Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Siobhán ramping the cold on Six One, “temperatures falling back significantly.” :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Bit of a ramp there on the RTE weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭patsy sally

wont throw the electric blanket out yet so..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

This is from a pro called Nick L over on netweather. Thought it was worth sharing.
    I wish you guys could see the precip charts on the EC. Serious disruption Tues and Wed on this run across swathes of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

Aye but an awful lot of this at our latitude is ENE or even NE
    So no worries there
    Also impossible to model little features that might develop in the flow like shallow lows
    Folks this air is COLD
    C
    O
    L
    D

Regarding upgrades or downgrades
    Anyone concerned should note that our snowflakes aren’t because from what Ive seen they’re falling through frozen air from cloud to ground or sea in anything I’ve seen

Yeah I was just replying purely in context the Irish Sea being large enough for lake effect. Pinpointing where/when it will snow is course a nowcast unless a feature pops up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭piplip87

Ah lads here I was backing "Spring Horses" for Cheltenham. Snow comes for the UK and Ireland first week of March, melts the second week leaving heavy ground. Usually I love the snow but if I don't have a big lump of money for Paddy's weekend shell take the brush to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

gabeeg wrote: »
    This is from a pro called Nick L over on netweather. Thought it was worth sharing.

Unless it comes from the Murrmeister I don't want to know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

The instability in the ECM 12z is an added bonus to an outstanding run. A snow fest if that run verifies. Holding the frigid air right to the end of the run also. Hopefully this time tomorrow similar output.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

Siobhan on a ramp here

"Temperatures falling back quite dramatically through Sunday"

"Strong signal now for extremely cold weather next week"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

If you are old enough to remember......

Thanks, Rebelbrowser. Great post, informative and a lovely look back. I was in London back then and I don't recall any great snow event that year. We must have missed it. :D
    sparrowcar wrote: »
    couldn't actually enjoy it at the time even though I would be considered a meteosexual.

Love that description. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The instability in the ECM 12z is an added bonus to an outstanding run. A snow fest if that run verifies. Holding the frigid air right to the end of the run also. Hopefully this time tomorrow similar output.

Would that just be for the east coast or countrywide if it verifies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

That ECM is just sublime

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Hopefully Dublin mountains get a bit of white gold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I just poured the last drops of a fine Scotch in celebration of the ECM coming to the rescue. Unfortunately it does mean I need to stock up again in advance of the upcoming lockdown / snow-in...:pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Jeju wrote: »
    Might mow the lawn Saturday, should be able to roll a bigger snowman base on Sunday without the longish grass.

Serious popcorn thread for the next week.
    Keep up the good discussion.

Does the grass not help the snow lie? I.e it keeps the snow away from the possibly warmer ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭esposito

Siobhán ramping the cold on Six One, “temperatures falling back significantly.” :D

I’ve noticed she loves to shake her head as she describes how cold it is. I think she secretly loves the cold weather though 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

Yes! HERE COMES THE SNNOOOWWWWWW

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think the 12z EC illustrates the potential issues we can encounter at this juncture, that shortwave running up to Iceland at 144 puts pressure on tip of the block at 168, meanwhile you have disturbances in the flow over the North Sea. It's for the good I reckon - will cool expectations and reinforce that this is still very much in the uncertain medium range timeframes
    The disturbances in the flow are something to be celebrated mainly. I notice some frequent posters in NetWeather repeatedly bringing that "threat" up. Don't we want an unstable flow with precipitation?

That shortwave near Iceland is definitely not what we want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Unless it comes from the Murrmeister I don't want to know.

Murr is a ramper. The other guy that was quoted is sober in his analysis. He is also a qualified meteorologist. So if he is coming out with that you know it's potentially epic times ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Murr is a ramper. The other guy that was quoted is sober in his analysis. He is also a qualified meteorologist. So if he is coming out with that you know it's potentially epic times ahead!

I wasn't being serious! I just find it funny the adulation. Life of Brian stuff!

• Advertisement

I wasn't being serious! I just find it funny the adulation. Life of Brian stuff!

Ah yes. Some folk hang on his every word:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Christ I dont know if i'm excited or afraid.
    I want mountains of snow to frolick in, but I also want all my animals to survive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

The disturbances in the flow are something to be celebrated mainly. I notice some frequent posters in NetWeather repeatedly bringing that "threat" up. Don't we want an unstable flow with precipitation?

Yes you want disturbances and shortwaves in the easterly flow
    They will bring snow
    You don't want a shortwave developing into a big low that runs from Iceland across the top of the high pushing it south
    Casual visitors understandably don't understand the difference and think of SW's as spoiler features
    That's in marginal set ups
    This isn't marginal
    A low cant currently do that though as the high is dominant
    Lets get this in and see what happens
    I'm guessing at the moment we get a week of it, a lull, and then a north/northeasterly followed by a reload
    But that's just hunch
    What we are heading into is new just like the 2010 experience was new

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The EC 12z moderates the 850s which may result in marginality near coasts. The shortwave over the top of block leads to a concern it may be stronger in upcoming runs and result in more high pressure influence and pushing the Siberian plunge further south. The shortwaves in the North Sea modify the flow reaching Ireland giving uppers around -9 instead of -13, which at this time of year could be difference between hail, wet snow and dry sticking snow

Yes shortwaves in the wrong place normally scuppers a cold spell, but in this case shortwaves are good because once that cold air is entrenched ( and movement will always be west of the general pattern), then we have shortwave snow making machines on our hands. The more shortwaves the better because the large Greenland block will keep us embedded in deep cold.
    That shortwaves over Iceland won't do anything to our block, it can't develop into a powerful low resulting in our blocked being sunk. I will eat my socks if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Youngpensioner

Yes shortwaves in the wrong place normally scuppers a cold spell, but in this case shortwaves are good because once that cold air is entrenched ( and movement will always be west of the general pattern), then we have shortwave snow making machines on our hands. The more shortwaves the better because the large Greenland block will keep us embedded in deep cold.
    That shortwaves over Iceland won't do anything to our block, it can't develop into a powerful low resulting in our blocked being sunk. I will eat my socks if it does.

I see the exact same post word for word on netweather with 29 likes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Youngpensioner

The EC 12z moderates the 850s which may result in marginality near coasts. The shortwave over the top of block leads to a concern it may be stronger in upcoming runs and result in more high pressure influence and pushing the Siberian plunge further south. The shortwaves in the North Sea modify the flow reaching Ireland giving uppers around -9 instead of -13, which at this time of year could be difference between hail, wet snow and dry sticking snow

Measured post. Echoes my fears.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭roosterman71

catrat12 wrote: »
    Hopefully Dublin mountains get a bit of white gold

Milk?

Given the source, -9 uppers should be more than enough to get powdery snow at this time of year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Given the source, -9 uppers should be more than enough to get powdery snow at this time of year

A lot of the 2010 upper air temperature synoptics don't seem that impressive to me given what had taken place. However, the thing with them is that the cold was well and truly locked in before them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement