Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is someone within their rights to move you out of a prebooked seat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭irelandrover

IR's own regulations say - booking a seat means you need to be there 20 minutes before the off. If you're not, your seat is fair game.

Don't they say you have to be available for boarding, not that you actually have to board?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

IR's own regulations say - booking a seat means you need to be there 20 minutes before the off. If you're not, your seat is fair game.

Horrible attitude to have. There are lots of ways in life to get one up on somebody using grey area technicalities, but in doing so you’re a prick.
    If you you a decent person you would get out of somebody else’s seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Not on the train...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

shutup wrote: »
    Horrible attitude to have. There are lots of ways in life to get one up on somebody using grey area technicalities, but in doing so you’re a prick.

Posts like this are not acceptable here - play the ball and not the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Not on the train...

That's just what the guys at Heuston told me.

For the record I'd never sit in a prebooked seat - that isn't the issue. But if you've paid for a seat and IR decide only to put up the reservations over the seat minutes before the off - or even worse, not put them up at all, then it is unfair on passengers who may end up having to stand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

That's just what the guys at Heuston told me.

For the record I'd never sit in a prebooked seat - that isn't the issue. But if you've paid for a seat and IR decide only to put up the reservations over the seat minutes before the off - or even worse, not put them up at all, then it is unfair on passengers who may end up having to stand.

The train will not always be open to board 20 mins before time, some stations open gates less than 10 mins before departure...you're to be available to board 20 mins before departure.

The train will not always be open to board 20 mins before time, some stations open gates less than 10 mins before departure...you're to be available to board 20 mins before departure.

The issue I had the other Friday was a woman getting on the 5.25pm Limerick train at 5.23pm and demanding four people move. Unfair on us as we had to stand and unfair on her as she'd paid for something and was not getting the full service.

IR the bad guys for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

The issue I had the other Friday was a woman getting on the 5.25pm Limerick train at 5.23pm and demanding four people move. Unfair on us as we had to stand and unfair on her as she'd paid for something and was not getting the full service.

IR the bad guys for sure.

Ha that's the train I get, luckily I haven't been late for that.

Irish rail aren't the bad guys. It's people's attitudes that are the bad guy.
    It's like being back in school with some adults acting like children and the I was here first attitude.

If you are commuting the 2:15 hours to limerick each way, do yourself a favour and pre book a seat. If not a seat will come free after kildare.

You are not standing for the whole journey.

Ha that's the train I get, luckily I haven't been late for that.

Irish rail aren't the bad guys. It's people's attitudes that are the bad guy.
    It's like being back in school with some adults acting like children and the I was here first attitude.

If you are commuting the 2:15 hours to limerick each way, do yourself a favour and pre book a seat. If not a seat will come free after kildare.

You are not standing for the whole journey.

Near, enough. I was standing from Heuston to Portarlington and then finally got a seat for the ten minutes to Portlaoise.

There's zero wrong with wanting a seat after working a full day, I fail to see why EXTRA should be paid. If Irish Rail did their jobs - yes, they ARE the bad guys in this scenario - then the booked seats would be clearly marked and no one would sit in them.

However, after innocently taking a seat and after 20 minutes being turfed out - when the names are STILL not on board - and having to stand, that's not acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

At the end of the day if they booked it they deserve it. You can cry 20 mins all you want but your in the wrong.

Maybe try reserving a seat yourself

• Advertisement

Near, enough. I was standing from Heuston to Portarlington and then finally got a seat for the ten minutes to Portlaoise.

There's zero wrong with wanting a seat after working a full day, I fail to see why EXTRA should be paid. If Irish Rail did their jobs - yes, they ARE the bad guys in this scenario - then the booked seats would be clearly marked and no one would sit in them.

However, after innocently taking a seat and after 20 minutes being turfed out - when the names are STILL not on board - and having to stand, that's not acceptable.

Everyone is working a full day on that train and rushing to make it on time champ. You're nothing special to anyone else on that train.
    Most people work til 5.

Extra is being paid so you can rest your weary bones. Might be a good investment

Everyone is working a full day on that train and rushing to make it on time champ. You're nothing special to anyone else on that train.
    Most people work til 5.

Extra is being paid so you can rest your weary bones. Might be a good investment

Wanna lose the sarcasm "champ" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Most people work til 5.

Not everyone who boards an evening train has worked a full day. Indeed, some have never worked a full day in their lives.

Emme wrote: »
    Not everyone who boards an evening train has worked a full day. Indeed, some have never worked a full day in their lives.

Applause!!!!!!

Indeed the "lady" concerned who kicked four of us from the seat no doubt has a Facebook page declaring themselves "full time mummy of two little angles" (sic)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,736 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe there should be a separate thread 'should non-taxpayers be allowed use public transport' because this one keeps coming back to this topic.

I've been on that train hundreds of times. The vast vast majority is people like me and peterparker.

maybe there should be a separate thread 'should non-taxpayers be allowed use public transport' because this one keeps coming back to this topic.

Only if they pay their way.

So you're the guy who I will be sitting on for a few hours, cool. Btw, I'm 20 stone

And yes, I would

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I'm sure you got to sit down at some stage of the day.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I'm sure you got to sit down at some stage of the day.

Yeah that 35 minutes at 1pm cured my arthritis. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

If people can't act civil in this thread they can expect an infraction.

For those already given an infraction and are still uncivil, they can expect a holiday from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Irish Rail's regulations are meaningless.
    Some do regardless with the usual excuses being "It wasn't on when i sat down" or " I didn't see it".

I agree some do.
    Where do you get the 1 hour to load the reservations from?

From the time I board to when they come on. I'm sure in most cases they loading of data has already started but more often than not reservations appear 30 minutes into a journey or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Irish Rail's regulations are meaningless.

I agree some do.

From the time I board to when they come on. I'm sure in most cases they loading of data has already started but more often than not reservations appear 30 minutes into a journey or not at all.

All it takes is the train to be running and the id entered and they should come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

All it takes is the train to be running and the id entered and they should come up.

Well the issue is the ID is not been entered early enough before boarding or the train software is the issue and the process to load names. The ID is related to audit announcements as well?

Drivers won;t enter an ID in the middle of a journey unless they haven't so clearly the ID aspect isn't the core issue here.

I don't get why sometimes they're there immediately and on a few occasions as I alight the train almost an hour later, they're only just being displayed.

IT issues or did the driver forget ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Why can’t they be loaded from a central office when the train is being cleaned from previous journey?

joeysoap wrote: »
    Why can’t they be loaded from a central office when the train is being cleaned from previous journey?

Train is turned off I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Train is turned off I'd say.

If you turn off your phone your not on say WatsApp but when you turn it on again any messages left there automatically feed in. Could they not have something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

So you're the guy who I will be sitting on for a few hours, cool. Btw, I'm 20 stone

And yes, I would

There are people who pay for that sort of thing, if you were good enough at it you could earn enough to buy yourself a chauffeur driven limo and you wouldn't have to take the train.

• Advertisement

Why would I do that. ?I'd refuse to move and an inspector would be called. Not the other parties fault,but it's not mine either.

Ugh, just give the seat to the person who booked it, and think of someone other than yourself.

Advertisement