Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cloudy for the most part with occasional sun and showers

As I said...if you'd have read the forecast!

From Met Eireann:

SATURDAY: Warm and humid with long spells of sunshine. Dry too for much of the country, though the odd sharp shower will break out locally. Highest temperatures will range 18 to 22 degrees Celsius (best values in the west), but a few degrees cooler along east facing coasts with onshore easterly breezes here.

SUNDAY: Again warm and close with highest temperatures typically ranging 19 to 23 degrees Celsius. Some southern and eastern counties will see slightly lower maxima with onshore breezes. Whilst it will be generally sunny sunshine may turn hazy at times with the risk of coastal fog in the south. Dry across many parts too, but with the greater threat of scattered thunderstorms, these most likely across the south and east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Disappointing very disappointing. Yesterday was just such a special day if we get 5-10 of them a year we are doing well. Today is just meh dull overcast not especially warm not especially cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Disappointing very disappointing. Yesterday was just such a special day if we get 5-10 of them a year we are doing well. Today is just meh dull overcast not especially warm not especially cold.

I didn't think today would turn out as bad as it did. Hopefully the next few days won't be as poor as today.

I think temperatures are likely to be a bit higher over the coming days and eastern Leinster may even see 20C at some point.

There could be some really big showers over the next 3 days, but hopefully not a totally overcast murky cool day like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yeah today went downhill fast sadly
    Still I'm sitting outside in shorts and a t shirt so it's not all bad. Missed all the rain too. Didn't get the shower that's hit Athenry earlier

• Advertisement

Had completly unbroken sunshine until 6pm in West Clare, and the blue skies that went as far as the eye can see suddenly covered in. Light shower currently.

Max of 17.3c, so while beautiful unbroken sunshine and light winds made the day, a tad warmer wouldn't have gone far astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Warmest day of the year here so far (23c) but a nice cooling and extremely pleasant evening breeze out now. Bliss. :)

New Moon

sryanbruen wrote: »
    On a totally unrelated note to today, remember Knock Airport's very low sunshine total it was recording in April 2018? According to Met Éireann, there was an outage at Knock Airport during the month causing the figures for it to be unreliable. Therefore, it is not possible to get an exact sunshine total for the station for the month of April 2018.

What was strange was that they included Knock Airport in the sunshine total graphic at the end of the monthly weather summary for April 2018 but disregarded it in the summary itself.

Here's what they said exactly in reply to an email:

The sunshine total for Belmullet during the month was 141.2 hours whilst Knock Airport falsely having 71.1 hours. Over 70.1 hour difference between them in terms of sunshine during April 2018 yet their distance is only 102km.

Just wanted to clear this up.

It's a real pity they did not keep recording sunshine totals in Claremorris, as this was not only the least sunniest station on average in Ireland, but as far as I can gather, also on the entire planet! but it seems when it comes to actual reporting of the weather conditions over the last decade, S. Connacht is last on their list. Both Claremorris and Athenry do not report any of the actual conditions on the hourly reports, and it is interesting that out of the 8 stations on the hourly reports that do not report on such, that 5 of them are located in Connacht, and this rises to 6 once Knock Apt stops reporting in the evening.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Quite cool in Dublin city centre from early afternoon until I was last outside an hour ago. I could’ve sworn that in previous years we have had warmer temperatures for more than two days in a row by this time of year. It’s bizarre how our weather system appears to be in a cool state for such a prolonged period. New ice age could be brewing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It's a real pity they did not keep recording sunshine totals in Claremorris, as this was not only the least sunniest station on average in Ireland, but as far as I can gather, also on the entire planet! but it seems when it comes to actual reporting of the weather conditions over the last decade, S. Connacht is last on their list. Both Claremorris and Athenry do not report any of the actual conditions on the hourly reports, and it is interesting that out of the 8 stations on the hourly reports that do not report on such, that 5 of them are located in Connacht, and this rises to 6 once Knock Apt stops reporting in the evening.

0 stations in South Tipp, Limerick, North Cork. A massive area of the country. Should be a station in every county .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

While today was grey and dull I'd still rate the prospects for pleasant temps and decent spells of sunshine over the east as reasonably good for the next 5/6 days at least. Periods of cloud around at times also and to be honest I think we need a heavy shower or two, some areas are still below 15mm accumulations wise.

0 stations in South Tipp, Limerick, North Cork. A massive area of the country. Should be a station in every county .

I would agree, the SE in general has always been woefully represented when it comes to station distribution, more so than any other region.

New Moon

JCX BXC wrote: »
    As I said...if you'd have read the forecast!

From Met Eireann:

SATURDAY: Warm and humid with long spells of sunshine. Dry too for much of the country, though the odd sharp shower will break out locally. Highest temperatures will range 18 to 22 degrees Celsius (best values in the west), but a few degrees cooler along east facing coasts with onshore easterly breezes here.

SUNDAY: Again warm and close with highest temperatures typically ranging 19 to 23 degrees Celsius. Some southern and eastern counties will see slightly lower maxima with onshore breezes. Whilst it will be generally sunny sunshine may turn hazy at times with the risk of coastal fog in the south. Dry across many parts too, but with the greater threat of scattered thunderstorms, these most likely across the south and east.

I read MTs forecasts on here. Cloudy with sunny interviews and thunder showers .

A fine dull start to the day anyway so far

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cloudy dull start to the day here in Castlebar with a northerly breeze making it feel much cooler than yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

A mostly sunny, breezy morning. 16.3C.

Suns out now nice an warm but a fine breeze there too

Cloudy but clearing West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

After a cloudy start in Cork City its now a nearly clear blue sky and warm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pad199207

19c here already so id say this will be the warmest day of the spell so far here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭squarecircles

so its curtains for the fine spell next wednesday as the pigmuck has found a way in around a small low to the southwest of Ireland,the heat and sunshine will continue across the uk,so june will start in a very apropriate irish way,cool and overcast. Thats june in the trash heap so.

4 days of summer left:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Odd how it's much warmer already today despite quite a strong fair weather breeze, whereas a much lighter wind kept temperatures hugely back on Wednesday. Must be feeding in over more land today. D9.

EDIT: Airport reporting a brisk North breeze so no sea cooling for the time being anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

so its curtains for the fine spell next wednesday as the pigmuck has found a way in around a small low to the southwest of Ireland,the heat and sunshine will continue across the uk,so june will start in a very apropriate irish way,cool and overcast. Thats june in the trash heap so.

I don't think the UK - England anyway - is seeing much heat and sunshine today. Mostly cool and wet. Much better here. 19.4C here now. We don't even seem to have the easterly here anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Lovely day so far at Grange with plenty of blue skies. Feeling very warm but a nice breeze to compensate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

first day with warmth here since last Saturday. Beautiful day if a little bit windy. Currently 20C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭compsys

For god’s sake. Enough of the hyperbole. Summer doesn’t even begin until June anyway. We’ve already had some beautiful weather in Dublin this May, if a bit cool at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭compsys

Quite cool in Dublin city centre from early afternoon until I was last outside an hour ago. I could’ve sworn that in previous years we have had warmer temperatures for more than two days in a row by this time of year. It’s bizarre how our weather system appears to be in a cool state for such a prolonged period. New ice age could be brewing!

Where are you based? I’m on my mobile so your location doesn’t show.

In Dublin there were 4 days around 20c the first week in May. That’s 6 degrees above average.

Most stations recording above average temps for May according to ME.

Again, hyperbole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Very nice day. The breeze doesn't have that cool bite to it yet so thats a plus. Still hoping for some convection towards the end of this week/next week but it will be hard as usual.

Looking like a very average weekend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

Indeed
    And quite heavy rain has reappeared on yr.no and Mets rainfall forecast for tomorrow night into Sunday

Today is the nicest day of the week for me
    Warm but a nice breeze with it

• Advertisement

Where's that info from?

From a West Clare point of view, it's certainly looking like far from an average weekend, however if you were to read Met Eireanns symbols, you'd think it was nothing out of the ordinary.

Advertisement