Advertisement
Where is Report Post on mobile? We've made a slight change, see here
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

General Dunshaughlin news

145791026

Comments



  • They made Fidelmas look lovely




  • So what did everyone make of the Dunshaughlin Harvest Festival? I have to admit, we were pleasantly surprised when we took a stroll to the park on Saturday at lunch. There was a great buzz around the place and fair dues to the committee and volunteers who organised everything. There was a nice selection of food and a good local band playing when we were there. Overall, it was great to get out and bump into a few of the neighbours!

    I'd have no doubt the festival will only get bigger over the next few years, I can see the whole park being utilised down the line. It really does build a great sense of community for the village.

    Ya wouldn't have the likes of that in Ratoath now, would ya...!!! ;)




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    So what did everyone make of the Dunshaughlin Harvest Festival? I have to admit, we were pleasantly surprised when we took a stroll to the park on Saturday at lunch. There was a great buzz around the place and fair dues to the committee and volunteers who organised everything. There was a nice selection of food and a good local band playing when we were there. Overall, it was great to get out and bump into a few of the neighbours!

    I'd have no doubt the festival will only get bigger over the next few years, I can see the whole park being utilised down the line. It really does build a great sense of community for the village.

    Ya wouldn't have the likes of that in Ratoath now, would ya...!!! ;)

    The festival definitely brings a community vibe to Dunshaughlin for the few days. I think that is something very important in a town whose population and demographics are changing rapidly.

    The only thing I would change about it is to give it a very specific theme. The "Harvest festival" is a generic theme and there are heaps of them around the country. I was driving through Kilkenny there a few weeks ago and a town (I can't remember the name) had a scarecrow festival. I think you are inclined to visitors from outside the village to attend a specifically themed festival.




  • The festival was really good this year but for me it seems quite isolated in the park and could do with being spread around the village.
    Im at the Navan end of the village and we were stuck with the bloody carnival with non stop noise all day and up to just after 9pm. This also attracted every teenager around and led to quite a lot of trouble even attracting two squad cars on Saturday night and it looks like someone got attacked at the old Dillons estate agents and ran down to Peters leaking blood all the way.
    I would really like not to see the carnival return and for the festival to rely on more local entertainers




  • Borderfox wrote: »
    The festival was really good this year but for me it seems quite isolated in the park and could do with being spread around the village.
    Im at the Navan end of the village and we were stuck with the bloody carnival with non stop noise all day and up to just after 9pm. This also attracted every teenager around and led to quite a lot of trouble even attracting two squad cars on Saturday night and it looks like someone got attacked at the old Dillons estate agents and ran down to Peters leaking blood all the way.
    I would really like not to see the carnival return and for the festival to rely on more local entertainers

    Still blood stains on the ground as of yesterday!!

    Went down to the park for a couple of hours Saturday. There was a good buzz about the place.


  • Advertisement


  • Borderfox wrote: »
    The festival was really good this year but for me it seems quite isolated in the park and could do with being spread around the village.

    Im at the Navan end of the village and we were stuck with the bloody carnival with non stop noise all day and up to just after 9pm. This also attracted every teenager around and led to quite a lot of trouble even attracting two squad cars on Saturday night and it looks like someone got attacked at the old Dillons estate agents and ran down to Peters leaking blood all the way.

    I would really like not to see the carnival return and for the festival to rely on more local entertainers
    I only heard this in passing but I believe the blood stains were as a result of someone getting cut on broken glass, rather than an attack.
    Mind you, it's not much consolation that we had broken glass all around the place. That is still a problem in and of itself.

    I would have to agree with your sentiments though, about the isolation of the park. There was a much better buzz about the place in previous years when the village was closed off and we had the market in super valu car park.

    I imagine the logistics of putting on the festival are probably much handier for the committee though, with everything contained in the park.
    Perhaps they were forced into it because of problems with super valu and also maybe the council/local businesses objected to closing down the village for a whole weekend?




  • While it is always better to have a festival in any town centre with regards to atmosphere, there's no doubt that logistically it has to be in the park, and will most certainly be going forward. I was speaking with a committee member and they told me they could have doubled the amount of stalls in the park, but didn't have permission from Meath CC. Something to do with the paths I think. I'd say it will rapidly expand next year. There were plenty of families in their twenties and thirties which was great to see.

    Also, I think having the carnival on the other side of the village (while it doesn't suit some) creates a reason for people to travel through the village. The slime fest thing by Euromart was a great success also. Maybe more stuff like that dotted around the village next year would be a good addition.




  • I really enjoyed the festival this year, but do agree that moving everything to the park creates less buzz around the town as nearly everything is focused on one spot rather than dotted around the town. I'd imagine it's just alot more convenient to have everything centered in the park and less of a disruption to local business and traffic.




  • Borderfox wrote: »
    The festival was really good this year but for me it seems quite isolated in the park and could do with being spread around the village.
    Im at the Navan end of the village and we were stuck with the bloody carnival with non stop noise all day and up to just after 9pm. This also attracted every teenager around and led to quite a lot of trouble even attracting two squad cars on Saturday night and it looks like someone got attacked at the old Dillons estate agents and ran down to Peters leaking blood all the way.
    I would really like not to see the carnival return and for the festival to rely on more local entertainers

    I believe Lidl also offered their car park to host a few things so maybe next year they might hold some events there




  • I must say I was never in Dunshaughlin until last weekend and I really did like the feel of the place. The main street has a much nicer look than any of the surrounding towns.

    I was over looking at some houses in the new developments on the road opposite the Lidl that goes down beside the bank and they are very nice houses.

    Whats the story with getting to Dublin via the bus services? How reliable are they? Do they arrive on time and if so is it possible to get a seat on them?


  • Advertisement


  • 2 options for buses are Bus Éireann 109/109B which leaves from Bank of Ireland and the Sillan coach which leaves from Foleys Auctioneers. Personally I find Sillan better regards reliability, comfort and journey times (non stop into town after Dunshaughlin and returns home via Port Tunnel M50 to avoid Navan Road). Bus Éireann is more frequent every 20 mins or so between 7 and 9am. Both buses are very busy during college term and it’s best to arrive 10 mins before pick up to ensure you don’t get left waiting at the end of the queue for the next one. Queue hopping is not to be encouraged. I have seen many a rookie reprimanded verbally by the regulars!! 😂 The train service from M3 Parkway will get you into Docklands in about 40 mins if that’s any help?




  • ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    I must say I was never in Dunshaughlin until last weekend and I really did like the feel of the place. The main street has a much nicer look than any of the surrounding towns.

    I was over looking at some houses in the new developments on the road opposite the Lidl that goes down beside the bank and they are very nice houses.

    Whats the story with getting to Dublin via the bus services? How reliable are they? Do they arrive on time and if so is it possible to get a seat on them?

    Hi ToxicPaddy, rather that answer your question in relation to the bus service from Dunshaughlin, I'm going to re-direct you to page 14 on another thread which has discussed this very question (starting from post #196), it might be a help to you.




  • Thanks guys, both very helpful.

    I'm back again this weekend for another look. Who knows it might be a service I may be using in the future :)




  • The village is looking great up at the Nothern end now with all the work they did to the pavements when Lidl was being built. I did hear there was a problem with the location of the bus stop in relation to the retail units and visibility


    IMG_20181126_122026_zpsahnzvtkk.jpg

    IMG_20181126_122033_zpshdv3ntat.jpg




  • One thing I have noticed in the past month or so. There are a lot of very dubious characters coming into the village, I think from Dublin, to steal stuff and then go back on the bus.



    In Lidl about a month ago I was approached by a junkie asking "ware r alll de chicken currrysss and stuff matttte" guy was off his head and looked homeless.


    Yesterday while getting the bus to town (I do this about twice a year) there was a woman off her head hiding in the bushes at the Bank of Ireland roaring to her fella across the road. They both had shopping bags and looked very sketchy. When the fella came to the bus stop he had a bag full of spirits that he proceeded to offer to some 17 year old girls heading into town. He was totally off his head and there is no way he had the money to buy all the bottles of vodka, whiskey etc in the bad. Robbed from Lidl I suspect. He was rough as hell with a very strong dub accent.



    Changing times in Dunshaughlin and worth staying vigilant!



    In general however - 99% of the time its a lovely village to live in.




  • I see work started yesterday (Saturday 1st Dec 2018) gutting Tara News in the village, signage over the door was also removed, I wonder what the new owners are planning for this good location? It's a changing time for the village as Tara News has been in business in the village for about 40 years. Can anyone remember when it first opened?




  • Supervalu own it now




  • Borderfox wrote: »
    Supervalu own it now

    yep, Tara News is now basically Super Valu lite. The SuperValu branding is across the store front but they are also keeping Tara News in the title, more like SuperValu Tara News.




  • GeneHunt wrote:
    I see work started yesterday (Saturday 1st Dec 2018) gutting Tara News in the village, signage over the door was also removed, I wonder what the new owners are planning for this good location? It's a changing time for the village as Tara News has been in business in the village for about 40 years. Can anyone remember when it first opened?


    Those units were built around 1980-81 I recall.




  • Has anyone any idea of a timescale for Virgin Media rollout in Dunshaughlin?


  • Advertisement


  • Metalpanic wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea of a timescale for Virgin Media rollout in Dunshaughlin?

    unfortunately Virgin Media keep details of all roll-outs very private, but they were very busy in the run up to Christmas having laid fibre across much of Dunshaughlin urban area, similar situation too with Siro.

    At a guess I reckon the service should be launched before the summer.




  • I notice there is a lot of controversy around the removal of trees in College Park on the FB page. It sure is sad to see them go. Cllr Gerry O Connor seems to be up to his neck in it, trying to please all sides.




  • Ridiculous having such tall trees in a residential area




  • 303433: Lands to the north of R147/Dublin Road, Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath.
    Case Type: Application - Housing Act 2017 Application
    Description: 913 no. residential units (505 no. houses, 186 no. duplexes and 222 no. apartments), neighbourhood centre, childcare facility and all associated site works.

    913 homes - that would be huge by Dublin standards, not to mind a small town (or is it still referred to as a village?) like Dunshaughlin - if we were to say an average of 2 per home, that's 1800 extra people for the area! Can Dunshaughlin handle it or has the M3 bypass made it feasible for Dunshaughlin to handle such massive residential developments.




  • This will have a horrible effect on traffic. Its like Meath Council have not learned from the Ratoath experience.




  • and yet all the decent jobs will still be in Dublin! Why can't industries be enticed to set up in Navan? So much talent that's forced to spend hours commuting each day!




  • chewed wrote: »
    and yet all the decent jobs will still be in Dublin! Why can't industries be enticed to set up in Navan? So much talent that's forced to spend hours commuting each day!

    Unfortunately most multi-national companies want to locate in the heart of a big urban area (more convenient for visiting clients or staff (hotels etc) and easier to draw from a talent pool with the desired skill sets who may already be working in neighbouring companies in the same district (eg IFSC, Google Docks etc) and is more appealing to a wider pool of job hunters due to transport hubs located nearby.




  • ongarboy wrote: »
    303433: Lands to the north of R147/Dublin Road, Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath.
    Case Type: Application - Housing Act 2017 Application
    Description: 913 no. residential units (505 no. houses, 186 no. duplexes and 222 no. apartments), neighbourhood centre, childcare facility and all associated site works.

    913 homes - that would be huge by Dublin standards, not to mind a small town (or is it still referred to as a village?) like Dunshaughlin - if we were to say an average of 2 per home, that's 1800 extra people for the area! Can Dunshaughlin handle it or has the M3 bypass made it feasible for Dunshaughlin to handle such massive residential developments.

    I reckon Dunshaughlin would cope with it well but for it to work we would need

    - extra buses to and from Dublin
    - 1 more Supermarket
    - another primary school and extension to the Community College
    - a Garda station that opens
    - a proper Car Park, not just parking at supermarkets
    - a few more restaurants
    - a pub with proper craft beer
    - a community leisure center
    - we're sorted for hair dressers
    - a new spur road connecting Dublin side of Dunshaughlin to M3 putting less of a stress on the main street.




  • ongarboy wrote: »
    Unfortunately most multi-national companies want to locate in the heart of a big urban area (more convenient for visiting clients or staff (hotels etc) and easier to draw from a talent pool with the desired skill sets who may already be working in neighbouring companies in the same district (eg IFSC, Google Docks etc) and is more appealing to a wider pool of job hunters due to transport hubs located nearby.

    That was my original point! There's already a huge talent pool who are forced to live outside of Dublin. With the M3, it's not that far either for travelling clients.


  • Advertisement


  • Gonzo wrote: »
    I reckon Dunshaughlin would cope with it well but for it to work we would need

    - extra buses to and from Dublin
    - 1 more Supermarket
    - another primary school and extension to the Community College
    - a Garda station that opens
    - a proper Car Park, not just parking at supermarkets
    - a few more restaurants
    - a pub with proper craft beer
    - a community leisure center
    - we're sorted for hair dressers
    - a new spur road connecting Dublin side of Dunshaughlin to M3 putting less of a stress on the main street.

    Unfortunately Meath County Council have other plans and the spur road you mention connecting the Dublin side of Dunshaughlin to the M3 (southern side) is not part of their plan and probably never will! Their plan has already started with the new road into the Willows on the Dublin side, that new road will (I believe) form part of a "ring" road around Dunshaughlin, on the northern side, crossing the Lagore road then the Ratoath Road (R125) and continue on to join the Navan Road somewhere near the water tower (I think), however, I'm not sure if the Grangehall Road will form part of this future "ring" road.


Advertisement