Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread 2 (car videos only, no commenting on videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Spook_ie wrote: »
    And we ACTUALLY allow Aussie drivers to exchange their licenses for Irish ones, or do they just have a lot of Russian immigration? :D

https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign-licences.html#to-apply-to-exchange-a-foreign-driving-licence-issued-by-a-recognised-state

It's a lot worse than that, Ireland allows exchange of Taiwanese licenses for Irish ones! Until very recently the test in Taiwan only involved driving around a glorified carpark, they've now added a short road driving portion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Spook_ie wrote: »
    And we ACTUALLY allow Aussie drivers to exchange their licenses for Irish ones,
    SuperS54 wrote: »
    It's a lot worse than that, Ireland allows exchange of Taiwanese licenses for Irish ones! Until very recently the test in Taiwan only involved driving around a glorified carpark, they've now added a short road driving portion.

And have in mind as well how many countries allow to exchange Irish licence into theirs, even though so many Irish people got their licence without even attending a driving test, not to mention that only recently obligatory driving lessons were introduced, and generally Irish drivers are used to zero enforcement of any possible rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,900 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

nothing wrong with Aussie driving in my experience in Brisbane. Very law abiding

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭josip

CiniO wrote: »
    And have in mind as well how many countries allow to exchange Irish licence into theirs, even though so many Irish people got their licence without even attending a driving test

As far as I know 1964 was the last year you could do that?

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-talk/why-roads-are-safer-after-50-years-of-the-driving-test-30062291.html

Someone who was 18 in 1964 would now be 82 and not a likely candidate to be emigrating and exchanging their driving licence.

I see our "Polish Friends" are now up to episode 125 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

josip wrote: »

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-talk/why-roads-are-safer-after-50-years-of-the-driving-test-30062291.html

Someone who was 18 in 1964 would now be 82 and not a likely candidate to be emigrating and exchanging their driving licence.
    Still possible in 1979. From your link:

The test hit a few bumps along the way. In 1979 anywhere from 25,000 to 50,000 driving licences were given out to those who had never taken a test. There had been a lengthy postal strike and no applications could be received or posted. Not many had telephones back then (two years to get one installed), so tests could not even be arranged by phone. This led to a huge backlog. The then Environment Minister, Sylvester Barrett decided the best way to sort it out was to declare an amnesty. So a full driving licence was given to candidates who held a second provisional licence, as it was called then.

I see our "Polish Friends" are now up to episode 125 :D

I'm Irish now, so Polish affairs are bit further away for me at the moment.

But those Polish friends from episode 125 are nothing comparing to those Polish friends who were racing their supercars in Slovakia and killed an innocent Skoda driver.

https://www.supercartribe.com/innocent-motorist-dies-after-porsche-and-ferrari-crash-in-slovakia/

All three arrested, and I strongly hope at least 2 will spend a good while behind bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Another day, another overtake. The stretch of road is here, surely it's a nice safe stretch of road isn't it...

There was a sticker on the back: "It's no egg, but she's some yolk" more like a complete eggplant behind the wheel!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Ardent

Another day, another overtake. The stretch of road is here, surely it's a nice safe stretch of road isn't it...

There was a sticker on the back: "It's no egg, but she's some yolk" more like a complete eggplant behind the wheel!

The only thing interesting about this video is the music. Who is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Ardent wrote: »
    The only thing interesting about this video is the music. Who is it?

ZZ Top - Enjoy and get it on

As a side note, I've given up listening to contemporary radio in the car for journeys longer than a few minutes (unless I'm heading to the local shop as there's no point putting on something else) and solely listen to podcasts/spotify, which so happens to be mostly ZZ Top :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

CiniO wrote: »
    Still possible in 1979. From your link:

I'm Irish now, so Polish affairs are bit further away for me at the moment.

But those Polish friends from episode 125 are nothing comparing to those Polish friends who were racing their supercars in Slovakia and killed an innocent Skoda driver.

https://www.supercartribe.com/innocent-motorist-dies-after-porsche-and-ferrari-crash-in-slovakia/

All three arrested, and I strongly hope at least 2 will spend a good while behind bars.

This type of overtaking in Poland is so common it's scary. You're always on the lookout for cars in the wrong lane when you are driving, no matter whether it's coming around a bend or on a long straight. We had at least one closer than I'd like encounter when there last month on a long straight section of road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

josip wrote: »

Someone who was 18 in 1964 would now be 82

I'm not the best at maths but if someone was born in 1946 they would be 72 this year. :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Top comment on Dumpert mentions "dashcamsyndroom" - a good name for the type of driver who's more interested in being right or getting footage than letting small stuff go. You see a lot of them on the UK compilations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭josip

Pretzill wrote: »
    I'm not the best at maths but if someone was born in 1946 they would be 72 this year. :o

Fake maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Top comment on Dumpert mentions "dashcamsyndroom" - a good name for the type of driver who's more interested in being right or getting footage than letting small stuff go. You see a lot of them on the UK compilations.

other than the truck blocking the yellow box the porsche would have been entitled to come out anyway.

Brake testing is just silly though (likewise fo booting it down the middle if two lanes mind you!)

GreeBo wrote: »
    other than the truck blocking the yellow box the porsche would have been entitled to come out anyway.
    Not really. His entitlement was to wait as he was turning right.
    And seeing as he was so quick behind the dash cammer, the Porsche has pushed himself in before the next car or there was no next car.

Perssonally If there are a million other cars behind me, i would have let him in. if there is no car behind me, he can wait.

https://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7536857/8e558f05/gekkie_vraagt_om_remtest.html

You can skip the last 15 secs or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

i'd have gone straight into the back of the Porsche and handed the video to the cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Has dumpert stopped working on anyone elses phone?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Patww79 wrote: »
    Has dumpert stopped working on anyone elses phone?

Yeah, dumpert won't work on my phone at all for the last few days. Android 7 for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yellow boxes are for a clear way thru the traffic (i.e. at junctions except in Ireland), not to give someone priority joining the lane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There was a definite swing across onto the hashes too after they passed the truck, presumably to stop the Porsche getting past.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

What is it with obeying the speed limit and tailgaters? There is a stretch of road which I drive to work on, admittedly I think 50kph is too slow for it but even doing 55-60 (largely because there were Gardai on it a couple of weeks ago admittedly) results in either tailgaters or people overtaking in the ghost island.
    It bugs the **** out of me.....

fritzelly wrote: »
    Yellow boxes are for a clear way thru the traffic (i.e. at junctions except in Ireland), not to give someone priority joining the lane

I didnt say he would have priority, I said he would be entitled to join via the yellow box (without blocking anyone else of course)

inforfun wrote: »
    Not really. His entitlement was to wait as he was turning right.
    And seeing as he was so quick behind the dash cammer, the Porsche has pushed himself in before the next car or there was no next car.
    As long as he is not blocking anyone from entering, I dont see the issue with him using the box to exit?
    Perssonally If there are a million other cars behind me, i would have let him in. if there is no car behind me, he can wait.

My rules are very simple, I will never stop to let someone out, but if traffic in my lane is stopped I will let people out.

Nothing more infuriating than someone in front of you stopping when your light is green to let someone out. Red lights are the time to let people out!

As long as he is not blocking anyone from entering, I dont see the issue with him using the box to exit?

If he had gone straight ahead, indeed no problem.
    But he would have put his arse in the yellow box if that truck hadnt done so already.
    If i have to keep that box clear, so does mr Porsche.

If he had gone straight ahead, indeed no problem.
    But he would have put his arse in the yellow box if that truck hadnt done so already.
    If i have to keep that box clear, so does mr Porsche.

I'd have no problem with him blocking *his lane* of the yellow box, as he wont be preventing anyone from going anywhere.

Blocking the (in this case) left side of the box would of course block others from entering the cark park which would be a no-no.

You can go your own way...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Every time I'm in Tesco Liffey Valley I see this.

• Advertisement

markc1184 wrote: »
    Every time I'm in Tesco Liffey Valley I see this.

It was my first time there, so new to me :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement