Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Spring 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

ECM 12z is more in line with the GFS.

wxbzaIS.gif

ECM you teaser :(, very brief southwesterly before the northerly on the 12z.

ynEB1YO.gif

7tEMrWI.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sryanbruen wrote: »
    ECM you teaser :(, very brief southwesterly before the northerly on the 12z.

Not sure why you'd want a southwesterly, cloudy, damp and dreary weather is all too common in this country!

I hope you're doing reverse psychology!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Not sure why you'd want a southwesterly, cloudy, damp and dreary weather is all too common in this country!

Of course I am! :p

A northerly will be much clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Heading into April a setup like that would probably lead to some land based convection kicking off so plenty of sunshine but with nice cloudscapes and thundery hail showers. I'd take that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Heading into April a setup like that would probably lead to some land based convection kicking off so plenty of sunshine but with nice cloudscapes and thundery hail showers. I'd take that..

Yes some heavy hail showers mixed with snow would be good.

On phone so can’t post charts, but Pub Run continues to show northerly for Easter and staying with us for quite a few days. The GFS has been very consistent with this, all runs today of it have showed this northerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭pauldry

I remember in 2006 I think it was there was the Northerly being shown on the charts around April but then what followed was some glorious weather for the following few months.

Surely we are due some warmth after this Northerly...surely

JCX BXC wrote: »

Woo hoo!! Come on the Bartlett high........

(gets coat).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Yes some heavy hail showers mixed with snow would be good.
    It would in its hole its fceking heat we need folks. at this stage have been looking at snow on and off since early January. I’m sure farmers are desperate for a bit of growth at this stage
    Would slso be nice not to be having to fill the oil tank every 6 weeks

• Advertisement

GFS 0z was still showing northerly, 06z coming very very shortly for the period.

VZRoSfn.png

4p0bffm.png

pxeMQ5t.png

82aoXgL.png

GFS 06z is a northerly again and more potent than the 0z.

drxHXxK.png

pk5QKKr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The possibility of a White Easter still there on the 6z.
    I heard somewhere that snow is more common at Easter than Christmas?
    I would believe it but only when it's an early Easter such as this one.
    edit: Sryan beat me to it.
    gfs-0-228.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭typhoony

the azores high is finally back where it should be, even if we do get a northerly during the middle of next week it's from the azores extending north instead of cold air pushing south, so very likely we get upper single digit temps by day and feeling pleasant enough away from the wind. Of course all of this is outside the reliable timeframe and the Azores High could as easily orientate in a SW to NE direction which would bring us springlike conditions

The possibility of a White Easter still there on the 6z.
    I heard somewhere that snow is more common at Easter than Christmas?
    I would believe it but only when it's an early Easter such as this one.
    edit: Sryan beat me to it.

I will research and do a table of previous Easters analysing information from charts from the archives.

ECM 0z shows zonal and fairly chilly conditions.

vwdDqbp.gif

8ZUto8u.gif

ECM 0z ensemble mean shows northerly.

KbJUW3W.gif

AemddMs.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I will research and do a table of previous Easters analysing information from charts from the archives.
    I have heard many times about a famous white Easter in 1975.
    There's somewhere to start! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

29th looks fun

d9mmFpEl.png

FNmfm8Al.png

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brookers

Easter 1984 was really warm and the start of a great summer, it was quite late in April that year. I remember the summer well because my dad was sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

My Sister was born March 28th 1975. My mum was already in the hospital and my dad struggled to get to the hospital due to heavy snow and my grandad got stuck in the snow and couldn't get there. (This was in Lincolnshire UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Advertisement

GFS 12z is cold yet again but more of an easterly than a northerly. Wouldn't last that long it seems given the Azores High in the mix.

xTvDupq.png

o8dw8iC.png

GEM 12z is a northerly/northeasterly.

Z5RR8LF.png

mkgkArT.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Surprisingly enough, the UKMO is backing the GFS at 144hr, beast 3 incoming?

The end of the GFS 12z run shows an absolute monster of a block over Greenland of over 1060mb.... now if only that was in December. Complete waste of a beautiful Winter chart..... why does it have to be in April?

Like 99.9% unlikely though to happen cause a 1060mb block in April.... seriously GFS? :P

sIMfIkG.png

ECM 12z shows no northerly at +216hrs but there does seem some signs of Azores High retrogression up to Greenland here. Even then, the air is still fairly chilly with this southwesterly because look where the isobars originate from.

ayLViPj.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

brookers wrote: »
    Easter 1984 was really warm and the start of a great summer, it was quite late in April that year. I remember the summer well because my dad was sick.

Easter Sunday fell on 22nd April iirc. That whole week after was amazing. I think Northern Ireland set a record April max of 24.6C in Derry, also Valentia had a record April max of 24C.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GFS dangling the carrot of possibly a 3rd easterly incursion before the end of the month...the GFS has not performed well at all for some time though. So poor it's been almost ignored favor of the European models in recent months.

gfs-0-186.png?18

Yep, beast from the east part 3 on the GFS 18z. Still all FI for now and don't forget, before the 06z this morning, the GFS was showing this as a northerly, now an easterly.

spFfWyr.png

sQYWyYY.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I wouldn't bet against it.

It'd be a weaker easterly again, but hitting all that moisture... Jeebus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Hmmm certainly support there on the GEFS /Eps for a potent shot from the North/North east/East - surely not another blast coming our way?

gens-21-1-216.png

Advertisement