Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Moose Man v "Social Influencer"...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Stuckforcash

No idea why people are so in love with this guy.

Oh look another media whore stirring up controversy for attention/money. How refreshing...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,326 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You can tell her from her profile picture in fairness

Because we all trust profile pics...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah, just like my avatar is an accurate representation of what I look like and my age.

It was on Facebook, no need to act thick

fritzelly wrote: »
    Because we all trust profile pics...

Have you ever been on Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

No idea why people are so in love with this guy.

Oh look another media whore stirring up controversy for attention/money. How refreshing...

Personally, I don't particularly like him, I find that his snapchat is over indulgent and he irritates me quite a lot from a personal perspective. He spends half his days on holidays while the rest of us shmucks work, and the other half talking about how everyone he meets is 'very special'

When it comes to how he runs his business however, i think he's brilliant. I love his attitude of how customers can be wankers and he's not afraid to admit it or call them on it. In an age of kiss ass-ery when the customer is always right and, lets never upset a customer (the horror) he's not afraid to tell them to fuck off when needs be, and I think its quite refreshing. Like the video of the woman who scoffed her food down and never said a word, paid and left but left a bad review. He was dead right to call her out on it. She should have complained to the staff who could have done something about it, but chose not to and was rightly called on it imo.

• Advertisement

Have you ever been on Facebook?

Did you miss the sarcasm?

You're argument is invalid, for many many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Hey Hey Hey, stall the balls,
    No need for cyber fisty cuffs at this godly hour

Personally, I don't particularly like him, I find that his snapchat is over indulgent and he irritates me quite a lot from a personal perspective. He spends half his days on holidays while the rest of us shmucks work, and the other half talking about how everyone he meets is 'very special'

When it comes to how he runs his business however, i think he's brilliant. I love his attitude of how customers can be wankers and he's not afraid to admit it or call them on it. In an age of kiss ass-ery when the customer is always right and, lets never upset a customer (the horror) he's not afraid to tell them to fuck off when needs be, and I think its quite refreshing. Like the video of the woman who scoffed her food down and never said a word, paid and left but left a bad review. He was dead right to call her out on it. She should have complained to the staff who could have done something about it, but chose not to and was rightly called on it imo.
    From that pic she couldn't get it down fast enough

From that pic she couldn't get it down fast enough

My point exactly, she'd much rather leave a negative review than afford an establishment the opportunity to fix whatever fictitious issue she had, and that's not on. If I was in his shoes, I'd have done the same.

• Advertisement

You're argument is invalid, for many many reasons.

Except it is valid, the girl was 14. Now if your man thought it was a fake profile of someone pretending to be a young girl that would be a bit weird to be drawing attention to it

Except it is valid, the girl was 14. Now if your man thought it was a fake profile of someone pretending to be a young girl that would be a bit weird to be drawing attention to it

Say for a moment it was - does that mean she gets free reign because of her age? Do people of a certain age not have to live with the consequences of their actions, and should everyone make subjective judgements based on a profile pic before taking an individual to task over the potential damage they are doing to their professional reputation.

I agree she was stupid to do it in the first place and most likely lives(d) in the social justice warrior bubble, and so did he. Once he found out her age it was removed, and you can't say fairer than that.
    It's not my responsibility to find out how old you are or make that assumption about you based on a profile pic before I reply to something you potentially say to me.
    None of this, however takes away from the fact that the response was commensurate with her actions. She shouldn't have a) left a fake review, or b) involved herself in something that didn't concern her and none of it would have happened.

There are consequences for your actions, and people need to take responsibility for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

It's not in any way valid. He had no way of knowing her age as if that even matters, only that she lied in a review of his business that could cause damage to it. He was 100% correct in calling her out so publicy because if he didn't and the matter was handled quitely, the usual "no smoke without fire" types would still be harping on about it.

Do you seriously expect peope to believe that when seeing a bad review of their business, knowing it's complete lies, the owner is going to actually consider it might be a kid acting the bollocks on the internet and just let it go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

My favourite is when lovin dublin asked a pub that they had previously pilloried if they would give them a free christmas party in exchange for a write up:

That's hilarious. Lovin' Dublin has no principles.

There was furore over an article they wrote in which they laid into Roddy Doyle. Now, I'm not someone who thinks Doyle is above criticism. This was many people's problem with the article and that's silly, IMO. But the reason others criticised it was because the same writer that wrote the article had very recently before that written articles glowingly praising Doyle. So this one criticising him blatantly came across as trying desperately to be provocative.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Say for a moment it was - does that mean she gets free reign because of her age? Do people of a certain age not have to live with the consequences of their actions, and should everyone make subjective judgements based on a profile pic before taking an individual to task over the potential damage they are doing to their professional reputation.

I agree she was stupid to do it in the first place and most likely lives(d) in the social justice warrior bubble, and so did he. Once he found out her age it was removed, and you can't say fairer than that.
    It's not my responsibility to find out how old you are or make that assumption about you based on a profile pic before I reply to something you potentially say to me.
    None of this, however takes away from the fact that the response was commensurate with her actions. She shouldn't have a) left a fake review, or b) involved herself in something that didn't concern her and none of it would have happened.

There are consequences for your actions, and people need to take responsibility for that.

consiquences and responsibility are irrelevant here as the adult overstepped the mark. there is no excuse or justification for his behaviour and no amount of ranting and whining about consiquences and responsibility will change the reality. he was 100 times more wrong then she was as he is an adult.
    there are no defences for his actions, i'm afraid.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Not free reign B but I think when they are still young they need to be treated differently than adults, we do have childrens courts after all.

And yes I do think he should have made a subjective call based on the girls profile which does clearly indicate how young she is, he could just have deleted the review, reported her to facebook and moved on, not calling on all his fans to troll her, like some weird sort of mob justice.

Venom wrote: »
    It's not in any way valid. He had no way of knowing her age as if that even matters, only that she lied in a review of his business that could cause damage to it. He was 100% correct in calling her out so publicy because if he didn't and the matter was handled quitely, the usual "no smoke without fire" types would still be harping on about it.

Do you seriously expect peope to believe that when seeing a bad review of their business, knowing it's complete lies, the owner is going to actually consider it might be a kid acting the bollocks on the internet and just let it go!

he wasn't correct in "calling her out" publically, he was just looking for attention as per usual IMO. if he wants to "call out" people who leave bad reviews, go to the courts with a liable case.
    also "calling out" people doesn't stop the "no smoke without fire brigade"

he wasn't correct in "calling her out" publically, he was just looking for attention as per usual IMO. if he wants to "call out" people who leave bad reviews, go to the courts with a liable case.
    also "calling out" people doesn't stop the "no smoke without fire brigade"

She was lucky he didn't decide to sue her!

Venom wrote: »

Ah come on but he did, you see then profile photo and click on the profile from the review.

Delete/ report and move on, like every other business out there.

She was lucky he didn't decide to sue her!

maybe, but chances are she would have got a slap on the wrist and been told not to do it again.
    of course normal people would just report the review to facebook and move on.

• Advertisement

When it comes to how he runs his business however, i think he's brilliant. I love his attitude of how customers can be wankers and he's not afraid to admit it or call them on it. In an age of kiss ass-ery when the customer is always right...

That age has long since past so I don't think he's being in any way maverick. I've have a few bosses down the years who recognised when a customer wasn't work keeping but they dealt with it with a modicum of class unlike him.

If his parents didn't own the hotel, he'd be long since fired. He only gets away with for that reason and because it's budget accommodation which is a fairly precious commodity in any capital city. He attracts some customers with his antics but most certainly puts others off. I'd never stay there personally. One would be afraid to make a legitimate complaint to him (and every single one of us has had to make a legitimate complaint at some stage). I don't believe his approach overall brings in much more business when you consider than he probably puts off as many people as he attracts. A moderate approach would likely work just as well. Let's not pretend he's any kind of rebel. He's in a privileged position and is exploiting it like an overgrown spoilt child.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

consiquences and responsibility are irrelevant here as the adult overstepped the mark. there is no excuse or justification for his behaviour and no amount of ranting and whining about consiquences and responsibility will change the reality. he was 100 times more wrong then she was as he is an adult.

These self appointed liggers need to be confronted, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Didn't read the whole thread and I'm know it's been pointed out that surely this undermines her (and these influencers and review sites) because it's upfront that they'll obviously even big up a place they think is mediocre for a freebie. I guess their followers don't think fake reviews are problematic.

I don't care about fools like her or the fact that she got exposed but I too would avoid that cafe now because of how annoying and sanctimonious this and other stunts are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

rawn wrote: »
    WMC:

"I've just deleted my last post as I've learnt that the writer of the one star review was a 14-year old girl and she was getting abuse from followers. I'd like to remind everyone that the reader of a Facebook review does not know the age of its author nor whether the review is a piss take or a dare. When you write a fake negative review on a business you are seeking to damage the reputation of that business. I hope this incident will have taught the individual in question, and others, not to be writing false reviews on establishments for the purpose of piss-taking.

P.S. We have always and will always have soya milk in the cafe."

Reply from the original poster of the review:

"Thankyou Paul I really do appreciate you deleting it . I do understand that I shouldn't of posted the fake review and that it was wrong to do and thanks to the people that understood me.it was stupid of me to post the fake review and I truly apologise , I'm sure the white moose cafe is a great place and I have learnt to be more safer on the internet and to not do anything like this again . Thankyou again Paul.

WMC:

No worries at all, *name*. Sorry for any abuse by some of the followers. Call into the cafe sometime and I'll buy you a coffee! Cows milk only though!!!

.... Followed by many happy, supportive comments directed towards the reviewer.

I dictinctly remember a guy commenting something negative on his status once. Turns out this guy owned a barbershop, had a business facebook page but wasn't very active, i.e. Had a modest following. The negative comment wasn't even bad but his business facebook was shared over social media platforms and followers were actively encouraged to bombard that mans business with (fake) negative reviews from people who had never been there. Hes addicted to attention seeking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yeah sure, I don't like your man either. I don't follow anyone, whether him or her, whether on Twitter, Snapchat, or whatnot.
    But I like that he's calling out bloggers on how vacuous their "reviews" are, and how meaningless their self-appointed "job", when they expect to be paid in free stays and freebies in general.

"Social influencers" decide that they're going to use business and public and attempt to link the 2 in order to live a great life.

If it works for them, good, but they also have to accept that businesses and sections of the public are under no obligation to ride along with their idea, and that some businesses and some sections of the public will (oh shocker) disagree with this as a business idea. And whatever businesses and public disagree are perfectly entitled to express that publicly.

If a social influencer has a problem receiving feedback from one of the main actors in their business model, then they shouldn't engage in that career.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,557 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    She was 14.

She did a silly thing.

I'd say some children around that age have more brains and less ignorance than some adults these days to be honest.

Youth does not automatically equal ignorance.

Having said that he didn't know and would surely never have responded had he had known.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

But he has just replaced the customer is always right mantra with the customer is always wrong. Neither are ideal or good for business. Like Dara said, he's lucky he has mammy and daddy's business to bankroll him because he'd be long gone from any other establishment the big bowsie head on him. He's just as "positive vibes only please" as any blogger he seeks to ridicule.

anna080 wrote: »
    But he has just replaced the customer is always right mantra with the customer is always wrong. Neither are ideal or good for business. Like Dara said, he's lucky he has mammy and daddy's business to bankroll him because he'd be long gone from any other establishment the big bowsie head on him. He's just as "positive vibes only please" as any blogger he seeks to ridicule.

“big bowsie head” :D:D:D

You continually ignore that at the time of posting he wasn't aware of her age.......
    Not free reign B but I think when they are still young they need to be treated differently than adults, we do have childrens courts after all.

And yes I do think he should have made a subjective call based on the girls profile which does clearly indicate how young she is, he could just have deleted the review, reported her to facebook and moved on, not calling on all his fans to troll her, like some weird sort of mob justice.

I accept that that's your opinion and I choose to disagree with you. PS, I don't think the hotel can remove reviews, just like trip advisor
    _Dara_ wrote: »
    That age has long since past so I don't think he's being in any way maverick. I've have a few bosses down the years who recognised when a customer wasn't work keeping but they dealt with it with a modicum of class unlike him.

If his parents didn't own the hotel, he'd be long since fired. He only gets away with for that reason and because it's budget accommodation which is a fairly precious commodity in any capital city. He attracts some customers with his antics but most certainly puts others off. I'd never stay there personally. One would be afraid to make a legitimate complaint to him (and every single one of us has had to make a legitimate complaint at some stage). I don't believe his approach overall brings in much more business when you consider than he probably puts off as many people as he attracts. A moderate approach would likely work just as well. Let's not pretend he's any kind of rebel. He's in a privileged position and is exploiting it like an overgrown spoilt child.

On the contrary, he has said on more than one occasion that he is quite happy to deal with complaints as they arise. For instance, there's a problem with your room and you complain to reception they will deal with it there and then - likewise in the cafe. He takes issue (and rightly so) with people that don't afford them the opportunity to rectify the problem and just bitch in a negative review instead.

I think a lot of people in retail will disagree that this time has passed too, as is evident in some threads on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

On the contrary, he has said on more than one occasion that he is quite happy to deal with complaints as they arise. For instance, there's a problem with your room and you complain to reception they will deal with it there and then - likewise in the cafe. He takes issue (and rightly so) with people that don't afford them the opportunity to rectify the problem and just bitch in a negative review instead.

Eh that's a lie though. His whole "I'll shoot all the vegans" controversy arose from a woman's complaint there there was nothing on the entire menu for her and they wouldn't customise. How hard it is to "deal with it there and then" and make her a mushroom toastie or something? My sister is severely lactose intolerant and I would never go to his cafe for fear that a similar request would make us (and obviously all lactose intolerant people since this is how he operates) his public enemy of the day. But I'm sure he got a lot of fans out of it to compensate.

He's a social influencer himself, it's just his flavour is trolling for self-promotion instead of paid promotion.

Advertisement