Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I build muscle without meat?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Markgc

Do you engage in self flagellation for the time you spent eating animals given how much vigorously you wish to make your point?

No. Neither do I resort to personal insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Markgc wrote: »
    No. Neither do I resort to personal insult.

Good. That makes two of us.

Don't eat animals. It causes suffering

https://vimeo.com/139912845

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Don't eat animals. It causes suffering

https://vimeo.com/139912845

Body building?
    Seriously is there anything original to say at all?
    All I can see is copy and paste rubbish (see previous post & reply) without any original comment. Why is that?

'In the Nurses' Health Study II cohort, among 4502 women with a history of gestational diabetes, there was a 36% increased risk of diabetes among women with the highest overall low-carbohydrate diet score, and a 40% increased risk when the low-carbohydrate diet favored animal products.[105]
    5.3. Carbohydrates
    It is a common perception that carbohydrate-rich foods should be avoided in people who have, or are at risk for, type 2 diabetes. As with protein and fat, it is essential to distinguish between the types and sources of carbohydrates. Meta-analyses of cohort studies demonstrated that carbohydrates from whole grains and cereal fibers reduce the risk of developing diabetes while refined,[20],[101] low-fiber carbohydrates can increase the risk of diabetes.[29] Metabolic studies also confirm benefits of carbohydrates in comparison to animal protein. Sargrad, et al.,[102] compared high-protein versus high-carbohydrate diets, while keeping fat intake constant at 30%, for a period of eight weeks in patients with type 2 diabetes. The high-carbohydrate group was instructed to eat more bread, cereal, pasta, and starchy vegetables while the high-protein group was instructed to have more fish, chicken, eggs, low fat milk, cheese, and nuts. Although weight loss was equivalent in both groups, the high-carbohydrate group had a decrease in hemoglobin A1c (from 8.2% to 6.9%, P < 0.03) and fasting plasma glucose (from 8.8 to 7.2 mmol/L, P < 0.02), and an increase in insulin sensitivity (from 12.8 to 17.2 mmol/kg per minute, P < 0.03). No significant changes in these parameters occurred in the high-protein group.
    Moreover, low-carbohydrate diets have been found in several studies to actually increase the risk of type 2 diabetes. Among more than 40,000 men in the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study, the highest quintile of a low-carbohydrate eating pattern, when based on animal sources, conferred a 37% increased risk of diabetes; interestingly, when the low-carbohydrate diet was based on vegetable sources, it was protective, decreasing risk by 22%.[103] Halton, et al.,[104] found a similar protective effect of plant-based low-carbohydrate diets among women in the Nurses' Health Study, although, in this population, the overall low-carbohydrate score did not increase risk. In the Nurses' Health Study II cohort, among 4502 women with a history of gestational diabetes, there was a 36% increased risk of diabetes among women with the highest overall low-carbohydrate diet score, and a 40% increased risk when the low-carbohydrate diet favored animal products.[105] In the EPIC-Potsdam cohort, Schulze et al.,[106] noted that a higher carbohydrate intake at the expense of protein might decrease diabetes risk. In the general and geriatric populations, low-carbohydrate diets have been associated with increased all-cause, cardiovascular, and cancer mortality.[107]–[110]
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5466941/

Seriously - take a life threatening condition and use it to post stuff to promote some personal crusade?

I will post this again for as this was evidently ignored

Any one making universal declarations about a cure or indeed 'prevention need to know how potential irresponsible and life threatening such inaccurate claims really are imo

Type 1 is not 'curable' / 'preventable' by any change in diet or lifestyle - it effects young people as a result of their body failing to produce insulin and is a life threatening condition if not properly managed - with a need to administrator insulin on a daily basis

Type 2 is caused by a process of insulin resistance and may be helped with diet management and / or medication

Gestational relates to diabetes developed during pregnancy

To make any claims of cures / prevention is as reckless as claiming cancer can be cured by quackery 

From diabetes.ie
    The "body automatically (keeps) your blood sugar exactly at the right level. Here is how that works. After a meal containing carbohydrates, sugar is absorbed into the blood stream very quickly. The amount of sugar in your blood must not get too high or too low. Two hormones – insulin and glucagon – were produced in the pancreas – to ensure that the blood sugar was always well controlled no matter how much you had to eat and how much you exercise" 

https://www.diabetes.ie/about-us/what-is-diabetes/

Insulin is used by the body to control levels of glucose derived from ingested carbohydrate.

And that has shag all got to do with eating "meat" or how nasty you think it is ...

However eating 'processed' meats such as hot dogs etc which contain large amounts of cereal, fillers, soya (carbs) plus additives may very well have an negetive effect on people's blood sugar levels on those diagnosed with one of the 3 types of diabetes listed above

https://blog.bulletproof.com/the-truth-about-red-meat-and-diabetes/

I have several family members with diabetes and can verify the facts detailed above. I really cannot stand it when diabetes as a life threatening condition is treated as a plaything by those seeking to promote some benighted view of their own morality... :mad:

• Advertisement

What has that video got to do with building muscle? But having a go now at farmers and specifically UK farming? I have a problem with that post in that you are making unqualified attacks on farming on one hand and on the other you would appear to freely support / work with the Betting industry?

Many would see the betting industry as directly supporting the use of animals for pure financial gain and pleasure- nothing else.

Whatever about the last video you posted about eating dog in the Far East - betting on animals and supporting the racing industry including dog racing can only be seen as pure 'unnecessary' human pleasure which uses animals BUT does not even purport to feed people or provide tens of millions people's a livelihood

At least agriculture of all types - even that which feeds vegans is necessary and is the bedrock for the feeding of the billions of humans on this planet - something the betting industry which exploits for nothing else but human pleasure.

From India, to Sub Saharan Africa to South America and yes even this small island- farming - animal arable and horticultural helps feeds billions of people.

Something the betting industry will never do ...

See example
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055663933/103/#post76940295

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Taurine supplementation might be worth looking into for vegans doing weight training. I think most taurine sources are animal.

Greyhound racing is bad wrt animal welfare anyway

http://www.thejournal.ie/mass-grave-for-racing-greyhounds-discovered-in-limerick-413486-Apr2012/

Work and personal lifestyle choices are not the same things though. There are vegetarians working in the meat industry. It's not a contradiction.

Greyhound racing is bad wrt animal welfare anyway

Work and personal lifestyle choices are not the same things though. There are vegetarians working in the meat industry. It's not a contradiction.

Does veganism not advocate "a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose"?

https://www.vegansociety.com/go-vegan/definition-veganism

:confused:

• Advertisement

Choosing not to work in the gambling industry would have zero effect on the welfare of animals associated with it.

It's weird to look up where he works..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

gozunda wrote: »
    And that has shag all got to do with eating "meat" or how nasty you think it is

Except for

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/how-to-reduce-your-risk-of-diabetes-cut-back-on-meat/

https://harvardmagazine.com/2012/01/a-diabetes-link-to-meat

https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/consuming-red-meat-increase-type-2-diabetes-risk/

And the list goes on
    https://blog.bulletproof.com/the-truth-about-red-meat-and-diabetes/

I have several family members with diabetes and can verify the facts detailed above. I really cannot stand it when diabetes as a life threatening condition is treated as a plaything by those seeking to promote some benighted view of their own morality... :mad:

Ahhh Mister bullet proof
    Dave Asprey, founder of Bulletproof and author of New York Times bestseller The Bulletproof Diet, is a Silicon Valley investor and technology entrepreneur who spent two decades and over $1 Million to hack his own biology.

Great source and authority on diabetes :rolleyes:

weisses wrote: »

Unless you are a medical professional using diabetes to promote a specific morality obsession is not only stupid but highly reckless as the condition carries a high risk of fatal complications

So stop with the rubbish. Thanks

What has that video got to do with building muscle? But having a go now at farmers and specifically UK farming? I have a problem with that post in that you are making unqualified attacks on farming on one hand and on the other you would appear to freely support / work with the Betting industry?

Many would see the betting industry as directly supporting the use of animals for pure financial gain and pleasure- nothing else.

Whatever about the last video you posted about eating dog in the Far East - betting on animals and supporting the racing industry including dog racing can only be seen as pure 'unnecessary' human pleasure which uses animals BUT does not even purport to feed people or provide tens of millions people's a livelihood

At least agriculture of all types - even that which feeds vegans is necessary and is the bedrock for the feeding of the billions of humans on this planet - something the betting industry which exploits for nothing else but human pleasure.

From India, to Sub Saharan Africa to South America and yes even this small island- farming - animal arable and horticultural helps feeds billions of people.

Something the betting industry will never do ...

See example
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055663933/103/#post76940295

Yes. I used to do that. And I have seen first hand the results of it i.e. the impact on the animal. So I stopped, even though I made very good money.

I don't nor I wouln't want to be part of an industry that imposes harm on a creature directly or indirectly.

And you ask what has the previous video I posted got to do with building muscle? This thread went off topic some time ago.
    When you pay for your meat wherever you buy it, you encourage the continuation of these dastardly practices.

Choosing not to work in the gambling industry would have zero effect on the welfare of animals associated with it.
    It's weird to look up where he works..

As quoted veganism purports "a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose. "

So either the person is self contradicting their vegan beliefs or they are not really 'vegans'.

Btw the corollary of your logic is that choosing to work in the gambling industry "does" have significant effects on the welfare of the animals associated with it. Ok then And more - Betting certainly does have significant impacts on the welfare and fate of those animals involved

As A farmer I have already been singled out here _ but anyway I didnt - they posted about it ...

Thanks

Yes. I used to do that. And I have seen first hand the results of it i.e. the impact on the animal. So I stopped, even though I made very good money.
    I don't nor I wouln't want to be part of an industry that imposes harm on a creature directly or indirectly.
    And you ask what has the previous video I posted got to do with building muscle? This thread went off topic some time ago.
    When you pay for your meat wherever you buy it, you encourage the continuation of these dastardly practices.

And still posting off topic again and again even without prompting -even where this has been pointed out by others.

To your other point - as a human being and being alive you will by definition impose harm on many creatures both directly or indirectly.

Preaching at others that a specific morality is better than them is therefore hypocritical

Posting copy and paste jobs as opinion is just dishonest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

All this has what to do with gains????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

bladespin wrote: »
    All this has what to do with gains????

Moral gains. The most important kind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Blacktie. wrote: »

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

Blacktie. wrote: »

Morals me ****

I've loads of them, it's muscles I want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement