Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Can you give an honest interpretation of what you see on the models now ?

Break it down like the good folks here ,

ECM
    GFS
    GEFS
    GEM
    ICON

I think you will find what they are all telling you is a cold blast of winter weather is due , how cold ,or snowy is another matter but again open to interpretation of what you think the models are showing
    No. Ill stick to met eirenn with the unramped view

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Youngpensioner

Its an automated weather site , just churns out what the models are showing any given day , I find them absolutely rubbish outside of 48 hours personally ,

Same as the ones that give data on smartphones or accuweather

Yes but it's based entirely on the ECM data

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

GFS ensembles are good the OP was a bit of an outlier I'd love to post charts to illustrate but I'm currently on a phone from the 70s that struggles to log in to boards at all.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Your post doesn't make the slightest bit of sense..... moving on.

I don't see how you mentioning Athenry recording -1 last night and met Éireann being wrong about it has anything to do with next week but I wasn't rude about it. My post made perfect sense, perhaps it was too hard for you to grasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Yr weather 10 day forecast is made entirely of the ECM run, that's why. People don't like the truth.

Yr.no isn't particularly good at the truth tbh. I remember it *completely* missed Ophelia for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Wow this thread is ruined already.. it's a real pity there can't be a 50 post rule that only allows you post in here once you've reached 50 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's obvious from reading this that none of you have had the joy of trying to feed cattle in the snow

I have done it in the past. Also worked outside in snow in other jobs.
    I still love snow and always will!

I was logging on today expecting the worse, but it seems we are still on course for some snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Wow this thread is ruined already.. it's a real pity there can't be a 50 post rule that only allows you post in here once you've reached 50 posts.

How would that work out?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Yes but it's based entirely on the ECM data

Doesn't matter its raw data , it not accurate , do you know how many possible solutions the ECM provides on each run ? and which one yr.no site uses ?

It use the mean of all the possible permutations , its an average basically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Whether you like it or not the it's made entirely on the ECM run. Met Éireann being wrong last night means nothing in regard to it. And 3c this time of the year will lead to a lot of snow melt.

Please read my last post and it should be clear why an automated programme like yr no is often inaccurate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

torres9kop wrote: »

Please do. Their website is www.met.ie

And btw no one here is saying we know more than (or anything like as much as) met eireann

Don't know why we are still replying to this fella :p or giving pessimists attention they're seeking.

So anyone who has a different opinion should just shut up? All I said was the ECM doesn't show anything extreme until day 10 which is fact. And to urge caution about it and I should shut up and I'm a pessimist?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

MJohnston wrote: »
    Yr.no isn't particularly good at the truth tbh. I remember it *completely* missed Ophelia for one.

It's fine for general details but not specific ones. I had snow recently and it said rain all day.

Doesn't matter its raw data , it not accurate , do you know how many possible solutions the ECM provides on each run ? and which one yr.no site uses ?

It use the mean of all the possible permutations , its an average basically

Yeah and those averages don't show anything extreme until 10. That's what I've been saying all along, don't see why I'm getting attacked for posting facts. Not by you, others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Yr weather 10 day forecast is made entirely of the ECM run, that's why. People don't like the truth.

As I mentioned near the start of this thread and a bit later on to yourself yr.no has been a bit off this winter, it use to be one of the better sites but has defiantly been wrong on at least 6 occasions I checked it this winter, in and out of Ireland.

It defiantly was not following the ECM precisely 24-48 hours ago...

Sure we'll see how it's going as the next one rolls out (right about now)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

So the ECM completely missed Ophelia then , right.

No, he said yr.no completely missed Ophelia. As pistolpetes said we do not know what algorithm yr.no.uses for it's ecm stuff.

Can we please get back on track now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

torres9kop wrote: »

The reason is you don't know , but are happy to cast judgement on others ability to do so .

ME don't ramp , they have a duty of care to people , even if there seeing what some in here see now the wont be giving any warning till there nearly 100% certain its going to happen ,

This forum as a hole is amateur and doesn't have that duty of care so we can speculate more on outcomes that we think may or may not happen , if your not happy with what you see then I suggest not reading or engaging with the thread

This is opinions now?

Ah Jesus.

I won't stoop to your level. Just commenting on the ECM shows, which is fact .

I won't stoop to your level. Just commenting on the ECM shows, which is fact .

MOD NOTE :
    WE will leave it here and get back on track please folks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Right lads it's ECM time. Fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

How would that work out?

Basically you can post in certain weather threads or discussions but can't post in let's say for example threads where charts or actual data are posted. Once you hit over 50 posts in the weather forum then you could post in dedicated event threads. It would remove all the trolling and "will it snow on the Navan road on Tue" posts.

Basically making reading a dedicated event thread easier. It works on many other forum websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

ECM rolling now. So far so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If the high doesn't sink over us :pac:

You know well that's highly unlikely- given the hemispheric profile. I understand you fearing the worst though- as charts do look too good to be true. However even if they do downgrade somewhat, i still think we are in for some sneachta
    next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Basically you can post in certain weather threads or discussions but can't post in let's say for example threads where charts or actual data are posted. Once you hit over 50 posts in the weather forum then you could post in dedicated event threads. It would remove all the trolling and "will it snow on the Navan road on Tue" posts.

Basically making reading a dedicated event thread easier. It works on many other forum websites.

Fair enough, does sound like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Colder air progression west looks quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

ECM looking good at 96 hours, anyone have any popcorn? :pac:

ECM0-96.GIF?20-0

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

It would be nice if the ground matched the sea for color next week.
    Mullaghmore, Co Sligo
    This Evening 16.20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Looking good so far

ECH1-96.GIF?20-0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

"The Model of Almighty" is looking brilliant so far anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

mobil 222 wrote: »
    It would be nice if the ground matched the sea for color next week.
    Mullaghmore, Co Sligo
    This Evening 16.20

Lovely photos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement