Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extreme cold weather from Feb 25th on, and now St. Patrick's Day on...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Not if they have Willie Joe!

Get that wasp off my sandwich!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Willfarman wrote: »
    I have read and reread met eireanns forecast and don’t see anything to get excited about? Good dry hardy weather with chance of snow showers.

I think you missed the last paragraph:
    Wednesday through to Friday: Extremely cold with penetrating severe frosts and temperatures struggling to get above zero by day especially in eastern counties. Widespread snow showers at times, most especially in eastern, southern and northern counties and some disruptive accumulations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Spent the day here moving silage for a man from a field a few miles away to his yard in preparation for the upcoming snow. He usually brings a few on a trailer every day for his sucklers, but his outfit wouldn't be much use now in the bad weather. Moved his last 90 bales home to his yard there. At it since 8 this morning, and only stopped for a leak! Always nice to leave a mans yard and he content that his cows won't go hungry if the worst of the weather comes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Villain wrote: »
    I have read and reread met eireanns forecast and don’t see anything to get excited about? Good dry hardy weather with chance of snow showers.

I think you missed the last paragraph:
    Wednesday through to Friday: Extremely cold with penetrating severe frosts and temperatures struggling to get above zero by day especially in eastern counties. Widespread snow showers at times, most especially in eastern, southern and northern counties and some disruptive accumulations
    No one can forecast that far ahead with any accuracy. It's a welcome break from the mild wet. Good for land man and beast..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭BigSteaks

No one can forecast that far ahead with any accuracy. It's a welcome break from the mild wet. Good for land man and beast..

Exactly, 18 pages of amateur drama here. Jesus be great to get a nice cold spell and kill germs and dry the ground. Crown man and beast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Well don't say you weren't warned!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

https://www.netweather.tv/

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/

Go into the menus on each site and look at the weather models. The GFS is run by the Americans. The ECM is run by the Europeans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Dont forget to defrost yer cars before ye start driving them in the mornings.

And when ye do start driving them, for God sake don't be racing the roads or looking in over ditches to see who got the slurry out over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

No one can forecast that far ahead with any accuracy.

Actually you are wrong
    They can when there is full model agreement on the position of the Scandinavian high pressure,the temperature of the air advecting into Ireland and what happens when it picks up moisture over the north and Irish Sea

Go learn a bit about weather science instead of rushing into a thread with ill informed views
    OR better still don’t click on the thread if you don’t like or want the facts of the current weather situation

There is model agreement out to Friday but divergence after that
    Up to Friday it is expected parts of Leinster east Ulster and Munster could receive several inches of snow

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭BigSteaks

Actually you are wrong
    They can when there is full model agreement on the position of the Scandinavian high pressure,the temperature of the air advecting into Ireland and what happens when it picks up moisture over the north and Irish Sea

Go learn a bit about weather science instead of rushing into a thread with ill informed views
    OR better still don’t click on the thread if you don’t like or want the facts of the current weather situation

There is model agreement out to Friday but divergence after that
    Up to Friday it is expected parts of Leinster east Ulster and Munster could receive several inches of snow

Jaysus fella stop attacking him. Relax and have a beer or something. 18 pages of this and no decent thread on cap, ifa thread closed. Holy hell whats happening on f&f...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

BigSteaks wrote: »
    Jaysus fella stop attacking him. Relax and have a beer or something. 18 pages of this and no decent thread on cap, ifa thread closed. Holy hell whats happening on f&f...

I’m responsible for less than a page of it
    Most of it is a tangent on slurry :rolleyes:
    There are hundreds of threads and you are in here going on
    Roflable tbh

I’ll be back again with the latest when I’ve time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Tomorrow is the 25th the start of the invasion of the white walkers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

BigSteaks wrote: »

Swanning in like him and directing the mods to take down posts to do with slurry spreading was a great way to get peoples backs up.
    slurry spreading had as much to do with weather as meal deliveries, God knows we waited long enough for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

I must take back out the 'I survived the 2010 big freeze t-shirt'

Uncle said there's lots of work being done as it dried up with slurry/ploughing etc going on. Some lads even sowing beans!
    Looks like being baltic cold down to -8 at night but no snow so crack on at field work here, hope ye're not too badly affected. The minions might even have to turn the aircon off and heaters on :pac:

Every bit of ground everywhere is being ploughed left right and centre.
    The guy with the fert today had a delivery of seed barley on the lorry going to east of here.
    You'd want to be sowing beans fairly deep with this predicted weather and deep pockets.

It's some time of anticipation about this upcoming weather. It's two weeks now that people are talking about this. Some difference in years gone by where you just had maybe two days warning (if you were lucky).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭squinn2912

What's it givin now lads? Ground well dried up here. We got a few load of slurry out and no marking to talk of. I thought the cold snap more likely for Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I don't mind the cold, would prefer to be prepared for it than unprepared and shouting about not being warned!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Surely you rural people (farmers) will know what to do in bad weather for your crops or animals?

I know it may not be good for YE but townies suffer also. Have a heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Surely you rural people (farmers) will know what to do in bad weather for your crops or animals?

I know it may not be good for YE but townies suffer also. Have a heart.

ya twill be hard to keep your skinny latte hot

grassroot1 wrote: »
    ya twill be hard to keep your skinny latte hot

No wonder there is a rural/urban divide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Emergency water filled up anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Reggie. wrote: »

Will that not just freeze solid.,?

Snowfire wrote: »

He's going to gather the wife & kids round and they'll lick away at it like suck calves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Will we be having low single digits tops and precipitation from the East ? .Sinead Ryan puke weather jargon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No wonder there is a rural/urban divide.

Yeah..us townies don't know what a skinny latte is :D

I just prefer a hot coffee!

Will we be having low single digits tops and precipitation from the East ? .Sinead Ryan puke weather jargon.

Do you mean Siobhan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭memorystick

Would that not be better in the shed with straw around it? The middle of it won't freeze but the outside probably will.

Must be profitable to farm. But what do I know.

Maybe it is the valuable land with road frontage or something.

Or the incentives from the EU.

OK get to high dudgeon now and rebut.

Must be profitable to farm. But what do I know.

Maybe it is the valuable land with road frontage or something.

Or the incentives from the EU.

OK get to high dudgeon now and rebut.

??

I lived in Dublin in the bad snow of 2010 and life went on as normal for the main part. Back at home in Leitrim the roads had no grit, people were stranded, most folks had no water, some gas lines frozen as well. Tractors had to be used to collect people for shopping or deliver groceries to them. There was definitely an urban/rural divide then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Folks.... Let's keep this for the upcoming weather event of the next few days.

Away to Chit Chat for the..... Chit Chat!

Thanks. GC

• Advertisement

I hope you all watched that forecast by Met Eireann on RTE, a serious week of weather ahead with some serious snowfall, their words not mine!

Villain wrote: »
    I hope you all watched that forecast by Met Eireann on RTE, a serious week of weather ahead with some serious snowfall, their words not mine!

I was indeed, however I got distracted when I heard something like a dog barking in the studio!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭DX85

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Snowfire wrote: »

He put a bottle of vodka in it

End of March 2013. Wales.

https://youtu.be/hI053DSGTVo

Start of March 2018....it definitely will be Wales again and ...Ireland this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

was in skib mart yesterday and on my way home past the council yard the amount of salt and grit they had there was frightening ,

was in skib mart yesterday and on my way home past the council yard the amount of salt and grit they had there was frightening ,

At least they are prepared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

End of March 2013. Wales.

https://youtu.be/hI053DSGTVo

Start of March 2018....it definitely will be Wales again and ...Ireland this time.

Hopefully not. Strike fear into any sheep farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

wont see much of it where I am living reggie.

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    George you obviously have a passion for all things weather. And thats great. But you really shouldn't be forcing your speculations and opinions down other people's necks. There are no thicks here in F&F. Everyone knows how best to manage their own situation. Give us zome credit. And if the sh*t hits the fan it will be nobody but ourselves that will get us out of it. It wont be a keyboard we will want anyways.

Might be hard to believe, but some people, like myself, might actually like cold dry weather! And we should be entitled to our opinion.

I see George is commenting about us in the weather forum. Claims we are all in denial about what is to come.

Hopefully not. Strike fear into any sheep farmer.

Ah it's pretty much guarranteed now for the east and southeast of Ireland possibly the entire island.
    These are extremely low upper air temperatures coming and with it passing over the Irish sea added to that the air pressure, it's going to bring a lot of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I see George is commenting about us in the weather forum. Claims we are all in denial about what is to come.

He's caused more disruption to my farming than any weather ever will, its disgraceful he has not got banned yet.

Poster carded for Backseat moderation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

I'm just grateful for the first dry week in 9 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We'd be used to dealing with whatever weather comes, no point in worrying about what you can't control.
    Nothing will be neglected because of it anyway

He meant they had none !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Ah it's pretty much guarranteed now for the east and southeast of Ireland possibly the entire island.
    These are extremely low upper air temperatures coming and with it passing over the Irish sea added to that the air pressure, it's going to bring a lot of snow.

There was a good 4ft of snow in that video. Will we get that much snow ? Still hopeful we’ll escape some of it here in the Southwest.

Ah sure what about it. A few days of snow aintbtge end of the world. It's the cold I'd be worried about and that will dry the place so there's a silver lining in everything

He's caused more disruption to my farming than any weather ever will, its disgraceful he has not got banned yet.

You can ignore people you know but helping people with accurate forecasts based on ALL the data is about as far from disgraceful as I can think.

I’m glad my local farmers have the common sense to listen to those who know how to read weather data!

He meant they had none !

Ah

I can only imagine what it will be like in the Kerry mountains if half what is forecast actually happens.
    Hope the farmers are trying to get the sheep in

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement