Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

General Dunshaughlin news

1235725

Comments



  • Maysa07 wrote: »
    Did anybody get a chance to see the tumbleweed at Supervalue yesterday? Never seen it as quite, perhaps because of the Lidl opening day, Kinda felt sorry for them :pac:

    To be honest, I just feel sorry for the staff, there'll probably be some form of layoffs as inevitably the footfall will plummet. But I can't say I feel sorry for the owner, he's literally had a monopoly for way too long in Dunshaughlin.

    We had the attitude that we'd go to Lidl for some things and Supervalu for others, but there seems to be such a good selection of stuff that Lidl will definitely be our go to spot for shopping. And then maybe Tesco for other items when elsewhere.

    I'd say the Supervalu in Ratoath will get hit hard as well. Now that place is desperate! Always empty shelves and we've stopped going there for the last few months as we found bakery good to be stale and had to return meat. Again, lack of competition breeds apathy me thinks.




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    But I can't say I feel sorry for the owner, he's literally had a monopoly for way too long in Dunshaughlin.

    I'll never forget the day someone threw a fish at him! But that's a story for another time :D :pac:




  • I Agree,

    I've notice a lot of young fresh faces on the checkouts in Supervalue lately, possibly students, getting a little summer work before September... and in fairness to them, they have supported the local community for the years, sponsoring various events etc..

    I Never done my weekly shopping in supervalue, just popped in for a few essentials every now and then. I think that will stop now for me.




  • rizzee wrote: »
    I'll never forget the day someone threw a fish at him! But that's a story for another time :D :pac:

    Please tell, Sounds interesting :)




  • rizzee wrote: »
    I'll never forget the day someone threw a fish at him! But that's a story for another time :D :pac:

    I would also love to know...:)


  • Advertisement


  • Ah I better not, I like the half - anonymity going on here plus I worked there as a student 10 years ago. I'll stay quiet!

    Anyway.... Lidl :D Going to pop in the weekend to check out the fuss!




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    Any idea how long it will take for the roll out?

    probably 4 to 6 months before it's 'live' I reckon.




  • rizzee wrote: »
    Ah I better not, I like the half - anonymity going on here


    Half - anonymity...?1 :eek:

    Slowly back away from computer and looks around the building.....




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    Half - anonymity...?1 :eek:

    Slowly back away from computer and looks around the building.....

    :D




  • I see Costa have there signage up, with a signs on the windows "OPENING SOON"


  • Advertisement


  • GeneHunt wrote: »
    I see Costa have there signage up, with a signs on the windows "OPENING SOON"

    Seems a fairly big Costa too, taking up two of the units. Just wondering is there enough people here to support a Costa of that size. No doubt it will do great once all the current housing developments are finished.

    It's a bit disappointing that it's a Costa, of all the bigger coffee company's, I think Costa has the weakest coffee. I would have really liked an Insomnia or Cafe Nero.




  • Gonzo wrote: »

    It's a bit disappointing that it's a Costa

    Yeah it's muck :(




  • Look like Costa will be open imminently...passed it while ago and chairs tables bing wiped down etc inside, be very suprised if its not open tomorrow by the looks of things




  • I see a lot of the nearby post offices are to close... Batterstown, Dunsany, Tara and Drumree.




  • Bussywussy wrote: »
    Look like Costa will be open imminently...passed it while ago and chairs tables bing wiped down etc inside, be very suprised if its not open tomorrow by the looks of things

    Jeez that was quick! That whole side of the village looks great now, the place is buzzing!




  • rizzee wrote: »
    I see a lot of the nearby post offices are to close... Batterstown, Dunsany, Tara and Drumree.
    And we thought our only troubles were all the new houses being built.
    We are going to be swamped now, lol.

    The Gables/Tara News road is bad as it is.
    With the increased demand now on the post office, things are going to get worse. :o




  • maik3n wrote: »
    And we thought our only troubles were all the new houses being built.
    We are going to be swamped now, lol.

    The Gables/Tara News road is bad as it is.
    With the increased demand now on the post office, things are going to get worse. :o

    They really, really have to sort out that parking situation beside Kavanaghs Pharmacy. There should be no cars allowed parked there. Idiots parking right at Tara News corner the whole time, just swinging in and jumping out of the car.




  • rizzee wrote: »
    They really, really have to sort out that parking situation beside Kavanaghs Pharmacy. There should be no cars allowed parked there. Idiots parking right at Tara News corner the whole time, just swinging in and jumping out of the car.
    Following the townhall meeting the other night, I think there was SOME movement regarding that road.

    Whether anything actually happens on a practical level soon, is another story though. :(




  • Bussywussy wrote: »
    Look like Costa will be open imminently...passed it while ago and chairs tables bing wiped down etc inside, be very suprised if its not open tomorrow by the looks of things

    I drove passed Costa this morning and noticed a sign on the window saying "NOW OPEN" but it was clear to see that there was still work going on inside. I think your right, it will be open tomorrow or Saturday at the latest.

    I also noticed a big generator (I think - didn't get a good look) at the back of Costa (in the Lidl Car Park area), I wonder has Costa got power yet!

    Has anyone else heard the rumour that Paul Healy of SuperValu is the operator of the Costa?




  • GeneHunt wrote: »
    I drove passed Costa this morning and noticed a sign on the window saying "NOW OPEN" but it was clear to see that there was still work going on inside. I think your right, it will be open tomorrow or Saturday at the latest.

    I also noticed a big generator (I think - didn't get a good look) at the back of Costa (in the Lidl Car Park area), I wonder has Costa got power yet!

    Has anyone else heard the rumour that Paul Healy of SuperValu is the operator of the Costa?

    What?? well that's one way to stop the competition!!


  • Advertisement


  • rizzee wrote: »
    Yeah it's muck :(

    Just be grateful it's not another cheaply fitted out and cheaply sourced food Snug kitchen/Massimos effort!

    Was in costa yesterday, very busy. Said they were testing out opening hours this week and would open 8am-9pm to see where demand lay.




  • They could really do with sorting out the illegal parking on the drive into Maelduin as well. There's no enforcement of the illegal parking there and with the increased traffic in and out of the estate it really is quite difficult to get by at times. Also agree re the parking outside Kavanagh's. Hopefully going forward with the increase in activity they'll move on the traffic/parking issues.

    I heard The Snug are going to start doing tapas on a Friday and Saturday night...if they want to have a change of direction I feel they need to do a total name re brand and a redesign inside and out. Snug Tapas....not so sure I see that working....!

    BTW there was a whole article on Dunshaughlin in Lovin Dublin last week....sponsored by developers of Dun Rioga....

    https://lovindublin.com/sponsored/the-commuters-guide-heres-everything-you-need-to-know-about-living-in-dunshaughlin




  • VicPlum wrote: »
    Just be grateful it's not another cheaply fitted out and cheaply sourced food Snug kitchen/Massimos effort!

    Was in costa yesterday, very busy. Said they were testing out opening hours this week and would open 8am-9pm to see where demand lay.

    Costa seems to be doing very well mid morning to early afternoon. After 4pm there is hardly anyone there and for the past few days Costa has closed before 6pm.




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    They could really do with sorting out the illegal parking on the drive into Maelduin as well. There's no enforcement of the illegal parking there and with the increased traffic in and out of the estate it really is quite difficult to get by at times. Also agree re the parking outside Kavanagh's. Hopefully going forward with the increase in activity they'll move on the traffic/parking issues.
    Funnilly enough, there are now traffic cones running the whole way from the turkish barbers around to the back of the flats behind the courthouse.

    I fear it may be down to the works starting beside Maelduin though,

    th_87160_mael_122_425lo.jpg

    rather than any great developments for the parking situation.

    Mind you, we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth so we can be somewhat glad that the builders have done this. :D




  • maik3n wrote: »
    Funnilly enough, there are now traffic cones running the whole way from the turkish barbers around to the back of the flats behind the courthouse.

    I fear it may be down to the works starting beside Maelduin though,

    th_87160_mael_122_425lo.jpg

    rather than any great developments for the parking situatution.

    Mind you, we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth so we can be somewhat glad that the builders have done this. :D

    Yea, I'd say that's because they're about to start a fairly big build in behind he apartments. I'm fine with this once there's less cars parked on that road!




  • The arrival of LIdl and Costa I think is a fantastic boost for the town (more of a town now, rather than a village).

    My wife and I had a coffee in Costa and had a browse around the supermarket. It felt almost surreal looking around at this new part of the town.

    SoI what else is needed to enhance the area? Personally, I would love to see the arrival of a proper fish n' chip to compete against that miserable Macari's/VIlage Grill outfit.

    And another restaurant wouldn't go astray. The lack of foodie places was really evident during the last Harvest Festival, when there was a long queue for the normally deserted Golden Phoenix "restaurant ".

    Another personal thing for me would be a bicycle shop in the town. I just do a bit of cycling, mainly in the summer months but for repairs etc, I would have to go to ,say, "Stag's" in Lucan.

    One thing we DON'T need is another hair shop!

    So what else do you reckon would be a useful addition to the area?




  • The addition of Lidl and Costa has transformed Dunshaughlin from a dead village with a busy area only at SuperValu into a more lively town with a choice of Supermarkets, a very comfortable Coffee shop, much more parking and open spaces.

    I would really like another food outlet to go between Costa and the Pharmacy, but not a resaturant in that location as that next unit is quite small.

    Something like Subway or Chopped. If I could ask for anything in there it would be a Boojum Mexican Burrito Bar, but Dunshaughlin doesn't have the population for it, I think they only operate in cities.

    We could also do with a proper, modern newsagent that may also cater for tea/coffee/sandwiches/wraps etc.

    When the current housing developments are finished, I wouldn't mind another pub in the town, a larger pub with a cosy wooden and warm atmosphere that specializes in craft beers and a nice inexpensive food menu.

    Dunshaughlin pubs currently mostly just have the same selection of standard beers in them all and the Sibin's food menu is really expensive, far too expensive for what it is.




  • Gonzo wrote: »
    Costa seems to be doing very well mid morning to early afternoon. After 4pm there is hardly anyone there and for the past few days Costa has closed before 6pm.

    Noticed that alright Gonzo. I'd say it'll be a 9-5 opening with maybe 1 late night. Think they'll miss a trick though closing at 5 as once the 5-630 Dinner lull is over you often get people out walking and looking for somewhere that's not the pub for a stop off especially on the brighter evenings.
    I hope they open early at around 8am. Never understand why coffee shops don't open early for the commute trade and at a time when people really need coffee!

    I saw the snug kitchen had their tapas idea advertised on their window today. Starting August 10th it said. Looks like there'll be no much needed rebrand or decor change.

    I'd love a decent night time food place. Somewhere modern, even a gastro pub type place would do very well I'd say. Massimos is just so old fashioned and as has been pointed out the sibin is over expensive and can be quite uninviting with sports blaring out on the screens etc
    Also on my wish list is a swimming pool and a decent deli/local produce type shop.




  • Yea I think everyone's in agreement there's so much going on and so much more to come. I saw there was planning granted for a large petrol station just off the M3 near the new development of Dun Rioga, with permission for off license and food court etc. It would be great if it was something with a decent selection. I doubt it'll be the Barack Obama Plaza, but there'll undoubtedly be a few franchises there if it goes ahead.

    My thoughts on what would enhance Dunshaughlin...

    Definitely a new restaurant. Massimo's hasn't exactly set the town alight and it really looks very drab from the outside. A good place to eat with a bit of effort put into it would be great.

    Banning the piano player from An Shibin at weekends.

    Taxi's. I'm within walking distance of the town centre but when we weren't lack of taxi's was an awful headwreck. It will come in time no doubt.

    A decent gym. The one in the Community Centre is fairly poor in fairness.

    More craft beers. The selection in Supervalu is desperate. And more craft beer in the pubs.

    A parking warden. With a ruthless streak. Drafted in from Louth or Westmeath, someone whose unashamedly and pitifully committed to their job.

    Genuine thought put into future developments and planning in the town. Proper regulation with new developments and regard to the aesthetics of the town.

    A large forest and sea views.

    A few more shops to make the Saturday morning stroll through the town a bit more enjoyable.

    Little or no apartments. I think the more apartments, as a generalisation, I feel it has a lot more short term renters and commuters who don't enhance the sense of community in Dunshaughlin.

    On the spot fine issued by said traffic warden for anyone who refers to the town as DUBshaughlin.

    Stronger Garda presence. There's a lot of young people and it's inevitable there will be more anti social behaviour. I've heard of groups already in one estate in town causing a slight rucus at night.

    Major thought put into the road traffic plans and how the explosion in development will affect the town centre.

    Costa Coffee to be replaced by Starbucks, Or any organisation who can actually make coffee that doesn't taste like milky tea.


  • Advertisement


  • Exile59 wrote: »
    On the spot fine issued by said traffic warden for anyone who refers to the town as DUBshaughlin.

    Or Funshaughlin!

    I'd agree with the majority of your points there. Traffic warden badly needed in particular.

    A swimming pool and new gym is a must. Or a cheap Ben Dunne/ Fit4Less franchise.


    I would also add a small newsagents like Tara news the opposite side of the village, maybe beside Costa. A Centra/Daybreak or Tesco Express like Ratoath.

    I think it's a little soon to suggest an alternative to Costa :D Went in it once last week and like I already knew - muck. I'll take my Tassimo pods over it any day.


Advertisement