Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble on Tory Island...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Whoarewe wrote: »
    “Could easily just be a "we don't like change!" complaint from locals who've gotten friendly with the last captain. “

“the current boat owner may simply be enlisting family and friends to support his position after he lost the tender.”

What would you call this?

The current boat owner lives on the mainland and has no family on the island. Sure he might have some friends on the island after doing a good job these last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Whoarewe

Nomis21 wrote: »
    The current boat owner lives on the mainland and has no family on the island. Sure he might have some friends on the island after doing a good job these last few years.

Yeah exactly, he has absolutely nothing to do with Tory or it’s people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Plenty of Irish Islanders were forced to leave their Islands over the years, and that's exactly the way the haters like it.

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    Plenty of Irish Islanders were forced to leave their Islands over the years, and that's exactly the way the haters like it.

It was a huge shame that many families left Tory island back in the 1980s. It was a massive blow. All down to the government again, not providing the proper facilities. It’s a shame and disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It was a huge shame that many families left Tory island back in the 1980s. It was a massive blow. All down to the government again, not providing the proper facilities. It’s a shame and disgrace

Facilities for what? I don't mean to be disrespectful but there is not a lot to keep a bigger population there. Short of getting a dancing seal or something unique from a tourism perspective. It's a beautiful island but a bit barren for agriculture and a bit remote for most industries.

• Advertisement

Facilities for what? I don't mean to be disrespectful but there is not a lot to keep a bigger population there. Short of getting a dancing seal or something unique from a tourism perspective. It's a beautiful island but a bit barren for agriculture and a bit remote for most industries.

It’s home for the people of Tory. It couldn’t be any simpler than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Hadnt half the country emigrated in the 80's, it wasnt just the island.

The whole irish economy was in a hoop.

Hadnt half the country emigrated in the 80's, it wasnt just the island.

The whole irish economy was in a hoop.

Who do you think is at fault for that?

Who do you think is at fault for that?

The electorate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭PRidley

From the stories I’ve heard from islanders the current boat service was being complained about by islanders for years.

“Could easily just be a "we don't like change!" complaint from locals who've gotten friendly with the last captain. “

“the current boat owner may simply be enlisting family and friends to support his position after he lost the tender.”

What would you call this?

I call them possible reasons for the “unhappiness” of the Tory islanders. I do not think they are lies. Why do you think they are?

In the absence of facts which show why the proposed boat is not suitable posters will naturally assume there is another agenda. It would serve the Tory community well for one of their experts in maritime matters to post the relevant problems with the proposed vessel on this forum.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Yes, we found out Charlie and his pals had to press their charvet shirts, to them those were the real pressing issues.

This thread is about the people of Tory wanting best for their Island. Not about cars, tax, Insurance and nct. Totally off the point. Keep that for another day.

It is not really off the point.

If the people of Tory are looking for a better boat it will cost more money. The government get money from taxes which includes road taxes. Why should the people of Tory expect the best when they don’t see the need to pay their taxes.

Re insurance - people who pay insurance are contributing to the fund for uninsured drivers. Inviting more tourists onto your island with the better boat you want will increase the risk of accidents involving uninsured drivers. Law abiding citizens will end up paying more because of that increased risk.

So these things are all relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

So after 280 odd posts discussing this, it all seems to come down to "the boat is too old".
    If there's some other better reason, like issues with docking or the new vessel being a lot less comfortable or stable then I'd love to hear it.
    Hopefully the islanders position will be better articulated at the protest on Wednesday.

It’s home for the people of Tory. It couldn’t be any simpler than that.

I don’t think there are many people who would disagree with that sentiment.

But whether we like it or not the reality is that there is very little to keep younger people in the more remote parts of our country. This also applies in the mainland. There are many, many people who would like to live in the remote areas which they call home but because they have to pay bills and work they have to move to where the work is.

Unfortunately it is the same in Tory. It is a matter for the Tory people to create their own opportunities to make their island survive. It is hard to understand why an islander did apply to run the ferry - or maybe they did.

An plenty of Irish mainlanders were forced to leave the country too. I think your use of terms like “haters” is inappropriate in this discussion.

I think the people who do not see your - or the Tory islanders - point of view would be willing to consider logical, reasoned argument with backup facts as to why the new boat isn’t suitable. All you have offered in this entire thread are baseless opinions and dismissive statements. I don’t believe it is doing your argument any good whatsoever.

PRidley wrote: »
    An plenty of Irish mainlanders were forced to leave the country too. I think your use of terms like “haters” is inappropriate in this discussion.

I think the people who do not see your - or the Tory islanders - point of view would be willing to consider logical, reasoned argument with backup facts as to why the new boat isn’t suitable. All you have offered in this entire thread are baseless opinions and dismissive statements. I don’t believe it is doing your argument any good whatsoever.

I'm sure a new reg like yourself will get over it and get another contract for the old dear.

I'm sure a new reg like yourself will get over it and get another contract for the old dear.

Perhaps you might like to think about why your getting so little support here.

Perhaps you might like to think about why your getting so little support here.

Haters are going to hate, nothing spectacular there. I just like exposing it :)

• Advertisement

Haters are going to hate, nothing spectacular there. I just like exposing it :)

You have exposed nothing. I have no particular grudge against the islanders.

People will support you if you can put up a decent argument against the new arrangement.

But you havent.

You have exposed nothing. I have no particular grudge against the islanders.

People will support you if you can put up a decent argument against the new arrangement.

But you havent.

Funny how you don't ask the actual poster from Tory posting here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Your not that long here yourself.!!!
    Round about the time the contract news broke.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

From the stories I’ve heard from islanders the current boat service was being complained about by islanders for years.

And what where the complaints about, do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Loinnir9

I am a Tory Islander and Tory is my home. Island life is a completely different way of living, and until you've experienced it you have no idea what it's like and what challenges we face on a day-to-day basis. One thing that has never changed is our dependence on the ferry service. The sea is our main means of transport of food and other goods, travel and tourism.

My family, along with many others, depends heavily on the ferry service to return home to Tory regularly. Many islanders live and work on the mainland, in Falcarragh and Letterkenny, and use the ferry to get home on the weekends and for holidays. Islanders pay taxes, just as any other Irish citizen, so why should we be denied a decent service to bring us home at the weekends, just like other people from rural areas working in cities and going home at the weekends? We need a service that we can rely on and a boat that we know is safe - why should we be denied a safe, reliable service?

The Tormór is the current ferry which is in service. The Tormór was purpose-built for the treacherous weather conditions of the Tory Channel. The proposed new ferry, the Queen of Aran, is an old cast-off from the Aran Islands, and the Aran Islanders were happy to see her go because they were provided with a new, better ferry service when she left. The Queen of Aran has only ever been used in sheltered bays. There's no comparison between the two ferries - why should Tory have to make do with the Aran Islands' leftovers?

In bad weather, the Queen of Aran will not be safe to travel on. The shape of the boat is what makes her unsuitable for the route. The Queen of Aran is taller than the Tormór, which means that the wind will catch it at the top, making for a much rougher journey. As can be seen from pictures posted previously, she has high sides with no railings, which will also trap wind. The Tormór was built with railings all around it to allow the wind to escape and to allow waves to wash in and out, which results in minimal rolling. Of course, due to the fact that the route is through the wild, open Atlantic, it is still a rough journey and choppiness is to be expected, but the shape and design of the Tormór reduces this as much as possible.

The smaller fast ferry, the Whispering Dawn, runs when weather conditions are unsuitable for the Tormór, allowing a ferry service even in very unfavourable weather. The Queen of Aran simply can't compete with the current service.

The refurbishments which the Queen of Aran has undergone involved being fitted with new engines, as well as 'airline seating and flat-screen TVs'. Tory Islanders couldn't care less about how modern the ferry is as long as it is safe and suited for the journey, which the Queen of Aran clearly is not!

We are well used to being stuck on the island with no ferry service for days at a time when the sea is rough. The Queen of Aran will not be able to navigate the weather conditions that the Tormór and the Whispering Dawn can, which means that this type of occurrence will become all the more common.

The current contract-holder is not the owner of the hotel on the island, nor has the owner of the hotel ever held the contract for the ferry service. The man you are referring to, Patrick Doohan, isn't even the current owner of the hotel on Tory. Mr Doohan did run a small fast ferry between Magheroarty and Tory for a number of years, but he did not hold the official contract to do so and hasn't run this service in years.

The island population has been rising in recent years, with a naíonra even opening on the island recently, but should the Queen of Aran come into service many young families will be faced with having to uproot and move to the mainland. No parents want to risk their childrens' lives in order to reach essential services like hospitals or even just to visit family, so naturally the most viable option is to move to mainland Donegal. But why should we bother protecting the island's population? Who cares if Tory becomes a 'retirement island'? Well, you should care.

Tory is a thriving Gaeltacht. Children raised on the island are native Irish speakers and also benefit from the excellent teacher-pupil ratio when they go to school on the island. Recently, families have moved from the mainland to Tory so that their children can reap these benefits. These students go on to university in Dublin, Galway and all around the country, but a huge majority of them come back to Tory when they graduate. Many of you have asked why anyone would willingly live on an island, isolated from the hustle and bustle of the mainland. The answer lies in the sense of community that is prevalent throughout the island. Very few places in Ireland have retained the open-door sense of community that you can find in Tory. If you're interested in learning more about island life, and why we need to preserve it, there were a set of documentaries about life on Tory created by Macalla Teo, which were shown on RTÉ, that I would recommend watching: 'On The Block: Oileán Thoraigh', 'On The Block: Road Trip' and 'Around The Block'.

We islanders know that we've been very lucky with the service we've had over the past number of years, and we don't want to see an unsuitable, unsafe ferry come into service. The ferry is our daily commute - why would we accept a downgrade?

We're not going to sit back and allow this to happen, so yes, we're going to kick up a fuss, because this treatment isn't acceptable. We'll be at the Dáil at 11am on Wednesday 14th February - and you're all welcome to join us in demanding fair treatment and a safe, reliable service.

I don’t understand your comment. What do you mean by “contract”?

And what where the complaints about, do you know?

They were about the quality of the existing boat (noisy and cramped), failure to provide the planned service on a regular basis, leaving earlier than the time on the timetable for example.

Loinnir9 wrote: »

The Queen of Aran has only ever been used in sheltered bays.

The smaller fast ferry, the Whispering Dawn, runs when weather conditions are unsuitable for the Tormór, allowing a ferry service even in very unfavourable weather. The Queen of Aran simply can't compete with the current service.

From information available online the Queen of Aran has operated from Doolin to the Aran islands in Galway and from Doolin to the Cliffs of Moher. Neither of those routes could be considered to be in “sheltered bays”.

How can a small boat can run safely on a day when a bigger one can’t in unfavorable weather conditions? That doesn’t make logical sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aquickword

"Its not hard to understand how it worked. I sold the vessel two years ago and due to the fact that she would not operate to Tory untill 2018 I took the opportunity to Lease this fine vessel back for two seasons." This is a comment made by the "previous" owner of the Queen Of Aran yesterday evening on a thread on facebook. Now can anyone explain to me how he knew 2 seasons ago that this boat would have the contract for Tory when the decision apparently hadn't even been made yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 aquickword

From information available online the Queen of Aran has operated from Doolin to the Aran islands in Galway and from Doolin to the Cliffs of Moher. Neither of those routes could be considered to be in “sheltered bays”.

How can a small boat can run safely on a day when a bigger one can’t in unfavorable weather conditions? That doesn’t make logical sense.

If you would also checked online you would see that Queen of Aran is not licensed to carry cargo. It's a passenger boat only. Tor mor I believe was purposely built for cargo and passengers.

Advertisement