Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on contraception?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Don't have the wherewithal to even begin to take the piss out of that one, and for that reason...

b6875160-3721-0132-0a09-0eae5eefacd9.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

I've no denomination (maybe lean more toward revivalist/evangelical/Pentecostal, although I've a special love for The Holy Mother which is about all I've retained from my catholic upbringing).
    I've an adult daughter who's been with her partner for seven years, they live together and are as much as married as any other couple would be under law. They have both been in college for the last four/five years so marriage has not been anything close to being a realistic consideration. (Thank God) However, she has been on the contraceptive pill since her late teens to help moderate her cycle which had always been a medical issue for her, the fact that it also operates as a contraceptive was neither here nor there and I don't think she would choose to be on it where it not for the fact that it regulates her period. We both know that her chances of conceiving might be low as a result of the contributing condition and to be honest, it's almost as if that's a relief for her. She has no particular desire to have kids and her body has naturally taken that position. So in a way, in contrast to the post above, (and probably almost as extreme) I think if there's a natural plateauing of childbirth or desire or ability to procreate, then maybe that's the way it should be. (as in, maybe that's the way God wants it)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ahusband

@owneybaloney, as per my fathers words of wisdom, if God is all forgiving he will forgive me when I get there, so I'll enjoy myself now thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Confession is an encounter with the Lord.

Thank you for conceding so graciously.
    In time you will come to see that the dogged fierce implementation of the wording of the scripture is against its spirit, such as this current stance you are taking.

I know for fact if you sit through a marriage prep class given by ACCORD that no such strict stance is taken by all members of the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Foreplay is of course allowed, both man and woman are entitled to pleasure each other.

What if a man ejaculates during foreplay?

*asking for a friend*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

wench wrote:
    So is masturbation ok for women then?

No. The fondling must be with a husband or wife. The pleasuring must not be selfish to self, but a total giving to the other.

Owney, fondling with the hands is ok as long as you finish up front?

Yes.

koumi wrote:
    I've no denomination (maybe lean more toward revivalist/evangelical/Pentecostal, although I've a special love for The Holy Mother which is about all I've retained from my catholic upbringing). I've an adult daughter who's been with her partner for seven years, they live together and are as much as married as any other couple would be under law. They have both been in college for the last four/five years so marriage has not been anything close to being a realistic consideration. (Thank God) However, she has been on the contraceptive pill since her late teens to help moderate her cycle which had always been a medical issue for her, the fact that it also operates as a contraceptive was neither here nor there and I don't think she would choose to be on it where it not for the fact that it regulates her period. We both know that her chances of conceiving might be low as a result of the contributing condition and to be honest, it's almost as if that's a relief for her. She has no particular desire to have kids and her body has naturally taken that position. So in a way, in contrast to the post above, (and probably almost as extreme) I think if there's a natural plateauing of childbirth or desire or ability to procreate, then maybe that's the way it should be. (as in, maybe that's the way God wants it)

If she wants the gift of a child, both husband and wife should pray to God the Father for it as they make intercourse. It will happen. God has promised it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Spider Rico

This thread cannot be serious?! I’ve rarely read such nonsense!

ahusband wrote:
    @owneybaloney, as per my fathers words of wisdom, if God is all forgiving he will forgive me when I get there, so I'll enjoy myself now thank you very much.

I'm sorry but this is not the case. You must ask God to forgive you now, and try not to sin again. Of course you will fall, as the Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. But you must again seek repentence from the Lord. You can do this verbally, but ideally confession is best.
    No unrepentant sinner shall enter the Kingdom of God.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote:
    What if a man ejaculates during foreplay?

If it is accidental, no problem. If by design, problem. The main point is that the seed is sacred.

eviltwin wrote:
    A blow job isn't selfish, quite the opposite I would have thought.

Such activity does not even occur in the animal kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Such activity does not even occur in the animal kingdom.

It does, as it happens. Have you never kept a dog, for example?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Not everything is contained in the Bible. God has given us the gift of Reason, and in fact all God's law is written in your heart.

Very good point. Your gift of reason seems to arrive at some bizarre conclusions however.
    My gift of reason tells me that a child like, blind following of just one religion is a bad thing.
    Today a person has to inform themselves about as many spiritual, philosophical and scientific sources as possible and draw their own conclusions.
    The time where we let our lives be dictated by religion are over. We will never get this innocence back. Thank your deity of choice for that.
    Because who made religion? People. What do people want? To control and exploit other people. Religion is a fantastic tool for that, you can literally tell people not to have a ****.

For my own personal beliefs, I asked my guiding light, the FSM and it said "dude, just be good to other people and let your actions only bring goodness unto them".
    I like my god. May look a little funky, but is always chill.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Of course she is entitled to have sexual relations with her husband.

What if the husband has aids and the wife does not, do you believe its OK for condom use there or would you rather the woman is effectively served a death sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Foreplay is of course allowed However, sexual activity ie oral sex is a debasement of proper sexual activity.
    Don't knock it till you've tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Oweny,I can't help but feel that you're either not being entirely serious,or you saw Monty Python's Meaning of Life and took it as a literal description of Catholic doctrine.

I don't defend the official RC stance on contraception,far from it,but you're going way beyond that here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

100% against it and always will be.

Based on some of your posts on here you of all people should keep it wrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Yes, what you say is true. The problem with oral sex is, besides being a debasement of one of the partners, is that it results in the spillage of the sacred sperm.

Obligatory reference -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

amcalester wrote: »
    Based on some of your posts on here you of all people should keep it wrapped.

Never :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It's selfish for one partner.
    Is mutual oral sex ok then ? A significant element of sex is the reciprocal pleasure in pleasing one's partner. If both partners enjoy oral sex (giving or receiving at differnt times, or the same time) how is it selfish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Was just about to post this too. Haven't read the entire thread, but most of it, and can't quite believe that we may have got this far without it being mentioned

Every sperm is sacred
    Every sperm is great
    If a sperm is wasted
    God gets quite irate

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kg703

Doltanian wrote: »
    I am 100% against it for societal reasons, women are becoming too lazy and too selfish to have children and this will cause the indigenous Irish to die out in our own country when women are not having enough children.

The birth control pill and abortion should both be banned and a huge host of tax and welfare measures be introduced to promote more births including a tax on childless couples who choose not to have children outside of valid medical reasons. Controversial yes but it’s just common sense whatever the godless liberals and their disgusting dogma of political correctness might say.

Giggled my way through this thread til I got to this.

It's actually scary that there are people who genuinely believe this

There should be a tax on people like you procreating

Sure it's common sense we'll all just have tons of kids and sleep on the street cause we have nowhere to live but sure it's grand cause my granny lived off a loaf a bread a week with 18 kids and did nobody any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

kg703 wrote: »
    Giggled my way through this thread til I got to this.

It's actual scary that there are people who genuinely believe this

There should be a tax on people like you procreating

Sure it's common sense we'll all just have tons of kids and sleep on the street cause we have nowhere to live but sure it's grand cause my granny lived off a loaf a bread a week with 18 kids and did nobody any harm

Stupid, selfish, lazy, women!
    Why would any female not aspire to be a baby making machine? Who needs a career, an education, a social life, or any bit of financial stability? They should just get up and get on with it. Society these days, eh. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Some of you will get such a surprise:

7b4cc8c6ad91c80413b6a7c848755317.jpg

But seriously.
    Why would anyone say "I alone have the moral authority over right and wrong! I have this authority because my God is almighty and the only true God in existence! I know, because he told me so and I should totally tell you what to do! Just trust me on this one, only I can hear Him, if you can't it's because you're not worthy, so just listen to me and do what I say and everything will be grand!"
    To which I reply "who are you, you jumped up little fart to tell me what is right and wrong and what I should or shouldn't do! You can take your authority and stick it where the sun doesn't shine or I might just insert it there myself"

Religion to me is a sad indictment that homo sapiens is a hopeless herd animal that cannot think on it's onw and needs someone in charge to make the decisions, because most don't have the balls, the brains and the imagination to make their own decisions.
    It's also the reasons we need politicians to run our affairs for us.
    Slowly we emerge into the light, or so I hoped until recently, but the world right now does not give grounds for hope.
    So all I can say to people is, make up your own mind! Don't just blindly follow orders because someone claims authority. That person is no better or smarter than you in most cases.
    This is doubly important with religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,809 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Of course she is entitled to have sexual relations with her husband.

Oweny, this just doesn't make sense.

In one post you have said that EVERY sexual act must be open to new life. In another, you have said that the seed (meaning sperm) is sacred.

Now, putting sacred sperm into an a woman who simply does not have any eggs, or anywhere for a fertilised egg to mature, is 100% not open to new life.

Based on your reasoning, I do not see how it can possibly be right for such a couple to have sexual intercourse. Unless of course marriage is some kind of special relationship which removes the need for every sexual act to be open to new life. And if that's the case, then why isn't contraception OK for married couples?

Now, putting sacred sperm into an a woman who simply does not have any eggs, or anywhere for a fertilised egg to mature, is 100% not open to new life.

Correct. Just because she is not open to new life does not prevent her from an enjoyable sex life. The whole thing revolves around the sacredness of the sperm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

You are a child of God. Do you know what this means? You are to show restraint in sexual matters, just as with food, or drink. You are to be moderate in all your actions, and not give in to base desires.

Oweny, I put my finger in my girlfriend's bum while having vagina intercourse (while wearing a condom) after we both performed oral sex on each other; am I in trouble?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Correct. Just because she is not open to new life does not prevent her from an enjoyable sex life. The whole thing revolves around the sacredness of the sperm.

You've not answered my question,
    What if the man or women has aids and their partner doesn't, is condom use in such a situation ok or would you prefer that the person is given a death sentence?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement