Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,019 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah Hyundai could do big damage if they price it right and don't screw up availability.

I have a suspicion their strategy with the Kona is to do big damage and completely take over the US EV market below the Teslas. Including Leaf & Bolt. Perhaps they held back on Ioniq as it was the only way they could go for this strategy or they didn't realise back in 2013 / 2014 when getting Ioniq to market that things EV would start to move this quickly (very few people did)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Jaysus almighty in Heaven, no one was comparing the Kona to the Zoe/Clio at all, I'm sorry I mentioned it FFS :rolleyes:

The comparison I made was to the Clio and Zoe the fact that the petrol clio is by far the best selling Clio much more than even the diesel.

So my question was whether the same comparison would be made by the Kona EV and another similar Hyundai petrol or diesel.

Then I said that the range was rather poor for the 22 Kwh and then there was the cost, the cost of the clio averaged 15,000 Euros.

Another issue with the Zoe originally was the battery lease, I forgot about that.

I know full well what comparison you were trying to make.

I read your posts . Reno messed up pricing on the Zoe versus the Clio.

Then you went on to say Hyundai could do the same thing and no one would buy the Kona.

The comparison was flawed I think we all realise this. There is no basis for your thinking

The kona will sell very well you can quote me with this post on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

unkel wrote: »
    Cheapest C-HR is €27k and there are plenty of them around. If Hyundai Ireland can get the base Kona 40kWh in for a list price of around the same, it will sell every car they beg South Korea to put on a ship to Ireland.

Why oh why would you try and compare a baseline petrol with a BEV high spec kona?

The hybrid is a decent starting point. Also the baseline spec in a Toyota is shocking. I fully expect the Kona to come with a high spec so again a baseline model is not a comparison.

I would guess 30k for 40kW and 35k for 64kW

Ireland of course will probably have one trim....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I hope the Kona doesn't sell well tbh.

Currently the second hand Ioniq market is so small that there is very little depreciation.

I want to be able to buy a second hand or ex demo 64kwh Kona for a good price!

You could be waiting a while, I fully expect them to sell out quickly and hard to get similar to the Ioniq....

The uptake of electric is growing, even as a company car it will get a high uptake.....

listermint wrote: »
    I know full well what comparison you were trying to make.

I read your posts . Reno messed up pricing on the Zoe versus the Clio.

Then you went on to say Hyundai could do the same thing and no one would buy the Kona.

The comparison was flawed I think we all realise this. There is no basis for your thinking

The kona will sell very well you can quote me with this post on that.

Oh get over yourself mate ffs, Jesus.

• Advertisement

Oh get over yourself mate ffs, Jesus.

Relax mad lad you got it wrong this time it's ok.

Let's get back to the car. Sorry suv crossover

Relax mad lad you got it wrong this time it's ok.

Let's get back to the car. Sorry suv crossover

I got nothing wrong, there was nothing to get wrong, you've got no idea what I was talking about obviously , if you do then tell me what I got wrong.

I got nothing wrong, there was nothing to get wrong, you've got no idea what I was talking about obviously , if you do then tell me what I got wrong.

Your words ...

I must check it out myself. Just wondering if there's an appetite for this kind of EV among Irish drivers though V the diesel.

What could we compared it to because there's no diesel model, could it be like the Clio V Zoe ? Zoe hadn't a hope compared to the 15K Clio Petrol which makes about 90% of sales, I stand to be corrected on the exact figure

Theres not appetite for it.
    There's no diesel to compare it to.
    It would be like the Zoe versus the Clio

So much win in one paragraph

LOl wtf was that. ?

I wasn't comparing the Clio, Zoe to the Kona.....you dipstick !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mad, you're around a long time. Don't be going and getting yourself banned for personal insults. Calm down.

• Advertisement

LOl wtf was that. ?

I wasn't comparing the Clio, Zoe to the Kona.....you dipstick !

Thanks for your well researched reply.

Very much appreciated. I see you stand by your comments earlier which make as much sense as what you said.

If your going to come out with such nonsense that here is no market for an suv of this size in the ev form then at least bother backing it up.

Thanks for your well researched reply.

Very much appreciated. I see you stand by your comments earlier which make as much sense as what you said.

If your going to come out with such nonsense that here is no market for an suv of this size in the ev form then at least bother backing it up.

You obviously know about nonsense considering your last few posts ;)

You obviously know about nonsense considering your last few posts ;)

Ok so you didn't say there was very little appetite for this car .

I'm glad we cleared that up considering we have it there in text format.

Embarrassing stuff. And the slagging well done on that front top marks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Miscreant

So.... How about that new Kona EV then eh? :)

If I can get from Dublin to Galway at around 110kph on the motorway with no stops then I'll be very tempted.

Ok so you didn't say there was very little appetite for this car .

I'm glad we cleared that up considering we have it there in text format.

Embarrassing stuff. And the slagging well done on that front top marks

Past your bed time , Mammy should take that phone from you ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Miscreant wrote: »

If I can get from Dublin to Galway at around 110kph on the motorway with no stops then I'll be very tempted.

was really interested in them, but decided to try to pull the trigger in Ioniq import instead for the following reasons....
    1.) Availability - Optimistically it will be July at the earliest, and more likely later
    2.) Size - it would appear that the ioniq is bigger in the back and has a bigger boot (I have a scatter of kids)
    3.) Cost - I think is will cost north of €35k and can't see any offers or trade ins.

So based on that the Ioniq for 8 or 10 thousand less is for me, the better buy. however I can see the Kona sell themselves, these little cross over thingies seem to be all the rage for the fashion conscious motorist that is 15 or 20 years younger than me and only has 0 or 1 or 2 kids

Miscreant wrote: »

That won't be a problem, I fell a few kms short of city to city in the i3 33 kwh before the rex kicks in, the BEV could probably do it all the way as it gets to use the last 6% charge, the Rex holds it. I tried in the Demo i3 last July at about 110 Kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

2.) Size - it would appear that the ioniq is bigger in the back and has a bigger boot (I have a scatter of kids)

I agree on the boot, the Kona is similar width but not at all deep.

However I sat in both today and I definitely didn't find the Kona smaller in the back. I sat in the driver's seat and adjusted for myself (I'm 5'11") and then got into the driver's side back seat and was fine for leg room.

Also in the Ioniq my head was touching the roof when I sat in the back. Nowhere near in the Kona.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Also in the Ioniq my head was touching the roof when I sat in the back. Nowhere near in the Kona.

very true, but I've no intention of sitting in the back :D In reality 90+% of the time it will be just me in it. If the family are going anywhere together will need the 7 seater anyways...

Ninja Edit: Exception to that would be bringing kids to Camogie, soccer, football, dance etc etc and they are all female and shorter...

Same. Legroom was fine though. And I doubt any of my 3 girls will reach the 6'2 that I am though :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Interesting article on Green Car Reports - Link

They sat down with some Hyundai folk, including a Senior Engineer for their EV powertrains.

Interesting points:

- Charges at 200A (80kW peak) vs 175A in the Ioniq
    - 160kW / 215 hp motor (intial press release was 150kW)
    - Liquid cooling vs Air cooling in the Ioniq
    - Independant rear suspension vs Torsion setup in Ioniq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Interesting article on Green Car Reports - Link

They sat down with some Hyundai folk, including a Senior Engineer for their EV powertrains.

Interesting points:

- Charges at 200A (80kW peak) vs 175A in the Ioniq
    - 160kW / 215 hp motor (intial press release was 150kW)
    - Liquid cooling vs Air cooling in the Ioniq

LG must be building the drive trains then?

As Leaf ePlus also has 215bhp motor and 64kWh battery

215bhp in a Kona will be mighty quick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What will the main effect of that be? Smoother ride?

Also interesting that that report call it the 2019 Kona! Does that mean that the talk of it arriving here in the summer is BS? Or maybe its the long range version is 2019?

KCross wrote: »

Better handling. In Ioniq it's the other way around, the EV has the rear torsion beam and the hybrid has the fully independent (multi link) rear suspension

But it's much of a muchness. Some of the best handling FWD cars have a rear torsion beam setup, like RenaultSport Clio and Civic Type R
    Also interesting that that report call it the 2019 Kona! Does that mean that the talk of it arriving here in the summer is BS?

It's a US thing. 2019 Kona means MY2019 (Model Year), this usually means cars that are actually available sometime in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Also interesting that that report call it the 2019 Kona! Does that mean that the talk of it arriving here in the summer is BS? Or maybe its the long range version is 2019?

Better ride and handling yeah. My only minor complaint I have about the Ioniq is the handling so any improvement there would be good.

US article - Not supposed to arrive into dealerships there until the end of the year I believe. Also the US are only getting the long range version.

Also the US are only getting the long range version.

Didn't know that. That's consistent with my suspicion that Hyundai have a very aggressive strategy and want to dominate the sub-Tesla EV market in the USA. Have to give it to them, that's a clever strategy. Detroit won't be able to keep up and the Bolt will come out far worse than Kona on pretty much every point.

Hyundai destroying the US car industry like Nissan / Toyota / Mazda did in the 70s and 80s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

unkel wrote: »
    Didn't know that. That's consistent with my suspicion that Hyundai have a very aggressive strategy and want to dominate the sub-Tesla EV market in the USA. Have to give it to them, that's a clever strategy. Detroit won't be able to keep up and the Bolt will come out far worse than Kona on pretty much every point.

Hyundai destroying the US car industry like Nissan / Toyota / Mazda did in the 70s and 80s?

Not with the LG Kona they won't

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

If I can drive from Donegal to Cork on one charge,  at a cost of 4.48 euro ( 64 * 0.07c night rate ) sign me up .  Mind you that would be a waste of good electricity driving to Cork :devil: :devil: ( Had to say that , being from Donegal )

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's going to break your bank, you should probably add an extra 50c for charging losses :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

flyer, fecking BIL is from Donegal. Don't want him getting down here. He'd only come, if it was cheap. It isn't you?

Advertisement