Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Too f**king technical lads

Back to which colour do you prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,252 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just had a look around the Kona, (not the electric obviously) and it's very nice.

Not as small as I had feared, although the boot is quite a bit smaller than my Leaf.

Nice interior, much better than the 2018 Leaf. Nice layout. Not a bad looking car at all.

If they can get them here in any kind of decent numbers I'm certainly keen. I don't trust Nissan as far as I could throw them. The 24kwh had the rear axle issue that they denied responsibility for. The 30kwh is allegedly suffering increased battery degradation and the 40kwh has the infamous #rapidgate. So there's bound to be something wrong with the 60kwh!

I must check it out myself. Just wondering if there's an appetite for this kind of EV among Irish drivers though V the diesel.

What could we compared it to because there's no diesel model, could it be like the Clio V Zoe ? Zoe hadn't a hope compared to the 15K Clio Petrol which makes about 90% of sales, I stand to be corrected on the exact figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,840 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I must check it out myself. Just wondering if there's an appetite for this kind of EV among Irish drivers though V the diesel.

What could we compared it to because there's no diesel model, could it be like the Clio V Zoe ? Zoe hadn't a hope compared to the 15K Clio Petrol which makes about 90% of sales, I stand to be corrected on the exact figure.

Of course there is, the only reason people buy diesel is because of the pump price.

and the only reason people by SUV style is because of ride height and perceived space. not many actually need one.

This would sell like cakes that are hot

• Registered Users Posts: 21,750 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

listermint wrote: »
    Of course there is, the only reason people buy diesel is because of the pump price.

and the only reason people by SUV style is because of ride height and perceived space. not many actually need one.

Not if it's 50% more expensive than the equivalent ICE it wont, like mad lad says above for the Zoe Clio comparison.

• Advertisement

The comparison should be against the Toyota C-HR Hybird, Juke 1.6 Petrol SVE, Audi Q2, T-Roc, Peugeot 2008 etc etc

The main comparison will probably against the hybrid C-HR

ELM327 wrote: »
    Not if it's 50% more expensive than the equivalent ICE it wont, like mad lad says above for the Zoe Clio comparison.

Those calculations of 50% are suspect.

My sister is law has C-HR, she is the exact target customer for this

No kids, disposible income, Dublin driver, maybe 1-2 trips per year outside Dublin(max distance 200km), daily driving at a push would be max 50km :P

37k or so she paid for a new top of the range every extra C-HR Hybrid because it was cheap to run:confused:

Those calculations of 50% are suspect.
    When a clio is 15-18k and a Zoe is 26-29k, no it's actually not.

Exactly, and I'm not running the Kona down but people who buy petrols today usually spend less a lot less than 30K.

What's the cost of the Kona again ?

• Advertisement

I suppose to be fair to the Zoe 110-130 Kms range was never going to win the hearts of Clio drivers, especially with a much higher list price.

So perhaps the Kona might sell well, who knows, hope it does but will it be in such limited supply like the Ioniq ?

Sorry but it actually is, you should compare it with i dont know its diesel variant.

and not a hatch city car....

No one was comparing the Kona to the Clio.

Sorry but it actually is, you should compare it with i dont know its diesel variant.

and not a hatch city car....

What is this I don't even?

I think you're missing the point. It was the mark up for a similar EV compared to a similar ICE. Clio vs Zoe was the comparison. Not Clio/Zoe vs Kona.

For Kona I think the equivalent is a Cashcow? Or an IX35? Or simply the ICE Kona?
    No one was comparing the Kona to the Clio.
    +1

What is this I don't even?

I think you're missing the point. It was the mark up for a similar EV compared to a similar ICE. Clio vs Zoe was the comparison. Not Clio/Zoe vs Kona.

For Kona I think the equivalent is a Cashcow? Or an IX35? Or simply the ICE Kona?

+1

But you compared a Poor EV to a good car

And a good EV to what ? not its equivalent ICE.

Therefore the calculations are suspect.

Exactly, and I'm not running the Kona down but people who buy petrols today usually spend less a lot less than 30K.

What's the cost of the Kona again ?

See above for person who spent above 30k for C-HR

I also have seen a good few C-HR on the roads in the last 15 months, all hybrids. The entry hybrid is 30k with delivery.

The top of range is 35k with delivery....

That the price bracket the Kona BEV will be looking at.....

But you compared a Poor EV to a good car

And a good EV to what ? not its equivalent ICE.

Therefore the calculations are suspect.
    The clio and the zoe are the same car, made on the same line in the same factory :confused:
    They are the same car, with different drivetrain.

The clio and the zoe are the same car, made on the same line in the same factory :confused:
    They are the same car, with different drivetrain.

Please dont infer the mechanicals versus what i was implying.

Range.

Very Poor EV, range for the price. hence its terrible sales.

In fact its such a poor comparison to make to the Kona i dont even know why it was bothered. .... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭positron

The main problem with Kona is going to be availability. I wonder if Hyundai are making these cars that such limited numbers to generate strong statistics to take to their key Investors.

Please dont infer the mechanicals versus what i was implying.

Range.

Very Poor EV, range for the price. hence its terrible sales.

In fact its such a poor comparison to make to the Kona i dont even know why it was bothered. .... :confused:
    Never compared it to the Kona.
    Other than as a mark up for EV.

I don't see why this is so difficult. Hell if Mad Lad gets it :cool::D:pac:

• Advertisement

Never compared it to the Kona.
    Other than as a mark up for EV.

I don't see why this is so difficult. Hell if Mad Lad gets it :cool::D:pac:

You are comparing a poor range EV with a terrible markup as an example of how the Kona may not sell .

I get it, your wrong.

No worries lets move along.

Anyway the Kona has a solid range as in the SUV crossover category anyone who thinks it wont sell well with availability will be highly mistaken.

Poor comparisons aside.

I hope the Kona doesn't sell well tbh.

Currently the second hand Ioniq market is so small that there is very little depreciation.

I want to be able to buy a second hand or ex demo 64kwh Kona for a good price!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,159 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cheapest C-HR is €27k and there are plenty of them around. If Hyundai Ireland can get the base Kona 40kWh in for a list price of around the same, it will sell every car they beg South Korea to put on a ship to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,159 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I want to be able to buy a second hand or ex demo 64kwh Kona for a good price!

Cheap second hand EVs are gone. And they won't be coming back any time soon. Leaf 24kWh is the only EV that gives good value for money second hand as we all know its limitations and it's also the only EV with a reasonable supply of second hand cars.

unkel wrote: »
    Cheap second hand EVs are gone. And they won't be coming back any time soon.

Shut it, spoilsport.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Just had a look around the Kona, (not the electric obviously) and it's very nice.

Not as small as I had feared, although the boot is quite a bit smaller than my Leaf.

Nice interior, much better than the 2018 Leaf. Nice layout. Not a bad looking car at all.

Yeah I sat in one a few weeks back. Not bad at all, more room than I expected too. I actually found it more comfortable in the back than the Ioniq. You sit more upright vs the sloped rear bench in the Ioniq. Less legroom of course but much better than expected.
    Cheapest C-HR is €27k and there are plenty of them around. If Hyundai Ireland can get the base Kona 40kWh in for a list price of around the same, it will sell every car they beg South Korea to put on a ship to Ireland.

Yeah Hyundai could do big damage if they price it right and don't screw up availability.

Was just looking at some of the registration stats there:

1,082 or almost 75% of all C-HRs registered so far this year are hybrids, minimum RRP of €29,350 up to €32,950 depending on trim, before options.

1,067 ICE Kona's registered here in the first 3 months of 2018. Nearly 800 of those are the 1.0 T-GDI C02 band B1, or in other words minimum RRP of €22,995 up to €26,595 depending on trim.

If the 40kWh undercuts the Hybrid C-HR it should do very well.

I wonder what will happen the RRP on the Ioniq with the release of the Kona.

Jaysus almighty in Heaven, no one was comparing the Kona to the Zoe/Clio at all, I'm sorry I mentioned it FFS :rolleyes:

The comparison I made was to the Clio and Zoe the fact that the petrol clio is by far the best selling Clio much more than even the diesel.

So my question was whether the same comparison would be made by the Kona EV and another similar Hyundai petrol or diesel.

Then I said that the range was rather poor for the 22 Kwh and then there was the cost, the cost of the clio averaged 15,000 Euros.

Another issue with the Zoe originally was the battery lease, I forgot about that.

Cheap second hand EVs are gone. And they won't be coming back any time soon. Leaf 24kWh is the only EV that gives good value for money second hand as we all know its limitations and it's also the only EV with a reasonable supply of second hand cars.

Not the 30 Kwh leaf, not many of those around unfortunately. Though 2019 should see more available as they reach 3 years old.

Oh, I got pics of the Kona and i3 parked beside each other. Will post later when I get more time so keep checking after 8:30 tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Oh, I got pics of the Kona and i3 parked beside each other. Will post later when I get more time so keep checking after 8:30 tonight.

Cool. I find automobiledimension.com good for comparing dimensions.

Tn918gv.png

Advertisement