Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Littlegreendot

Hi All,

I'm looking for a home charger at the moment, and have learnt a ton from reading this thread so thank you to all the experts. I have been in contact with ElectricIreland, they are quoting 1100 for non-customers for a Circontrol eHome 7.4kw Type 2 charging point which seems a bit spendy. I asked them for a quote for a priority switch to be put in alongside the charger and they replied "All EV chargers have built in to priority switches so the fuseboards won't trip." Is this true? Goes against what I've read on here so I was a bit surprised by that answer.

Also stupid question - 7.4KW = 32A, right?! Anyone got any experience with a 'Circontrol' charger?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You may, I repeat may, not get the grant towards installation for a 32 A.. I repeat may, it was the case
    as for
    All EV chargers have built in to priority switches so the fuseboards won't trip.... ...ox

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I asked them for a quote for a priority switch to be put in alongside the charger and they replied "All EV chargers have built in to priority switches so the fuseboards won't trip." Is this true? Goes against what I've read on here so I was a bit surprised by that answer.

Im not sure if that person understood your question. Every EVSE has an inbuilt RCBO but no EVSE comes with a priority switch. Thats a separate purchase/install effort that is only put in if you require it. Nothing to do with the EVSE itself.

You may, I repeat may, not get the grant towards installation for a 32 A.. I repeat may, it was the case

It was the case for the old grant (that is discontinued).
    The new €600 grant does not have that limitation. 32A is fine.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I got an energy meter on my rolec, and i've been noting the start and end units each time I charge. I kinda expected the rolec to use next to zero power when on standby, but considering it's doing nothing, it's using a bit of power. 500W consumed in a bit under 4 and a half days on standby.

I got an energy meter on my rolec, and i've been noting the start and end units each time I charge. I kinda expected the rolec to use next to zero power when on standby, but considering it's doing nothing, it's using a bit of power. 500W consumed in a bit under 4 and a half days on standby.

I think it uses about 3W on standby, which isnt much.
    It has to power the LED and the controller 24/7 so thats reasonable I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭10-10-20

500w/108hrs = 4.6w /hr. Not excessive or concerning, TBF. Ideally it should be <1w, but not all devices are compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

10-10-20 wrote: »
    500w/108hrs = 4.6w /hr. Not excessive or concerning, TBF. Ideally it should be <1w, but not all devices are compliant.
    Units!!! :pac:

But a bit over a mW on average, not bad, tiny actually. Suspiciously so. That's if it was indeed 500 Wh over 4.5 days.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

10-10-20 wrote: »

Pretty much my point. It's nothing really, but I'd of expected less. My fridge uses about 400W a day, but at least that's actually doing something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

handofdog wrote: »
    For anyone who is considering the Zappi 2 untethered.

It has a nice option which allows you to lock the cable in place (PIN code required to release it).

This makes it more secure than other untethered options.

Darkin installed mine and I'm very happy with a nice clean fitting.

This option is part a feature of the Zappi v2 and not an optional extra, right? Just wish to confirm as I'm interested in the Zappi v2 untethered. Thx

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    This option is part a feature of the Zappi v2 and not an optional extra, right? Just wish to confirm as I'm interested in the Zappi v2 untethered. Thx

Why untethered? Its a bad idea unless your car is a type 1 car that you plan to keep for several years.

Every new EV since 2018ish is (and will be) type 2 so a tethered charge point makes alot more sense long term.

The only other benefit of untethered is that it would allow type 1 visitors to your house to use your charge point.... personally I'd say sod them they can use a 3 pin socket if they need it. I'd rather the convenience for myself for the other 355 days of the year! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

KCross wrote: »
    Why untethered? Its a bad idea unless your car is a type 1 car that you plan to keep for several years.

Every new EV since 2018ish is (and will be) type 2 so a tethered charge point makes alot more sense long term.

The only other benefit of untethered is that it would allow type 1 visitors to your house to use your charge point.... personally I'd say sod them they can use a 3 pin socket if they need it. I'd rather the convenience for myself for the other 355 days of the year! :p

Yeh, in hindsight, I think you are right. The convenience of a tethered makes sense! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭obriendj

Hi There, Is it me or is the Zappi very hard to get.

I am looking at the myeneri.com website and delivery time is 14 weeks.

My kona is limited to 7KwHr so wondering to go for 7 or 22kwh to allow for faster charging in the future?

Thanks

22kW AC is 3-times 7kW delivered in three-phase.
    The Kona can only take max of 7kW in single-phase, ie it cannot use two of the three phases.
    So if your house is wired for three-phase, most are not, then go for 22kw if validated by an electrician. But to be frank, I'd stay on 7kW as it's a slower charge rate and will help to maintain the battery condition due to the lower charge-rate.

obriendj wrote: »
    My kona is limited to 7KwHr so wondering to go for 7 or 22kwh to allow for faster charging in the future?

The Kona cannot charge beyond 7kW on AC so a 22kW AC charge point is useless to you.

To allow charging beyond 7kW you would need to buy a car with a 3 phase charger built in AND get 3-phase installed in your home (very expensive to do this).

The 7kW(32A) charge point is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭JohnC.

He's asking about the future though. It probably won't be the last car he owns.

JohnC. wrote: »
    He's asking about the future though. It probably won't be the last car he owns.

He would still be limited by the single phase electricity he has in his house so 7kW is all he'd get.

Getting 3 phase retrospectively in to a domestic scenario in Ireland is hugely expensive and not justified for charging a car considering single phase is plenty to charge the car overnight.

If he has money to burn then have at it... :D

To put a finer point on it, 22kW (3P AC) isn't a common residential power capacity for EV charging, but it's not out of the question.
    The electrician can go ahead and install a conductor capable of three-phase, but only use one of the phases, and then if the main panel and power-supply to the house gets upgraded in the future then the owner will be in a better position to utilise the 3-phase power. But that's all hypothetical and more likely to happen in a rural/agricultural scenario where 3-phase is present.
    Some or most of the GARO EV residential charging panels are 3P capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I keep seeing people say it's crazy expensive to retrofit to 3 phase.

How expensive is crazy expensive?

KCross wrote: »

The 7kW(32A) charge point is all you need.

Thanks for this. Yeah I was thinking for future cars

Anyone have idea about getting a zappi delivered? With out having to wait an age.

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I keep seeing people say it's crazy expensive to retrofit to 3 phase.

How expensive is crazy expensive?

At best a few grand. At worst hundreds of thousands, maybe even more. Only ESB networks can tell if you ask them for a quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

I notice the SEAI website says for the grant to be processed the vehicle ownership form (for second hand cars) be posted to them. Is this the original? I'd be a bit nervous about sending this to them. If it is, from people's experience, how long does it take to get back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

bf wrote: »
    I notice the SEAI website says for the grant to be processed the vehicle ownership form (for second hand cars) be posted to them. Is this the original? I'd be a bit nervous about sending this to them. If it is, from people's experience, how long does it take to get back?

I sent a colour copy and there was no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭runner2011

ethernet wrote: »
    I sent a colour copy and there was no issue.

Me too .. no issues

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

There’s no way I’d send an original VLC either.

I got my EV Box installed yesterday, super job and extremely neat.

Now to get this damm cable issue sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

It does say that on the website. However, on the actual form it says a "copy of the vehicle registration certificate".

It's a copy that I'll be sending in.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    There’s no way I’d send an original VLC either.

I got my EV Box installed yesterday, super job and extremely neat.

Now to get this damm cable issue sorted.

What type of box did you get in?
    And who installed it?

did you get a company to do the lot or purchase the box yourself and get an Electrician to install?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I sent a copy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

What type of box did you get in?
    And who installed it?

did you get a company to do the lot or purchase the box yourself and get an Electrician to install?

I got an EV Box installed by Mulhare Electrical.
    They done the one at work and we’re excellent to deal with. If you want a contact number just send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭turnfan

Thanks for this. Yeah I was thinking for future cars

Anyone have idea about getting a zappi delivered? With out having to wait an age.

Ta

After months I have an install planned for just under a month from now. Stock is via a 3rd party in the UK, via Darkin EV.

They just can't seem to keep up with demand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

Can anyone recommend a home charger that doesn't have the wait time of a Zappi (we're currently using a granny charger and that's not feasible coming into winter). We dont have electric showers but do have solar panels. Ideally untethered and has an option to set charging times in advance....not sure if that's even possible.

Advertisement