Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The absolute lunacy of this action is possibly being understated. Everyone bar the US believes that the current agreement is working and that Iran are keeping their end of the bargain. Which means that for the first time, Europe, Japan, India, Russia, China, and most of the middle east except Israel (and they're split on the subject) are now aligned on one side and the US on the other. It's completely nuts.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The absolute lunacy of this action is possibly being understated. Everyone bar the US believes that the current agreement is working and that Iran are keeping their end of the bargain. Which means that for the first time, Europe, Japan, India, Russia, China, and most of the middle east except Israel (and they're split on the subject) are now aligned on one side and the US on the other. It's completely nuts.

Even more nuts is that the US is threatening sanctions against anyone who continues to do business with Iran.

I find it increasingly worrying that the American public are allowing themselves to be quietly walked into each new crisis. The media are being critical but in the way you would of a nasty character on reality TV and not in the 'this is a constitutional crisis' kind of way.

Trump has turned the presidency of the US into reality TV where the consequences don't exist in the same reality as the one where he is jerking off on twitter.

It's a mind blowing place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

prawnsambo wrote: »

It's not even everyone bar the US. It's everyone bar a ridiculous wing of right wing extremists in the US who have taken control of the national conversation on foreign policy.

What an incredibly dangerous group of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Times are a little different now. Iraq was a disaster. No doubt that nation building and forced democracy are useless. I must admit that I have never heard of seen any of the information that you guys have posted. I also had no idea that Brazil and Argentina had nuclear capability.
    Very unreal that if they are complying and maintaining their duty to the agreement that Netanyahu would claim otherwise.
    I will say that politics over here is like a bloodsport. Vitriol and hatred on all sides. It's very unnerving.
    Politicians are beholden to the special interests and the average person is just fodder.

I guess the age of technology has really influenced everything. Newspapers have gone bust and the internet has so many political sites and opinions. That may not be good. There is so much misinformation.
    I've never seen any of you guys' uploads. I doubt I would have either.

• Advertisement

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Times are a little different now. Iraq was a disaster. No doubt that nation building and forced democracy are useless. I must admit that I have never heard of seen any of the information that you guys have posted. I also had no idea that Brazil and Argentina had nuclear capability.
    Very unreal that if they are complying and maintaining their duty to the agreement that Netanyahu would claim otherwise.
    I will say that politics over here is like a bloodsport. Vitriol and hatred on all sides. It's very unnerving.
    Politicians are beholden to the special interests and the average person is just fodder.
    Iran are no angels though. They still have a stated aim of bringing an end to Israel afaik. And they are trying to influence politics in the region. A bit like the US, they have hardliners and moderates, and this action by the USA has given strength to the hardliners.

However, getting them to the table and signing an agreement (that took two years to achieve) was a mammoth step and now it's all gone tits up with the fall out incalculable at this stage. One thing's for sure, the US wil never be trusted again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its not that unreal at all unfortunately. Netanyahu is poisonous and is more than happy to focus matters on Iran rather than the multiple corruption allegations against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Times are a little different now. Iraq was a disaster. No doubt that nation building and forced democracy are useless.

This is literally the stated aim of the guy Trump appointed as National Security Advisor. He thinks the US's objective in Iran should be regime change.

If you think it was a disaster in Iraq, just wait and see what happens if the White House keeps going the way they're going.

To be fair, most news right now internationally that I've seen is about Brexit. It is all over the news. That and the upcoming midterm elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Trump won't stop antagonising until he starts at least one war. One of the first things he did when he got into office was increase military spending to an all-time high. He's constantly prodding and poking at leaders of other countries looking for a reaction.

Iran will be a completely different beast to Afghanistan or Iraq. The Iranian army already has over 500,000 active soldiers, with almost the same in reserve.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if any of you ever read the blogger Riverbend. She started a blog around the time of the invasion of Iraq in 2003 and her collected blogs were eventually published as two separate volumes. The blog "Baghdad Burning" can still be read on Blogspot and to this day, her identity is unknown. I would consider it one of the best blogs I have ever read and highly reccommend it. You don't have to read it all, but it's riveting reading. Her english would put us all to shame.

The last entry was in 2013 after she had left Syria (yes, her family fled to Syria from Iraq :rolleyes:) and includes this bit:
    What about George Bush, Condi, Wolfowitz, and Powell? Will they ever be held accountable for the devastation and the death they wrought in Iraq? Saddam was held accountable for 300,000 Iraqis... Surely someone should be held accountable for the million or so?

Finally, after all is said and done, we shouldn't forget what this was about - making America safer... And are you safer Americans? If you are, why is it that we hear more and more about attacks on your embassies and diplomats? Why is it that you are constantly warned to not go to this country or that one? Is it better now, ten years down the line? Do you feel safer, with hundreds of thousands of Iraqis out of the way (granted half of them were women and children, but children grow up, right?)?

And what happened to Riverbend and my family? I eventually moved from Syria. I moved before the heavy fighting, before it got ugly. That’s how fortunate I was. I moved to another country nearby, stayed almost a year, and then made another move to a third Arab country with the hope that, this time, it’ll stick until… Until when? Even the pessimists aren’t sure anymore. When will things improve? When will be able to live normally? How long will it take?

For those of you who are disappointed reality has reared its ugly head again, go to Fox News, I'm sure they have a reportage that will soothe your conscience.

Wow, you wouldn't know what to say? As time dragged on after the Iraq invasion it was clear that it was an enormous error. I think Iraq is worse off now than ever!

Wow, you wouldn't know what to say? As time dragged on after the Iraq invasion it was clear that it was an enormous error. I think Iraq is worse off now than ever!

Well for one you could start saying it - instead of the stuff you were posting originally. Say it to your family, your friends and those in your community. Try to be an educator because America quite badly needs those at the moment.

As for the invasion though - it had such awful consequences and not just in Iraq.

I saw it put better elsewhere, but it would really grate on you that England marched into Iraq destroying and destabilising the region which led to the birth of Isis and contributed to the civil war in Syria.

Then when Syrian refugees start washing up on the shores of Europe you have Britain scaremongering the migrant crisis as part of the reasons for a withdrawal from Europe.

And they were the very ones who heavily contributed to the destabilisation which led to the migrant crisis in the first place.

The absolute ****ing gall of it.

Appalling and incredible at the same time. I guess if there was no oil, nobody would be bothered. Sickening g.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Times are a little different now. Iraq was a disaster. No doubt that nation building and forced democracy are useless.

It was the US policy of regime change and nation building that created the current Iranian state. Something they have been desperately trying to undermine ever since. Americas foreign policy has had a hand or part in every conflict in the middle east for the last 50 years. This current action by Trump will probably lead to the next conflict.

My phone's newsfeed before you get into Google is about fb and Google and advertisers for the upcoming referendum on the 25th. Interesting article and I think that this probably means that politics is no longer local!! It seems every swinging dick gets a say in something that's not their business.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Chicks dig scars, right? Right?!

Have to get a bit of my face removed... minor skin cancer. Fvckin Irish pale skin... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

Zzippy wrote: »

Have to get a bit of my face removed... minor skin cancer. Fvckin Irish pale skin... :rolleyes:

Very best of luck with that Zzippy, sure you can always get a Mike Tyson style tattoo afterwards!

Very best of luck with that Zzippy, sure you can always get a Mike Tyson style tattoo afterwards!

Thanks. What a username! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

Thanks. What a username! :D

Felt I'd gotten a little tame recently ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

All the best with it Zzippy. I've a few moles I should really get checked out

Synode wrote: »
    All the best with it Zzippy. I've a few moles I should really get checked out

Do. I let this go a lot longer than I should. Need to listen to herself the odd time... ;)

Good luck . Get a nice floral tattoo, that will cheer u up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sucks man. My skin isn't too pale by Irish standards, but I'm peppered with moles. Got my first check a few months ago, I strolled in, he goes how many you got. I go, what's the ranges, he said "10-50, 50-100, 100-200". I said "yeah probably 50 or so".

Anyway, so I whip the clothes off. The whole lot. He just starts laughing. "you've about 300 mate, mind if I get my assistant".

I didn't mind, until this fit as hell girl walks in and makes the session incredibly difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Better out than in man. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Well Corbyn just admitted he won't support the UK staying in the single market (surprising nobody who's been paying attention to Corbyn from day 1) so now the people of the UK are left with a choice of supporting a party determined on a hard Brexit or supporting a party determined on a hard Brexit.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Well Corbyn just admitted he won't support the UK staying in the single market (surprising nobody who's been paying attention to Corbyn from day 1) so now the people of the UK are left with a choice of supporting a party determined on a hard Brexit or supporting a party determined on a hard Brexit.
    And of course going against his party's stated policy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Best of luck, Zipster. Only minor so I'm sure it'll be a mere blip and little enough by ways of a scar.

If you need to take some time off and a temporary mod is required, I'd like to nominate awec.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Felt I'd gotten a little tame recently ;)

He returns. Subtle as a brick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

What is it with feckin northsiders, they can’t even do a bit of art without starting a fight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement