu of heat, every wave of every particle that was her beloved child remains with her in this world. You want the physicist to tell your weeping father that amid energies of the cosmos, you gave as good as you got.

And at one point you’d hope that the physicist would step down from the pulpit and walk to your brokenhearted spouse there in the pew and tell him that all the photons that ever bounced off your face, all the particles whose paths were interrupted by your smile, by the touch of your hair, hundreds of trillions of particles, have raced off like children, their ways forever changed by you.

And as your widow rocks in the arms of a loving family, may the physicist let her know that all the photons that bounced from you were gathered in the particle detectors that are her eyes, that those photons created within her constellations of electromagnetically charged neurons whose energy will go on forever.

You can hope your family will examine the evidence and satisfy themselves that the science is sound and that they’ll be comforted to know your energy’s still around. According to the law of the conservation of energy, not a bit of you is gone; you’re just less orderly.
    ......Aaron Freeman

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Prove it
    Or to follow the scientific method - you disprove it? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

Funny to see so many posters on here, who are nothing more than pen-pushers in menial jobs, taking the intellectual highground on Hawkings work beacause they saw a 45 minute BBC documentary on him three years ago.

Funny to see so many posters on here, who are nothing more than pen-pushers in menial jobs, taking the intellectual highground on Hawkings work beacause they saw a 45 minute BBC documentary on him three years ago.

AAhh..this is the internet..watching hawking 10 years ago means I am amply qualified to comment..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ger Roe wrote: »
    For anyone having difficulty understanding his theories, he sang a song in 2014 that explained them in simpler terms...

It was a cover of the Monty Python 'Galaxy Song' and Hawking released it as a single in 2015 to mark International Record Store Day.

I prefer the song he did with Benny Benassi. Thought he might be in the video too, but its just a load of moths with power tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

macbanana wrote: »
    R.i.p.Mr Hawkins.

Who's Mr Hawkins?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Ah poor oul' Stephen. A great man. We'll never know what he would have contributed if he had had his full health.

AH answer:
    A terrible disease what with the slowly wasting away. My friend had told me that he wasn't too bad until he got his first wheelchair. The brakes weren't very good on it.....Doctors said he went downhill very quickly after that

Too soon?
    Get out, you idiot.

Ah that's terrible. How can you try to say he was not a great man?

This is a very serious matter and not to be taken lightly. A great man died. As a great intellect and top physicist, I have no doubt that Stephen himself would have appreciated the gravity of the situation......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Who's Mr Hawkins?

Your man from The Darkness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

LoLth wrote: »

I cannot find a time of death anywhere but in the US format today just happens to be 3.14 2018 . ..

Wait! You're not going to tell me he choked on a Pi!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Even though almost every cosmologist today accepts that Black Holes don't exist. An outdated concept rooted in Christian Big Bang Theory kept going by Hawking and his groupies.

You'll have to do better that Wiki me me oul China.

I think you're mixing up cosmologists with cosmetologists

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

So the 14th of March is Einstein's birthday, Pi Day and now Hawking's death... pretty interesting date

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

So the 14th of March is Einstein's birthday, Pi Day and now Hawking's death... pretty interesting date

So is any date.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I liked Ricky Gervais line on him "Stephen Hawkings- born in Oxford but has an American accent. Bit pretentious."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

va993do.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

nope

just making an observation, no ego involved

i wonder if it was an elaborate hoax, his physical condition gave him a lot of fame compared to his peers and many of them could be considered more intelligent, some people have been known to fake a different ethnicity in order to progress in their careers

that was a joke

He got away with a lot of old twaddle, greatest minds etc, people parrot that crap because they are TOLD HE IS. That intense repetition of this over the decades does sink in. Countless better scientists than him
    Greatest mind ever?. Not even close. Anyway how would you define "Greatest mind?" so subjective.

I don't think so. Each to their own.

Good luck Stephen, you codded them all for a long time. R.I.P. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭joey1111

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I never followed the man and only know of him from articles in the news over the years and noticing his physical disability.

Did he ever come up with any solutions that have been proven and carried out and if so what are they?

I'm looking for laymans terms not an equation. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Zirconia wrote: »
    Just because that stuff sounds a bit wierd, it doesn't make them "bat**** crazy" , I believe he is on the right line on all of these!

But people believe a lot of things.

And then there is science. A lot of his recent proclamations wouldn't exactly be the most scientific, to put it diplomatically on the day of his demise.

In their departure from the scientific method, these ideas are indeed bat**** crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

topper75 wrote: »
    But people believe a lot of things.

And then there is science. A lot of his recent proclamations wouldn't exactly be the most scientific, to put it diplomatically on the day of his demise.

In their departure from the scientific method, these ideas are indeed bat**** crazy.

people believe a son is his own father, and his mother is a virgin, and those people eat his flesh every sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

The likes of Elon Musk and other great innovators stood on Stephen Hawking's shoulders. Probably what killed him.

I have asked you to name the peers you consider more intelligent.

Please do so.

If I had to name someone I would consider more intellectually capable I could name one - Carl Sagan.

Now i'm asking you to name these peers you consider superior intellects.

I'll accept a couple of names.
    its ironic you mentioned Carl Sagan, a wise charismatic mind

but anyway im not playing that game. if it makes you feel better, just imagine this was a competition and you won the imaginary prize

How the fcuk would you know who's more intelligent than him or what it even means to be more intelligent than him? Are you a cosmologist with a similar IQ and understanding of theoretical physics? Don't embarrass yourself any further.

why so angry?

if i watch a game of football in my local park and a game of football on tv, i can see the players on tv are performing at a much higher level than the weekend warriors. is my observation false because im not equal to to the professionals?

i have a right to embarrass myself if it means i can be corrected, there is no shame in not knowing something, nobody is born with knowledge. i am open to the possibility that he was the smartest man on the planet during his lifetime, which is a difficult thing to prove.

lets take another iconic human as an example(but different logical context), Mother Theresa.
    Mother Theresa was no Mother Theresa.

• Advertisement

Mother Theresa was no Mother Theresa.
    Hawking was more intelligent than the public conception of him. He advanced General Relativity and Quantum Field Theory by decades. I can demonstrate this if you wish.

Advertisement