Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Well, Nissan Leaf 2 starts FROM €34,890 in Netherlands... looks like they are worse off than us when it comes to tax etc.

https://www.nissan.nl/voertuigen/nieuw/leaf.html?&cid=psmIcS7zos8_dc|D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I wonder are those prices the OTR prices or before grants?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm 5'11 and didn't find the Kona overly squashed. It was the ICE version but I wouldn't expect the EV to be drastically different.

I sat in the front and adjusted to my driving position, then got in the back and compared.

Even if it is tight I wouldn't mind. Just 2 of us, no kids. And if we need to take the dogs/cats to kennels we can just fold down the seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,134 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Hold your horses! That's an ad from one particular Hyundai dealer. He is clearly just making up the price. Nothing has been announced yet.

Also our incentives are far more generous, list price for Ioniq is €28995 here and €33995 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

Its the first hard evidence I have seen on price in Europe,  taking the 5k difference there is with the Ioniq 
    there is still quite a gap to close to get to the 35k starting price  we were hoping for in Ireland .  Will ping Hyundai Ireland to see if they have any guide prices ,  they should start getting information on this in the coming days and weeks I am guessing

• Advertisement

It's not hard evidence, it's a maky uppy ad from one cheeky dealer :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Kona ICE is 23k on that site vs 50k Kona EV

Makes sense

thierry14 wrote: »
    Kona ICE is 23k on that site vs 50k Kona EV

Makes sense

No it doesn't make sense. It's a bloody click bait ad :p

unkel wrote: »
    No it doesn't make sense. It's a bloody click bait ad :p

Think your wrong here Unkel

Kona 64kWh is going to be a bit over 30k in the UK, guys on speakev convinced on that price

That translates to 40k or so here

That NL ad of 50k knocked down to our price range based on Leaf, Ioniq, Tesla, eGolf is 42k

That seems right to me

Sure even that half assed 40kWh Leaf is over 30k here

You really think that 200bhp/64kWh/450km range won't be 40k here?

Your dreaming imo

You know the EV market

Its on the way up, money to be made, they can charge what they want, people will buy anyway

Until Tesla come along with the Model 3 in massive volumes to distort the market, expect to be fleeced by big auto

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

UK Ioniq is 24,995 with grant, Irish Ioniq is 28,995 with grant.
    30,000 x 1.16 (Same ratio) translates to 34,800.

I'm predicting the Kona is more than likely going to be a 35k car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

liamog wrote: »
    UK Ioniq is 24,995 with grant, Irish Ioniq is 28,995 with grant.
    30,000 x 1.16 (Same ratio) translates to 34,800.

I'm predicting the Kona is more than likely going to be a 35k car.

We have all predicted and everyone has come to the same price:p

Any sign of actually pricing and pre-order?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Everyone except thierry14 who thinks 30k UK will be 40k Ireland.
    I believe the EU prices are due in May, not sure about Ireland.

Everyone except thierry14 who thinks 30k UK will be 40k Ireland.
    I believe the EU prices are due in May, not sure about Ireland.

Why would they sell for 35k when they can sell for 40k?

They will sell out at 40k no prob

They are only going to make 20k 64kWh units worldwide or something

Scandanavians would they take all them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Looks like that way indeed. Nissan's rapidgate and Tesla not producing enough Model 3s have left Hyundai in a really strong position to price it whatever way they want. I was hoping to spend around 30k on a 40kWh version (or 60kWh if the price difference is less thank 5k), fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

I'm following this with great interest,I could possibly stretch to 35k but any more and I'd have to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

positron wrote: »
    Looks like that way indeed. Nissan's rapidgate and Tesla not producing enough Model 3s have left Hyundai in a really strong position to price it whatever way they want. I was hoping to spend around 30k on a 40kWh version (or 60kWh if the price difference is less thank 5k), fingers crossed.

At the moment there is absolutely nothing wrong with Model 3 output.

The latest independent from Tesla estmates suugest output of 2400 cars/week. https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

Tesla-Model-3-tracker-as-of-April-9-18-1024x633.jpg

(source Bloomberg)

At that rate they are making more cars than all other (Europe/US available) manufacturers combined.

That 2400 was an "all hands on deck" dicated by Elon - probably to create some good news and to stem the plummeting share price. It worked (damn, I was just looking into buying a few shares), but realistically the production is only somewhere between 1000 and 1500

I'd be very suprised if the list price of Kona EV 40kWh will be above 29995 and 64kWh above 34995

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Asked my local dealer today and he had no clue. Says that Hyundai Ireland have given no info at all to the dealers other than that they expect it to be in the market in August but only in the "executive spec". No prices until closer to the time.

That 2400 was an "all hands on deck" dicated by Elon - probably to create some good news and to stem the plummeting share price. It worked (damn, I was just looking into buying a few shares), but realistically the production is only somewhere between 1000 and 1500

https://electrek.co/2018/04/06/tesla-model-3-registers-record-vins/

It seems like they are going to maintain output this time. Folks are keeping a close eye on these VIN registrations so we'll need to see if Tesla keep following up with these numbers week on week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

KCross wrote: »
    https://electrek.co/2018/04/06/tesla-model-3-registers-record-vins/

It seems like they are going to maintain output this time. Folks are keeping a close eye on these VIN registrations so we'll need to see if Tesla keep following up with these numbers week on week.

For the call it was all-hands-on 2020 cars/week. It has improved since then to the almost 2500/week.

• Advertisement

I'd be very suprised if the list price of Kona EV 40kWh will be above 29995 and 64kWh above 34995

Its still a hell of a lot more long range EVs than Hyundai are going to make

They want to make 100k all in for all models for the year

Tesla will make more Model 3 than that

If the Kona is 35k that's a reasonable price, as ICE high spec is going to be 25k or so

If its near 40k better buy a model 3 which is way faster and more range

I am confident Model 3 long range will be here sometime in 19

I am hoping I can get one for about 50k possibly inc Dual motor for 0-60 in 4s , wont bother with autopilot, waste of time that thing for my use

positron wrote: »

Exactly

Hyundai in a great position to make hay

Nissan have managed to raise price of the Leaf even with rapidgate issue, demand is massive

Hyundai will have the perfect EV

Fast/Long Range/Fast Charging/CUV

They are onto a winner and they know it

Can't be cheap to make the Kona 64kWh either

Its basically an LG Kona

They supply battery, drive train, cooling etc

Thats surely costing over 10-12k easy

The only extra cost between Ioniq and Kona is the liquid cooling.

With the way battery pack prices are progressing, a 2016 28kWh costs $1,300 dollars less than a 64kWh in 2019.
    The kWh price is dropping by around 20% per year.

I'm sure they made little or no profit on Ioniq, but Kona is a car that can make them spectacular profits (if they can get the batteries). Hyundai profit margin is already almost as high as BMW, which has the highest of any mainstream auto maker

Hyundai share price is very low (around the lowest it's been for 4 years) seemingly because of a mini fuel gate issue in the US, yet a US hedge fund took a 1 billion USD stake in the company last week, which only lifted the price a bit

Mmmmmm, maybe I'll throw a few dollaroos at it...

The only extra cost between Ioniq and Kona is the liquid cooling.

With the way battery pack prices are progressing, a 2016 28kWh costs $1,300 dollars less than a 64kWh in 2019.
    The kWh price is dropping by around 20% per year.

Thats for LG though

Hyundai are not in much of bargaining position when everyone wants batteries

I would be very surprised if they are getting it for less than 125/kWh

LG will have to make a healthy margin

Thats 8k on batteries alone

Hyundai share price is very low (around the lowest it's been for 4 years) seemingly because of a mini fuel gate issue in the US, yet a US hedge fund took a 1 billion USD stake in the company last week, which only lifted the price a bit

Mmmmmm, maybe I'll throw a few dollaroos at it...

Its at 151000KRW. Seems steady enough to me.

What stock symbol are you looking at? It looks stable enough to me over the last 3yrs. Its been about 3yrs since it was consistently above its current value so not low as such... just steady.

It took a dive in 2014 and hasn't significantly changed since.

thierry14 wrote: »
    Thats for LG though

Hyundai are not in much of bargaining position when everyone wants batteries

I would be very surprised if they are getting it for less than 125/kWh

LG will have to make a healthy margin

Thats 8k on batteries alone

The Ioniq was the same. LG supplied the main bits.

KCross wrote: »
    Its at 151000KRW. Seems steady enough to me.

What stock symbol are you looking at? It looks stable enough to me over the last 3yrs. Its been about 3yrs since it was consistently above its current value so not low as such... just steady.

Was looking at the GDR on the DAX

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

Have pinged HYundai Ireland on Facebook , they are usually pretty good with replies but I would expect the same answer your local dealer is giving. Time will tell

• Advertisement

The Carlow dealer claimed they knew nothing about the EV version of the Kona and were waiting for the diesel that's all they're interested in and were disappointed that there is no Diesel version now.

Advertisement