Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Dunshaughlin news

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

Anyone noticed water from the mains is discoloured?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

We ate in Wokpok last night, we usually get a Chinese from the Golden Phoenix about once a month if we've had a few scoops the night before. We both agreed we'll stick with the Golden Phoenix for out monthly Chinese fix...

The got a fairly simple order wrong, the chicken was rubbery and the 'home made' sauces were poor. I was hoping for a Camile Thai style place, but they're going for the same product as Dragon Takeaway and Golden Phoenix and the quality of their meat isn't as good as the latter.

Bella Cafe was just located in the wrong place and I think the decor was very 1990's. I think it's a good point re the pubs being empty on a Friday night, therefore questioning the true need for a restaurant. Still though, I do feel the village/town could definitely do with one good place to eat.

Also, I wonder if The Willows are going to expand at the rate originally expected...? House prices dropping significantly, and many are saying demand is already being met in places like Dunshaughlin. Fairfields are doing show houses for over 8 months now and it isn't a massive estate, Dun Rioga still has houses for sale, so maybe there won't be the explosion of housing people thought.

The parking going into Maldeuin alongside the new apartment block build definitely has to be sorted, there's cars taking up too much of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Exile59 wrote: »
    We ate in Wokpok last night, we usually get a Chinese from the Golden Phoenix about once a month if we've had a few scoops the night before. We both agreed we'll stick with the Golden Phoenix for out monthly Chinese fix...

The got a fairly simple order wrong, the chicken was rubbery and the 'home made' sauces were poor. I was hoping for a Camile Thai style place, but they're going for the same product as Dragon Takeaway and Golden Phoenix and the quality of their meat isn't as good as the latter.

Bella Cafe was just located in the wrong place and I think the decor was very 1990's. I think it's a good point re the pubs being empty on a Friday night, therefore questioning the true need for a restaurant. Still though, I do feel the village/town could definitely do with one good place to eat.

Also, I wonder if The Willows are going to expand at the rate originally expected...? House prices dropping significantly, and many are saying demand is already being met in places like Dunshaughlin. Fairfields are doing show houses for over 8 months now and it isn't a massive estate, Dun Rioga still has houses for sale, so maybe there won't be the explosion of housing people thought.

The parking going into Maldeuin alongside the new apartment block build definitely has to be sorted, there's cars taking up too much of the road.

As Wokpok has just opened in the last week or so, and I wish them all the best in the future, but I think we should give them a few days (2 - 3 weeks max) grace to try to iron out any issues they may have starting off, however if they don't fix these issues, they will not last. Another issue for them, which is outside there control, is parking or access to parking, I think a takeaway needs about 3 to 4 spaces minimum, if you can't park near a takeaway, you'll not us it. Take The Golden Phoenix for example, they would have that and at peak times even more then that. Wokpok will have to share the limited number of spaces on the main street with Macari's and possibly even Apache Pizza, as the car park in the Ivy Hall is closed to public access with the last few years and parking in front of Apache Pizza can be difficult.

I think it can be difficult to park (short term - say 10 - 15 minutes) on the main street at times to just run into any shop or takeaway, there are a number of vehicles (that I could name) parked on the main street all day Monday to Friday. I don't know if they know it, but they are hurting the trade in the village, these people are working in or owning the businesses in the village. I frequently have to park in the Lidl car park these days, just to use the ATM at Boyle Sports or to pick up some other bits and bobs from the village. I could use the SuperValu car park, but getting out on the main street again at Tara News can be a nightmare.
    Gonzo wrote: »
    ...There was a decent Italian restaurant in Dunshaughlin nearly a decade ago behind Ivy Hall in a terrible location, they didn't do any marketing and they closed...

The Italian was called Venice Restaurant, I totally agree as to the location, but that size unit needs to be on the main street with easy access to car parking. We regularly used it as a take away and sometimes as a restaurant, I would say 80% of footfall to Venice that time was takeaway, but getting in and out of that location just wasn't easy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like I'll have to continue getting my Chinese takeaways from Ratoath. Dunshaughlin seems to be plagued with poor/average quality takeaways.

The new LED street lights are getting installed on the poles today on the Drumree Road, with probably switching on of these new lights to be 23rd Dec 2019 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Could do with lights all the way up to the bridge at Leshamstown lane and then between the roundabout at the new estate all the way to the Battertown/Trim roundabout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Looks like Boyne dental is in the unit in between Costa and the Chemist

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Borderfox wrote: »
    Looks like Boyne dental is in the unit in between Costa and the Chemist

was hoping something more interesting would move in there. Dunshaughlin is well catered for now with dental surgery's, pharmacy's and hairdressers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Maysa07

GeneHunt wrote: »
    The new LED street lights are getting installed on the poles today on the Drumree Road, with probably switching on of these new lights to be 23rd Dec 2019 :rolleyes:

Just need the ramps installed now and it will be safer.

Dunshaughlin Harvest Festival is next weekend, unfortunately I am expecting the weekend to be a washout, the forecast is very poor for the next 10 days. Hopefully it won't be as bad as predicted, the festival was a washout 2 years ago, hopefully this year won't be a repeat.

• Advertisement

I heard a rumour that the amusements are not coming to the Dunshaughlin Harvest Festival this weekend, did anyone else hear it?

I heard a rumour that the amusements are not coming to the Dunshaughlin Harvest Festival this weekend, did anyone else hear it?

Please God they aren't

The forecast is so bad, they probably know it isn't worth it.

There is a planning application notice gone up on the derelict site beside me (opposite the arch bar) for a retail unit???? And 14 apartments

They cant even rent the units they have

Yes, they will be here again this year! Personally i love it. My daughter has a great time at it. I know there is a social issue around them but can great fun during the day. If it is raining, It will be slightly messy im sure. :)

Harvest festival .pdf..

http://dunfest.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Dunfest-19-web.pdf

There is a planning application notice gone up on the derelict site beside me (opposite the arch bar) for a retail unit???? And 14 apartments

They cant even rent the units they have

Wow, Is there even room for 14 apartments on that little site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I was jogging down from The Willows towards the Industrioal estate at 5.30am this morning and saw someone standing just before the bus-stop.
    Thought he looked weird and as I was getting closer I was thinking this fella is very strange.

As I got within a few feet I realised it was one of those straw men dressed up as a worked with hard hat etc for the festival.

It was misty this morning and seeing this creepy fcuker standing in near the hedge had me right on edge ! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I was jogging down from The Willows towards the Industrioal estate at 5.30am this morning and saw someone standing just before the bus-stop.
    Thought he looked weird and as I was getting closer I was thinking this fella is very strange.

As I got within a few feet I realised it was one of those straw men dressed up as a worked with hard hat etc for the festival.

It was misty this morning and seeing this creepy fcuker standing in near the hedge had me right on edge ! lol

There was one at the irish school as well that i saw when out walking the dogs last night, threw me for a minute too :D:D

Please God they aren't

They are, they are in the field beside the Arch Bar setting up.

• Advertisement

Yeah seen that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Just seen them there, hope people have wellies! It's going to be mental this weekend, especially with the influx of new families over the last few months.

I think the more amusements, the more scary straw men, the more fuss and effort made in Dunshaughlin this weekend, the better!

As someone from outside the area I think it really is such a great reflection of the town and brings a great sense of community spirit and a little bit of pride to the place. Far too many towns like Ashbourne and Ratoath are over run with us outsiders and are totally losing their sense of identity (how about Ashbourne Credit Union congratulation 'their' senior footballers on winning the 5 in a row....!) so it is great to see both locals and those who have moved here to create a sense of community at the end of September every year.

A harvest festival keeps the sense of a small town community while still embracing inevitable development and progression away from actually being a small town.

As the old saying .. "no such thing bad weather just inappropriate clothing"

Should be a great few days.

Dropped down to the festival yesterday and it was very well run.

Good fun and the kids had fun.

Dropped down to the festival yesterday and it was very well run.

Good fun and the kids had fun.

we were very lucky with the weather considering the forecast leading up to it. Most of the rain fell at night when we were all asleep. Saturday was a bit damp and cool but yesterday was a lovely day for it.

• Advertisement

I see the empty butcher's building opposite the pharmacy/Tara News now has a reserved sign. Wonder what's going in there, hope it's not another pharmacy or hairdressers.

I see the empty butcher's building opposite the pharmacy/Tara News now has a reserved sign. Wonder what's going in there, hope it's not another pharmacy or hairdressers.

It could be a Chinese Take away!!!

I understand Massimo's Restaurant closed there doors last night, and is going to be refurnished over the next few weeks and is to re-open again before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

The fitters have the place pulled apart already,hopefully theyll actually serve pizzas once they reopen....

A320 wrote: »
    The fitters have the place pulled apart already,hopefully theyll actually serve pizzas once they reopen....

They would be very foolish to do all this refurbishment and not put in a pizza oven. No doubt this was hurting their business. Not a restaurant to bring kids to when all they want is pizza.

• Advertisement

Some mentioned this in my timeline earlier not sure if its related...https://linolaboutique.com/

Some mentioned this in my timeline earlier not sure if its related...https://linolaboutique.com/

Is this where Utopia Boutique used to be, I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

I think the more amusements, the more scary straw men, the more fuss and effort made in Dunshaughlin this weekend, the better!

As someone from outside the area I think it really is such a great reflection of the town and brings a great sense of community spirit and a little bit of pride to the place. Far too many towns like Ashbourne and Ratoath are over run with us outsiders and are totally losing their sense of identity (how about Ashbourne Credit Union congratulation 'their' senior footballers on winning the 5 in a row....!) so it is great to see both locals and those who have moved here to create a sense of community at the end of September every year.

A harvest festival keeps the sense of a small town community while still embracing inevitable development and progression away from actually being a small town.
    Agree with all of the above...you have to hand it to the organisers and volunteers. Possibly the best year so far. My wife and I went to the variety show on the Friday evening. We were both really impressed with the professionalism of the presentation and the quality of the performers etc...ten out of ten.

CUCINA wrote: »
    Agree with all of the above...you have to hand it to the organisers and volunteers. Possibly the best year so far. My wife and I went to the variety show on the Friday evening. We were both really impressed with the professionalism of the presentation and the quality of the performers etc...ten out of ten.

the festival was very good again this year and they really got lucky with the weather, considering the awful conditions we've had since yesterday morning. My only criticism of the festival is that everything seemed more expensive this year, food prices in particular were up several euros, few of my friends thought the same. They ended up buying food in Macarri's and supervalu instead.

the festival was very good again this year and they really got lucky with the weather, considering the awful conditions we've had since yesterday morning. My only criticism of the festival is that everything seemed more expensive this year, food prices in particular were up several euros, few of my friends thought the same. They ended up buying food in Macarri's and supervalu instead.

I really enjoyed it, but my only gripe was with the cost to get in to the bouncy castles area. 5 euro i thought was madness per child. 2 euro would have been more than enough to pay i think.
    But overall i thought it was great and it's improving year on year so huge well done to the committee.

We had a great time as well at the festival! It was a really good showing by the organisers and well done to all involved. Regarding the costs for bouncy castles/food etc, I would think that was down to each individual business themselves and completely outside the remit of the festival. I do know they have to pay quite a bit to have a space there so maybe they are just recouping their overheads...

On another point, it looks like Dunshaughlin has finally turned a corner....Massimo's doing a well needed complete revamp, Palette & Plate opening where Cafe Bella was (I have seen their website for the business they own in Drogheda and their food looks great!) Boyne Dental to get the aul chompers scrubbed every so often and a new boutique shop thing (clearly not into women's fashion). And we saw they're doing a fair bit of work in the old butchers. I'd like to see a decent butchers go in there.

Or a phone repair shop. I think the town definitely needs another one of those.

And we saw they're doing a fair bit of work in the old butchers. I'd like to see a decent butchers go in there.

If another butcher goes in there it needs to be a very good butcher with a large range of product that is not always available in Supervalu or Lidl. Gleesons would be a good choice.

The past 3 butchers closed down because they had limited product and not a hope of staying in business against Supervalu or Lidl. However I think that unit is a bit too small for a decent butchers like Gleesons.

saw a few young lads painting the outside of the butchers shop yesterday, I'm guessing it could be a phone repair shop or a Chinese takeaway. We shall know for sure over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Branner1

Just wondering if anyone knows what is going on at the old workhouse on the way into Dunshaughlin? Seems to be some renovation work over the past couple of weeks. Is it ever opened up to the public for viewing as a museum at all or what way is kept?

New Cafe opening where Cafe Bella was I see.
    Called Plate and Palette Cafe and opens tomorrow I believe.

• Advertisement

Anyone know when the work on the new Aldi is to start?

Branner1 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows what is going on at the old workhouse on the way into Dunshaughlin? Seems to be some renovation work over the past couple of weeks. Is it ever opened up to the public for viewing as a museum at all or what way is kept?

Yeah, I noticed that too, I just though it's a new entrance to the Workhouse, but I was thinking why do it? :confused:

andreac wrote: »
    Anyone know when the work on the new Aldi is to start?

As the new Aldi Store will be located partly in Madden's existing car park. I think, for work to start on the new Aldi, a few other related things have to be completed first.

• Clear a big portion of Madden's yards to make way for Madden's new car park.
    • Construct new car park / fencing with in Madden's yard.
    • Once the new car park is up and running, construct new boundary fence between Aldi site and Maddens.
    • Start construction of new Aldi store.

So, I think, the place to watch is the left hand side of Madden's Yard. Not too sure how long the above could take, but it will probably take a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭maik3n

It did/does seem in recent weeks that Maddens have trimmed their yard stock so maybe things are on the right track.

Then again, maybe they were just doing a general tidy/clean up of the yard.

What used to be the butchers opposite Tara News is getting kitted out today, I'm afraid to say this but those look like hair dressing chairs being installed on the inside! Possibly another barbers.

What used to be the butchers opposite Tara News is getting kitted out today, I'm afraid to say this but those look like hair dressing chairs being installed on the inside! Possibly another barbers.

Just seen the chairs too, it's not another barbers for sure, the chairs were still in plastic, so a little hard to tell, but to me each chair looked like they had a foot bath, so I think it's a pedicure salon.

As the new Aldi Store will be located partly in Madden's existing car park. I think, for work to start on the new Aldi, a few other related things have to be completed first.

• Clear a big portion of Madden's yards to make way for Madden's new car park.
    • Construct new car park / fencing with in Madden's yard.
    • Once the new car park is up and running, construct new boundary fence between Aldi site and Maddens.
    • Start construction of new Aldi store.

So, I think, the place to watch is the left hand side of Madden's Yard. Not too sure how long the above could take, but it will probably take a few weeks.

I noticed a excavator working in the back of Maddens yard today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

I think a nail bar was mentioned earlier in the thread so chairs for pedicures would make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

Just seen the chairs too, it's not another barbers for sure, the chairs were still in plastic, so a little hard to tell, but to me each chair looked like they had a foot bath, so I think it's a pedicure salon.

Great can get my nails done while I eat Chinese and get my phone repaired!

• Advertisement

Metalpanic wrote: »
    Great can get my nails done while I eat Chinese and get my phone repaired!

You forgot about your hair cut :D

Advertisement