Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Spring 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Yes I think so, all models in general agreement on this scenario this morning.

This will turn into quite a remarkable month, perhaps not as cold as March 2013 but coming fairly close if it turns as cold as some maps are showing 29th to 31st. Perhaps more unusual would be the three easterly events with snowfall if that's what happens again. Also very unusual, the highest temperature at the 25 reporting stations of met.ie is only 13.9 C and that does not look like being pushed any higher, if so it would be only marginal and whatever value we have at end of month would be four or five degrees lower than the average maximum for March.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,554 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ECM shows some frontal snow potential as early as 120 hrs.

ECM1-120.GIF?23-12

ECM0-144.GIF?23-12

More possibilities thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

ECM looks good for frontal snowfall. I would prefer if the uppers were just a degree or two lower to be sure. The dew points (very important) look very good for many but not all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Has something happened in the atlantic to allow all these eastern systems to push her away and take over ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Interesting... 1816 the year without a summer, 1917 the year of Ireland's heaviest snowfall, 2018...???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Even a snow nut like me would prefer warmth by Easter I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,263 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Has something happened in the atlantic to allow all these eastern systems to push her away and take over ?
    Look to the north rather than the west. Arctic temperatures are "crazy" at the moment

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/feb/27/arctic-warming-scientists-alarmed-by-crazy-temperature-rises

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Even a snow nut like me would prefer warmth by Easter I must say.

You're not a true snow nut..Ill take snow in july!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Danno wrote: »
    Interesting... 1816 the year without a summer, 1917 the year of Ireland's heaviest snowfall, 2018...???

Pretty sure the early 1700's were bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ckit1

Danno wrote: »

Brings a whole new meaning to Climate '101'...

A few centuries back... but in line with the run...

wea3198-fig-0002-m.jpg

Full article:
    https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/wea.3198#wea3198-note-0004

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Ckit1 wrote: »
    Brings a whole new meaning to Climate '101'...

A few centuries back... but in line with the run...

Full article:
    https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/wea.3198#wea3198-note-0004
    Just reading that and noted the
    "January 1814 Dublin Exceptional depth"

JQo7nNF.png
    Pretty sure the early 1700's were bad too.
    The "Great Frost" of 1740-41, Bliain an Áir, or Year of Slaughter, was a period of unusually cold weather that lasted from around December 1739 to September 1741, it was an event that affected the whole of Europe, though seemed to have its worst effects in Ireland.
    Deep frosts only occurred during the winter months, but there was little real respite afterwards as the spring and summer weather was unusually cold and dry leading to the death of livestock and the failure of crops, and therefore an inability to prepare for the second unusually cold winter. Records are scant and the population size only an estimate, guesses as to the loss of life largely through starvation at this period are up to 38% of the population.
    Taken from https://www.mapspictures.com/ireland/history/ireland_population.php

There is also the mini ice age
    Some good info as well on mostly uk but has a good few irish details go back to 1700 http://www.pascalbonenfant.com/18c/weather.html

Forgot to add 1708 /1709 was also known as great frost over europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

As April fools joke go, I would like this one :D

gfs-0-210.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

GFS 12z hinting at maybe a weaker version of this... Can we get one last kick out of this winter?

1st April 1917 - One of the heaviest snowfalls ever recorded in Ireland

archives-1917-4-1-0-0.png

archives-1917-4-1-0-1.png

GFS 12z, okay so quite a different setup, just showing to illustrate what is achievable at this time of year.

gfs-0-234.png?12

gfs-1-234.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Interesting post here
    Severe snow-storm on 23rd of February 1933 and on February 1894 when there was 3 feet of snow.
    https://www.facebook.com/duchas.ie/posts/719822774888615

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Snow potential all but gone from 00z ECM and GFS not looking too hot (or should that be too cold :P ) either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Hooter23

We might get upgrades again like the last 2 events...have to wait and see;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,554 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Set fair for the moment. Nothing severe on the horizon. That could change though over the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Hooter23 wrote: »
    We might get upgrades again like the last 2 events...have to wait and see;)

Upgrade to some heat would be real nice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The models are showing a cold and wet Easter period, ugh.

Nothing overly cold to cause wintry conditions but cold enough to make it feel miserable and lots of unsettled weather in with that.

Now they are beginning to improve, somewhat with a southern correction of the low pressure making cold air easier to flood its way south and high pressure build to the north and west.

ICON 06z at +120 hrs.

2mLzucu.png

GFS 12z has the chances for odd wintry potential to occur but there isn't much precipitation at all on Easter Sunday on this run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

ECM just looks dismal. -4 uppers the whole time meaning 4 to 6 degrees, cool, damp, miserable, dull and generally crap.

Love this country. But hate its weather at times.

Today meanwhile was bloody glorious. Went for a 6hr drive for no apparent reason and basked in sunshine for 5h30 of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Check in only three posts today woohoo that means no snow 😅😅

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Check in only three posts today woohoo that means no snow ����

No snow. However I thought you wanted warm weather, currently there is none of that on offer, it wil be cold for the time of year and quite wet. So I don't see much to get excited about. The jetstream being well to the south is again causing low pressures to meander about near us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

What are the chances we get a prolonged period with the jetstream south of us? I'm talking 4/5 months plus. If so would it mean continuing easterlies in general and the chance of a scorching summer? 1995 springs to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

What are the chances we get a prolonged period with the jetstream south of us? I'm talking 4/5 months plus. If so would it mean continuing easterlies in general and the chance of a scorching summer? 1995 springs to mind

I asked this a few weeks ago, responses were generally along the lines of warmer but damper due to these meandering low pressures from Biscay and us being an island jutting out into an ocean.

Sounds like a drought could be on the way,the rivers are dangerously low at the moment.
    And if the jetstream changes that will mean offshore winds keeping the atlantic away,lakes will go stagnant rivers will clog up with weeds....
    More water restrictions, back in 95 there wasn't as much of a demand on water...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Sounds like a drought could be on the way,the rivers are dangerously low at the moment.
    Are they? Up here in the Wicklow mountains, the ground is still saturated, and stream levels still up. It's been a few years since the Vartry Reservoir has been as high. Or is there an east/ west split water table wise too?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Upgrade to some heat would be real nice

are there some out there still looking for more cold and snow? surely the novelty has worn off? :D

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Are they? Up here in the Wicklow mountains, the ground is still saturated, and stream levels still up. It's been a few years since the Vartry Reservoir has been as high. Or is there an east/ west split water table wise too?

Definitely, the River Fergus system consists of limestone and the land is very pourous in the Burren.

Unlike granite which is hard rock, limestone is totally different.

It's quite interesting, turloughs, underground lake's and streams it's unique really.

• Advertisement

I'll take the GFS 0z FI please.

m8ra7eW.png

Advertisement