Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I build muscle without meat?

Options
  • 02-03-2018 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

I haven't lifted weights in ten years and would like to restart and get big and strong but red meat from cows is pumped with antibiotics and pork is packed with cholesterol and saturated fat. But primarily not at the expense of an animal's life.

Can anyone point me to a good vegan guide or regime?

Regards
    Markgc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

There are so many videos on Youtube of vegan bodybuilders, athletes who do these what i eat in a day videos, you can get some good ideas for meals off them.

Eat more oats, quinoa, beans, lentils, soy products etc..

Protein is really a non issue and you can easily hit your numbers on a vegan diet if thats the route you want to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭muppetshow1451

Loads of protein in seafood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Pumped with antibiotics...... 😑 Irish and European agri products have the highest standards in the world you'll be safe enough if you stick to them

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭chatterbox

Hi, I've a similar goal to the original poster. does anyone have a workout plan and vegan or veggie food plan that I could use as a basis for my plan. Just looking for a starting point in which I can alter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Unicrons Dad

I have nothing against a person choosing a vegan lifestyle based on their moral views regarding killing animals for food but any vegan that chooses not to eat meat because of health reasons is down right wrong. The body is designed to eat meat and a high fat diet. What do you think we did in caveman days we went out hunted and killed an animal because a fatty meaty animal will give you the most bang for your buck energy wise.Think of our energy reserve system. What is it? Yep thats right fat and cholestrol so if a fat vegan goes on a diet a big part of their diet will be fat and cholestrol from their own body . By the way even though fatty meat is healthy pork is one of the leanest meats around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

I take vegan bcca supplement just to be sure I hit my protein targets for weightlifting. Taste vile but I'm getting used to it. Just put in a proteon scoop with some juice and spoon it out as it doesn't mix well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Grateful Dread

Hmmmm. There’s a lot of misinformation here.

Check out the vegan fitness subreddit here - www.reddit.com/r/veganfitness

At least you’ll be able to ask a question without being lectured to by pseudoscientists.

Also, since when the f*ck is fish not made of meat!?!

Hmmmm. There’s a lot of misinformation here.

Check out the vegan fitness subreddit here - www.reddit.com/r/veganfitness

At least you’ll be able to ask a question without being lectured to by pseudoscientists.

Also, since when the f*ck is fish not made of meat!?!

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Grateful Dread

Lol

Thought as much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Markgc wrote: »
    I haven't lifted weights in ten years and would like to restart and get big and strong but red meat from cows is pumped with antibiotics and pork is packed with cholesterol and saturated fat. But primarily not at the expense of an animal's life.

Can anyone point me to a good vegan guide or regime?

Regards
    Markgc

Yes once you're consuming enough calories and consuming enough protein.

There are lots of lists of the protein content of vegan foods if you Google so shouldn't be an issue.

Clarence Kennedy did a video on a typical day for him (he's also a vegan);

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

^^^ very good video by Harry Squatter there.

The reddit vegan fitness forum posted above is very good too, have a read there or ask questions: www.reddit.com/r/veganfitness
    There's a lot of vegan bodybuilders/strongmen/NFL/NBA players that should have some info of what they eat online.

Patrik Baboumian has done talks in Ireland a good few times and should be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Cooked quinoa is less than 5% protein.
    You do need to pay attention to your protein intake if you are newly vegan. You're unlikely to meet moderate protein requirements otherwise.
    Plenty of vegans achieve impressive musculature, but they will all have paid proper attention to their diet in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Markgc

I have nothing against a person choosing a vegan lifestyle based on their moral views regarding killing animals for food but any vegan that chooses not to eat meat because of health reasons is down right wrong. The body is designed to eat meat and a high fat diet. What do you think we did in caveman days we went out hunted and killed an animal because a fatty meaty animal will give you the most bang for your buck energy wise.Think of our energy reserve system. What is it? Yep thats right fat and cholestrol so if a fat vegan goes on a diet a big part of their diet will be fat and cholestrol from their own body . By the way even though fatty meat is healthy pork is one of the leanest meats around

We are not cavemen anymore.
    "A whole foods vegan diet not only reduces your risk of cardiovascular disease, but it can also lower your risk of other chronic diseases of affluence, like cancer and diabetes. Now that is reason for a celebratory vegan bran muffin!"
    http://www.yourdailyvegan.com/2013/06/do-i-need-to-worry-about-my-cholesterol-levels-as-a-vegan/

Pigs are more intelligent than dogs fyi.
    Do you not think they know something terrible is going on when parked outside a slaughterhouse?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6alCSO6kkzY
    "These beings were killed on March 30th, 2015. They were terrified and screaming. Imagine being packed into a transport truck with other people and hearing screams from the trucks ahead of you. You might not know exactly what is coming (although sometimes you can smell the blood and singed hair from the kill floor and hear others being killed) but you know it's something terrifying. Waterloo Wellington Animal Save captured this video at a vigil for the pigs being killed at Conestoga Meat Packers near Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. There were 7 trucks in an hour and a half.

The Save Movement has spread worldwide. Please join a group to bear witness or if one doesn't exist in your area, start one. Please stand up for them. Live a vegan life.

Video shot by Amary Nicolau and Bethany Karn
    Editing by Bethany Karn

Save Groups Worldwide: http://www.torontopigsave.org/links/
    WWAS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wwanimalsave
    Go Vegan: http://www.torontopigsave.org/go-vegan/

Would your kids be happy to eat meat if you showed them that video?
    If we can't nuture and protect our fellow beings how can we expect to care for one another? We currently don't. World society is broke. Let's fix it for our future generations.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=new+zealand+should+public+attempt+to+hide+dead+dolphins+and+penguins+from+public&client=ms-android-h3g-ie&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi34eLO1tDZAhUBIsAKHaSbB8wQ_AUIESgB&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=oUW2DLsA9ddYnM:

Vegan diets lower your risk of some cancers but increase your risk of others. Reducing consumption of red meat and animal fat reduces cardiovascular risk. You can do that without being vegan.

There are compelling ethical arguments for veganism. It's a viable choice for most people if they put their mind to it. I think it undermines these facts to cherry pick and pretend there are compelling health reasons to adopt the diet though.

Vegan diets lower your risk of some cancers but increase your risk of others. Reducing consumption of red meat and animal fat reduces cardiovascular risk. You can do that without being vegan.

There are compelling ethical arguments for veganism. It's a viable choice for most people if they put their mind to it. I think it undermines these facts to cherry pick and pretend there are compelling health reasons to adopt the diet though.

Example?

Thyroid cancer, I think because of lower iodine consumption

We are not cavemen anymore.
    "A whole foods vegan diet not only reduces your risk of cardiovascular disease, but it can also lower your risk of other chronic diseases of affluence, like cancer and diabetes. Now that is reason for a celebratory vegan bran muffin!"
    http://www.yourdailyvegan.com/2013/06/do-i-need-to-worry-about-my-cholesterol-levels-as-a-vegan/

Pigs are more intelligent than dogs fyi.
    Do you not think they know something terrible is going on when parked outside a slaughterhouse?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6alCSO6kkzY
    "These beings were killed on March 30th, 2015. They were terrified and screaming. Imagine being packed into a transport truck with other people and hearing screams from the trucks ahead of you. You might not know exactly what is coming (although sometimes you can smell the blood and singed hair from the kill floor and hear others being killed) but you know it's something terrifying. Waterloo Wellington Animal Save captured this video at a vigil for the pigs being killed at Conestoga Meat Packers near Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. There were 7 trucks in an hour and a half.

The Save Movement has spread worldwide. Please join a group to bear witness or if one doesn't exist in your area, start one. Please stand up for them. Live a vegan life.

Video shot by Amary Nicolau and Bethany Karn
    Editing by Bethany Karn

Save Groups Worldwide: http://www.torontopigsave.org/links/
    WWAS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wwanimalsave
    Go Vegan: http://www.torontopigsave.org/go-vegan/

Would your kids be happy to eat meat if you showed them that video?
    If we can't nuture and protect our fellow beings how can we expect to care for one another? We currently don't. World society is broke. Let's fix it for our future generations.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=new+zealand+should+public+attempt+to+hide+dead+dolphins+and+penguins+from+public&client=ms-android-h3g-ie&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi34eLO1tDZAhUBIsAKHaSbB8wQ_AUIESgB&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=oUW2DLsA9ddYnM:

No I'm not a caveman but don't you think nature gets things right, I mean imagine trying to be a vegan in Ireland back then, what would you have to eat, its easy to be a vegan with your dogmatic views in modern industrialised society, we have lots of foods from lots of different countries but these is a very recent luxury in terms of the history of human beings on this planet, think about it imagine a vegan diet without foods from other countries, bottom line if early human beings were supposed to eat vegan we wouldn't be around today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

No I'm not a caveman but don't you think nature gets things right, I mean imagine trying to be a vegan in Ireland back then, what would you have to eat, its easy to be a vegan with your dogmatic views in modern industrialised society, we have lots of foods from lots of different countries but these is a very recent luxury in terms of the history of human beings on this planet, think about it imagine a vegan diet without foods from other countries, bottom line if early human beings were supposed to eat vegan we wouldn't be around today

In fairness just because we ate a certain way before doesn't mean it was optimal. Far from it. And I think most people follow the vegan route for. More ethical reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

We also used to die a lot earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There is no "meant to" or "designed", people ate what kept them alive, whatever calories they could get, those that could eat survived. There is nothing to say what we ate is what we now optimally should eat. That's essentially an appeal to nature. It was often the case that something bad for you in one way was carried in your genes if it had a positive affect that kept you alive. All evolution is is successfully having children. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind is a great book if you want to read about our history (in a slightly sensationalist way as some of it is wrong).

The OP has said the primary reason is an ethical one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

https://sigmanutrition.com/episode133/

Inform yourself, this podcast is a good start.

If training intensely you need to be smart if on a vegan diet.

ford2600 wrote: »
    https://sigmanutrition.com/episode133/

Inform yourself, this podcast is a good start.

If training intensely you need to be smart if on a vegan diet.

That was a good podcast, well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Mooooo wrote: »
    Pumped with antibiotics...... �� Irish and European agri products have the highest standards in the world you'll be safe enough if you stick to them
    He's obviously watching too many vegan youtube videos :mad:

The thread has wandered a bit. Thanks for replies even though I don't agree with all. You're entilted to your opinions.

But the thing is, we as a global civilisation are supposed to have highly developed morally, socially/intellectually and ethically in the last few hundred years; fifty years especially; never mind thirty thousand years.

We have grown in many ways. It's been said oh we have to eat meat because that's the way it always been. Well all those years ago adult men had sex with children. It was okay then as it was the norm but we as a people have grown beyond it today. We now know it is downright abominable.
    To butcher animals by the millions daily is also abominable when we have the intellect and capability to source our nutrition through other methods.
    Animals are the innocent children of today and we need to treat them with the utmost respect they are surely entilted to if humanity is to progress in any positive way.

The thread has wandered a bit. Thanks for replies even though I don't agree with all. You're entilted to your opinions.

But the thing is, we as a global civilisation are supposed to have highly developed morally, socially/intellectually and ethically in the last few hundred years; fifty years especially; never mind thirty thousand years.

We have grown in many ways. It's been said oh we have to eat meat because that's the way it always been. Well all those years ago adult men had sex with children. It was okay then as it was the norm but we as a people have grown beyond it today. We now know it is downright abominable.
    To butcher animals by the millions daily is also abominable when we have the intellect and capability to source our nutrition through other methods.
    Animals are the innocent children of today and we need to treat them with the utmost respect they are surely entilted to if humanity is to progress in any positive way.

We can agree to disagree without resorting to arguments like adult men had sex with children once upon a time and animals are innocent children.

We can agree to disagree without resorting to arguments like adult men had sex with children once upon a time and animals are innocent children.

No way can we agree to disagree. Anyone in the Western World whom eats animals is wholly ignorant and unempathetic to their right to life.

Life is very vivid to animals. In many cases they know who they are. They know who their friends are and who their rivals are. They have ambitions for higher status. They compete. Their lives follow the arc of a career, like ours do. We both try to stay alive, get food and shelter, and raise some young for the next generation. Animals are no different from us in that regard and I think that their presence here on Earth is tremendously enriching.

Current research provides compelling evidence that at least some animals likely feel a full range of emotions, including fear, joy, happiness, shame, embarrassment, resentment, jealousy, rage, anger, love, pleasure, compassion, respect, relief, disgust, sadness, despair, and grief (Skutch 1996, Poole 1996, 1998, Panksepp 1998, Archer 1999, Cabanac 1999, Bekoff 2000).

No way can we agree to disagree. Anyone in the Western World whom eats animals is wholly ignorant and unempathetic to their right to life.

Life is very vivid to animals. In many cases they know who they are. They know who their friends are and who their rivals are. They have ambitions for higher status. They compete. Their lives follow the arc of a career, like ours do. We both try to stay alive, get food and shelter, and raise some young for the next generation. Animals are no different from us in that regard and I think that their presence here on Earth is tremendously enriching.

Current research provides compelling evidence that at least some animals likely feel a full range of emotions, including fear, joy, happiness, shame, embarrassment, resentment, jealousy, rage, anger, love, pleasure, compassion, respect, relief, disgust, sadness, despair, and grief (Skutch 1996, Poole 1996, 1998, Panksepp 1998, Archer 1999, Cabanac 1999, Bekoff 2000).

I don't think you understand the concept of agreeing to disagree.

You have your strongly held beliefs and I enjoy eating meat. We will never agree and you will never think I right and will always think I'm ignorant.

And I will always enjoy meat well seasoned and well cooked. Though not well done.

• Advertisement

We cannot enrich humanities experience on this planet by continuing to destroy life surrounding us.

Advertisement