Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread 2 (car videos only, no commenting on videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Like what, please elaborate on what warrants such dangerous behavior?
    Go on...

People can get a red mist over many things, if he'd reached through my window and stole my new IPhone X would I chase him, probably. If he'd done a wanker sign at me for some perceived oversight while I'm driving then no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

What might a cyclist do that would warrant being targeted and hit with a car? Please suggest a few likely examples.

Apparently the cyclist broke his door mirror. The driver shouldn't have gone after him, it's just a cyclist causing criminal damage because he can escape without identification.

In my view, the driver wasn't trying to hit the cyclist. He was positioning his car in front of the cyclist, trying to stop him. The cyclist was determined to get away though.

But, you know, whatever... the poor defenceless cyclist, fifteen tonnes of solid steel, lunatic driver etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Apparently the cyclist broke his door mirror. The driver shouldn't have gone after him, it's just a cyclist causing criminal damage because he can escape without identification.

In my view, the driver wasn't trying to hit the cyclist. He was positioning his car in front of the cyclist, trying to stop him. The cyclist was determined to get away though.

But, you know, whatever... the poor defenceless cyclist, fifteen tonnes of solid steel, lunatic driver etc.

So you automatically believe that the cyclist caused criminal damage for no other reason than because he could? You'd make an excellent juror.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Draw your own conclusions on this idiot.. https://youtu.be/uHO5A8VleB0

Do you not know that the ghost island is the new overtaking lane? I see this happening everywhere.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Draw your own conclusions on this idiot.. https://youtu.be/uHO5A8VleB0

Only if i can use a hammer and chisel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Precisely!
    Broken mirror vs broken leg. ... let me think about that for a sec ..

As somebody said above, there are wrongs on both sides, why can't people just be reasonable. If the cyclist broke his mirror, pay to get it fixed.
    It is completely unreasonable thing to break somebody's mirror and think it is OK to cycle away. There is no justifying the reaction, but the cause of the reaction was unreasonable too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Where on earth are people getting that the cyclist broke the driver's mirror?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Front page of The Star I think.

Apparently the cyclist knocked the casing off the wing mirror.

Driver claims that, didn't say why, I doubt it was a random act with no reasoning behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

https://twitter.com/IsFearrAnStar/status/1048104998817746945

I am both a cyclist and a car driver. If I drove into the back of a car with my car and knocked a bumper, I would expect to have to pay for it. If I was cycling and did similar to a car, or knocked off mirror, etc - whatever, I would expect to do the same.

What is it about cyclists that some of them think they can do as they please when they please? I have said for a long time we should have some form of identification on cyclists, it is the wild west out there and with the (welcome I should add) increasing popularity of cycling, they need to accept that they have a responsibility to 1. obey the rules of the road 2. behave responsibly, including issues like this.

If this was a cyclist knocked off by a hit-and-run, there would (rightly) be uproar among the cycling community. When it is the other way around, it is as if "ah sure it was only an African taxi driver, those lads think they own the road", or whatever pathetic justification they might try to make.

Sorry, but 2 wrongs have never made a right nor never will.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I am both a cyclist and a car driver. If I drove into the back of a car with my car and knocked a bumper, I would expect to have to pay for it. If I was cycling and did similar to a car, or knocked off mirror, etc - whatever, I would expect to do the same.

What is it about cyclists that some of them think they can do as they please when they please? I have said for a long time we should have some form of identification on cyclists, it is the wild west out there and with the (welcome I should add) increasing popularity of cycling, they need to accept that they have a responsibility to 1. obey the rules of the road 2. behave responsibly, including issues like this.

If this was a cyclist knocked off by a hit-and-run, there would (rightly) be uproar among the cycling community. When it is the other way around, it is as if "ah sure it was only an African taxi driver, those lads think they own the road", or whatever pathetic justification they might try to make.

Sorry, but 2 wrongs have never made a right nor never will.

There's your typical rant, ticks all the boxes, without actually knowing what happened in this instance. Edit: sorry, no, I almost missed the new element you added into it, racism. Bonus points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's your typical rant, ticks all the boxes, without actually knowing what happened in this instance.

i wouldn't call it a rant tbh

ganmo wrote: »
    i wouldn't call it a rant tbh

Its pretty ranty to be fair.

Car driver does something stupid, 24 hours later claims the cyclist started it and poster on here starts in on all cyclists.

If it walks like a duck...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,284 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's your typical rant, ticks all the boxes, without actually knowing what happened in this instance. Edit: sorry, no, I almost missed the new element you added into it, racism. Bonus points.

This post sounds more of a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

amcalester wrote: »
    Its pretty ranty to be fair.

Car driver does something stupid, 24 hours later claims the cyclist started it and poster on here starts in on all cyclists.

If it walks like a duck...

take a look at the 7th word of the 2nd paragraph

I think re-reading the whole thing would be a better idea, and without the biased blaming attitude he has.

I said everybody was wrong, and I said that both as a cyclist and a car driver.

And that qualifier is pretty much immediately forgotten when he starts on the identification numbers and
    they need to accept that they have a responsibility to 1. obey the rules of the road 2. behave responsibly, including issues like this.

Anyway these posts will probably be deleted by the mods and we'll never find out what actually happened so no point arguing about it.

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote: »
    And that qualifier is pretty much immediately forgotten when he starts on the identification numbers and

Anyway these posts will probably be deleted by the mods and we'll never find out what actually happened so no point arguing about it.

And what bit of

"I am both a cyclist and a car driver. If I drove into the back of a car with my car and knocked a bumper, I would expect to have to pay for it. If I was cycling and did similar to a car, or knocked off mirror, etc - whatever, I would expect to do the same."

is wrong or didn't you understand? And what bit of your quote above re obeying the rules of the road, etc is wrong?

And what bit of

"I am both a cyclist and a car driver. If I drove into the back of a car with my car and knocked a bumper, I would expect to have to pay for it. If I was cycling and did similar to a car, or knocked off mirror, etc - whatever, I would expect to do the same."

is wrong or didn't you understand? And what bit of your quote above re obeying the rules of the road, etc is wrong?

Nah, its the presumption in your post that it's only among cyclists that people do as they chose which is obviously not the case.

And
    I am both a cyclist and a car driver.

is the motoring equivalent of
    some of my best friends are black

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

inforfun wrote: »

you gotta wonder about the people in this clip.
    that was a fair aul smash, and all they are concerned with is walking around the bus to get across the road

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

More videos and less chitchat.

Specifically, can we leave the cyclist/taxi debate, which has continued for a few pages now.

Seve OB wrote: »
    you gotta wonder about the people in this clip.
    that was a fair aul smash, and all they are concerned with is walking around the bus to get across the road

Its raining!! Would you hang around in that downpour? Probably not much they can do and I am sure emergency services were on the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

another one.
    not a big deal, but white hyundai could be more nice on roundabouts. Got some horn signal from me and from white van on next roundabout.

https://youtu.be/xdiC31weNJY

Autopilot bailed out with the parachute!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

tedpan wrote: »

And we ACTUALLY allow Aussie drivers to exchange their licenses for Irish ones, or do they just have a lot of Russian immigration? :D

https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign-licences.html#to-apply-to-exchange-a-foreign-driving-licence-issued-by-a-recognised-state

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

There's an awful lot of not looking where you're going in that Aussie vid -

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement