Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Young Scientist - is there something fishy? MOD Note in OP

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Judge and chair of the biological and ecological sciences category Prof John O’Halloran, said: “This is a really exciting project which explores the possibility of the blackberry leaf extract’s ability to control harmful bacteria.

“The unexpected findings deliver a unique approach to killing bacteria using natural plant active ingredients. The rigour of the approach adopted by Simon set his project apart from competitors and made him our overall winner.”

Did anyone ever establish if the judge in the winning category, who is from Cork and has links to the winners mother, is related to Dr. Fiona O'Halloran, who is a colleague of winners mother?

http://biologicalsciences.cit.ie/staff

• Registered Users Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭josip

The Irish Times seems to have become the BTYS puff piece paper of choice.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the IT will assist in circling the wagons.

zYGFkKB.png

http://www.ucd.ie/news/2012/06JUN12/180612-UCD-Bloomsday-celebrates-film-with-honorary-degrees-for-citation-dr-tony-scott.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I’ve stated previously that I won’t point any finger on any one individual in terms of this years winming entry, simply because I don’t agree that’s the way to go.

but very happy to attack the “process” . I do think it’s something that needs attention so that future winners don’t have to be subjected to this level of criticism again.

Sorry that is typical of the cr** that comes out of Dept of Health and HSE when another cockup is revealed.
    It is always a systemic failure, it is never a person or persons that should be held responsible.

Unless this years winner is scrutinised and held up for what it appears to be then nothing will seriously change and we will be back here again at some point discussing almost the exact same thing.
    Except I expect parents to be cleverer in the future and maybe use the research linked to a colleague rather than their own.

Why should this years winner benefit at the expense of all the other kids, especially the kids that did something original and didn't have access to two third level institutions, a major teaching hospital and probably a host of scientific researchers.
    Replicating or adding to PHD level research is simply not what YS was about in my day.

Saying that, in these times of innovation, ideas can’t be stifled either. I don’t think there’s a solution to the concept of “fairness” because there’s unfairness in society. But certainly I don’t want to see these type of threads next year.

Where is the fairness for the other competitors without the contacts and close proximity to third level resources and science labs?

Or are you actually saying this should now be held up as an example to kids about how actually unfair the world is, and in particular how unfair Ireland is.

Should it just be that kids can enter the Young Scientist Exhibition and get a front seat with an introduction to Ireland's true way of getting ahead where it is not really what you know, but who you know.

And as for stifling ideas, this kids ideas look very worringly similar to those of his mother's research students.

I used to look at prospective schools for my kids that had history of entries in Young Scientist as being a positive.
    Now I think they are either shams or a bit stupid in that they haven't copped on it is basically a fix for the connected ones.

We have learned a lot over the last couple of decades about our clergy, the church, the bankers, the regulators, our politicians, our Gardaour charities, but now to top it off the primary competition for kids who are interested in science is a farce where yet again the connected ones have the jump on the rest.
    deezell wrote: »
    I couldn't have said it better. In the interests of child protection, I feel the above should be the last post. This thread has made it's point and can be safely closed.

Ahh FFS.
    Yeah lets sweep it all under the carpet and get back to the usual pretence we are great what with all the brilliant young scientists we are producing, particularly in Cork I might add. :rolleyes:
    Wombatman wrote: »
    Did anyone ever establish if the judge in the winning category, who is from Cork and has links to the winners mother, is related to Dr. Fiona O'Halloran, who is a colleague of winners mother?

No one ever answered that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Wombatman wrote: »

'Nothing to see here, move along.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

deezell wrote: »
    This thread has made it's point and can be safely closed.

"safely closed" :rolleyes:

Just because you want to shut down the discussion doesnt mean other people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Absolutely right, this isn't going away. People are rightly p!ssed off about this and what it means for future YS competitions. I find it great that the people who appear to have scientific training are the most aghast at these shenanigans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Staph wrote: »
    Absolutely right, this isn't going away. People are rightly p!ssed off about this and what it means for future YS competitions. I find it great that the people who appear to have scientific training are the most aghast at these shenanigans.

Yeah, it’s kind of lingering, isn’t it? Miss BTYS public relations lady seemed a bit irritated a few days ago on Twitter. Maybe because people weren’t blinded by her mad PR skillz. Doesn’t she know that we science peeps are total dry shítes who view the world somewhat dispassionately? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Yeah, it’s kind of lingering, isn’t it? Miss BTYS public relations lady seemed a bit irritated a few days ago on Twitter. Maybe because people weren’t blinded by her mad PR skillz. Doesn’t she know that we science peeps are total dry shítes who view the world somewhat dispassionately? :P

Most of us aren't easily swayed by platitudes and feigned 'concern' etc. Takes a bit more than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Indeed, we won't be moved by PR buzzwords and we are pretty thick skinned. Calling us trolls won't phase us.

Aye
    She'll have to be more specific

http://n4g.com/user/blogpost/iceman06/526262

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was there ever any mention of the post-grad(?) student who worked on the original research with the mother? Do we know if their work was credited at any point? I was kinda wondering how they might feel in all this.

Risk of raising a zombie thread but here goes.

Why is there so little publicity online outside the BTYS competition this year? Answers on a postcard please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Risk of raising a zombie thread but here goes.

Why is there so little publicity online outside the BTYS competition this year? Answers on a postcard please.

It’s gone online for this year so not as many people even entered it, pity, any COVID casualty !!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

solerina wrote: »
    It’s gone online for this year so not as many people even entered it, pity, any COVID casualty !!
    Good thing British Telecom isn't affected by Brexit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭jmcc

Weren't many Third Level labs closed last year? ;) Seriously though: Covid.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement