Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread 2 (car videos only, no commenting on videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

riemann wrote: »
    That is false.

Look at the road markings next time.

It's can be useful to take some refresher driving lessons if you are unsure of the rules of the road. I know my Granny did so and she found it very useful.

Something to consider.

Hmm, I'll reign in what I really think of your ignorant comment there sunshine.

The roadmarkings do not indicate both lanes are for driving straight ahead. They are showing traffic must stay in the right lane until bus lane ends coming to the roundabout.

Either way the cam car had a clear entrance to the roundabout so should have stayed left, but stayed right and was undercut because of it.

Simple to understand for most i would have thought but your intelligence, or lack of, is plain to see.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I'm almost certain I read recently that you can use the right lane to go straight if the left lane has traffic in it. I think it was RotR

Oh look, another mensa candidate, with a grasp of sarcasm too.

They're missing 1 char from the string. So it leads nowhere, just a copy/paste mistake.
    Exactly....bloody mouse missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

riemann wrote: »
    iIt's can be useful to take some refresher driving lessons if you are unsure of the rules of the road. I know my Granny did so and she found it very useful.

You should ask your granny to buy you some lessons from said instructor for your Christmas stocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

Polish friends to the rescue!

Seems like everyone there has forgotten how to drive on snow since the spring.
    Or they still have summer tyres on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

On the way home from work this evening... Very close one for the poor chap sitting at the lights. I wonder did he even realise how close he came to being rear ended at speed. Idiot driver...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    On the way home from work this evening... Very close one for the poor chap sitting at the lights. I wonder did he even realise how close he came to being rear ended at speed. Idiot driver...

Hope their phone wasn't damaged when they dropped it!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

I recall when doing my driving lessons the instructor told me to always look at the road marking as the rules for every roundabout can be totally different to the next one.
    I asked him this question as one roundabout we went on you could go straight in both the left and right lane, but the next roundabout you could not go straight in the right lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭kirving

Wailin wrote: »
    Hmm, I'll reign in what I really think of your ignorant comment there sunshine.

The roadmarkings do not indicate both lanes are for driving straight ahead. They are showing traffic must stay in the right lane until bus lane ends coming to the roundabout.

What does the arrow on the right hand side, pointing straight, mean?

467495.png
    Either way the cam car had a clear entrance to the roundabout so should have stayed left, but stayed right and was undercut because of it.

I disagree entirely. Within 63 frames (just over 2 seconds) of the bus lane ending, Kintaro Hattori was undertaken by a car travelling at speed. If they moved left into the path of the car and immediately braked for the roundabout, who would be at fault?

In my view, diving left the second the bus lane ends could have caused a collision.
    Simple to understand for most i would have thought but your intelligence, or lack of, is plain to see.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm going to go with a design issue on that roundabout.

You can see here on a nearby roundabout, the markings that were interpreted as go straight in both lanes are the end of bus lane markings. In the abscence of lane markings entering the roundabout the general keep left applies for going straight ahead.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3866241,-6.4019009,3a,75y,137.45h,81.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGKWHCcRpG9lPp_UL6jelNA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,352 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ahh jaysus give over with the rules of the road at roundabouts. If you're confused Google it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I'm almost certain I read recently that you can use the right lane to go straight if the left lane has traffic in it. I think it was RotR

I believe it states that if the left lane is blocked with stationary traffic waiting to turn left at a roundabout, you may use the marked right turn lane to go straight on. I can't find it though, but I think that was the gist of it.

Isambard wrote: »
    I believe it states that if the left lane is blocked with stationary traffic waiting to turn left at a roundabout, you may use the marked right turn lane to go straight on. I can't find it though, but I think that was the gist of it.

Because it's absolute nonsense is the reason why you can't find any reference to this.

Moving swiftly on...poor cat!

One just for a certain special someone at 7:50

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭kirving

mookishboy wrote: »

Which is an entirely different roundabout to the video posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Oh look, another mensa candidate, with a grasp of sarcasm too.

Don't know why you feel the need to make smart comments. I was just stating what I read. Whether it's true or not is another story.
    Isambard wrote: »

Because it's absolute nonsense is the reason why you can't find any reference to this.

Here's the reference. Before calling BS on someone, try make sure it doesn't exist first.

QAGkBRB.jpg

Ohh ffs!!!
    Its a dash cam thread!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

mookishboy wrote: »

That was my point, at this roundabout there is the use both lanes at the end of buslane followed by the left lane goes left, right lane goes straight, markings on the road. This overrides the general principal of left lane is the straight lane. The second set of arrows is missing from the cam roundabout.

Which is an entirely different roundabout to the video posted.

It's 400m earlier in the direction of travel, as good as any other roundabout to demonstrate that the design could be better on the one from the video. To address DaveyDave, clearly there was no line of traffic to justify the going straight from the right lane, if the was the cam car would of not been undertaken.

Don't know why you feel the need to make smart comments. I was just stating what I read. Whether it's true or not is another story.

Apologies Dave, I read that initially as a loaded sarcastic comment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I recall when doing my driving lessons the instructor told me to always look at the road marking as the rules for every roundabout can be totally different to the next one.
    I asked him this question as one roundabout we went on you could go straight in both the left and right lane, but the next roundabout you could not go straight in the right lane.
    Case in point around that roundabout. The roundabout immediately before that one has the left lane as left turn only with the right lane as straight and right. Bizarrely, that roundabout is huge with two lanes along with two lanes on entry and exit. It's an absolute sh!tshow around there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

josip wrote: »
    Polish friends to the rescue!

Seems like everyone there has forgotten how to drive on snow since the spring.
    Or they still have summer tyres on.

They are hardly capable of any type of rescue driving like that :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Jaysus another few pages of roundabouts.
    I thought we got over them yonks ago.

Here's the reference. Before calling BS on someone, try make sure it doesn't exist first.

That's when there's two lanes on exit, as per the diagram shown.

It's really not complex, that I share the road with so many with poor roundabout etiquette is terrifying, put simply;

If there's no road markings, and only one lane on exit, left-hand lane is for left and straight ahead, right-hand lane for turning right only, does not matter if there's traffic. If there's only one exit, you cannot use right-hand lane for straight ahead unless road markings dictate otherwise.

I'll give you an example, near my office there's a dual-carriageway that terminates into a roundabout with 3 one-lane exits; left, a busy Village, straight-ahead, a Business Campus, and right, a very small housing estate. Every morning traffic is backed up in the left-hand lane to enter either said Campus or heading for the Village, but you do get the odd numpty who believes they're much too important for traffic so use the right-hand lane to exit straight. This has caused many collisions and near-misses over the years as, and this is the part those who misunderstand the ROR can't seem to grasp, if you have two people both heading straight for the same one-lane exit, the only way the car in the right-hand lane can go straight is to cross into the left-hand lane mid-roundabout causing a collision, or the very least, forcing one driver to slam on the brakes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ambulance on his way to a serious accident:

own channel on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Seve OB wrote: »
    Jaysus another few pages of roundabouts.
    I thought we got over them yonks ago.

Sorry, guess I should have put it in the learning to drive forum... certainly somewhere else. Feel free to move mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

fritzelly wrote: »
    Moving swiftly on...poor cat!

One just for a certain special someone at 7:50

The poor guy who gets run over by two pick ups and a third appears in frame ready to have a go too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Compilation ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

dickwod1 wrote:
    Compilation ...

A lot of hilarious clips, Sgt castle loves to drive fast :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement