Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'd hope so.

I bought a car from Carzone, previous owner had rewired the warning lights to hide the fact the airbag control module was missing. Until the NCT I didn't know the airbags didn't work. What's even worse is the waiting list for the repair was more than a month, so I chanced throwing the car into the "visual" follow up examination to avoid paying for another NCT. It passed, despite having not fixed the airbags. (They've sinced been fixed).

I guess if I had crashed and killed a passenger I'd have been culpable for driving a vehicle I knew to be faulty - but I'd been fooled by a seller who also managed to trick at least one NCT inspector.

Well that is just terrifying.

The whole point of the NCT is to ensure the car is safe to drive. If someone is knowingly duping that system, they need to be criminally responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leo Cullen going well in his Wimbledon semi against Isner

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Buer wrote: »
    I'd be shocked. The Brexit deadline for an agreement with the EU is mid-October and the departure is official on March 29th. There may be a slight chance of a change of PM due to an internal coup but I cannot see any election taking place.

But I don't even think there would be an internal coup. Nobody in their right mind will consider stepping into May's role right now. They'll trip over themselves to change things next year but right now they've little to gain by getting into power. Let May take the fall for the nation.

May is smarter than a lot of people seem to think in this context. Notice how she has bound all serious Tory leadership rivals to her Brexit, making sure they are inside the tent, and letting them show what chancers they are. She has really impressive staying power and is quietly neutralising future leadership competition.
    bilston wrote: »
    She hasn't actually responded yet so let's see how the press conference goes down later before condemning her as weak.

That said I'll be amazed if she doesn't come across as weak.

Brexit is just such a f*****g disaster it's almost funny. Millions of people duoed by the agenda of media barons with self interest at play and this is what they get. It still enrages me to think we (I'm a UK national) are in this mess.

Hard Brexit is inevitable, even if they implement a soft deal now. Nothing is going to improve in the lives of the people who were deluded into backing Brexit, and while they remain convinced that the EU is the problem, I'd bet any money the next PM will have a mandate to renege on any soft deal and go full hard Brexit (and don't rule out a Labour candidate in this regard).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The tennis is nuts. 15 all in the final set and showing no sign of ending

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Synode wrote: »
    The tennis is nuts. 15 all in the final set and showing no sign of ending

Isner really needs to f**k of with this crap, it's getting old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Isner really needs to f**k of with this crap, it's getting old.

You mean Anderson. If he wins this he's on course to break the record of most games played in a single Wimbledon

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Synode wrote: »
    You mean Anderson. If he wins this he's on course to break the record of most games played in a single Wimbledon

Isner beat Nicolas Mahut 70-68 in the longest game in Wimbledon history back in 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'd hope so.

I bought a car from Carzone, previous owner had rewired the warning lights to hide the fact the airbag control module was missing. Until the NCT I didn't know the airbags didn't work. What's even worse is the waiting list for the repair was more than a month, so I chanced throwing the car into the "visual" follow up examination to avoid paying for another NCT. It passed, despite having not fixed the airbags. (They've sinced been fixed).

I guess if I had crashed and killed a passenger I'd have been culpable for driving a vehicle I knew to be faulty - but I'd been fooled by a seller who also managed to trick at least one NCT inspector.

The NCT is a sham. It's not a certificate of roadworthiness in any sense. A few years back I'd a mark 4 golf that was in bits, had lowered springs on it, handled like sh!t, constant engine management light on it and I'm fairly certain the power steering was on its last legs.

Threw electrical tape over the dashboard lights, passed it's nct without a single bother.

I've heard of plenty occurrences where people have put absolute bangers of cars that shouldn't make it anywhere near the road through that have passed.

The only positive about it is that it makes people have a look at their car. Irish people wouldn't touch anything at all on their car unless the car stopped running otherwise.

Threw electrical tape over the dashboard lights, passed it's nct without a single bother.

I'm far from a car expert but why would you do this - does this hide issues with the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Anyone been or going to longitude in Marley park this weekend?
    I hate you right now. Working in th place. 2 days down. 2 to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Over here, cars have got to be inspected yearly. They check : tires, emission, lights etc. Costs about $40. If the car flunks , you get a grace period to have whatever fails corrected. If the car is dangerous they won't allow you to drive off.

Recently got a car and it's NCT is out of date. Didn't realise how irresponsible I am being. NCT booked

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I'm far from a car expert but why would you do this - does this hide issues with the car?

Well if they can’t see a light on the dashboard, then it won’t fail. They don’t run diagnostics on the cars. Though if was actually a safety check, not a money spinner, they probably would.

Any lights on the dashboard are a fail in general, as it points out a fault with the car.

But as said, they don't run diagnostics on the car so once they don't see any warning lights and the car passes emissions, they don't give a rat's once it starts and runs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That is ****ing ridiculous. You blatantly admit to a fault by covering up the light and they pretend that means there's no fault. But they fail cars if the number plate is not in a particular font.

That is ****ing ridiculous. You blatantly admit to a fault by covering up the light and they pretend that means there's no fault. But they fail cars if the number plate is not in a particular font.

The vast majority of the things people fail on, have little or nothing to do with the safety or road worthiness of the vehicle. A lot of the things that should fail the vehicle are bypassed by mechanics. The NCT does not prove a vehicle is in good condition or is road worthy, at best it forces people to get a mechanic to look at their car once a year or every two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You can't stick a bit of black tape over a warning light lads.

1. It's blatantly obvious
    2. A warning light on is a fail

Years ago in NI you would get away with a bit of tape over a light but now they are very strict on warning lights etc (both MOT and NCT).
    An NCT is a fairly comprehensive check on your car and it's no bad thing as most people don't bother their arse looking after their vehicles.
    The DOE however is a rigorous check. I failed a few years back on a steering rack bush. Instructor told me he spent an hour searching for it. They are under constant video surveillance and at any time an inspector can walk in check their work or the last vehicle they worked on.

mfceiling wrote: »
    You can't stick a bit of black tape over a warning light lads.

1. It's blatantly obvious
    2. A warning light on is a fail

Years ago in NI you would get away with a bit of tape over a light but now they are very strict on warning lights etc (both MOT and NCT).
    An NCT is a fairly comprehensive check on your car and it's no bad thing as most people don't bother their arse looking after their vehicles.
    The DOE however is a rigorous check. I failed a few years back on a steering rack bush. Instructor told me he spent an hour searching for it. They are under constant video surveillance and at any time an inspector can walk in check their work or the last vehicle they worked on.
    It’s blatantly obvious if it’s on the dash, not if it’s behind the glass. Or depending on the type of car. I had an airbag light on an Alfa Romeo that I covered using permanent marker. Passed the NCT without a hitch. According the my mechanic, the airbag was working fine, there was a fault with the cpu which would cost €300 to replace, just so the light wouldn’t show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

stephen_n wrote: »
    It’s blatantly obvious if it’s on the dash, not if it’s behind the glass. Or depending on the type of car. I had an airbag light on an Alfa Romeo that I covered using permanent marker. Passed the NCT without a hitch. According the my mechanic, the airbag was working fine, there was a fault with the cpu which would cost €300 to replace, just so the light wouldn’t show.

Jesus!! Most vehicles now it would be a difficult enough job getting at the dash and with everything being digital a marker wouldn't hide the problem!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I can't for the life of me figure out the difference between a tackle and a foul in gaelic. Seems like a random lottery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Today when I was out walking the dog I ended up in the middle of a triathlon. I thought to myself this is definitely something I could see myself working towards doing. Then I remembered I'm not a good swimmer, I don't own a bike and I can't run more than 2k without running out of breath

b.gud wrote: »
    Today when I was out walking the dog I ended up in the middle of a triathlon. I thought to myself this is definitely something I could see myself working towards doing. Then I remembered I'm not a good swimmer, I don't own a bike and I can't run more than 2k without running out of breath

I’ve wanted to do once since I was young, could probably do it, but just can’t motivate myself to train for one. It’s a great aspiration though :pac:

mfceiling wrote: »
    Jesus!! Most vehicles now it would be a difficult enough job getting at the dash and with everything being digital a marker wouldn't hide the problem!!

Mk4 golf dash pops out after a couple of screws.

But anyways, the NCT isn't anywhere near a certificate of roadworthiness and more just a basic check. It does encourage people to actually get off their arse and fix things if they do fail, but it's definitely a flawed system and the rumours of quotas definitely rings true.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I did one a few years ago and will do one next year. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Daily conversation with my football mad Liverpool fan son ( I am something of a lapsed football and Liverpool fan and can barely name the team these days)

Cm2k Jnr: Dad, Liverpool have signed Carlos Kickaball the latest wonder !

Cm2k: is he a goalkeeper ?

Cm2k jnr: nope.

Cm2k: for jaysis sake.

Cm2k jnr: Dad Liverpool have signed shakiri!
    Cm2k: the bird who shakes her hips?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

dregin wrote: »
    I can't for the life of me figure out the difference between a tackle and a foul in gaelic. Seems like a random lottery.
    because it generally is. Rulebook in that sport needs to/has to be torn up and written again properly
    Sprint or at least try a try isn't that difficult. Would 750m swim/20k bike/5k be a problem. Supersprint/try a tri is half each distance.
    sullivlo wrote: »
    I did one a few years ago and will do one next year. Very enjoyable.
    what distance did you do and what distance are you thinking of doing next year? I've only done sprints so far but swim won't ever be an issue for me. Even relatively unfit in pool/open water swimming I'd do 2.5km in an hour in training and more if doing it non stop.
    Will do an iron man in time but need to build back up serious mileage on bike before that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can't swim more than 50m without getting exhausted. I would need to completely relearn everything but the major problem is I simply don't float in water and all the bad technique stems from there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I do a fair bit of cycling and running but pretty much literally can’t swim. Going to get lessons this summer so I can tackle some triathlons as they seem fairly fun. Even up to Olympic distance and run and bike don’t seem that bad (with the proviso that my time wouldn’t be amazing or anything). Swim seems daunting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

dregin wrote: »
    Correct. We can moan about rugby but it's nothing compared to the completely arbitrary lottery that is a foul in GAA.

In almost every game, you'll see a referee award different decisions for an identical incident. Last night Dublin got one of the softest frees you'll see which Rock pointed. From the resulting kick out, Fenton was grabbed by the collar in mid air and hauled to the ground. Play on.

In the current Kildare and Monaghan game, the wet conditions have seen multiple attempts to gather possession from the ground. It's a coin toss as to whether the referee awards a free for using hands on the ground or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Gwan Limerick liginds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement